Hosing out your Element? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Hosing out your Element?

pdub
02-04-2003, 12:22 AM
Now I would personaly never put a water hose in my car, but some people have mentioned to me that they've seen a commercial with a person hosing out there Element.... am I going nucking futs? Let me know what you think... Do you think the seats or floors could take the water?.... my guess is no.

RML
02-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Pdub,

Good question. The Honda book that comes with the Element says not to hose it out. :!: While the seats and floor would be able to take it (don't ask how I know this), the gauges and other components would have a hard time.

The floor you can wipe out real easy, and if you get the all season floor mats and or the cargo tray, it make clean up much easier. Them you can hose off real easy.

I have not seen the commercial you talked about, but I would say that was pushing it.

It does clean up real nice, but I would not go about hosing the inside.

pdub
02-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Where on Honda's site did you see the hose thing? I'd like to see the pic. And, just for piece of mind I'd like to state that I don't plan on hosing my car out. My old truck used to leak water in through the windshield, which contributed to an old sock smeel in the car.... not fun.
:roll:
-pdubintheatx

PSKBEAR
02-06-2003, 03:02 PM
When we went to the initial Element ride and drive, several dealers had the very same question. And the Answer is no.. The internal wiring harness' are not weatherproofed. So, washing out the internals with a hose would not be the best thing you could do for your El. However, you can bucket wash the interior with a sponge and soapy water without worry.

billrouse
02-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Don't do it...the speakers are NOT weatherproof!

burnt-O
02-16-2003, 08:56 PM
When I bought my E, the dealer told me that there is something out there, or coming out, that you can hose down because it comes with drains in the floorboards, but that the E does not, and should only be wiped down with a sponge.

ibutchman
02-16-2003, 09:07 PM
there is some kind of soft insulation under the floor. I would be afraid a heavy flow of water would find itself under the floor and into the insulation. :? I'm just gonna sweep and wipe.

ExpressElement
05-20-2003, 04:37 PM
I think it is just a rumor. You cannot take a hose to the inside of a car with speakers and other electronic equipment. Would be nice though.

pmhesse
05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
I think the biggest problem would be water running into the well where the spare tire is kept. I don't know if there is any drainage out of there. I don't plan to hose mine down, but I won't fear a good thick sponge and a bucket of water :)

lon777
05-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Hosing out the car - nasty rumour. The wet "swiffers" work great for cleaning the floor.

Staggie
05-20-2003, 10:00 PM
I was a possible feature in the Model X prototype (including a drain). It wasn't practical for a production version apparently. Honda's never indicated that you can "hose out" the E.

Kamakiri
05-21-2003, 09:15 PM
A friend of mine owns a Honda dealership and I learned that early marketing hype mentioned hosing out the interior but a lack of proper drainage plus the location of rear passenger climate ducts under the front seats make it a poor idea. Marketing was instructed to back off from such comments so you shouldn't find any mention of such from any official Honda source.

Even if you can't literally hose it out it's still gotta be one of the easiest interiors to keep clean. We've got a two year old and the interior finishes were one of the big selling points for me.

MatT3T4
05-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Ahhh, I see. Now I remember...I first saw the Element in 2001 at the LA Auto Show, when it was the Model X...and one of the cool features was the hoseable interior. I fell in love with the car when I saw it, and knew that I would have one should Honda ever release it...and they did, so I got it! But yeah, after inspecting the interior, I just couldn't find it feasable to hose it...but EVERY DAY, a new person asks me if I can, lol

HEK
05-23-2003, 10:01 AM
[quote:cd6ef15b2b="MatT3T4"]Ahhh, I see. Now I remember...I first saw the Element in 2001 at the LA Auto Show, when it was the Model X...and one of the cool features was the hoseable interior. I fell in love with the car when I saw it, and knew that I would have one should Honda ever release it...and they did, so I got it! But yeah, after inspecting the interior, I just couldn't find it feasable to hose it...but EVERY DAY, a new person asks me if I can, lol[/quote:cd6ef15b2b]

I know some ppl who really don't take care of their car especially the interior...but why would anyone even consider it??....
Even after my dog takes adip in the pond and comes inside with his muddy paws...a wet sponge takes care of it.... :roll:

yelapa
06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
I have been unable to find any current info form Honda indicating that hosing down the interior is recommended or feasible. Even so, there are some things that possibly CAN be done that SHOULD NOT be done. Hosing down the interior of your new E has got to be one of them. Wait till its ten years old or so. Seriously, I would be concerned about corrosion from water settling into places where it cannot readily dry.

yelapa

jsc173
06-26-2003, 03:15 PM
The only thing the Honda dealer mentioned to me is since the rear seats are "stadium seats" (they sit higher than the fronts), there is a "well" for the front seats that will collect water and won't drain.

Teh dealer told me, officially, Honda has never said it's a "hose out" interior. Sponge out, maybe.

Oznecsad
08-28-2003, 12:38 AM
I would recommend against it, namely because I'd hate to get my subwoofer or door speakers soaked. I also read somewhere that was just a nasty rumor, probably started by the "nifty things the Model X can do" (passenger seat could face rearward, both doors opened independently, etc.)

Oz

Staggie
08-28-2003, 01:16 AM
[quote:5e20ebef46="Wheezer"]Honda says you can just hose the Element out to clean it :shock: . Come on! Has anyone actually done this? :roll:[/quote:5e20ebef46]\
Honda never said this about the Element. The Model X had a drain in the floor and it was mentioned only in relation to that prototype. Some reviewers have erroneously referred to the hoseable interior, but it based on ideas in the Model X that were not practical for production. (One question: if you were to hose it out, how would you get the water out? Especially the water in the spare tire well.)

Why wont this rumor die?

Ger Brassfield
08-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, if ya can't HOSE it out, then get the leaf blower and BLOW it out, that ought to be lots simpler!!

Ger

spldr
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't hose it out, no. And my dealer went out of his way to tell me that that was a rumour.

I have 2 dogs with muddy little feets, and I DO swab the thing out with a big old wet towel. Just like mopping it out, sort of.

