AT shift indicator (at shift lever, not on dash): Panel removal and bulb replacement [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: AT shift indicator (at shift lever, not on dash): Panel removal and bulb replacement

hambone
04-04-2003, 01:33 PM
when i am driving the steering wheel block the view of my guages slightly...

i find myself looking over to the shifter to determine the current gear but the lights on the shifter do not indicate this very well... ( none of the gear numbers/letters appear brighter or darker where the shifter is placed )

is this the same with all elements ?

brendan
03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
The gear markings on the shifter console itself are backlit but *do not change to indicate* which gear you are in.

Some people complained that they weren't lit at all, that is, that the console was completely dark. If that's the case, there's a bulb or wiring problem (as above).

Currently the only way to tell what gear you put the automatic shifter in to look at the instrument cluster in front of you.

-brendan

DaRealXBox360
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone, I have 2003 EX, and lately I noticed that the lights on the gear shift do not come on when I turn the lights on like they are supposed to and I have to hit the side of the assembly near the speaker three or four times to get it come on and stay on. I also noticed that hte light for the temperature gauge appeared to have went out, like a blown bulb or something, but then, i hit the top of the dash and VOILA, it was back on. I am thinking a wiring problem or a short somewhere. Can this be an easy fix that I can do myself? Also I noticed that it has only been doing it since the temperature has dropped. Not crucial, bue extremely irritating and embarassing, any help would be nice.

vandstra
12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
We have 2 E's, one is an '03 and the other an '04. I noticed that the console where the shift lever is located is not illuminated on the '03, therefore I have to look at the dash to verify what gear I am in at night. I ordered a new bulb from the Honda dealership but can't figure out how to install it. Does anyone have any idea how to replace the bulb in the console that houses the shift lever? I would hate to have to bring it in to the dealership and pay shop charges for a burned out bulb.

Thanks.

vandstra
12-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I think I found the answer on another thread right after I posted my question. I found a link to a car alarm installation guide that I think will solve my problem. I will post the result.

Thanks.

vandstra
12-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I was able to successfully change the bulb in the shifter console, but not without significant effort. I took pictures of the process and will see if I can muster the will to post some pics. In short I had to:
1.) Remove the sub woofer cover.
2.) Remove the sub woofer.
3.) Pry out the cover from around the shifter lever.
4.) Remove the cover around the CD player and air vents.
5.) Remove the secondary cover directly around the shifting lever.
6.) In the secondary cover there is a small bulb holder which holds the light. It pops out very easily the new bulb just slides into the socket.
7.) Re-assembled everything in reverse order, which only took about 10 minutes.

I have to say that was a tremendous amount of effort in order to change one tiny little bulb. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in 20 minutes now that I know the best way in which to remove all of the components. However, I think Honda should have made the bulb much more accessible for maintenance purposes. I hope it does not burn out again.

beachhearted
01-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Help!

I got the disappointing news today that my well-kept 2003 EX failed its Maryland state safety inspection (as performed by Ourisman Honda of Bethesda) because the lightbulb that illuminates next to the gear shifter (automatic) is burned out. The quote for repair was $170 (2 hours labor.) I've read on here that it is time-intensive to get to that bulb... but I have not authorized the repair yet because the gear shift indicator on the dash works fine. I don't see why the car is failing inspection if I can clearly tell what gear I'm in.

Even more annoying, is this: if I recall correctly, even when the bulb was working next to the gear shift, nothing lit up brighter nor was there any sort of indicator next to the gear shift that verified what gear I was in. I had to look onto the dash for verification of my gear anyway.

Help!

Can anyone else (the more who do, the better for me!) please respond and let me know if the gearshift indicator by the gearshift on their '03 actually specifies what gear they are in (besides just lighting up with a soft glow behind the numbers/letters?)

If it actually specifies what gear I'm in with brighter lighting for the selected gear or something, I'll consider getting it repaired. (Although the gear shift indicator on the dash clearly works--so I still don't think it's right that the car failed inspection for not having a proper gear shift indicator.)

