Winter tires - Snow's here! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Winter tires - Snow's here!

Chin
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Snow arrived in Colo. and our GreenE needs snow tires. Checking Tire Rack and Discount Tire shows Blizzak DM-Z3 and Michelin Latitude X-Ice as two potentialy good tires. Some E owners may have had good experiences with their winter tire choices, and now would be a good time to let the rest of us know what works...and not. Probably going to get an extra set of wheels for the snows, not the generic steel wheels, but something similar to the OE that came on the EX. Any suggestions from the "Pros"?

fhaxton
09-23-2004, 03:18 AM
From what I've read & my experience:
Blizzaks work well but wear fast. After about 6,000 miles the soft rubber
is gone. I hear different reports on milage.

Nokian Hakkapelliita: I've used these exclusivley for quite a few years.
They wear well, and traction in slush/snow is unbelievable. They
aren't as good on glare ice as blizzaks. They are also hard to
find. e-tires.com has a few, but for hakka truck tires tirefactory.com has a better supply. I haven't dealt with them yet. I've
passed by many a 4wd truck in the snow with a fwd with hakka's.
They are much better on dry roads than blizzaks.

markinmad
09-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Nokian snow tires kick ass. I've been a believer since 1992.

Their non-snow tires are darn nice too. I have a set of the new WRs on our Passat. They're quiet, stick like glue, and if you've seen the tread pattern, they should work pretty well in the snow too.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610503&name=NOKIAN+WR

You'll have to call around to find them, but I believe that they're worth the search.

Mark

boxonw
09-23-2004, 12:32 PM
[quote:9632802a31=" "]From what I've read & my experience:
Blizzaks work well but wear fast. After about 6,000 miles the soft rubber
is gone. I hear different reports on milage.

Nokian Hakkapelliita: I've used these exclusivley for quite a few years.
They wear well, and traction in slush/snow is unbelievable. They
aren't as good on glare ice as blizzaks. They are also hard to
find. e-tires.com has a few, but for hakka truck tires tirefactory.com has a better supply. I haven't dealt with them yet. I've
passed by many a 4wd truck in the snow with a fwd with hakka's.
They are much better on dry roads than blizzaks.[/quote:9632802a31]

Greeting,
I have deal with Tirefactory, very nice people and outstanding service. Give them your business, you glad you did. Prices are unbeatable compared to local dealers.

Sheniferous
09-23-2004, 12:59 PM
snow? what's snow? it's 85 degrees in LA today. Sunny, warm, and beautiful with a view all the way to the mountains.

BigTzElement
09-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Shen you are a liar...I lived in SoCal (Inland Empire)from 1983-2004 and I never saw mountains once. (except when I flew in a plane or drove to them) The smog is too thick to see the mountains in Southern California...hehehe :lol:

DOGBOX
09-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Actually, every once in a while a breeze blows through, temps calm down, and So Cal actually becomes a very pleasant place to be. But then, that wasn't enough of a weather shift to suit my needs. Find I very much appreciate the summers, but there is more to life....Nothing like the chilling nights of fall telling you 3 months have passed, followed by a beautiful first snowfall telling you 3 more, followed by beautiful crisp blossoms and fresh rain/bright skies telling you , yes 3 more. Having lived in So Cal years ago, I consider those year round 80+ temps quite boring.

Anyway, how about a stud tire? Anybody got a good suggestion for those? Or are Blizzaks the way to go these days?

Chin
09-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Monday, here in Colo. it was a sunny, sun-burny 81 degrees; but on Tues we had snow. A few inches at 7000ft, but a lot more in the ski areas, and a few areas actually fired up their snow guns. So, the question remains for those who actually used snow tires last winter: what's good, and what's not good? Reading tire reviews on the Tire Rack site may be helpful, but none were from E owners - mostly SUV and pick-um-ups. Kind of like comparing apples to orangEs.

fhaxton
09-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Go here for snow tire info....good source
www.snowtire.info

ramblerdan
10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Turns out the only Nokian winter tire available in the Element's stock size is the Hakkapeliitta SUV (aka WR). [EDIT: Apparently they are available with or without studs.]

Blizzaks from Tire Rack:
(4) 215/70QR16 DM-Z3 Blackwall $412
(4) 16x6.5 New Steel Wheel Silver Painted $192
UPS Ground $59.38 (to NYS)
Total: $663.38

BTW a local vendor told me the Blizzaks are in short supply because of a factory fire. Yet Tire Rack has them in stock.

Nokians from local vendor:
(4) 215/70R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUVs
(4) 16x6.5 steel wheels
mounting, balancing & installation
NY sales tax
Total: $800

fhaxton
10-02-2004, 04:24 AM
If you can go with 225/75/16 there are a number of nokians you can
use. I think the WR comes in several sizes close to the original.
Agree, don't want studded tires. I think the SUV is studdable but
doesn't have the studs in them. Many nokians are "studdable".
My hakka 1's came that way.
Go to www.tirefactory.com and see the full list of truck tires from nokian.
I'm probably going to get my winter rims with more offset (if that's possible)
so a larger tire will be sure to fit.....Cheers!

fhaxton
10-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Sorry, the address is www.tirefactory.net
Click on Nokian tires and then on SUV tires. You'll see
all the available sizes in truck tires. I'm going with CQ's for
this winter. I think they are the same as the passenger
car hakka Q's which are a fantastic snow/ice tire (unstudded).
The hakka 10's are great snow/off road tires but are
a bit noiser. SUV, CS are also great. For those that want an
all round tire for mostly dry pavement, WR's seem great.
The reviews at www.snowtire.info should help. CLick on the
reviews at the top of the page.