18" rims - what are the guidelines [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 18" rims - what are the guidelines

bv_23
12-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I have an 03 E with 30K on it and the need to buy tires is rapidly approaching. Wow there is so much info out there on these boards and I think I got all the 16" tire info I need.

However, I'm thinking about 18" rims. What are the key specs I need to know to start narrowing down what rims to purchase?

- 18 x 7.5 or 18 x 8
- what offset
- tire size I've seen 245/45 and 255/55

My objective here is a better ride, wider or meater looking stance(stock tires look so whimpy and drive that way too) without trying to lower it, if it lowers a bit no sweat. I do go to the snow in the winter time a little bit but almost all my driving in Bay Area highways.

Any help or knowledge shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to participating here more.

hardguy
12-30-2004, 01:33 AM
You should check tirerack.com. They have an interactive link that you can pick your wheels for the Element. After you find one you like, click on the wheel itself and get more details like offset and recommended tire size. I have seen offsets from +37mm to +45mm for the sizes you mentioned. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/wtpack.jsp

bv_23
12-30-2004, 11:39 AM
i've been to tire rack and i was uncertain if that was how it is. great website for sure. when you're spending that kind of money and don't know much about offsets it can be nerve wracking. this is the first time i've considered putting non-stock rims on any of my cars, but my E is worthy of the special treatment.

i'll continue to look there, but any additional info appreciated.

so do most people do 18x8s or 18x7.5s?

Elemen-O-P
12-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Also check out Discount tire, aka. America's Tire co. www.discounttire.com they have an interactive fit guide for the E too, that I prefer over tirerack.com. Plus, if needs be, you can run down to the nearest shop, which seem to be everywhere in the Central Valley and Bay area. I've purchased all my aftermarket wheels and tires from them for my past vehicles. Added bonus, they're up for haggling if you're good at it. :)

SRLNCLT
12-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Definatley go to discounttire.com. I just picked up a set of TSW Reflex 18x7.5 for $142 each. They have some nice sets on sale right now. I'm going with 255/55/18 Toyo Proxes S/T. They are a little bigger in diameter but Honda said that bigger difference won't void the warranty. I have looked and looked at tire rack and their prices seem to be really high, especially on rims. It's hard to get 18's for under $200. discounttire.com has a ton under $200.
L.

Type X
12-30-2004, 12:45 PM
However, I'm thinking about 18" rims.
those 2 comments void each other out :)

you can get a nice 17" wheel with some "60" profile tires on there and that would be the biggest i'd go

off the top of my head
a 17X8 wheel with 235 /60/17 would produce NO rubbing & only throw off your speedo by 1% from stock

Good luck

bv_23
12-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Nice Type X! you got me.

From the boards i was able to get all the 16" tire specs I needed, 'however' I am trying to get myself to pony up for 18s. That said, I wasn't tracking down the clear cut answer on 18 specs on this board. I'm new to upgrading rides, I usually just stay with stock.

But I fall under popular opinion here, the stock tires just don't perform or look good.

you think 17s? i haven't seen much talk of 17s....hmmm more choices.

Type X
12-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Nice Type X! you got me.

From the boards i was able to get all the 16" tire specs I needed, 'however' I am trying to get myself to pony up for 18s. That said, I wasn't tracking down the clear cut answer on 18 specs on this board. I'm new to upgrading rides, I usually just stay with stock.

But I fall under popular opinion here, the stock tires just don't perform or look good.

you think 17s? i haven't seen much talk of 17s....hmmm more choices.
Well i plan on going with
OEM 2004 acura tl wheels
17 X 8
cheap and "look sharp" on the E:grin:

mix300
12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
After searching till hurt I went with 18X8 and BF G-Force 245/55/18. The E looks sweet. I was thinking of going with 19 or even 20's but the idea of putting rubber bands on my E just didn't sit right. In my line of work I see lots of people stranded with blow outs because they were not adequate "POT-HOLE-COMANDOS".

I don't have time to do the zig zag all day. I find the BFs have a nice lip on the tire to protect the rim and did I mention they look sweet. I then found wheel center decals on ebay with the HONDA emblem and I finished the look.
http://www.hondasuv.com/stg/viewtopic.php?t=4847&highlight=
You may have to register to see pics sorry.

bv_23
01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Nice Mix! That is the look I'm looking for. Of all the 18s I've looked at on the web those are in my top 3. I really like they way those look. thanks again for fwding on....

If I were to copy your look(out of respect of course) should I be concerned with offset? What offset did you purchase?

Element Art
01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Say Mix,
In your research did you look at the possibilities with 17" rims? I know those MBs come in 17s but not 16s. I am want to keep as close to the original diameter as possible so thought the 17s with some size tire might be close.
Great job btw!
Steve

bv_23
01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
hey Mix,

also what affect did this change have on your speedo? still loving the look of your E. positioning the funds now....

nippoelement2
01-03-2005, 07:33 PM
how about 18 with diamond lugs....i saw people selling those at sema and you can add instant bling to your wheels.

