Survey: Replacement All-around Tires? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Survey: Replacement All-around Tires?

JamesCzar
03-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Simple Question: If you replaced your stock tires with an all-around performer, what tire did you replace it with?
(This is not for people who've opted for low-profile or other "street" style tires.)

Please indicate Brand, Model, and Size.

Thanks!

ElementXofXMusic
03-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I really like Yokohama tires, they grip really well, or if you want more agressive tread I like sumitomo.

spdrcr5
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Nokian WR SUV 225 70R/16

They didn't offer the stock size this year, though my guess is they will be importing them very soon.

JamesCzar
03-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Some more input from PaulJ:

Several months ago I scanned posts (here and on .org) for tires, sticking with stock rims. There wasn't a strong preference for any one tires, but here are some that came up 2 or more times:

BFGoodrich A/T KO 225/70/16, 235/70/16, 225/75/16
Bridgestone AT REVO 235/70/16
Firestone Destination LE 225/70/16
Goodyear Fortura/Fortrera? 235/70/16
Kumho KH 11 235/60/16
Michelin Cross Terrain 225/70/16
Nokian WR-SUV 225/70/16 (winner at 5 times)
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 215/70/16

Most have moved up a notch in size; only the Geolander was a common replacement in the stock size.
2003 DX SSM AWD AT, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/70/16, Xpel, Gutter Guard, amber reflectors, pseudo-Yakima roof rack, Sidekick, modified-tailgate tent, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, IFinder GPS in RAM Mount

Please keep the feedback coming!

Element Art
03-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm still on stock tires but I am looking at options. In stock size I've found:
Dunlop Radial Rover AT 215/70/16...saw them for $75...Consumer Reports rated them pretty high. They were above average in dry and wet braking, above average in smooth ride and low noise, but lowest in ice braking and had a below average in rolling resistance meaning not as good for gas mileage. Snow traction was average for the all season test.

Pirelli Scorpion STR also come in the stock size for $87 at Vulcantire.com. They were rated in second place by CR in the same issue (Nov 04). They look like great handling tires but rated low in snow and ice. Maybe not great for year round in the north country.

I'm thinking of going to a set of 17inch rims with a good handling 3 season tire and using my stock wheels for winter. When I was young we always had summer wheels and tires, then a set of wheels with snow tires for the winter. The winter set lasted a looooong time.

It makes sense to start looking early then watch for deals. You can save a chunk of change that way.

Great thread.

JamesCzar
03-05-2005, 08:57 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking... I just got the E, but it's worth investigating and looking for deals now, to save a bunch when the opportunity arises.

From what I'm reading here, I have around 20k miles to go on the OEM tires, give or take, so that gives me about a year and a half at the most to find new tires.

paulj
03-05-2005, 09:41 PM
In the list I collected, people were doing more than just replacing worn stock tires. Some changed in the first few thousand miles. Many wanted to go as large as possible, hence the 235/70/16 sizes. Revo is a highly regarded tire in this size. Others wanted all around tires with excellent snow performance, hence the Nokians. KOs have a well established reputation in the AT category. Selection in the 225/70/16 size is a bit better than in the 215 width, with only a 2% diameter change. 235/60/16 is a good choice if you want to move in the 'performance' direction.

paulj

Empire
03-05-2005, 10:20 PM
235/70/16 Bridgestone Revos like Paul mentioned.
No problems, no complaints. Made the switch from stock at 8k, now at over 32k and they're still doing fine with plenty of meat left on them.

http://img127.exs.cx/img127/5683/bsdueleratrevowlci2l0xi.jpg

Gadjet
03-05-2005, 11:05 PM
17" Michelin Cross Terrain..............

trickyvick
03-06-2005, 10:39 AM
235/70/16 Bridgestone Revos like Paul mentioned.
No problems, no complaints. Made the switch from stock at 8k, now at over 32k and they're still doing fine with plenty of meat left on them.

I agree....i have a set of the REVO's on my Toyota...and I LOVE them...would recommend them to anyone looking for an AT tire.

Nat
03-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm partial to Goodyears and will replace my oem wranglers with the Fortera's.
Consumer Reports also rated them #1 in their most recent reviews.

Nat
03-06-2005, 02:26 PM
P.S. I have 41,500 miles currently on my oem Wranglers and will easily go to 50,000 miles which is my estimated setpoint for new tires.

paulj
03-06-2005, 04:16 PM
In an earlier thread where the 20 tires in the Consumer Reports SUV test were listed, I collected information on what sizes are available.

Retailers like tirerack and tires101 have consumer ratings for the brands they sell. The Geolanders come out near the top in the 'highway allseason' category, though some reviews say 'I tried this tire because it was top rated, and was disappointed because of ...' So while some differences in reviews (consumer, CR, or this forum) are understandable, other aspects are pretty mysterious.

paulj

Empire
03-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Here's a commercial for Bridgestone Tires some of you might like.

