25k need new tires? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 25k need new tires?

zarathustra
10-13-2004, 05:33 PM
This has prob been addressed but I have 25k on my E and my tires need to be replaced.........has this been anyone elses experience?

Also, where is a good place to get reasonable priced tires?

paulj
10-13-2004, 05:44 PM
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9618

zarathustra
10-13-2004, 05:49 PM
wonder what the average mileage peeps are getting out of the tires.

Bald Eagle
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
You know if you hadn't gone for the upgraded air in your tires, you probably would have gotten 40K out of them.

hownowcb
10-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Mike -- nice call on the upgraded air, but what surprised me is that it's taken me all this time to notice that the hand holding the gun in his avatar is female? Anyone else noticed the red fingernail polish before? Still, it's nice to see an old poster come back for a few remarks. :lol:

One poster recently commented on being impressed that he felt his OEM tires were gonna last close to 50K miles, in spite of his self-described moderately aggressive driving style. "Search" is probably futile, but I'd bet Brendan can find the link. :wink:

Bald Eagle
10-13-2004, 09:02 PM
[quote:cdecaf3c90=" "]...it's taken me all this time to notice that the hand holding the gun in his avatar is female? Anyone else noticed the red fingernail polish before?[/quote:cdecaf3c90]
Uhhhh...you mean...guys...aren't supposed to wear...red fingernail polish? :shock:

Genom
10-13-2004, 10:16 PM
No, only black nail polish...not that I ever have :wink:

brendan
10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
[quote:54ef1e9581=" "]Mike -- nice call on the upgraded air, but what surprised me is that it's taken me all this time to notice that the hand holding the gun in his avatar is female? Anyone else noticed the red fingernail polish before? Still, it's nice to see an old poster come back for a few remarks. :lol:

One poster recently commented on being impressed that he felt his OEM tires were gonna last close to 50K miles, in spite of his self-described moderately aggressive driving style. "Search" is probably futile, but I'd bet Brendan can find the link. :wink:[/quote:54ef1e9581]

Re: red nails
Why yes, yes I did.

Re: searching for 50K
To tired tonight. Why don't you give it a try, Colin?

-brendan

Kayakin' Dan
10-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Man, I didn't get 23k outa mine. Cheap crappy Wanglers anyway.

hownowcb
10-14-2004, 02:32 AM
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=94847&highlight=tires#94847

zarathustra
10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
I brought my tires back to Goodyear and they are seeing if they will cover them under warranty, 25k out of a tire is bull****.

Wish me luck...... :wink:

hownowcb
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I remember when I was a newbie (over a year ago), thinking that you had kind of an edgyness about you. Crabby sometimes, but always a viable candidate for captain of the E cheerleading squad. Maybe its only me, but sometimes it feels like I've only been "holding" your seat until you return from one of your absenses.

Let us know how you fare with the Goodyear people.

chozn4service
10-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I just turned 20K on my Element and I was dissapointed that the tires were thin. My wife is the primary driver and I was so concerned I called Goodyear. I was told that the Wrangler H/P were not a tire that they would use as an OEM tire. Was also was told the the tire should get 45K on it. I was instructed to go and get a excessive tire wear from one of three locations here in my town. Tire Barn, Goodyear or Discount Tire. The eval showed that my tires from the dealership were out of balance. I had been up on all my rotations and all that but the balance or lack there of caused the wear. Needless to say I got my tires replaced. I was upgraded to BF Goodrich Dueler H/L's. This is a great tire! Rated for and has a guaranty for 60K, free replacement for three years. Comes in raised white letter or black. Good looking tire, super smooth and quiet. It's a little wider than the Wrangler which is good and seems to fill up the wheel well a little more. I'm comletely satisfied with this tire. Wet roads it's a sure grip performer. Check out Tire Rack on it.

paulj
10-16-2004, 08:32 PM
If the tires were out of balance, I would expect vibration.

chozn4service
10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Yea, I thought so too on the vibration. Aparently it wasn't enough to cause me to be concerned or to notice and I drive alot with my sqaud car, our GS400 and the Element. I'm not the primary on the E but I do know the tires were very thin. I had heard that they wear fast after the first 5000 miles on them and then slowly slow the wear but by then their not worth much on wet or slick roads. None the less I got em replaced and I'm a happy camper.

zarathustra
10-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I went to a goodyear dealer, they said thetires should have lasted longer and were balanced correctly.

Goodyear offered me a $50.00 credit on each tire. I was satisfied.

chozn4service
10-17-2004, 08:04 AM
I was offered new tires. My option was to drive them until they got down to 2/32 which I felt unsafe on them as it was especially going on a trip soon through the Smokey Mountians, or have them replaced now at whatever the tire center suggested. I opted for the later of the two. I have a meaty, beefy tire in the Duelers H/L's.

DOGBOX
10-17-2004, 11:10 AM
I've had wranglers on other vehicles and found them to last and be very good. Guess they just aren't the best tire for an E.