2WD VS AWD Wheels & Lowering ?'S [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 2WD VS AWD Wheels & Lowering ?'S

Alan M
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm new to this fourm and Element (scene). This is a GREAT site I found here. They have alway's caught my eye on the road, then I went to the Auto Show here the other night and WOW!! I have to get one. The questions I have are should I go 2WD or AWD? Are the aftermarket wheels and springs the same for both? or is there not as much available for the AWD? and do you alway's have a :grin: on your face when your driving in it? Thanks for any feedback, Alan :)

Dobermann
05-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I bought the 2 wd because I wanted better gas mileage and also a dealer told me it was better acceleration...

lwclancers
05-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I bought the 2 wd because I wanted better gas mileage and also a dealer told me it was better acceleration...

Where are you getting your info from? Its not ALL-time AWD. Most of the time the AWD E's are driving around in 2WD. Gas mielage is pretty much the same.

Acceleration....WHAT? :confused:

Genom
05-08-2005, 09:44 PM
As far as I can tell, all the aftermarket suspension parts interchange between the 2WD and AWD models, wheels are the same too.

As far as 2WD vs. AWD in Florida...would you really need an AWD E? Do you travel out of state to places where there would be snow? Do you tow a small boat or personal water craft that you would need to launch at a boat ramp? I'm trying to think up a number of scenarios where someone in Florida would have a genuine need for an AWD vehicle...any dirt/muddy roads you frequent getting to a favorite fishing spot? As for me living in the northeast, AWD was the better choice with the winters we experience here (yes, it came in handy this past winter). The mileage difference between the two is nearly negligable (what? 1 or 2 MPG? Woweee)...plus I really like the rear moon roof and often have it open or have the glass removed.

dfcas
05-09-2005, 09:06 AM
I've had an 03 2 WD and now have an 05 AWD.Gas mileage is 10% worse on the AWD and it is not as peppy.I liked the 2 WD better except for poor traction on snow/ice.

The biggest difference is at highway speed.I think swirling the fluid around in the rear dif/clutch pack at speed makes the AWD feel sluggish when trying to pass/accelerate.I don't notice any difference around town.

dan