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-538.htm

tom108
03-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Nice!! LOL

-tom :)

yoda13
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
P.S. I have 41,500 miles currently on my oem Wranglers and will easily go to 50,000 miles which is my estimated setpoint for new tires.

glad to hear that someone besides me is getting good wear from the stock tires. I still have a way to go to catch your mileage, but the tires still looks new, so I hope to get at least 35000 miles out of them.

lae10851
03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
I opted for BF Goodrich 245-55-18

trickyvick
03-07-2005, 10:30 PM
glad to hear that someone besides me is getting good wear from the stock tires. I still have a way to go to catch your mileage, but the tires still looks new, so I hope to get at least 35000 miles out of them.

I am getting ok....at last rotation (13,000), I noticed a little more wear on the front but I tend to corner hard :cool:

Honu
03-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Nokian WR SUV 225 70R/16

Probably wouldn't buy them if you don't ever drive snow or ice though.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/NokianRear3-4.JPG

fishpuff
03-10-2005, 01:52 AM
HO HO HO!!! Merry St. Patricks day!!

Am i the only E driver here with NOKIANS in Southern California? i wonder..

i was debating between some michelins mtx, cross terrain suv, BFG long trail, and the nokian wr suv. i ended up with nokians wr suv 225/70 R16s from tirefactory?-- for 520, no tax, free shipping. paid 40 bones for mount n balance at my local east los tire hole. which still came a lil cheaper than the michelin mtx's i was lookin at.

so far, 2 weeks later, drives great and smooth! comfy, comfy. BUT, i have noticed that my mileage dropped about 10-20 miles a gallon. why?-- hell, i dont know. i do drive mostly city, and i do drive really hard though-- but i betting that i get probably over 300 on a tank still on my excursions to the mammoth and bishop. got a chance to drive these suckers in the nasty wet weather LA has been getting and man, i feel like these things dont know how to hydroplane, opposed to my butterfingers (wranglers). suckers stuck to the ground even when i was driving 75 in some nasty ass shower. everyone else slowed way down.

also, i have come to some after thoughts about these tires--
although i love them so far, they might be a lil too much tire for the mild driving conditions (weather that is..) in LA. i went with these because i drive up to the mountains alot, and with the great reviews they get, i had to take the chance. plus, everyday, i cant help but take a stare at my E in the morning before i sit in it-- cause they make the E look so much more tougher!

i keep sayin that ill post some pics, but damn, i been procrastinatin on everything lately. maybe ill get my lazy ass out and take a pic tomorrow..

ok, enough of my 2 cents. like i know anything anways...

biocube
03-10-2005, 12:28 PM
are you going to come to the HB thing saturday? i'd like to see them in person!

fishpuff
03-10-2005, 11:55 PM
are you going to come to the HB thing saturday? i'd like to see them in person!

no, unfortunately no. i already planned a trip to bishop this weekend for some more fishing. i would love to show you guys my E. of course my E, the way i treat it, is nothing to be proud of. cracked windshield, dented hood, front left panel, scraped up front bumper. and hasnt been washed in months. maybe, one day, where the fishing slows down, which it will shortly, ill wash it up, and come out to one of these gatherings. do they happen often??

vegasbaby
03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
How about the Michelin X Radials 225/70/16. They have them at sam's for a great price. Any word on these?

paulj
03-20-2005, 10:34 AM
You may not be able to find much on the X radial LT tires beyond what Michelin says on the their web site. It is described as 'Available at BJ's®, Costco®, and Sam's Club®'. This means you won't find any customer reviews on retail sites like Tirerack.

You could compare the tire to other Michelin offerings, trying to a find a similar tire that is sold more widely. Then seek reviews of that tire, and project that information back on to the X radials.

Doing part of your homework, this tire look similar to the LTX M/S in Michelin's ratings (though the radial has more circumferential grooves). I believe that M/S has been discussed on this forum.

paulj

vegasbaby
03-20-2005, 11:07 AM
As always. You are on your A game. They look more AT-ish than the LTX. More rugged so to speak.

vegasbaby
03-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Went to Sam's Club today paid to have them put a set of the X Radials on and spent about an hour in the store. Went back to check on it and the guys said they couldn't put them on because they weren't the correct size for my vehicle per their book. They refused to put the 225/70/16's because it wasn't in their manual . What a crock. Back to shopping around for tires...

lwclancers
03-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Make sure to ask that first :) A couple of posts on here mentioned to simply ask around. I know a few people have had the Costco managers allow then, but had to ask first.

I will do that before I ever even bother going in...well, if I even go in cause Costco doesnt carry the Bridgestone Dueler RIVOs in 235/70/16.

vegasbaby
03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
They don't trust that the consumer is making an informed decision. Thats the problem...

paulj
03-20-2005, 07:49 PM
The tire department people, both the sales person and the ones who get their fingernails dirty, at a place like Sams answer to the corporation, with little room to act on their own, or to make an informed decision based on the customer's wishes.

I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw of the X Radials on Michelin's web site. They seemed to be designed for a small businessman who wants a good deal on a long lasting tire for his delivery van.

If you want to get BFG KOs in the stock size, then Sam's or Costco may be a good place to shop.

paulj

vegasbaby
03-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm looking at the Coopers but they don't make a 225/70/16 and the Toyo Open Country AT. They gave me a good price at a Good Year for the Toyo's. But haven't read much about them.

vegasbaby
03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Got the Toyo Open Country AT 225/70/16. Real Nice! Will post pics soon. I didn't need the real meaty KO's for FL driving.