Otherwise, I'm going to report the dealer's service department/technician to the Maryland State Police Automotive Safety Enforcement Division (they help regulate the safety inspections) for failing my vehicle for not having a cosmetic interior light working.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on the matter, I'd really appreciate it. I desperately need to register/title the car a.s.a.p. (recently moved to MD and my old tags are expiring!), but this is holding me up!!!

ramblerdan
01-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Haven't done this job so can't say specifically how difficult it is. I do know that removing the outer bezel is super easy, so that's a good start.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/807000-807999/807962_17.jpg (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/807962/3)

Bulb (p/n 35505-692-003 (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~bulb~35505-692-003.html)) is No. 1 in illo below and costs less than two bucks!
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/small/select-lever-464999.png (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/chassis/b__35~2003~honda~element~5dr_ex_2wd_sd_air_bag~4at ~ka~select~lever.html)

beachhearted
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the diagram... but any of you '03 owners out there... what I really want to know is whether or not having that bulb working will specifically light up what gear I'm in.

I just called the VA dealer I bought the car from and talked to the service department. They don't think having the bulb will tell me specifically what gear I'm in... they said that as they recall, the '03s have an indicator on the dash, so there's no need for an indicator next to the shifter.

Anyone?

I'm about to give Ourisman Honda an earful for failing my car!!!!!!!!!

lizzurd
01-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the diagram... but any of you '03 owners out there... what I really want to know is whether or not having that bulb working will specifically light up what gear I'm in.

I just called the VA dealer I bought the car from and talked to the service department. They don't think having the bulb will tell me specifically what gear I'm in... they said that as they recall, the '03s have an indicator on the dash, so there's no need for an indicator next to the shifter.

Anyone?

I'm about to give Ourisman Honda an earful for failing my car!!!!!!!!!

The only light up indicator for the shifter is in the guage cluster as you have already stated.

beachhearted
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for people's prompt replies. I just talked to Honda of America and they verified that even if I replace that bulb, it will not specifically indicate what gear I'm in--that the gear shift indicator is definitely considered to be on the dash.

My next step is to find out if my car really failed for not having a way of showing exactly what gear I'm in, or if it was more along the lines of not all the interior lighting that originally came with the vehicle are working.

ramblerdan
01-21-2007, 12:43 AM
The only light up indicator for the shifter is in the guage cluster as you have already stated.
You mean that next to the shifter, there's no little moving box (contrasting color or outline) to indicate the selected gear—not that the entire PRNDL strip isn't illuminated. Yes?

lizzurd
01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
The headlights are adjustable vertically, not horizontally.

You mean that next to the shifter, there's no little moving box (contrasting color or outline) to indicate the selected gear--not that the entire PRNDL strip isn't illuminated. Yes?

Thats what i meant to say.....

beachhearted
01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Dear all,

Here's the update:

Friday night:

When I picked the E up after it failed inspection Friday, I looked at the inspection sheet. The car passed on every single item on it. At the bottom right of the page under "Notes" there was a note that the backlighting bulb was burned out on the shifter column. Then in yellow highlighter they highlighted that the car needed to be repaired and re-inspected within two weeks or whatever.

I told the service dept's assistant manager that it wasn't right that the tech failed my car for something that wasn't even on the inspection sheet as something that needed to be inspected. He told me that according to MD state law, every single lightbulb in the car (original or aftermarket) has to work. Then he changed the subject and went off on tinting and how customers try to customize their cars in unsafe ways—and that it’s his job as a manager to not pass unsafe cars, whether the customers agree with it or not. I found this comment puzzling, because my car is 100% stock—no aftermarket parts or non-manufacturer tinting. I couldn’t believe he was trying to hint that I was pressuring him to pass an “unsafe vehicle.”

Saturday:

I had a friend, a Toyota mechanic, fix the dang bulb Saturday. It took about half an hour, not two hours as Ourisman Honda said it would. But it was a huge waste of my Saturday morning.