Gelement
09-01-2003, 10:37 PM
One reason the hose down rumor won't die is because Honda salesman say that you can hose it down. I was looking at the E's in Modesto, CA at Mistlin Honda and was floored at how little the salesman know about the E. While the salseman was showing off the E's many features he said that because of the plastic flooring I could just " stick a water hose inside and hose it down". I would really suggest that if Honda wants to keep the E around for a while that they better give the sales force a bit more training.

marky
09-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Well, you can't hose it out, but you can use a leaf blower, no problem.

SuperJETT
09-07-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm going to convert my spare tire well into an aquarium, since IT DOES NOT HAVE A DRAIN HOLE. Just think, get a lexan cover for it so you can check out the fish without having to take the cover out.

Everyone, tell everyone you see, including the McD's drivethrough person that it's not hoseable.

:twisted:

klynch13
09-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Don't put water in your element. The water will creep everywhere you don't see and probably do more worse than good. If your that worried about the floor use a mop or a wet swifter. Don't use a hose you'll end up ruining the car.

looseleaf
09-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey like the Aquarium in the back trick. If one puts a shark in there it would become a SHARK-E.

When they referred to the hose-able E they actually meant all us owners!

sparky472
09-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Just in case ayone needs validation on this subject, I had my windshield replaced, and they didn't do the job right, so it leaked during a night of rain. The next morning there was a little pool of water on the passenger floor, in the front corner.

The car started smelling very musty. I took it to the Honda dealer today and they have to pull up the whole floor, and replace it with a new one, because the padding underneath is soaked and moldy.

Luckily the windshield place will pay for it. The big problem is, they put in a second windshield after not being able to get a good seal on teh first one, and it still has problems . This time, ratttling, not leaking. They are going to refund my money, and I will have the guy the local Honda dealer use. I hope he can get it right the first time.

Sons of Liberty
09-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I remove the mats and use a shop vac that really sucks to pick up the loose particles. Then I get a bucket full of hot water and an old washcloth and "mop" it out. While it is not hosing it out, it is just as effective.

I love my E! I will never get a car with carpets again!

Regards,
SOL

ktsnake
09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
When I got my Element home, I tried hosing it out. After soaking out the water in the floor wells with a towel, I was done. I backed it a little out of the driveway and heard a "Sploosh" sound from the back of the car.

I checked in the spare tire well and 'sho nuff, it was full of water. I removed the spare tire and everything. I can guarantee you, there is no drain plug anywhere on this vehicle.

For anyone that is tempted to hose it out, I'd just recommend you use a damp towel. Same results, less cleanup.

Carrie Kopp
09-25-2003, 06:49 PM
I vaccumed mine with a shop vac, then took a bucket of plain water and a small towel and basically mopped it out. Looked brand new!!! very easy, only took 5 minutes. All the sand from the beach wiped right out!! That's what I love about my E, No carpet!!!!!!

LadyJane
10-07-2003, 10:47 PM
The no carpet feature was something that definitely drew me to the E. It's just sooooo easy to clean out with a wet towel. My kids have spilled all sorts of nasty things...chocolate milk, orange juice, soda, even let a candle melt on the floor on a hot day...and it all comes right up! :D

Montster
11-09-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't think so... All the hype about hosing the element comes from an image depicting a college student in front of a gas station or laundry mat with all his belongings on the floor while he stands by his element doors wide open with hose in hand.
The truth is any cars interior can be hosed and drained. The catch is that the water is going to collect in crevices corroding and rusting your brand new element.
Gee? I wonder what that funky musty mildew smell is?
Just treat it like any other vehicle... with care.

In the mean time... enjoy life beyond the walls. :idea:

lae10851
11-09-2003, 02:06 AM
I'll be sticking to the shop vac for sure! (Its soooo much easier)

wmas1960
06-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I have been reading a lot on this and I have heard that there IS NOT a drain hole in the wheel well. Now, that could be wrong information but I did see a knock out in the wheel well when I was installing my exhaust finisher. The reply to my pointing that out was that the knock out in question is a hole to bring in the wiring harness for the trailer hitch. Do you have a trailer hitch installed?

Besides all that, it seems that my floor and the floors in all the Es I have seen have a little squishyness to them. That is they seem as though they could be padded. Whether the floor is powder coated or not, and thus may not rust, the possibility for mold and mildew to grow in a damp dark space under the floor, causing health issues, allergy problems and odors, would seem pretty great. My old car developed a leak in the trunk the result has been a wet and nasty smell in the whole car. I just cleaned it all out and left the windows open for a while. Will probably have to do that over and over for the next several weeks. Further, items that I used to carry in the old car, like my bowling bag and some video equipment bags, have absorbed that smell and probably are permently effected.

I was just out in my Element cleaning up a few things, getting ready to install some accessories, if only FEDEX will arrive, and I noticed at least a dozen places where water could seep under the floor and cause problems down the road. From the area behind the peddles and the dash, along the firewall, to the edges under the door frame trims to everywhere that a seat bolt or other hardware penetrates the flooring to the holes under the front seat where cables come out. I think those cables go to the Airbags since that is the only thing in the seat that might seem to need a cable. Maybe sensors for the front airbags and seatbelt warnings....

Anyways, I want to keep my car looking and smelling new for as long as I can. Last thing I am going to do is spray water in there and chance that it will get under the floor. I have seen some mention before, on a Yahoo Group, about putting the front up on ramps and washing while the car is on an incline. That might help some but remember. With a spray of water, if you get some water in the wrong spots, the angle will actually help facilitate water running further UNDER the floor as well as over the floor. I suppose that with the knock out in the wheel well one could punch that out for a drain even if didn't have a wiring harness running through there. All I know is that I am only going to use a damp rag or mop if necessary. "No Hoses in My Element"

music&dogs
06-16-2004, 08:31 PM
It's the GMC Envoy's rear interior that can be hosed out, not the Honda Element. The Envoy has drain holes and advertises this feature of being able to hose it out. I think people must have confused the two vehicles, since these two vehicles have marketed an interior with no fabric or carpeting and are ideal "dog" hauling vehicles. My guess is that this is how the Element "hosing out" rumor began.

hownowcb
06-16-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm getting about a quart of water on the front floor of my E when there's a hard rainfall! And, like, I'd actually want to "hose it out" besides!??? Oh yeah! Sure thing! :shock: And those who've observed my general demeanor can just picture me taking this problem to some "friendly Honda dealer", right? :lol:

keoni
08-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey Ellie owners!!!! Has anyone actually tried to hose out the interior of the car? Besides the obvious dash and seats...is it safe to get that much water in the car?

