OEM Tires [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: OEM Tires

powerj
01-23-2005, 09:50 AM
My 04 E came with Goodyear Wrangler HP's. They were crap!!
Check out their consumer reviews on the tire rack. Average rating of 4 out ot 10.
Why does Honda does this?? Must be some deal from Goodyear, but at the great risk of dissuading buyers and owners. How many test drivers walked away because of these tires?

Type X
01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
My 04 E came with Goodyear Wrangler HP's. They were crap!!
Check out their consumer reviews on the tire rack. Average rating of 4 out ot 10.
Why does Honda does this?? Must be some deal from Goodyear, but at the great risk of dissuading buyers and owners. How many test drivers walked away because of these tires?

keep in mind
not everyone buys an element and goes flying thru the snow and that EVERYONES area is different
was is "suitable" for me is not suitable for you......

people need to remember when dealing with "trucks" majority of the tire options are louder if they are more "heavy duty"
the element wheels tires are pretty much a car option type

thin rim... "street looking tread" nothing u'd wanna take up a mountain IMO

thats why most people end up upgrading :)
thats my .02

paulj
01-23-2005, 01:38 PM
So which tire should Honda put on the Element? Keep in mind that some people change to larger, more aggressive tread tires, other change to lower profile performance tires. So somehow Honda has to choose a compromise tire that gives a good first impression to most buyers.

Are the HPs bad tires, or have they become dated? Note the number of miles listed in the tirerack reviews. GY has produced a lot of HPs over the years.

paulj

napoleon_E
01-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Yokohama Geolander HT/S G051

I'm getting mine from my local Mr Tire store for $110 each installed including road hazard

paulj
01-24-2005, 12:26 PM
An idea if owners of OEM G051 tires are as happy with them as aftermarket buyers? For example, do Subaru Forester owner carp about their stock tires, or praise them?

paulj

drphun
01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
The way OEM's select tires is pretty simple: they put them out to bid and whoever comes in cheapest. The tire makers bid very low, sometimes below cost as a marketing, because many peope just go and replace the stock tires with the same thing when they wear out. It is my suspicion that the manufactureres even have crappier versions that they sell the OEM's.

Despite all the criticism on this list, I don't think the OEM tires perform too badly, (although they do seem to wear fast, helped by a shoulder that looks worn out when new.) They worked very well in the snow and ice last winter. This winter I have year I am using Blizzak snow tires, and while they are better than the stock tires, they are not enormously better.

Best wishes,

SHAWNP582
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Got rid of my crappy OEM tires GY Wranglers after 600 miles i aired them up down and in between they still sucked. I now have some Toyo M410 235/70R 16.Man it like i have a new newer vehicle! perform well in the dry and wet and are much smoother and quieter than the OE crap Honda puts on the Element.When people ask me how I like my car I say I love it after i changed the tires.

paulj
01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
This Toyo testimonial really should be in the tires sticky thread under the performance forum. It will get lost in this feedback forum.

paulj

SHAWNP582
01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
This Toyo testimonial really should be in the tires sticky thread under the performance forum. It will get lost in this feedback forum.

paulj

Wasnt a testimonial for Toyo

hownowcb
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
How many test drivers walked away because of these tires?
I'd guess that number is roughly 0.

Are the tire supply contracts bid out? Of course. Does this typically result in the optimum tire application on most new vehicles? No. It's almost always a compromise among a number of factors, especially in the "affordable" class of cars, such as the Element falls into.

Tires are an easily replaced, consumable part, not quite like an engine, or four doors instead of two. Of course, the nice thing about opinions is, they don't have to make any sense, including my own. I don't know why I bother anymore. :confused: