E on 20's plus ??? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: E on 20's plus ???

Dirty SOP
01-27-2005, 08:54 PM
I just picked up my E last Weekend and man I'm loving it. The OEM wheels and tires are cool and when the E is shined up they make a good show. But now I think I won't to take my E to the next level, so I went and saw a man about some wheels. Of course he recommended 20's and state that was as big as I could go. So my question to the E nation is, if there is anything larger where can my E get on them :lol: .

paulj
01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
If you don't care how much rubber you put on the ground, 28" should be the limit :)

Do you have some sort of cost in mind? $500 $2000?

What kind of driving? off road, SEMA showroom floor, Houston streets?

Do you have any experience with low profile tires?

Have you looked up tires in various sizes on tire site like tirerack.com?

Can you calculate the nominal diameter of a tire from its specs? What profile would give you a 28" diameter on a 22" wheel with a 245 section width?

what is the nominal diameter of your current tires?

what is the size of your current wheels? offset?

NOSkweezePSI
01-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I've heard of people putting 22's on their E but they rubbed. 20's fit just fine as long as you have the right offset. Just keep in mind the greater the diameter, the greater the cost as well as the rotating weight. Try to go for something light weight or even forged to minimize rotational mass.

paulj
01-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't the choice of a correct offset solve any rubbing problems with a 22" wheel? It may be that the larger the diameter, the larger the available rim widths, requiring less offset. The available tire widths may also tend to the larger sizes. Load capacity of a tire varies roughly with the cross section of the tire. When you drop the thickness of the tire from 6" (stock) to 3" you are going to need a wider tire to have a comparable load rating.

For example a 265/30/22 (Pirelli PZero Nero) has a load rating a bit less than the stock tires, with a diameter slightly more, and quite a bit wider. It is going to stickout from the wheel wells quite a ways. It only costs 4 x a decent tire in the stock size.

paulj

Type X
01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I just picked up my E last Weekend and man I'm loving it. The OEM wheels and tires are cool and when the E is shined up they make a good show. But now I think I won't to take my E to the next level, so I went and saw a man about some wheels. Of course he recommended 20's and state that was as big as I could go. So my question to the E nation is, if there is anything larger where can my E get on them :lol: .
There is a guy on
Cardomain.com with 22's on his element

sier
01-28-2005, 04:34 PM
There is a guy on Cardomain.com with 22's on his element.
Christ, those are huge.

Dirty SOP
01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
If you don't care how much rubber you put on the ground, 28" should be the limit :)

Do you have some sort of cost in mind? $500 $2000?

What kind of driving? off road, SEMA showroom floor, Houston streets?

Do you have any experience with low profile tires?

Have you looked up tires in various sizes on tire site like tirerack.com?

Can you calculate the nominal diameter of a tire from its specs? What profile would give you a 28" diameter on a 22" wheel with a 245 section width?

what is the nominal diameter of your current tires?

what is the size of your current wheels? offset?

Actually I'm just looking to drive here in Houston nothing like off roading are car shows. I really like the full tire and wheel look, but I'm trying to avoid lowering my E. As for offset what ever Honda's stock wheel has I know they are 16"s

DanzE
01-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Tried 21's but they rubbed so stuck w/20's w/Toyo 35's.

nippoelement2
01-28-2005, 07:47 PM
are you looking for the blling dub 20's or more of the speed freak import style 20's??

paulj
01-28-2005, 07:58 PM
If you are trying to fill the wheel well as much as possible, larger wheels won't help. The bell at the top of the strut tower pretty well limits your tire diameter to 29" unless you use a very small offset. If I'm not mistaken 225/75/16 are the largest diameter tires anyone has put on an Element.

Often people who go with larger wheels actually use tires with a diameter smaller than stock. They then fill the wheel well more evenly by lowering the car. Note that the tires are not centered in the circular wheel well.

paulj

nippoelement2
01-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Actually I'm just looking to drive here in Houston nothing like off roading are car shows. I really like the full tire and wheel look, but I'm trying to avoid lowering my E. As for offset what ever Honda's stock wheel has I know they are 16"s
here is a set for you that will work great on the element. i have it in my shop.
http://nippoinc.blogspot.com/

Dirty SOP
01-29-2005, 07:15 PM
here is a set for you that will work great on the element. i have it in my shop.
http://nippoinc.blogspot.com/