MikeQBF
08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
:shock:

Hosing-out the interior to clean it is a myth propagated by car journalists trying to be overly-cute.

Damp - even borderline wet - rag or sponge is fine, but do not direct spray inside your E. Water will go places you don't want it, and risks both short- and long-term problems.

(BTW, welcome to EOC. Just don't make it a habit of scaring us like that. :wink:)

wmas1960
08-07-2004, 10:39 PM
This gets asked frequently and there are those on both sides who feel very strongly on their views. Those who insist upon doing this with their Elements because some salesman told them when they were buying that you could hose out the interior and pictures like the one that shows a guy at the self wash place washing his laundry or something along with his Element. Some think he is washing out the interior and that it is an indication of HONDAs saying that you can hose out your Element... They continue to believe in the hosability despite what others warn of.

Then there are those, like me, who mention the fact that there are a lot of points where moisture can get under the floor. The edges of the floor are NOT sealed. There are holes under the driver seat where water can get under the floor. Also, the area under the dashboard where the floor goes up about 6" but it is not sealed against the firewall. Then there are all the points where bolts go through the plastic to hold down seats and so forth. A couple people have suggested that you can put the car on ramps or park on an incline and water will run out the back and away from these points. Then, people like myself point out that there is not a drain in the floor and water may not drain properly. You might have to punch out the plug in the spare tire well to get it to drain. Also, even if you have the car on an incline, you could still, accidentally, spray a stream of water in one of the holes under the driver seat, into the subwoofer or other speakers, behind the pedals at the firewall..... If on an incline water will actually be facilitated into running UNDER the floor. Even if the floor IS powder coated, which some have defended, maybe it won't rust but the plastic seems to have some sort of foam padding underneath. I say this because my floor feels a little spoungy when I press on it. That padding(???) if it is there will hold water which can eventually begin to cause mold or mildew. That will cause potentially harmful conditions or at least bad smells in your car. My previous car had a leaky trunk and now smells really bad from all the mold and mildew that eventually grew in the padding under the carpeted mat in the trunk. Passengers that I have recently driven in that car complained of respiratory difficulties, allergies, sneezing, coughing...

All I know is that I wouldn't want my car to pick up a bad smell from water trapped under the floor. Even if there isn't padding under the flooring and you get water under there, there is no way for it to thouroughly drain and dry out. All I can say is, USE YOUR JUDGEMENT. Most people who have posed this question seemed to choose to ignore warnings and do it anyways. There will also be those who will respond that they have done it and have had no problems. Then, how many of them have had their cars more than several months to a year now. They may not have begun to experience the problems yet.

Why does anyone need to use a hose anyways. Get a damp mop and mop out the floor. Actually with the height of the vehicle, an old dampened towel would be sufficient. Wipe out the floor and then dry it. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes unless you have a real mess on your hands. Still though, hand wiping the floor, would seem to me to be the best solution. Worse case scenario, I can't see it taking more than 30 minutes to hand wipe out the interior.

Just my points of view....

bapuga
08-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I bought a 2004 Element LX 2 weeks ago and my salesman was ADAMENT that hosing the interior out was a big NO NO.

In the quick start manual that came with my Element, it specifically points out that getting the interior wet will cause damage, including electrical equipment.

I, too, have read many reports about how the Element can be hosed out, but most of these reports were in Car Mags dated from the 1st year the Element was out.

wmas1960
08-09-2004, 04:19 PM
It is true that most of the things that I have read encouraging being able to hose out the Element are from magazines, newspapers or uninformed car shoppers who, while discussing the Element, are talking about how they read somewhere or some salesman told them that you can hose it out. That was a major selling point for them or why they bought an Element. That though, leads to these topics where new buyers pose the questions because they have an interest in following the advice and are intent on trying it. It is good that they ask before they act.

I guess what has made me write my last post, that might have been a little harsh and frustrated in tone, is that I have read on these boards (Element Owners Club, HondaElement.org and Yahoo-Honda Element Various AOL Groups), far too many times people have been told about the risks but then go on to rationalize putting the front of the car on ramps or parking on an incline etc. Then they say Well what if I only spray the back part and don't spray the front. Water will just run out the back, Won't it?.... You try and try to tell them "DON'T DO IT" but then someone chimes in and tells them that they do it all the time and it is OK. You tell them that there isn't a drain hole in the car but some guy responds, I spilled a jug of water in my back and could see water pouring out the underside of the car. Ahhh, there must be a drain hole.... Then the original writer writes back the normal thank you notes and then expresses how he might try it next time he messes up the interior of his car while camping or with his dog....

I guess it just gives me a feeling that people will do what they want in the end and sometimes there is nothing one can say or do to stop them. It is there car. Their expense if something goes wrong. Grant it I don't have personal experience with the aftermath of it but while cleaning out my car, or installing the mats etc. I have noted no less than a dozen places where water could get into an air duct, under the floor, into a wiring harnass or into a speaker etc. I for one am NOT going to chance it. The least of your problems, as I have said before, might be mold or mildew.

All I can say is JUST SAY NO!!! DON't DO IT!!!

Have a nice afternoon. GO OUT AND ENJOY YOUR ELEMENTS... :)

rjm161
08-09-2004, 11:58 PM
While I agree that you shouldn't hose out your Element...I will confirm there ARE some kind of drain holes in the back. I spilled two vases of water in the back area and it all ran to the left side and then disappeared. Next thing I knew, there was a stream of water coming out the bottom behind the left rear wheel-well. wmas1960...I am not trying to piss you off...I am just stating what happened to me. :)

As for the hosing thing...one night after some muddy tailgating, I decided to clean my (all weather, rubber) floor mats. I put them back in the car and some water was trapped underneath them. I didn't know until a week later...the nasty pink mildew STUNK up the entire car! A good cleaning and all was well, but I can't imagine if that happened beneath the rubber floor. Nasty!