Element Art
01-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Mix and all,
What about Mix's MB wheels in 17" with Goodyear Fortera HL's in P225/60/17s? This tire is about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than stock and about less than 1/2 inch wider than stock. Any problems at all with this set up? This tire was ranked number 1 in Consumer Reports. It is a little pricy but average it over the life of the tire it isn't too big a deal.

mix300
01-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I recommend the MB and BF combo to all. It's an E thing you know. The offset is 40 and the wheel is 18x8. You can go with the 7.5 but the tire will sit flatter if you go with the 18.8. It's all about foot print. The difference in height is under 3/4 of an inch but the look is intense. I would stay away from chrome because of the weight it adds to the wheel. The change on the speedo was very minimal and my mechanic told to not worry about it. You can have it calibrated if you want.

As for the 17 inch wheels I found that the 215/65/17 would be close to stock size and height and still give you a beefy look.

The 18s are the way to go. anything bigger forces the rubber band tire on you and I can do without. You pot hole commando is not my cup of tea. Plus take a look at anyone who has wheels that are 19-20- or larger and you will see all the scuffs and nicks on the wheels. I didn't spend all this money to have to do it again because I missed a pot-hole.

Nippo is there a site for these diamond lugs?

nippoelement2
01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
i think there is company here...i think the compoany is called lugz. let me ask my suppliers.

bv_23
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Mix, nice meeting you on this board! The information you've supplied me is exactly what I wanted to read. You said it, I want a better and beefier footprint to my E.

One last thing, are you currently using your stock lugs or did you buy sets with the MBs? finally, it's probably in the history here but where did you make your purchase? tirerack.com?

i'm looking forward to the changes ahead.

mix300
01-08-2005, 09:05 PM
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

I paid like 1300.00 for five wheels and tires, ( gotta have the spare) lugs, hub centric rings and got free shipping. I will recommend you have them balanced again. I went to sears and the are fine now.

SRLNCLT
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey mix300, will 18x7.5 with an offset of 42 and 255/5518 work? Also, can someone explain the offset thing again. Like, which would stick out further, an offset of 38 or an offset of 42.
Thanks
L.

hardguy
01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey mix300, will 18x7.5 with an offset of 42 and 255/5518 work? Also, can someone explain the offset thing again. Like, which would stick out further, an offset of 38 or an offset of 42.
Thanks
L.

Hey L, I don't know if you are aware but 255/55/18 has a bigger diameter that the stock wheel and tire size and will throw off your speedometer. 38mm offset will push the wheel 4mm further outward toward the fender than the 42mm offset. Here's a few links to help you out:

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.jsp

paulj
01-11-2005, 08:25 PM
If the overall tire diameter is similar to stock (or less), the only clearance issue will be the distance between the widest part of the tire and the strut tower behind. With the stock wheels, 235 is about the widest tire you can put on without rubbing here.

If your tires have a larger diameter than stock, you have to also check on how they fit relative to the flared top of the strut towers. A rounded shoulder tire may fit where a square shoulder one rubs.

255/50/18 and 255/55/18 tires will have the same width. However the 55's are taller than stock, and may need a different wheel offset to clear flare.

SRLNCLT
01-12-2005, 12:36 PM
So, would 18x8 35 offset 255/55/18 work?
L.

bv_23
01-12-2005, 02:31 PM
have you asked tirerack or discounttire? everywhere i've read people seem to agreed these sites know their stuff.

just saw a parked E with 235/15/18s, no owner in sight to ask questions. looked sweet. i'm likin the graphite rims that kinda match the E's outside wheel wells.

hardguy
01-12-2005, 08:04 PM
have you asked tirerack or discounttire? everywhere i've read people seem to agreed these sites know their stuff.

just saw a parked E with 235/15/18s, no owner in sight to ask questions. looked sweet. i'm likin the graphite rims that kinda match the E's outside wheel wells.

No experience with discount tire but I know that tirerack usually is pretty conservative when it comes to plus sizes on wheels and tires especially offset wise. They usually go with a "safe" setup which is sometimes good but not always the best looking. My friend bought some OZ wheels from them and they recommended the offset but when the wheels and tires came mounted and balanced from them, he mounted them on his car and noticed they had that tucked in look as oppose to the more aggressive almost-flushed-to-the-fender look. He was able to fix that with some wheel spacers but tirerack could have gone with at least 5 to 10mm lower on the offset of those wheels for sure. I guess it doesn't hurt to call them and see what they have to say though.

bv_23
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey Mix,

with your set-up on the MBs, do you ever have a need for chains/cables? i notice your back east, so i'm thinking you experience some diverse weather.

let me know, i make some treks to the Sierras throughout the year and if you've read about conditions this year, there is a ton of snow. have you tried cables on your new setup?