Wow nice recommendation! I went to cardomain and saw the 22's Type X mentioned. The guy had Kaotik "finesse" wheels in 22x8.5 with Pirelli 265/30ZR22 tires. I really like that look as well. Decisions Decisions? :-D

Oh yea I need that shirt to.

nippoelement2
01-29-2005, 07:20 PM
right now i have the axis 19'. mine is lowerred. i can put 20's on but will rub like crazy. you should also check out axis rims too. they got some cool rims in 20's. 22's is a bit much for the element i think...it will make it look like a hot wheel toy car.

hondaone
02-02-2005, 10:16 PM
hey nippo,
i think i saw your e at sema last year in 04" were you there? If it wasn't you I was following an "e" with a similar setup back from sema to l.a., man, i like that rim tire combo.

nippoelement2
02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
thank you very much.
that was me...you can not miss me...i have a racing strips running acroos my element and with all the sponser stickers on it.
yea i was going like 110 mph on the high way back that night......took forever to get out of sema.

hondaone
02-06-2005, 01:52 AM
man that's cool,
i knew that was you, and you're right everyone was haul'n ass on the way home
that night it was like one of those gumball races! I was suprised at what the new chrysler 300's top out at! lol!

LEGO MY E
02-06-2005, 03:38 AM

Well, if you're driving in Houston, you probably want the MINIMUM rubber to contact the road. Anything in excess will likely stick to the asphalt in the summer! :)

nippoelement2
02-06-2005, 08:33 PM
man that's cool,
i knew that was you, and you're right everyone was haul'n ass on the way home
that night it was like one of those gumball races! I was suprised at what the new chrysler 300's top out at! lol!
yea that was preety fast.....i had a hard time keeping up with the evos and sti in my show team but once i get up to speed it was all good...i wish i can get up faster.

TyJ
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Im looking into some Enkei LM1 20" wheels. The offest of these is 38, would that be a problem?

nippoelement2
02-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Im looking into some Enkei LM1 20" wheels. The offest of these is 38, would that be a problem?
should not be a problem just have to find the right lug pattern to fit.
that would be preety cool.

TyJ
02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
5x14.3 correct?

TyJ
02-11-2005, 12:05 PM
and can anybody suggest a affordable tire for a 20x9.5? maybe some links or price ideas for all four. im on a budget.

Damien8086
02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I just bought these 20" Axis Seven Mod wheels:

2 X 20X9 with 3" LIP, PCD 114.3, offset et37
2 X 20X10 with 4" LIP, PCD 114.3, offset et38

I also have the Eibach Spring Set which lowers the front and rear by 1.7".

I want to get Hanhook tires for them. What size should I get so that the wheel well is filled as much as possible without any rubbing?

Thanks for any help

bguild
02-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Wow you are fitting some wide wheels on there. Let me know if they fit I would like to see some pics. I just got some Adr Magnus 20x 8.5 and my bf goodrich 245/40/20 tires will be showing up next week.. They are exactly the diameter as stick tires well atlest as close as I could get.. Check this tire calculator
http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Also I think they are 35 offset which I bolted them up without the tire (front only) and I think they will work. I cant wait to get the tires and see for sure. Then its on to getting some springs to make the box sit a little closer to the ground. I also just ordered some Blue LED's and i am going to try to convert all my greenish dash lights to LED blue. I have seen it done and it looks great more like the Jetta or something. Anyway I will try to post some pics of everything. Later and post some pics of the mod 7's those should look sweet although I have heard 9.5 is the widest you can go. I hope they work for you...

elementz
02-27-2005, 12:49 PM
You can clear 22's with a 255/30-22 tire all day long.

heishin2
04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
As stated there is an E ridin on 22's @ cardomain.com. Here it is.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/529000-529999/529212_6_full.jpg

paulj
04-02-2005, 12:51 PM
and can anybody suggest a affordable tire for a 20x9.5? maybe some links or price ideas for all four. im on a budget.

So what are you spending on the wheels? $200 each?

What is your idea of affordable? The $100 per tire that is typical of 16" wheels, or $200+ that is typical of 20"? In general the lower the profile of the tire the more expensive. Also most tires in the category are 'performance' ones with a low tread wear rating.

Unless you can find some bargins on ebay, switching to 20" wheels is not something you do on a $500 budget.

paulj