Monday:

I took the day off of work Monday to finish straightening things out. In the morning I took the car back to Ourisman for re-inspection. (The original tech who failed the car has to visually re-inspect it, according to the law. Fortunately, it was a visual re-inspection... but it still wasted yet more of my time as I waited for him to have a chance to look at the car.)

I told the assistant manager it took half-an-hour to fix, not two hours, and that I was not amused by their overblown estimate to repair a $2 bulb. He didn’t really say anything in response. In fact, he may have brought up tinting again.

In the meantime, the MD state police inspector called me. (This is the police officer who helps to regulate the county’s inspection stations.) He said that Ourisman Honda was definitely "fishing,” and that they should not have failed my car… that it’s not their job to read into and interpret the law the way they did in the case of my inspection. He said that if I can see what gear I'm in from the indicator on the dash, it doesn’t matter that the light is burned out on the console, especially if the console lighting doesn’t specify what gear I’m in. (Too bad I already went and got it fixed!) He told me he’d speak to the tech at Ourisman and straighten him out and tell him my car should have passed in the first place.

Right before I left, after passing inspection, the assistant manager told me that the police inspector just spoke with the tech. In a cheerful manner he said, “The tech says he’s failed hundreds of cars for bulbs being out just like that.” No apology. I told him I didn’t appreciate any of this, he changed the subject back to how people with tinting have to be very careful in Maryland. I almost hauled off on him for bringing up tinting again, but I took my keys and left instead.

I’ll never go back to Oursiman again… way to treat a fairly new customer! I’ll just take my car all the way back to Brown Arlington Honda in VA where I bought the car. Their service has always been excellent.

Within three more hours (and $495 later) I had MD license plates and was on my way home. I felt like I had just won an Academy Award when they handed me the plates.

The whole thing was even more frustrating because my VA registration had expired 12/31/06… but MD has a long titling process, so I couldn’t even register my car until last week when they sent me a letter saying they’d processed my title. I started the registration process in mid December not realize they couldn’t just issue me temporary tags. At that time, the MD MVA/DMV associate suggested I just renew my VA plates to prevent my car from being totally unregistered. I tried to, but VA wouldn’t let me because I had already changed my license over to MD. I had to restrict my driving for fear of getting pulled over and having the car confiscated!

So then when Ourisman failed my car for ambient lighting, I had just heard enough.

What a mess.

Thanks for all of your comments. And don’t let your safety inspectors take you for a ride!

Rowdy
09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
My center temp. control knob light is out also... Quite frankly its getting very annoying. The dealer quoted me $240. Does that not sound insane?!!!

Does anybody know if there is a quick access way to get to that bulb or which panels to remove? Thanks in advance guys..

Let's see if I can remember. Leave the ignition key in the on position so You can shift the Auto into N. Grab the top edge of the face plate with your finger nails and pull real darn hard (don't talk to me about broken finger nails and such, I just don't care) It will pull forward and come lose around the edges. Once it is lose all the way around there is an electrical plug on the right side. Place shifter in park and Turn the key off and unplug the plug. You will have to press in the side tabs on the plug to get it to separate. You should then be able to pull the faceplate and the knobs and all that stuff clean off. The round part under the shifter stays in place. And the faceplate comes off around it. The vents also stay in place. Use a good screw drive and Unscrew the bulb that is out, replace with correct bulb, ordered with a one-week wait, always order two or three.

Place the faceplate back in the general area where it goes. Turn the key on and move the shifter into the N position. Plug in the plug that was unplugged before. Make sure the faceplate is lined up all the way around and press in firmly.

Vacuum out the inside of the element, give it a bath and you should be ready to go.

