Side Air Bags and Dogs [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Side Air Bags and Dogs

LittleDogBox
04-07-2003, 05:00 PM
I hear side air bags are going to be available on the EX AWD 5 speed in June. Will this affect pets sitting in the back seats ? I am not sure where the side are bags are to be situated. I certainly wouldn't want my pets any where near them should they go off.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

GYPSYTDA
06-07-2003, 08:49 PM
as far as what i have heard and seen they will be the front only, and they are not window curtain just side airbags they will be located in the door side of both the front seats mounted in the side of both front seats.. not in the back. so your pup willbe safe in the back!

LittleDogBox
06-08-2003, 07:18 AM
[quote:07695feeed="GYPSYTDA"]as far as what i have heard and seen they will be the front only, and they are not window curtain just side airbags they will be located in the door side of both the front seats mounted in the side of both front seats.. not in the back. so your pup willbe safe in the back![/quote:07695feeed]

I finally got my SOP EX AWD 5 speed on May 25th but it did not come with the side air bags. I guess they would have been nice to have but I am not overly disappointed. I believe they can be turned off however if the driver wishes.
My doggies ride in the back so I don't worry about the front airbags hurting them.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Virginia

GYPSYTDA
06-08-2003, 09:45 AM
I know the front passenger air bag and be turned off, i don't know about the side air bags having an on off option.

Yeah the lack of the side air bags is no big loss.. the ones that are worth while are the side curtain airbags, since they cover the window, which helps from the side window glass breaking into the car, and harming (or worse) the occupants. Also helps from the head slam against the side etc.. so that is a bonus.. but the E does not have this up and coming anytime soon.. just that lower side bag.

More on the curtain style, an added reason why i do praise this concept.. i have seen the damage from the side window glass. in the 1970's my cousin was decapitated by the side window.. my brother in the 1990's had his flesh sheered to the bone from a side impact where the window shards went into his face. (shock trauma and plastic surgery his appearance is normal.. of course he is the same ole annoying person he always was, phooey)... anyhow that gives you and idea of the difference the curtain can make.. it would have saved my cousin and it would have spared my brother.. those are just two personal examples there are tons more.

I am glad you keep you pup in the back, it is hard i know, they are so precious and i know mine always wants to sit in the front, he sits so still and so sweet.. it kills ya.. but for his sake i ask him to please take the back.. he gives me such a look.. sheesh! well anyhow thank you, take care!