245/55/18s on 18x8 +45 offset? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 245/55/18s on 18x8 +45 offset?

Snarf77
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Will this setup work on the E? Several Element Members seem to have the same tires with a +40 offset. I posted this question once, but i"m ancy for a quick response so I can get them on the car this weekend!

Any PM, post, or email would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

hardguy
02-24-2005, 07:43 AM
245/55/18 will be very close. It has an overall diameter of 28.6 in.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9097&page=4&pp=10

According to this post from another member of this forum (SRLNCLT), he tried 255/55/18 but they rubbed so he went with 255/50/18 instead with no problems. The size you want to use land in the middle of those two diameter wise, so it will be a close call. Hope that helped and good luck.

255/50/18 dia.= 28.0" -fits fine
245/55/18 dia.= 28.6" -????????
255/55/18 dia.= 29.0" -doesn't fit

bguild
02-24-2005, 09:14 AM
http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Check this link out.. It will tell you what is the same diameter as factory if you type in the factory tire size. Then the only thing you have to worry about is offset and width. I just order some 20's and 245/40/20 tires which is almost identicle to the factory tire size. Anyway good luck.

Snarf77
02-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Well, according to tirerack the diameter will fit with no problems. My concern is with the +45 offset. In other words, is this 245 width, combined with this profile (55), going to be a problem with this offset?

Others have used this exact tire with a 40 offset, I just have 18x8 +45 wheels? Aye carumba!

SRLNCLT
02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be tight. It might fit. It'll probably depend on the tire brand and tread. The 255/50 fit almost like stock, circumfrence. The offset may also cause a problem. Mine are 18x8 with a 35 offset. I think you'll have to try them on to tell.
L.

paulj
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Have you plugged your sizes into the tirecalc program?

Since 235/70/16 are a well established 'largest size', I like to use those as a reference.

There are 3 fit points to worry about
- the inner edge of the rim.
- the widest point on the mounted tire - relative to the strut tower
- the tread edge - relative to the bell of the strut tower

Since your diameter is just a bit more than 225/70/16s, I'd focus on the section width rather than tread width.

According to the tirecalc program, your tires on a 40 offset place the inner edge at just about the same distance from the tower as 235/70/16 tires. Using 45 offset would move this edge 5mm closer.

Since 45 is the same offset as the stock wheels, you are moving the wheel rim .75" closer to the tower, and the widest point of tire approximately 15mm closer.

Question: what is the measured rim width for your tires, 8"? If not you will have to tweak the section width estimate.

paulj

Snarf77
02-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Since 45 is the same offset as the stock wheels, you are moving the wheel rim .75" closer to the tower, and the widest point of tire approximately 15mm closer.

Question: what is the measured rim width for your tires, 8"? If not you will have to tweak the section width estimate.

paulj

Great information. My my, I had no idea it was so complicated, or tight under the E. The measured rim width for my tire is 8 inches and the section width is 9.9 inches or 252 millimeters. The Tires have an overall diameter of 28.5 inches on 18x8 wheels.

I compared it to the 235/70/16s in the calculater but all i got from it is that it isn't as tall and is a bit wider...so is that 15mm closer within acceptable limits?

I appreciate the help!

Snarf77
02-24-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.dsm.org/www.dsm.org.1998/tools/tiresize.htm

Using this tool, it says that if i were to replace a 235/70/16 with a 55series tire on an 18 inch rim, i need a tire that is 253 mm wide to stay in the same tire size.

Thats pretty positive considering the 252 mm width stated by the manufacturer for an 8 inch wide wheel? Am I right?

paulj
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
I looked up a 245/55/18 tire on tirerack - they list one, a BFgoodrich

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=455WR8GFTAKDWS

It can be mounted on a rim that 7-8.5 wide, but 8" is the 'measured rim width'. This means that when mounted on this wide of a wheel, the tire, at its widest (section width), will be close to 245mm, or 9.9" according to this table. Overall diameter is listed as 28.5".

Numbers for some other brand (Toyo?) will be slightly different, but close.

If you mounted the tire on a different rim, the section width will slightly different, something like .2" for .5" change in rim width. This value is listed as a footnote on some tire spec tables. But since your rims match the measured value we don't have to worry about this.