I totally agree with the wet towel method. I have been using Fantastik Orange quite a bit with a lot of success when trying to clean up moderate messes.

If you want a car you can hose out, go buy a Jeep. <american car pot shot>At least then when it isn't running, you can watch it rust </american car pot shot>

LEGO MY E
08-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks Everyone for the tips!

I bought into the urban legend myth about hosing out my "E". Actually, my dealer's exact words were Quote: "you can hose this thing out... of course, Honda won't endorse this FACT, because inevitably someone will try to hose down the dash or the electronic components" END Quote.

I'm very glad I didn't try doing this. My last vehicle (1996 Ford Escort) had a small water leak into the hatchback (which went undiscovered for some time) and it caused a SERIOUS mold problem. The entire spare compartment filled up with water, and one day when I hit the brakes the water went sloshing forward! My rear seats were almost ruined, and my car never did smell the same!

However, if draining is an issue on my "E", I'm also kind of worried about spills now. For instance, when my kids spilled their drinks (luckily just water) um... where did it all go? I was able to wipe up the water that remained on the floor, but most of it seemed to disappear so fast. Does anybody know exactly where the drains are located?

Thanks Again!!

LEGO

wmas1960
08-22-2004, 04:49 AM
I wouldn't worry so much about common spills. They, probably, wouldn't represent that much fluid to cause some problem. The floor is shaped such that, in most cases, these "SPILLS" wouldn't get under the floor, unless it is a huge amount of water like from a hose or one of those big water bottles.... Even if it does get to the edge of the flooring, say because the car is parked on a bank where one side is lower, the amount of water that would get under the floor or into the wiring would probably not be significant. Some of the locations of concern that I have noticed have been in high spots, about an inch or more above the area where your feet would be. Thus if you spilled most of the water, soda or whatever would be in the lower areas and would probably end up being minor. You would probably have sufficient opportunity to mop or towel up most of the spill and in time whatever gets under the floor will dry completely. You, probably, won't have to worry as much about mold and mildew with those situations. I think the problems especially with Mold and Mildew, would be the result of repeated or long term exposure or large amounts of water, like someone who hoses out their car or like the leaks that you and I have experienced that went on over time. Every time it rained some water got into my trunk. A few times the spare tire well filled up with about 3" of water. One time I had a bag of Bird Seed in the trunk that got wet. The smell from the rotting and fermenting seed baking in a hot steamy trunk was disgusting. That is when I first discovered the leak. I went in, cleaned the whole trunk out and found that the bag had rotted through and some seed got washed under the tire cover and under the spare tire. When I removed the cover and the tire to dry what I knew was the lowest point of the trunk and thus source for possible standing water, I found all kinds of smelly sprouts growing in the trunk. Again, like I said, with this problem it had been going on for some time. It was a long term and repeated source of moisture in a dark warm humid spot (started in the summer). The carpet got wet and the padding underneath was soaked. By the time I found out about the leak, it was too late, regarding the smell. Even though I removed the carpet, dried and washed out the whole trunk and left it open to dry, the smell had already permeated the fabric, carpet and other soft materials in the car. Unfortunately they were there to stay. Leaving the car windows open and allowing the car to air out helps. However, as soon as it gets hot out and the car has been sitting in the sun with the windows closed for a while, those smells come right back.

L-M-N-T
09-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Since having kids, I've also learned that no matter what kind of vehicle you drive, it's a good idea to keep a container of baby wipes in the car. I bought one of the small plastic travel containers and keep it in one of the door compartments. They're great for sticky hands and faces (plus all those sticky messes on the seats that came with it).

Dasbear
09-18-2004, 10:47 AM
:oops: I remember when I went to Beelevue Honda for a test drive, I opened the doors and spotted that small slot at the base of the door closure. I asked what it was. His answer was when you spray out the interior, its the drain and there is one on each side of the vehicle.
I held back the laughs, so after the test drive I explain to that Mental Midget that is where the small angle common to the back door goes into.
He looked at the bootom of the door tried it a few times to see and then went 'OH'. This another reason for not buying from them.

If you have to clean just a damp cloth will do! Not Wet!

8) DasBear

Scubasonic
09-18-2004, 04:47 PM
DON'T HOSE OUT YOUR ELEMENT

linger
03-31-2005, 09:39 AM
I stumbled accross this today ... looks like hosing is officially a no-no!

...Not only did the car get stinky because there are no drainage holes in the wheel wells like wed thought, but the water shorted the SRS (air-bag) computer, which is situated under the urethane floor. The repair cost $566, and Honda refuses to pay...

http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2005/15_13/click_clack.html

Yog-E
03-31-2005, 11:10 AM
:lol: Oh, I almost forgot... when I was looking at the E's (I went to the dealership many times before purchasing), one of the salesmen said, "Yes, you can hose it out. There are drains under the floor to allow the water to come out... but I probably wouldn't fill it any higher than this (pointing to the plastic door sill)."

That's about 4 inches deep at the driver's side foot area. :roll:

I wonder if the 2005's will offer a diving board for the driver's seat? :wink:
Jeez, I wonder if that guy would pay for the damages he could wreak.

bigred1
03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
like everyone else said......Don't do it!!!!!

lizzurd
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
A thread here led me to the Canadian Honda web site; just look what they say:

"Go on and get dirty. The waterproof and stain-resistant FXC (Fabric for Extreme Conditions) seating surfaces and the low, flat, wipe-down urethane-coated utility floor can take all the abuse you can dish out. Just hose it down. And with up to 2183 litres of cargo space, lots of tie-downs to secure cargo, driver's side seatback bungees* for odds and ends and a 12-volt power outlet in back,* you're ready for any adventure that comes along."

:shock: YIKES!!! :shock:

You better be "...ready for any adventure..." -I think you'll have an expensive one!

HMMMMM....someone was sleeping the day that was written.

Beaker
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I smell law suit, do you have screenshot?

lizzurd
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Why would they print that? It's the same vehicle in north america isn't it?

Two things......... Honda Canada and American Honda are seperate companies.SO not all advertising and printed materials are going to be the same.

After reading that text not everyone is going to read it as hosing down the interior.