GoodE
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey, Just noticed that the lights are out in my shift console. AT Transmission
UKnow the PRHD21 Lights. DIdn't look at the manual yet to check the fuse location. Just figured I'd ask. Thanks for any info.-GoodE:confused:

wastedonanime
11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm not familiar with the AT shifter, but chances are you can replace the light if you pop off the center piece. The hazard switch has a bulb which can be replaced by unlocking the bulb holder (identical to the HVAC and gauge cluster lights) and replacing the bulb or the entire unit. I'm willing to bet the shifter light is the same...

wastedonanime
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Easier for MT's than AT's I would imagine. I've never actually seen anyone talk about how hard it is to remove the center console with the AT but I would imagine its not terribly hard.

The procedure is quite easy actually. For an MT, you twist off the shift knob first then proceed. With an AT, you may have to do the same thing or pop out the lower part... *shrug*. All I know is that you need to put it into neutral. After you handle the shifter - with a medium sized flathead screwdriver wrapped in a terry cloth, carefully wedge it between the lower left corner and pry it up until the piece snaps out of that area. The plastic can be easily damaged and so take your time doing this. Repeat for the lower right side. At this point, you can just grab the piece with your hands (gloves are a good idea if you're doing this for the first time, its very stiff) and pull in an upward/towards you direction slowly to pop out the remaining pieces. Keep in mind that the HVAC controls and the hazard button is still connected. You'll have to maneuver it with the AT shifter somehow. Once it is free, reach behind and remove the two plugs (press in the tab then pull). Once those are free, the whole thing should be loose.

Turn it around and you'll see 6 holes in the HVAC unit with grey plastic circles with flathead screwdriver inserts and two pieces of metal sticking out on each end. All you have to do is take your screwdriver and twist to the left until it unlocks. Flip the unit upside down and gently shake it out. The bulbs are built into the post and if you goto Honda you can buy it as a whole unit. There are two for each face - one for the button and one for the face. Replace as necessary. Shouldn't cost very much...

If you want to change the colors, that's a whole other ballgame.

divestoclimb
11-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey wasted, did you know for us MT's you can remove the center console without using a screwdriver to pry it off?

After you get the shift knob off, you can grip the console through the shift boot to pull it off. No chance of dinging up the console with tools that way. I wish I had known about this before I tried it the first time...

ramblerdan
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tip, Dives. The manual says to remove the subwoofer cover and subwoofer; remove the shifter knob; push the shifter boot bezel out from below with a wooden hammer handle (or similar); and finally remove the center panel. That was a fair amount of work; I'll try the snatch-and-grab method next time!

wastedonanime
11-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Hey wasted, did you know for us MT's you can remove the center console without using a screwdriver to pry it off?

Haha yeah... good point! I recently discovered that little trick. Makes life so much easier. Then again I've taken that piece off so many times it comes off much easier than the first time which took an extraordinary amount of effort. : )~

Do what he said if you can. Reduces the risk of damaging the bottom of that plastic. Also, don't be alarmed if the flat piece surrounding the shift boot pops out. If it does, just continue removing the rest of the main piece and snap that one back in afterwards.

GoodE
12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
well, my Odometer and shift lights went out a few weeks ago. changed the odometer lights. EEAASSYY! But, I had to use the other bulbs mentioned.
in my other post odometer lights. The shift display light bulb. Breath, it will be Okay. Carefully remove the trim panel that surrounds the AT shifter and includes the Hazard Button. Dissconnect the hazard button harness. Now, it would be best to remove all of the center console trim(for ease) But, I did not. Look at the top and bottom of the gray shifter unit. you will see it is clipped on to a black sub structure. Becareful, it is plastic. Patience, getting all four corners unclipped will take some care and cursing. With the center console trim still on....It's super tight. Now, with the shifter circle hanging around the shifter. Look on the left edge top and bottom. Push inthe bottom black strip to detatch the PRND12 section. twist the the bulb counter clockwise to release the bulb. Replace with a # 74 bulb IT WILL FIT!!
Then, it's time to button it all back up. Then grab a tasty beverage an enjoy watching the NE Patriots lead the Steelers.- Later GoodE:lol:

UP&ATOM
07-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I had the same problem with my gear selector light and my AC/ Fan light in the center consol. When I mentioned it to my Honda mechanic, he popped the subwoofer panel off, tightened the collection of ground wires (located on a small pillar to the left of the subwoofer, on the driver's side) and the problem was corrected.

