255/55/18 Proxes S/T don't fit [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 255/55/18 Proxes S/T don't fit

SRLNCLT
01-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey all. Today was the day. I finally mounted up my rims. First I tried the 255/55/18 Proxes S/T. They didn't fit. The rims, as most of you may know, are TSW Reflex 18x8 +35 offset. They were just too wide. On sharp turns they would rub and I don't want that. So I went for the 255/50/18 Proxes. They fit beautifully. It looks so sweet!!!!!!!! Yeah I know, this post is no good without pictures. I will try to get some up as soon as possible. But yeah it also handles much better on the corners. I weighed one of the rims and it was about 28 lbs. So, what is the difference from stock EX alloy and DX steelies? I know the tires weigh more then those POS Wranglers. As of now they had 18,000 miles and the edges were so rounded.
L.

hardguy
01-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Awesome L. Just as I figured, the 255/55/18 is too big and 255/50 is just right. Cool, can't wait to see the pics! Hey, see if you can take some pics showing how flush the wheels/tires are to the front and rear fenders. Thanks.

paulj
01-29-2005, 06:56 PM
So where did the 255/55/18 s rub? On the strut tower, or on the fender? They are no wider than the 50s (at least not on paper), but they are taller. Taller in fact than the 235/70/16 which about the largest that fits with the stock rims.

paulj

SRLNCLT
01-30-2005, 10:19 AM
It was weird. Before mounting the tires, I compared the 50 to the 55 and the 50 look wider. However the 50 was about a half inch shorter. With the 55, on the drivers side, there was about a quarter of an inch where the outer portion of the tire had to spare in the front of the wheel well. If you were going over a bump and turning it'd hit the inner fender wall. When turning left, on the drivers side, the the outer tire was hitting the rear fender wall. It is suprising that there wasn't much sidewall difference between theh 50 and 55. But yeah, I feel like I'm back in my civic when taking the corners, not really but the tires definatley do help. If some of this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain better.
L.

SRLNCLT
01-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Neither tire had a problem with hitting the strut tower. The 55 "looked" half inch to an inch wider.
L.

paulj
01-30-2005, 12:31 PM
I would expect 255/50/18 and 255/55/18 tires to have same maximum width, which would determine clearance between tire and the vertical part of the strut tower.

The 55 should be taller (1/2" in radius). It is also possible that its tread width is a bit less than for the 50, since there may be more taper from widest point to the tread. Toyo spec tables don't list tread width. I've noticed that taper comparing some models of 225/70/16 and 225/75/16, but the pattern may not hold for these lower profile tires.

lars161
01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
well, the 55 series rubbed because it is a taller tire bringing it closer to the whell wells when turning.

hey SRLNCLT is yours lowered? I don't remember.

SRLNCLT
01-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I did the whole lowering thing with my Civic. This is a AWD. I was thinking about it but after getting the rims put on I'm not going to, and the fact that since my parents gave me the E for free, they are putting a couple restrictions on me with it, and lowering it is one of them. And I respect that. I got a little carried away with putting stuff on my civic. And lowering cost a lot more then I planned with the civic, springs, camber kit, alignment, new tires because I waited a year to get a camber kit ;) I've seen E's on here lowered and E's left stock, I think both ways look very nice. Unlike when I had 17's on my civic it looked like it had a lift kit on it. The width of the tires is also very nice. They stick out just a little, just enough.
L.

jaks
02-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi,

Hope you can help me out with some questions.

How much do your new wheels stick out from the front fenders?

Do you notice any difference in drivability with your new wheels/tires?

Also, how much room is left over for snow cables?

Where's a good place to buy those Proxes S/T tires?

Type X
02-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey all. Today was the day. I finally mounted up my rims. First I tried the 255/55/18 Proxes S/T. They didn't fit. The rims, as most of you may know, are TSW Reflex 18x8 +35 offset. They were just too wide. On sharp turns they would rub and I don't want that. So I went for the 255/50/18 Proxes. They fit beautifully. It looks so sweet!!!!!!!! Yeah I know, this post is no good without pictures. I will try to get some up as soon as possible. But yeah it also handles much better on the corners. I weighed one of the rims and it was about 28 lbs. So, what is the difference from stock EX alloy and DX steelies? I know the tires weigh more then those POS Wranglers. As of now they had 18,000 miles and the edges were so rounded.
L.

you say width but just decreased the height

so which is it?

and you bought the tires 2 times over ?

SRLNCLT
02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
The tires are just about the same diameter as the stock tires. So chains should fit if they are wide enough. I would say they stick out maybe an inch from the fender. I only bought one set of tires. I first had them try the 255/55 on cuz I wanted a little bigger tire but they didn't fit. They drive way better then stock, less rubber better handling. I bought them at a local tire shop here in the northwest, Les Schwab. Go anywhere that sells Toyos and they'll have them. Type X, I guess I don't understand your question. The 255/55 were taller. However the 255/50 looked a tad bit wider.
L.