Overall diameter has three affects - it changes speedometer readings, it changes height off the ground, and it changes where the tread edge of the tire is, relative to the bell part of the strut tower. Since you are talking about a tire that is a bit smaller in overall diameter than the largest that most people put on the Element, I don't expect problems with the overall diameter.

What I remain concerned about is the space between the widest point on your tires and the tower behind it. In the attached picture you can see this point just above the blue cover on the tire chains. This picture was taken with 225/70/16 Goodyear Integrity tires on stock rims. With proposed rims and tires, I'd expect this widest point to move 10 mm closer to the tower ((245-225)/2), and up about an inch (an inch greater wheel radius, and about the same overall tire diameter).

paulj

Snarf77
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
The picture helps a lot. I'm going to give it a shot on Saturday morning and see how it works out. I'm going to bring my camera and see if the mechanics will let me take a picture with the wheels mounted on the car if they clear, just as a reference.

I think there is a centimeter of space towards the inside, and perhaps an inch up...ugh..so close.

hardguy
02-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Good luck. Post some pics after please. Humm. Will the tire shop let you test drive a new set of tires to check for fitment? Just make sure they don't rub over bumps and hard cornering before you buy though.

paulj
02-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Another fit point to check: turn the front tires about half way, and check the spacing between the tread edge and the vertical fin on the back edge of the wheel well.

paulj

Snarf77
02-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Everything worked out just fine. The clearances are close, but after takingit for a ride and hitting some bumps and driving up on a curb, no rubbing problems whatsoever.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421529122/19.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421529122/20.jpg

The mounting balancing and sticky weights were a bit more than I expected, but the service was great and I was allowed into the shop space to take all the pictures i wanted.

If i come accross some 5mm wheel spacers I'm going to get them and throw them on the car just to be safe. This tire and wheel would work marvelouslly in 18x8 +40 offset as opposed to +45, but the 245/55/18s work just fine on 18x8 with a +45.

I'm going to reccommend this shop in another post for anyone in Northern Virginia.

Arch E Type
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Glad you got what you wanted Snarf. Looking forward to more pix showing the whole set-up from the sides and front.
Thanks for the info regarding the DX wheels. Me thinks the
cross country distance will rack up the shipping charges.
I wonder if I can have them ordered for my 2005 CK, EX, AWD when it goes into production next month, perhaps even save me some $$.

jaks
02-27-2005, 04:14 AM
Snarf77,

Could you post some comments about your new BFGoodrich 245/55/18 tires?

Fit to the outer edge of the fenders with your 45 offset
Road noise
Ride & handling

Thanks a bunch.

Snarf77
02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Initial thoughts on BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS in bullet format :)

- Larger wheels and tires give a bit more harsh ride over the bumps. Its perfectly acceptable and far from jarring, but definatly not as much sidewall there.

- The tires are SO WIDE. As soon as there isn't a snowstorm in the forcast, I'm going to wash the E and take some pictures. My E really holds the road now, and the steering feels a bit different around the longer sweeping turns.

-Its harder to spin a wheel, not that I try. With the original Goodyears, when I would pull out turning left accross traffic, the left front would generally give a spin before it caught. Especially in sand/gravels. The new tires do it FAR less.

-Sound crazy, but the element felt a little taller when i got in it at first. Maybe its psychological, maybe not, but it did feel taller to me.

-Looks--holy crap, the gunmetal looks GRRRRRREEEEAAAAT (see Tony the frosted flake tiger) with the gray panels. My E no longer screams Base model as I"m putting around town. I watched a kid walk into a no parking sign in front of Subway while looking at my wheels.

The tires were CHEAP. I got them for 88 bucks at Tirerack on super sale. They offer a ton more rubber. When i had a flat and replace the LF Goodyear, it was 178 installed. I won't be doing that again.

So I"m thrilled if you can't tell. The car definatley drives a bit differenty, but not on the bad side of the scale. I"m interested to see how they wear, the tread is very deep and square.

One thing, probably said it before. These tires, or this size, would work marvelously on 18x8 +40, and would really give some good clearances. My fitment is tight but acceptable. I"m going to continue to check for any rubbing, but I think i'm ok.

Paulj, the clearance between the wheels and the "fin" in the back is about 1.5 - 2 inches. I can post a pic of that too.