Easy Peasy.

And at no charge. :D

Bengoshi-San
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
So it's just basically a grounding problem?

UP&ATOM
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Just saying...it appears to have solved my problem. :D

You could still have a bad bulb...

mehlhorn
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
My 04 Element shift light has gone out (the one that lights up the PRDN12). How do I remove the cover to access the bulb? Does anyone know the part number for it?

ramblerdan
10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome, Mehlhorn.

Part number appears to be 35505-692-003, but you should be able to take the old bulb into a parts store and match it to a common one.

mehlhorn
10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
The light bulb that lights up the P R D N 1 2 on my automatic (i guess that obvious) 2004 E is out. I had some battery problems but i replaced the battery and everything is back to normal - exept that light. How do I go about opening the shift panel thing to access the bulb? Could it be a fuse or something from the battery issues??

bh241
10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken the panel is removed from the 'bottom'. Pull the sub cover, and use the wooden handle of a hammer to 'pop' the circular piece off.

Again, I'm pulling this from memory - I don't have the service manual handy right now.

bh241
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
It's not an indicator per-say, but a general illumination lamp.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40428&stc=1&d=1280344442http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/spacer10.gifhttp://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40429&stc=1&d=1280344442

mehlhorn
10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Ok, so I got the subwoofer cover off easily but still dont see how i get the upper panel off. I see from the pic how its one piece, but I dont want to force it off. Please provide some more details for removal.

In the meantime I have modified my side markers to blink with the turn signals and fixed my rear bushings. Today I may tackle the grille HD mod! Then who knows.

bh241
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Take a look-see at these instructions (http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/elementsecurity.pdf) for installing the security system. It should show you how to get it off.

On a side note, check out the FAQ/How To's (ttp://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/faq.php) link above, it really does have a wealth of information. ;-)

mehlhorn
10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone, I finally removed it last night by jamming a plastic screw driver in and then pulling with everything i had.

Now I have another issue....Hazards...I posted the new thread a few minutes ago.

Thanks again everyone.

Augmach5
01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I changed my bulbs out today and noticed that its next to impossible to pry up the sides of the trim housing using fingers and if you use a small screwdriver the plastic scratches before you can even get a good grip. A simple way to take off the cover for those that have a manual transmission is to just pull up the shift boot, reach in and grab the trim housing, comes off easily in seconds !

bh241
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
take a look at the instructions for the security system install (http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/elementsecurity.pdf), it shows how to get everything apart - and most importantly - back together.

twrundar
07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Not sure if the at is the same as the mt but on the mt the plate just pops up. Use a plastic blade and lift at one of the top corners and and it comes up. At least on my mt E it did, not sure if the at is the same.

obogobo
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I need to remove this piece so I can glue a mount for my Zune down and clamp it to dry. Is this an easy process? Thanks :cool:

Yoda E SC
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
yes the whole trim around the radio, shifter, vents all pops off as one piece. then you can pop that part out of the shifter surround. if not they want you to take the subwoofer out and stuff to push it out from underneath. see attached.

obogobo
09-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Awesome diagram thanks a lot :D

queenofsteene
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I've had my SOP Element (Spidey) for about two years now. I'm trying to "improve" her. The previous owner had used TWO -- TWO cell phone holder adhesives, and they made huge marks on the silver part of the console -- well, it's by the shifter. Sorry for lack of technical terms. I just love Spidey and feel bad whenever I see the marks. :-(

Thanks for any and all help. I was thinking paint or replacement parts? But I'm not sure where to even begin looking for paint to match...

Colleen

BigAl205
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
You could just order a new trim http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ELEMENT&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=INSTRUMENT+PANEL+GARNISH+%28DRIVER+SIDE%2 9

ramblerdan
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
#14 or #7? I think they only come in one color for all 2003s (and more).

