Costco or Sam's Club for Wheels? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Costco or Sam's Club for Wheels?

lwclancers
02-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used Costco or Sam's Club for new wheels on their E's?

I dont have the change to get new rims, but would love to get some beefier tires to put on the stock rims...maybe some 235/70/16, since I have seen numerous threads supporting this size.

In any case, just wondering if anyone tried these stores as an ulternative since the install of the wheels is likely cheaper, if not free, when getting them there. As opposed to ordering them online and taking them to a shop.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Genom
02-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I have gone to BJ's Club ( let the inuendos begin! ) for tires and got them for a good deal. I got a set of BF Goodrich Touring TAs for my Isuzu Pup when I had it. Just check on the people doing the actual work...there was another location that had a couple of slackers changing the tires...looked like a couple of monkeys f***ing a football.

lwclancers
02-02-2005, 11:09 PM
LOL.

Yea, was looking at Costco's website, I gotta say, thats a great deal. Price includes the tire, installation, disposal AND lifetime rotations/balances.

Only problem is the disclaimer says they will ONLY install apporved tore size for a vehicle, however the final decision lays with the manager of the shop.

I guess there goes the idea of going from a the 215 to a 235...unless they dont consider that too much of a change.

Genom
02-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I had aftermarket wheels and everything on my Isuzu...I picked out 215-70-15's for it and they went right on...who are they to hold me to the factory size of 185-75-14? Just go, pick out four tires and they put 'em on, real easy. Be sure to research the specific tires on the net first to make sure they are what you're looking for and are indeed an upgrade over stock.

lwclancers
02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Oh believe me I know! Luckily alot of people have put the 235/70/16s on, and I like the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts some have recommended. But I need to read from a formal "review" first.

But I have a question in another thread about the difference between A/T and M/S? I know M/S is supposed to be great, but wouldn't A/T do the same thing?

Personllay the stock M/S Wranglers we get on the E suck. The M/S BFs I have stock on my Envoy are awesome. So I am lost as to what to really look for. To be truthful, I have had my E 7 months and had no idea those crap tires were even M+S until today when I noticed the mark on the tire, and was in shock cause I slide around quite a bit, and I have AWD.

paulj
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I checked prices online for both Costco and Sams, and talked a bit with the sales people at my local Sams. Prices do look good. BFG TA KOs for example run under $130 at Sams, though there is a $10 mounting fee. The Costco price is closer to $140, but includes mounting.

I would have been comfortable getting the stock size in this tire from Sams, maybe even the 225/70/16 size. However, without carefully checking the return policy, I would not try 235/70/16 - the fit with this blocky of tire is marginal. Also I did not get the impression that the sales people were all the knowledgeable, and couldn't be counted on for good advice.

If you know what you want, and are sure of the fit, this may be a good way to go. But a local independent dealer may be better able to give you good advise, and help you with marginal fits.

paulj

DrFaulken
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Just to clarify, you're talking about getting tires at Sam's Club and not actually wheels, right? I've only seen tires at Costco, but if they have wheels + tires I might go check them out again.

paulj
02-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh believe me I know! Luckily alot of people have put the 235/70/16s on, and I like the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts some have recommended.

Which Dueler A/T do you have in mind? A/T D693, which also comes in the 215/70/16 size, or A/T Revo, which only comes in 235/70/16? When I wrote on the other tread about the LTX M/S v Bridgestone A/T, I was working from info on the D693 model.

Samsclub online does not list any Bridgestones; mainly Goodyear, BFG and Michelin.

paulj

jimballz
02-03-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm going to be purchusing my tires at sams club and I've got the prices for the 5 diffrent tires all 225/75/16 and they don't have a problem with the upgraded size and they will still honor the life time rotations and balancing also comes with a roadhazard warrenty. Tires are tires who cares where you get them as long as your getting a good deal. All brands are the same nomatter where you buy

lwclancers
02-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Which Dueler A/T do you have in mind? A/T D693, which also comes in the 215/70/16 size, or A/T Revo, which only comes in 235/70/16? When I wrote on the other tread about the LTX M/S v Bridgestone A/T, I was working from info on the D693 model.

Samsclub online does not list any Bridgestones; mainly Goodyear, BFG and Michelin.

paulj

I was looking at the 235 Revos. I was hoping they had a long tread life given my daily commute, but also good for M+S, but it didnt say anything about being M+S rated.

Oh and I was more impressed with the selection off of Costco's website.

lwclancers
02-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Just to clarify, you're talking about getting tires at Sam's Club and not actually wheels, right? I've only seen tires at Costco, but if they have wheels + tires I might go check them out again.

Thats my bad, my terminology of the subject sucks. I meant just tires. If I could afford rims with all the other upgrades I want to do I would. But then again I am looking for more of the beefy offroad look. I dont think 20" rims with spinners would look quite right ;)

LEGO MY E
02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Hmm... Costco might be a good option if you had an entire fleet of vehicles. That way you could buy 'em in BULK!! ;)

spdrcr5
02-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I have purchased 3 or 4 sets of tires over the years for various cars and trucks at Price Club/Costco without issue.

As for going oversized from what stock is. On my truck that had a standard truck 15" tire I put on BFG A/T 30x9.5x15 tires that I bought and had installed at Costco.

I completely agree with you on your assesment of the stock Goodyear tires. POS IMHO.

BigFoot
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm buying at Costco dem dare Michelins.

Sheniferous
05-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I have gone to BJ's Club ( let the inuendos begin! ) for tires and got them for a good deal. I got a set of BF Goodrich Touring TAs for my Isuzu Pup when I had it. Just check on the people doing the actual work...there was another location that had a couple of slackers changing the tires...looked like a couple of monkeys f***ing a football.