I'm guessing it was meant to be the outside of the vehicle.

tango
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Two things......... Honda Canada and American Honda are seperate companies.SO not all advertising and printed materials are going to be the same.
After reading that text not everyone is going to read it as hosing down the interior.
I'm guessing it was meant to be the outside of the vehicle.
I am reading it as hosing down the interior...it is in context about the interior of the car - not a single word of that paragraph is about the exterior and the hose down statement follows a reference to the utility floor. What in that paragraph would lead a person to believe the hosing down referred to the exterior and not the interior? The exterior is never even mentioned.
Most readers are on a 2nd-5th grade level - I don't think they will stop and analyze or somehow infer that the statement refers to the exterior - not in it's present context.

" low, flat, wipe-down urethane-coated utility floor can take all the abuse you can dish out. Just hose it down. "

lizzurd
03-10-2006, 03:20 PM
If anyone is smart enough to take a hose to the interior of any car they deserve a bus pass...not car keys.

And i read on a much higher level than 5th grade....TYVM.

HONNDER
03-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Here's the screenshot:
"All information contained herein applies to Canadian vehicles only."
Nevermind.

LOL!!!:grin:

spdrcr5
03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Someone needs to point this major screw up to American Honda and Honda Canada. I'll see if we can get in touch with someone about this. These screwups happen all the time because copywriters are not engineers or techincally saavy enough to know anthing about what they are writing about.

Kayakin' Dan
03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Someone needs to point this major screw up to American Honda and Honda Canada. I'll see if we can get in touch with someone about this. These screwups happen all the time because copywriters are not engineers or techincally saavy enough to know anthing about what they are writing about.

Screw 'em. They'd screw you if they were given the chance. And any moron stupid enough to take a hose to the inside of their car, deserves to be screwed. Hard. With sand.

Besides, it's Canada. What's cooler than a skating rink on wheels?

PVR
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
In the recent ad campaign in Canadian magazines, Honda advertises the Element as having a wipe clean interior. Funny that the website got it wrong.

nonflaca
08-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Can any one tell me how to pull the drain plug in the spare tire area? Ive got water in there and I'm sure if i could figure out how to remove the pug that would be the easiert way to empty it.

Thanks

lizzurd
08-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Can any one tell me how to pull the drain plug in the spare tire area? Ive got water in there and I'm sure if i could figure out how to remove the pug that would be the easiert way to empty it.

Thanks

I'm afraid to ask you got all that water in there.

nonflaca
08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
trying to get compost debris out from the hinge area on the little flap that covers the space between the floor and the rear hatch.

ANy idea how to pull the plug?

bofus
08-20-2006, 04:12 PM
trying to get compost debris out from the hinge area on the little flap that covers the space between the floor and the rear hatch.

ANy idea how to pull the plug?

Depending on how much water you have in there, you could blot the water with old towels.

Regards,

nonflaca
08-20-2006, 04:18 PM
i just figured it would be quicker to pull the plug, but I couldnt figure it out.
I could have removed the water by other means by now instead of d*cking aroung on the computer looking for the easy way out.

bofus
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
i just figured it would be quicker to pull the plug, but I couldnt figure it out.
I could have removed the water by other means by now instead of d*cking aroung on the computer looking for the easy way out.

do you have a wet vac?

Regards,

lizzurd
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Its just a body plug ...not really meant as a regular drain plug.

As has been mentioned shop vac would be the way to go.

bofus
08-20-2006, 04:20 PM

do you have a wet vac? there's only the weekend crew here today!

Regards,

bofus
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
When I worked in construction on a job site we would have to occasionally relieve ourselves using the vehicle's door for privacy. We never did so into the vehicle!

Regards,

DrumminChick
09-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah. My dealer told me you could hose it out. :rolleyes: Good thing I became a member here. I do use a sponge mop, though. :D

MsMarvel
09-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Mine too. I can't get over this cuz I remember reading on here about a teenage girl who tried this and did $7K worth of damage! I wonder if this one has any electrical damage... :confused:

I wish someone still had the article about the girl and the electrical damage. People ask me about hosing ours out, and I always tell them that "someone" once damaged her E by hosing it out...but I wish I had the original article.

If you do a search on Google with "Honda Element Hose" you will still find articles that (egregiously) say something like this:
Honda's Element offers a truly unique and, in some ways, more practical alternative to conventional sport-utility vehicles. ...An ideal vehicle for parents with young children, its urethane-coated floor washes out with a garden hose....

or this:

When Honda launched the five-passenger Element for the 2003 model year, it pitched it as a sort of dorm room on wheels--a space in which young owners could both sleep and park a muddy mountain bike. Contrasting-color fenders and hose-out-ready rubber flooring were key features.

or this:

...With all the seats removed, there is a flat floor. The floor surface isn't fancy carpet, it's a rubber mat. If necessary, you can actually hose out the element if there's too much mud and gook there. One word of caution, though. When the rubber is wet, it's slippery. We never actually hosed out the Element, but we did drive it in heavy rain, and our shoes were wet when we entered the car. So we simulated hosing out the car.....

but, thankfully, astute readers/web searchers may find this (http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2005/April/04.html):

....We hosed out our Element after a bottle of bleach fell out of a shopping bag. Not only did the car get stinky because there are no drainage holes in the wheel wells like we'd thought, but the water shorted the SRS (air-bag) computer, which is situated under the urethane floor.

The repair cost $566...

calvin13
09-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Do you think that they (moronic/uninformed sales people) will use the "You can even hose it out." line for the SC?