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/inst_panel_garnish_driver.gif (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/interior_bumper/b__3710~2003~honda~element~5dr_ex_4wd_sd_a_1_b~5mt ~ka~instrument~panel~garnish.html)

Dallan
09-21-2009, 05:56 PM
#14 or #7? I think they only come in one color for all 2003s (and more).

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/inst_panel_garnish_driver.gif (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/interior_bumper/b__3710~2003~honda~element~5dr_ex_4wd_sd_a_1_b~5mt ~ka~instrument~panel~garnish.html)

How exactly does one go about removing those pieces? I've heard about the Honda Trim Tool set, but it seems like it could be done otherwise. Any ideas?

Sprunch
09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Please tell, someone got into my E and tried to pry out the radio surround with a screwdriver so I will be looking at #7 & #8...:D

ramblerdan
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
The radio surround is simply pried out. Takes a fair amount of force, and it's easy to mar the finish. A good trim tool is key here (or a screwdriver and not caring about the marks).

I haven't removed the big piece (#7), but I think it just pops out. Search for threads on painting this piece; maybe there are instructions for removal.

The shifter surround is supposed to be pushed out from beneath. Service manual calls for a hammer handle. If you have an EX, it's necessary to remove the subwoofer. However IIRC someone has posted that you can just put your fingers "through" the shifter boot and yank it out from above.

Yoda E SC
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
here you go...

Yoda E SC
09-22-2009, 12:44 PM
http://documents.victorytechnologies.com//documents/product/938.pdf

those are the metra kit instructions that tell how the whole panel comes out just for that reason so the other panels dont get damaged.

Attaway
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Need to replace gear selector light (light in the "PRND21" 'window' beside the shift knob). Do I have to remove the center console panel? Are is there a easier method. I learn by pictures :lol:. Thanks

ramblerdan
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
The service manual says to remove the center cover and subwoofer (EX), then push the panel out from underneath. Some say you can just dig your fingers in and yank it out, but I haven't tried that.

Orthodox method is also found in the security system installation instructions (http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/elementsecurity.pdf) (pp 3-4).

scubamac
02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
:? I have a 03 E with an automatic tranny. I need to remove the circular gear indicator. I have the center console removed. However the indicator plate doesn't slide up over the shifter handle. I'm guessing that I need to remove the handle. My question----How? Why you ask? I'm refinishing the interior trim pieces and I want that piece to match the console. Thanks in advance.

Mike

mab
05-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I drive an '03 EX AT with just over 50,000 miles on it. Recently, the lights on the shift lever column have gone out. That is, the "D" is no longer illuminated when the car is in drive, the "P" in park, etc.

Is this a fuse or connector issue, or a light bulb? Can someone point me in the direction of how to make this repair?

Thanks!

ramblerdan
05-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Welcome, Mab.

The PRND21 window next to the shifter lights up to show all the choices, but it doesn't specifically illuminate the selected gear. The one on the gauge cluster does.

Threads merged.

mbologna
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks. And thanks for merging the threads. I now see the instructions for how to replace the light. Even though it does not tell you what gear it is in, I am used to seeing it lit up and do want to replace the bulb.

MennoToaster
11-10-2010, 08:02 AM
ahhh man the hazard button is supposed to light up? Can somebody take a photo of their interior lit up? God knows how many light bulbs I have out, this is sad...

ramblerdan
11-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes, the hazard button is illuminated. See right-hand photo in post #30.

Jon1011
12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a comparable part to:

Honda 35505-692-003 BULB (14V 1.4W)

auto parts stores here do not carry the part and ordering would be paying $10 for shipping and handling or if anyone knows of a comparable LED replacement part or directions how to solder something together that will fit, since it is such a pain to get to? Thanks.