The last time I went to BJ's Club I was blown away!

[rimshot]

I'm glad this thread was started as I will be buying some new shoes for the E at either Costco or Sam's Club as well...

Havenview
05-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I have purchased tires for my other cars at Costco and they were great. Free roadhazard, lifetime balancing, nitrogen filled (they loose pressure slower that way) and they have a large selection and can special order most tires.

napoleon_E
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I bought my tires at BJs

Saved a ton of money!

vegasbaby
06-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Make sure to talk to the manger first. I went to Sam's and they wouldn't mount any tire that wasn't the stock size.

Dave_C
06-03-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a coupon for 60 bucks off Michelin's or Bridgestone's from Costco if anyone wants it...I'm not going to use it, but figured somone could if you were going to be buying between now and the end of the month. PM me and I'll just stick it in an envelope, no one in my family at this point needs new tires, and I'm not putting either brand on my E when I pick it up (probably going with BFG's).

Good June 6-26 for a set of four tires..

Dave.

geoduck
06-04-2005, 12:42 AM
I have purchased Michelin and Pirelli tires from Costco a few times over the past 15 years or so and had nothing but positive experiences. Once had to use the road hazard warranty to replace a tire without any hassle.
I just ordered a set of Michelin® HydroEdge tires for our AWD minivan at $127 each. I'll apply that $60 sweetener when they arrive at the store on Wednesday. If the HydroEdges' ride is as good as the TireRack reviews claim, then I'll consider hanging a set on my Element. The OEM Goodyears spook my wife.

Costco now uses nitrogen as the air source for filling tires.

Seattle is the Costco mecca, of course, and I've never been inside one of those Sam's Club joints. I've been told that Costcos are much classier if that word can be applied to a warehouse-type setting.

vegasbaby
06-04-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a coupon for 60 bucks off Michelin's or Bridgestone's from Costco if anyone wants it...I'm not going to use it, but figured somone could if you were going to be buying between now and the end of the month. PM me and I'll just stick it in an envelope, no one in my family at this point needs new tires, and I'm not putting either brand on my E when I pick it up (probably going with BFG's).

Good June 6-26 for a set of four tires..

Dave.

Check with your Costco about the BFG's. My Sam's Club carries them, I just have to order them online and have them delivered to the store. Just a FYI.

Dave_C
06-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Check with your Costco about the BFG's. My Sam's Club carries them, I just have to order them online and have them delivered to the store. Just a FYI.

Vegas, thanks...actually my Costco stocks them on the racks, but as far as my $60 coupon I've got, they don't apply to BFG's is all I was sayin' :)

Dave

vegasbaby
06-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Just watchin your back...

Dave_C
06-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Mucho appreciated dude!!!! :grin:

Dave.

cdkrall
06-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Starting Monday, there's a $60 refund on sets of four Michelins at Costco.

Mounted price is $129 for 225/70/16 LTX M/S.

There's another brand with the same deal, can't remember which one, might be Bridgestone.

Dave_C
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM

There's another brand with the same deal, can't remember which one, might be Bridgestone.

You're kidding?!!??!???!? :twisted: :-D

j/k...I know...about 5 or 6 posts before this I offered my Costco coupon for anyone that needed it...and you're right, it is Bridgestones and Michelin's.

Dave.

MikeQBF
06-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Yep. Michelins and Bridgestones. I have another car that's waiting for the coupon to start for set of special Bridgerocks. Since they're usually a special order spec (RE92), I hope they don't hose me on the coupon.

MikeQBF
06-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey! No coupon needed! According to the Costco website, the $60 discount is on any Michelin or Bridgestone order.

Check it out!

Arnie
06-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody
I am seriously considering Costco as my source for my next tires (got a whoppin 26k on wranglers) but I'm wondering a few things...
Does anyone know which Bridgestone Duelers Costco is using? I am only interested in standard 215 size. On TireRack there seems to be quite a few Bridgestone Dueler type tires and their ratings are kind of all over. Anyone bought the Bridgestone Duelers from Costco... opinions?
I've tried searching here but I keep bringing up info on 235, Revos.
I was thinking of going to Discount Tire Co and getting Yokohama Geolanders for around $480 with tax, but I can save well over $100 if the tires at Costco are any good.
Anyone know?

BigFoot
06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Go to Costco.com and check their list of tires. When I bought my Michelins a few weeks ago they had to order them in, and said they only can get what's listed online.

Hey everybody
I am seriously considering Costco as my source for my next tires (got a whoppin 26k on wranglers) but I'm wondering a few things...
Does anyone know which Bridgestone Duelers Costco is using? I am only interested in standard 215 size. On TireRack there seems to be quite a few Bridgestone Dueler type tires and their ratings are kind of all over. Anyone bought the Bridgestone Duelers from Costco... opinions?
I've tried searching here but I keep bringing up info on 235, Revos.
I was thinking of going to Discount Tire Co and getting Yokohama Geolanders for around $480 with tax, but I can save well over $100 if the tires at Costco are any good.
Anyone know?

MikeQBF
06-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Go to Costco.com and check their list of tires. When I bought my Michelins a few weeks ago they had to order them in, and said they only can get what's listed online.
Hmm??!??! That can't be true... maybe your guy didn't work very hard. The "odd" spec that I needed had disappeared from the website, but they were still able to order it for me at the store. They found mine in an alternate warehouse and should be in next week.

BigFoot
06-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Come to think of it, he did appear lazy and shiftless. No wait, that was me, he was perhaps just ignorant.