DrumminChick
09-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah. I hear that. Good thing I don't listen to dealers. :) No one should. :rolleyes:

typer98
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I guess the E is one of the few vehicles out there that can have "flood damage" w/out ever being in a flood :P

tooljedi
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I still get the "hose out" question about once a week! I just tell people it depends on if you get the drain with stopper option. At that point the conversation gets pretty funny! :roll:

DrumminChick
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
I just tell people that I fill it up weekly, leave the tailgate up and take a swim. :rolleyes:

:-P

Rock E Top
09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I was asked about this at the Parker, CO emissions testing facility.....:rolleyes:

TheRealOne
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't allow any water to stand in the E. Let me tell you a story. A couple of years back, I visited my family at their lake cottage and my uncle, who lives nearby, gave me some frozen fish to take home from his freezer. Thanks Lee. Well, the next day, after I went out to the E after parking it on top of a parking garage on a hot summer day, I was nearly floored by the stench. That's right, I left the fish in a plastic bag on my passenger side floorboard. Needless to say, the fish melted and began to decompose. I swiftly removed the filets, but the rotten fish water was still standing on the passenger floorboard. I raced home, windows open, and sopped up the liquid immediately. Nevertheless, the liquid had penetrated below the plastic flooring and caused the flooring to bubble up. I took it to the dealership, as it was still under warranty, but they wouldn't fix it since no one had ever had that problem before and they didn't know how to fix it. My solution had been to install the floor mats, but that was well after I got rid of the stench. Of course, the floor is still bubbled up, but now it is hidden. Thus, based on this experience, I would not hose out my E. Use a wet rag or something, but don't let the water stand.

BTW, if anyone wants to get rid of that new car smell, I know a good way.

elementology
11-05-2006, 09:45 PM
anybody see this, this guy actually hosed out his Element http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1086358408

PVR
11-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Don't buy a used Element from this man.

fcz1
11-06-2006, 09:03 AM
he did a pretty good job in my opinion.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. NOBODY can do a good job hosing out the E. Water will go places water is not supposed to go. It is a horrible idea no matter how you do it. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth.

3_3rdHonda
11-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Maybe if u put the front end up on ramps, tail-gate open, and did a light, non-soaking hose & quick mop-up.

wet vac?

Depends on how dirty is it, i guess.

Did the Myspace guy say the Dealer ok'd the hose out?

I wouldnt do it: K.I.S.S.

fcz1
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Like most dealers, my salesman told me I could hose it out.

You could also clean your computer off by dunking it into a tub of water...

ann54
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
i have to give my salesman credit, when i ran that idea by him he stated adamantly that it was a really bad idea. he said that every surface was virtually wipeable, but hosing was definitely out.

ORANGEE
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
The closest I've come to hosing it out is a VERY wet towel - but most times I use my leaf blower and then "swifer wet" the thing.
Dog Hair is my friend

ORANGEE
:) :)

poetdante
11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Did you forget about water getting into the spare tire well?

Ah that I did! Ok, it's a silly idea. And the sponge is better. It allows you to get "up close and personal" with your E

DrumminChick
11-29-2006, 02:26 PM
The closest I've come to hosing it out is a VERY wet towel - but most times I use my leaf blower and then "swifer wet" the thing.
Dog Hair is my friend

ORANGEE
:) :)

Ooooo! A leaf blower!!! I never thought of that!!! I am SO going to do that this week. I gotta clean my E before my girlfriend gets here. :)

boxe1
12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
or even a vacum on blow, ive used a hair drier in a pinch while campin cause things got so dirty.

tooljedi
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
When I test drove the Elemenet in 04 I was told that was what really seperated the Element from all other cars! Bullsh_t! The first question i asked was wear does the water drain? He spent a little time looking for drain holes! He also couldn't find the oil filter!:rolleyes: He didn't get the sale! The other honest dealership did! Who also cut me a great price! :D

McNasty
10-03-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm pretty sure some hoser who owned my E before me hosed out the interior. There is liquid goo in places where goo shouldn't exist. Sad times. When I have a new E, she will be loved more that the hoser who hosed.

BLK BOX
11-03-2007, 09:20 AM
My salesman said the same thing.."Yeah you can just hose it out if it gets dirty, but hose it towards the back" Yeah right, I just said, oh really cool, just to humor him. I would never hose out my E...that is just asking for problems!

Imatek
03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Here is my angle. I bought my Element in 2004 and wanted to use and abuse it for my many activities. One of wich is hunting. I go to the Salton Sea for waterfowl hunting and other swamps. The Salt Sea is known for some nasty, smelly, glue like mud. I have used a garden hose in the REAR of my element tons of times. Just be smart and use it at 1/4 power or use a bucket of water poured slowly.

I "installed" my own drain by drilling a small hole in the plug under the spare tire. Remove the tire and its jack and drill from underneath. It took like 1.5 seconds to punch through.

Rocket Dog
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
OK THIS has got to be some kind of record for reviving an OLD thread.

I brought home my new (used) E today. As I poked around I find an inch or so of standing water in the spare tire well. After de-watering and drying it out I find myself wondering if the dealership's detail guy actually did hose out the interior, or parts of it?

The E had been used by a watersport company and the day I first looked it over it had loads of sand throughout the back compartment.

I want to remove the plastic flooring so I can get under there and clean out any sand or grit and ensure the area is dry. Anybody know where I can find instructions how to remove the flooring? (I'm still searching threads)

Thanks.

Margaret
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
A few years back someone did hose out there brand new Element and it ended up costing him a few thousand. I've seen a picture of the flooring pulled out -not sure where I saw that- and buried underneath are all sorts of wires. Perhaps a search would reveal more on what happened with this guy. If I could see my sign up date as I write this I would tell you it was a month or so after I signed up.

Rocket Dog
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Here's a pic I took yesterday evening when I drove it home. This is the view of the spare tire well. The day I saw this on the lot the dealer had just received it in trade. Lots of sand and light debris in the back end.

fly104857
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I found the best way to do a fast and easy clean up is w/ a sptaymister bottle w/ half windex and half water....spray down dirty areas and wipe clean w/ paper towles or clean rag.....easy, clean, and fast!!!

Hab Mobile
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
The water would also find a way under your floor and into your spare tire well, which would definitely rust.

Do not hose out an Element.

newms
05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
when i was looking at the E at the dealership, the salesman said that you can hose these out and that there is a drain plug in the wheel well. he said not to put more then an inch of standing water in there at a time but did say that i could hose out the E. i will not do this for i know that it takes a while to dry things and i don't like risking the electronics in the E either.

lwclancers
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
you do realize he was wrong on all accounts right?

when i was looking at the E at the dealership, the salesman said that you can hose these out and that there is a drain plug in the wheel well. he said not to put more then an inch of standing water in there at a time but did say that i could hose out the E. i will not do this for i know that it takes a while to dry things and i don't like risking the electronics in the E either.

newms
05-21-2008, 05:18 PM
it did sound obsurd that you would hose it out. i don't let things get that dirty anyway. i have a wet/dry vac that i use a lot.

eomaha.com
05-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one who hears from people all the time... "Oh, that's that Honda that you can clean the inside out with a garden hose, huh?"