Jon

ramblerdan
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/shifter01.gifhttp://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/spacer20.gifhttp://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/shifter02.gif

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/shifter03.gifhttp://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/spacer20.gifhttp://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/shifter04.gif

hapyface
07-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Quick question, what is the LED equivalent of Bulb (p/n 35505-692-003)

KoolBlue
07-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Quick question, what is the LED equivalent of Bulb (p/n 35505-692-003)

I don't know about an LED equivalent but the OEM bulb is only 3 dollars and change at your local Honda dealer.

hapyface
07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't know about an LED equivalent but the OEM bulb is only 3 dollars and change at your local Honda dealer.

i am planning on doing the LED mod and would like to know what it may be to order it

DEP
10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
2006 4WD E with 80K miles. Indicator on dashboard works fine. Transmission works fine. But, the transmission (gear) indicator light incorporated in the shifter handle panel fails intermittently.

Has anyone else had this problem? Know the fix?

I do not have the shop manual or the electrical manual. Does anyone know what activates the lights on the shifter panel?

Does the shifter indicator light work off the same sensor down in the transmission that the dash indicator uses OR is there something different about what controls the shifter's indicator lights?

If both the dash and the shifter indicator lights are activated by the same sensors in the transmission, what should I check before I start suspecting a short in the wiring?

Eww-an E
10-09-2013, 11:29 PM
That panel doesn't light up to indicate which gear you're in, it only comes on when the parking lights/head lights are on. I'm guessing the filament in that bulb is broken just enough to occasionally make contact and light up. Replacing the bulb should cure your problem.

DEP
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Eww - an E :

Thanks for the tip. I believe your guess is probably correct. Driving home last night, I crossed a busy and the crown of the road was smooth but caused a very slight vibration which was just enough to restore the shifter indicator light.

I wasted a ton of time researching this issue as Honda "transmission" or "gear indicator". Tried "shifter" indicator light and the first page of the SERPs is one result for each Honda model E, CRV, Odessey, etc. The most useful info came from a Civic owner's thread where someone thought their problem might be a loose ground wire.

If possible, I will try the bulb before I remove the sub-woofer to access the rear ground wire connection to avoid the hassle of removing the sub-woofer, etc. ERHH!

Again, THX

ramblerdan
10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Threads merged. DEP, see above.

If you remove the subwoofer cover, note that the two expansion clips on the lower sides are a bit peculiar. To remove, press the center pin in, then remove the clip. To reinstall, push the center pin out (as pictured below); put the clip back; and press the pin flush to lock it again. Any other method will break the clip.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/91550-s50-000z.gif

Eww-an E
10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Eww - an E :

Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.

Legioss
10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Threads merged. DEP, see above.

If you remove the subwoofer cover, note that the two expansion clips on the lower sides are a bit peculiar. To remove, press the center pin in, then remove the clip. To reinstall, push the center pin out (as pictured below); put the clip back; and press the pin flush to lock it again. Any other method will break the clip.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/91550-s50-000z.gif

I hate those clips.

I personally found it easier to lift the whole center trim to get in there. GearShift to Neutral. RadioTrim>Center Trim>ShifterTrim>Bulb

johneday
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Posts 64, 66, 57 and 22 were very helpful - thank you. I listed them in that order because that's the order in which the light is changed.

1. Removed subwoofer cover by removing two black plastic clips and mentioned in Posts 64 and 66.
2. Removed subwoofer via 4 bolts, unhooked subwoofer electrical connection.
3. Reached in and pushed up with hammer handle (as shown in Post 57) until the cover containing the hazard light popped up. Unhooked that electrical connector to hazard light.
4. Then I had to fiddle a bit to remove the circular cover containing the shift indicator. There are two sets of black clips to remove this piece - one set on top, one lower. I used a screwdriver to push in the black clip until the gray plastic of the circular cover was free. Then had to squeeze pretty good to pop out the cover once clips were released.
5. Then reached behind that circular cover you just removed and there is the black connector for the little light bulb. Turn the little black plastic holder clockwise to access the tiny bulb. Part 2721 (Sylvania or equivalent at auto parts store.)

ej9071
04-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Funny you mentioned a grounding problem. My 06 element shifter light would come on after I tapped on the plastic surrounding the shifter. I will try this before I go to replace the bulb