20's or 19's [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 20's or 19's

mr.Matthew
12-30-2004, 03:54 AM
don't know which way to go...i read 19 is better with a larger tire to fill the gap...but would 20's work ok on regular size or low-profile tires? is there rubbing....i used to drive a civic and i don't want any of those problems anymore....

DanzE
12-30-2004, 11:53 AM
I have Toyo low profile 40's on my 20" chrome rims and there is still a slight gap, even after it was dropped using Eibacs. Am waiting for Tien to come up with coil overs to drop it further if possible. Still looks good w/small 1.5" gap however I hit the occasional curve, which gets expensive and is irritating! Aloha.

nippoelement2
12-30-2004, 12:59 PM
i have 19 on and i have lower 2 inches and will rub some on bumps if you lower it. if you dont lwer it then it is fine. 20 is good too on low profile tire but your ride will be bumpy.
if you lower please be noted that your rear chamber will be effected.

paulj
12-30-2004, 01:35 PM
When you ask whether a 19 or 20" rim is 'better', what is your definition of 'better'? What are you seeking - a particular look, particular handling?

Assuming that 'filling the gap' is your primary goal, aren't there just two ways of doing that: installing some lowering kit, and installing a larger diameter tire?

The shape of the strut tower limits how large you can go on the tire to about 4-5% larger - unless you use an wheel offset that moves the tire outboard far enough to clear the flare in the tower. The next place you start hitting is the back inside edge of the wheel well.

The largest diameter tires that I've read about with the stock wheels is 225/75/16. Has anyone put a larger diameter tire on a different size wheel? You should be able to fill the gap equally well with 15" wheel as with a 20".

What the 19 and 20" wheels give you (besides flash) is the use of a low profile tire. It seem then that real question is - given your driving, what is the best tire profile? Once tire diameter and profile are chosen, wheel diameter is almost a given (except for some tweeks in tire width and wheel offset).

paulj

NOSkweezePSI
12-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Personally, I would prefer 20's. I have 35 series Toyo T1S on my 20 X 9.5 DPE wheels and I have never rubbed while my E squats on some Eibach Sportlines. Rubbing is definately a factor of ride height and incorrect wheel offset. I don't anticipate rubbing with my wheel combo until my Teins show up. In regards to Paulj's comment of filling the gap, my 20s are just a hair smaller in overall diameter than my stock set of wheels. Listen to him, he got all the right points and questions for you.

nippoelement2
12-30-2004, 06:35 PM
here is my element for your refernce. if you want i can get you a deal on 19 or 20 axis rims and hancook or bridgestone low profile tires.
http://www.serenitysoundusa.com/pictures_view.php?id=177&sub=main&name=Daves%20Element

or you can check out this one

http://www.geocities.com/nippoinc/NIPPOELEMENT.html

you can see the 19 fill up reall good.

NOSkweezePSI
12-30-2004, 10:58 PM
What it really comes down to is its purpose, looks, ride, price, etc. Just make sure you make the right decision the first time, wheels are too expensive. I'd say go big or go home, but thats just me.

paulj
12-30-2004, 11:34 PM
These pictures of larger wheels made me realize that if you want to fill the gap uniformly, you have to lower the Element. With the stock height, there is always a larger gap at the top than at the sides - regardless of tire diameter.

paulj

nippoelement2
12-30-2004, 11:48 PM
of corse you have to lower it...unles you want to go 22 or larger....then that's like major bling...and also you need to have larger break system too..

mr.Matthew
12-31-2004, 01:39 AM
rain in LA....say it ain't so.....how are people's opinions on low profile proformance vs. reg. tires in the rain...i think i would like to go 20, cause it is hard to find a nice 19 rim that i like...so 20's nothing less....bling bling

mr.Matthew
12-31-2004, 01:45 AM
nippo how much would the axis neo rims be?? SO CAL hook-ups we should talk man!!!

paulj
12-31-2004, 02:39 AM
of corse you have to lower it...unles you want to go 22 or larger....then that's like major bling...and also you need to have larger break system too..

The other day I saw some 22s that actually looked nice - on a raised Navigator with 37" tires! I'll admit I'm not much of a fan of the wagon wheel look of large wheels and low profile tires, especially on SUVs.

nippoelement2
12-31-2004, 08:20 AM
i have no problem with low profile tires in the rain. it works good in southern cali...i know many here is not comfertable driveing in the rain anyway even if they have low or high profile tires. most of the time they have the same style for both 19 or 20....

NOSkweezePSI
01-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I haven't had any issues in the rain either. I'm using 20 inch, 35 series Toyo T1-S. So far my only issue is my tires collecting nails and screws. Luckily (knock on wood) nothing has actually resulted in a leak.

nippoelement2
01-01-2005, 07:19 PM
i had a big nail in it once. quick 10 dollar repair....raining like cats and dogs here the past week but no problem.