Where did this come from?

hambone
05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
For me, it originally came from the sales people at the dealerships.

It was stated that because there were no electrics six inches above the floor and that it was all plastic you could hose it out.

As we all no know that was WRONG. I think the leaf blower/reverse vacuum was the best for a quick clean out...

As far as hosing the seats.... I wouldn't do it. A wet/damp cloth is about the extent of it. Even so I am a victim of 'seat crack'. The 'special' FX fabric is NOT/NOT what is was billed as....

TonyS
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I guess it's good to keep spreading the word - the young salesman told me also that I could hose out an E if it got real dirty...

You cannot hose out an E.
Do not hose out an E.
Tell everyone not to hose out their E.
You will damage your E if you hose it out.
Please do not hose out the E.
etc, etc, etc, :)

fly104857
05-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Spraymister bottle & paper towels or rags is fast, and does a great job on interior floor for mud, soda, etc... I think this is probably fastes and easiest way to clean floor and inside plastic trim near floor.

scanrps
05-26-2008, 01:18 AM

I will point out since I work around a lot of sales people, they only know
what they go out and learn. A good sales person would use all the resource
that is available to him from Honda (or whomever they work for) and if
that salesperson does this, they would not say its OK to hose out the
Element.

But even today, reading a trusted book like Consumers Digest new car guide,
they are still saying its OK to hose out the Element.
The myth lives on.:rolleyes:

Eyeslam
05-31-2008, 12:46 AM
My salesman also told me I could hose out the E. Was one of the more appealing factors. It wasn't until I joined EOC that I found it wasn't true.

But so many dealers spread this, I think they're just wrong, not lying.

bshannon
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
OK, so I bought a used 2003 six months ago. I love this car and I saw an ad that showed it being hosed out a few years ago so I assumed this was the way to go. I just got back from a 5 day camping trip and I hosed out everything behind the drivers/passenger seats. The back seats were up. I just hosed out the back floor and door wells. It was very fast. I parked the car facing uphill and left the doors and tailgate open. The whole thing was dry and clean of mud, dog hair and leaves and hour later. Please explain how this process is a bad idea. I've read all the posts but no-one says WHY using a hose is a bad idea.:confused: Not hosing the dash, seats and speakers is obvious but what is wrong with hosing out the back of the car with the seats up latched to the sides???

ORANGEE
08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
OK, so I bought a used 2003 six months ago. I love this car and I saw an ad that showed it being hosed out a few years ago so I assumed this was the way to go. I just got back from a 5 day camping trip and I hosed out everything behind the drivers/passenger seats. The back seats were up. I just hosed out the back floor and door wells. It was very fast. I parked the car facing uphill and left the doors and tailgate open. The whole thing was dry and clean of mud, dog hair and leaves and hour later. Please explain how this process is a bad idea. I've read all the posts but no-one says WHY using a hose is a bad idea.:confused: Not hosing the dash, seats and speakers is obvious but what is wrong with hosing out the back of the car with the seats up latched to the sides???

If water gets between the rubber material and the steel of the car..........I'm thinking rust, rust, rust - plus the fact there are electrical connections in the back of the vehicle......................

BUT - it is your car, do with it as you wish

Jojo
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Check your spare tire well also, I was loading up Sunny in a torrential downpour and checked the spare tire well the next day and it still had standing water in it.

ramblerdan
08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes, rust and corrosion of electrical contacts—the same reason you shouldn't hose out any other car. The damage might not reveal itself until years later.

Go back and look at Imatek's post (#90), extolling the virtues of hosing out the wheel well. What do you see in the second photo? A wheel well full of RUST. Furthermore, drilling a hole in the bottom of the car (let's guess if the edge of the hole itself was properly rustproofed) allows salt and spray to get in.

CTA
08-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi all. New here. I just bought a 2007 Element EX. I too had been told a few years ago that the element can be hosed out, by a honda dealer. It is NOT
true. When I got this element it had a slight bad odor. I figured it was something I could fix. It was a tipical dirty sock smell. The kind you get from clogged A/C drian lines.. So I got a chemical cleaner for the evap coil. It didnt work . So I tried pulling up some of the flooring. It was soaking wet underneath! So I pulled out all the seats, plastic trim,and finally the flooring.
There was an inch of water in the drivers and passengers footwells. There was evidence that the previous owner had tried to hose it out. On close inspection of the floor, there were NO DRAIN HOLES FOUND. The wires are all connected to the floor and are NOT waterproof. I ended up cleaning all the flooring with a bleach cleaner. One of the sources of my bad smell came from the sound deadening material hving soaked up water. I let the car sit with the interior gutted for a couple of days to dry out. There is still a slight smell
but it's not as bad as it was. I'm planning on getting the manual to learn how to get better access to the evap. coil. Hope this helps.
Christian

Margaret
08-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi all. New here. I just bought a 2007 Element EX. I too had been told a few years ago that the element can be hosed out, by a honda dealer. It is NOT
true. When I got this element it had a slight bad odor. I figured it was something I could fix. It was a tipical dirty sock smell. The kind you get from clogged A/C drian lines.. So I got a chemical cleaner for the evap coil. It didnt work . So I tried pulling up some of the flooring. It was soaking wet underneath! So I pulled out all the seats, plastic trim,and finally the flooring.
There was an inch of water in the drivers and passengers footwells. There was evidence that the previous owner had tried to hose it out. On close inspection of the floor, there were NO DRAIN HOLES FOUND. The wires are all connected to the floor and are NOT waterproof. I ended up cleaning all the flooring with a bleach cleaner. One of the sources of my bad smell came from the sound deadening material hving soaked up water. I let the car sit with the interior gutted for a couple of days to dry out. There is still a slight smell
but it's not as bad as it was. I'm planning on getting the manual to learn how to get better access to the evap. coil. Hope this helps.
Christian

Is there any chance we can see some pictures of the interior stripped out with all the venerable electrical and more exposed for us to see?

ramblerdan
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
It has reached the point that if a dealer says something is so, you can bet it isn't.

Jojo
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
It has reached the point that if a dealer says something is so, you can bet it isn't.

I guess most of us are lucky that we knew more about the Element than the dealer when we purchased ours:)

NismoGriff
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Don't be a Hoser!!!

hotrodder
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Absolutely, the first clue the hosing method is wrong is the fact there is a lip creating a well and the mat isn't tightly sealed around the seat mounts and console. Ya jus' gotta love salesman. :rolleyes:

dvdaughtry
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I frequently mop mine with pine sol and the hot tap water.

ElementFanatic
09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I went to Lowes and bought one of the 8 dollar garden mister things. You pump it up to add pressure then spray with the hose. I'll take that, a shop vac and a rag to the inside of my E. I'll start spraying water in with the mister and suck it up immediately with the shop vac, I normally set the shop vac head at the lowest points so it can't even pool. After that I'll wipe down with a cloth and get the last bit that did not spray out.

psschmied
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
We just bought our 2010 EX and the salesman did tell us you could hose out the pet hair, mud and other goodies tracked in by the exceedingly cool Element owners. I had my doubts, and I think I'll leave the hose in the garden.

A better application for a hose would be for hosing down (and/or beating) that salesman.

As you do, you can repeatedly ask him what water would do to the floor wiring harness and the warranty.

Type X
09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I watched an old youtube review online where there bonehead reviewer POURS A BUCKET into the car lol

I cringed when i watched it lol

They had to disable comments on the video because i think they got reamed :)

sloweddie
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
A better application for a hose would be for hosing down (and/or beating) that salesman.

As you do, you can repeatedly ask him what water would do to the floor wiring harness and the warranty.

Put B-Bs in the hose first. Makes a better impression.
se

Tortuga Rojo
09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Going on 10 years and yet this legend persists. Pretty cool.

Personally, it makes a far greater impact on the neighbors when I stride up to my E, fire up the leaf blower and let it rip. Works better, too, because there's no residual sloshing and the dirt, rocks, hair, cheese doodles and rodents are now across the street.

Boomerang
09-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I do the same thing with the leaf blower.

Wash outside of car. Dry with leaf blower and then turn the blower to the inside. Everything gone.

Type X
09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I do the same thing with the leaf blower.

Wash outside of car. Dry with leaf blower and then turn the blower to the inside. Everything gone.

I swiffer the inside of the E :)
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Others/cleaning-212.gif

fieldcat
04-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a 2003 Honda Element. When I bought it they told me I could use the garden hose to clean out the inside of the car. I never did, just vacuumed it, but now it's getting dirty and I would like wash it. But I've seen a few other Elements with lumpy floors and wonder if they tried it and the water got under the causing the lumps. Can you let me know if I can do this or not? Was I told the wrong info from the sales guy in 2003?'

thanks...CM

lizzurd
04-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Threads Merged.

As you will see by reading other posts here that hosing out the interior is a bad idea.

The myth that you could hose it out started back when the E first came out and won't go away.

I think it is time to call in these guys.

http://images.wikia.com/mythbusters/images/1/15/Mythbusters.jpg

AztecRol
04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
And here is your answer!!

http://aztecrol.smugmug.com/photos/1262726402_S6zFHcr-O.jpg

MNovack
05-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Been blowing it out after camping for six years. Open up all the doors and work in a logical progression from the middle outward, specifically getting under the front seats and all the nooks and crannies. Works great, but the neighbors must think it's pretty odd. I have so wished I could really hose it out at times, but this does very well. Really, try it sometime.

ramblerdan
05-17-2011, 09:36 AM
See this thread: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69180

ToyBox2011
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
DO NOT HOSE out the inside of a Honda Element. It does NOT have drain holes AND is packed with electrical wiring!
The real question is what are people doing to their E's requiring them to be hosed out? And why is this an argument?

MNovack
05-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Well, well, well, perhaps not such a great idea with the blower. Thank you for the info, Ramblerdan! That's not an issue I would have thought of and it certainly isn't something any of us would want to have happen. It will be sad to lose the convenience because it turns a long job into a two minute job and gets stuff out of places very hard to reach, but it appears to also put stuff into very hard-to-reach, sensitive places. My leaf blower does have a reverse to become a leaf sucker with a catch bag. I may try that when I get a lot of grit and debris, but I suspect a shop vac is also in my future.

Thankfully I found out before buying my E that the hosing thing was urban legend, but it was one of the strongest appeals when I first heard about the Element a couple years earlier. I know the notion of hosing or blowing out a vehicle seems ridiculous to some folks here, but I suspect they (like most people) never get the inside dirty enough in the outdoors to understand the level of the problem others face or they just enjoy the laborious and time consuming process of detail cleaning their beloved E, which is fine. : ) This hosing mythology wouldn't still be alive if it didn't have appeal for many. As much as I love my Element, I think Honda missed a golden opportunity that would have been very utilitarian for outdoor enthusiasts, albeit more expensive probably.

BTW, huge fan of the Swiffers, too. They are great on the gauges and dash.

_jea_
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
It's incredible how I heard it again... yes, the E is great since you can hose it out. I heard this from a Honda employee (he is quite up there but not at R&D). When I said this is wrong, and in 2008 during the tour we were told by R&D it can not be done, he looked at me as if I WAS CRAZY. Oh well, I guess I am a bit, to hang out at the EOC ;) Still, DON'T hose out your belowed Es.

buttermilk
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
The salesman told me I could hose it out. They had two of them on the lot. I should have told him if he would demonstrate hosing out an E on the other one, then I would buy the dry one. I bet he would have pulled it around back and put the water to it. HAhahahah!

Nao2.0
05-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Leaf blower? Seriously? Don't people know about Shop Vacs?
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69180

Amen.

I recommend Micro Kit from Shop-Vac for those hard to reach places and tiny nooks and crannies (also good for keyboards and electronics - though watch out for the static electricity buildup in dry climates).