Wheel spacer question [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Wheel spacer question

cjmclean
03-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Question about wheel spacers:

I'm trying one last option before selling these wheels. The offset is 55mm. If I buy 8mm (5/16") wheel spacers, it will bring the offset down to 47mm (which is only 2mm inward from stock). So:

Will using 8mm spacers safely leave me enough room on the studs? Most people are saying as long as I have 6 - 8 turns on the studs they will be safe.

Do I have to find spacers with the same hub diameter as the stock wheels? I'm a little confused as to how it might affect fitment if I buy wheel spacers that have too large or too small center diameter... or does it even matter?

Genom
03-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Wheel spacers are somewhat of a touchy subject with me (although nowhere near as bad as wheel adapters given my experience with air cooled VWs).

In the days of a straight shank mag wheel lugs, you would just get a set of lugs that were 5/16" longer to match the thickness of the spacer, and nothing really changes. Most wheels today use a conical seat lug, and if you start spacing the wheel away from the hub, you get less stud to work with. I would measure how much stud protrudes from the wheel/spacer combination and see how far you can thread the lug on to it. If it were me and I was set on the wheels, go with at least 2/3 of the stud threading into the lug (I don't really like the sound of 6 or 8 turns given differing thread pitches, thus differing amounts of threads engaged).

As far as hub diameter, you may not be able to find one that fits well, and I think your concern is having a spacer that is wildly off center which may not distribute the wheel weight evenly and/or throw the wheel assembly out of balance. If the wheels are of open design, you probably can get your fingers through the wheel to get the spacer centered as best you can (or you can cheat and put a small smear of grease on the hub and "stick" the spacer there in position).

Again, I'm not a big fan of wheel spacing, but if it can be done in a safe fashion and you're not so intent on keeping the wheels that you will create an unsafe condition for both you and those driving around you, then do it. Just be certain you have plenty of stud length to tighten the lugs to.

cjmclean
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
The wheels are Acura wheels, and they have a 64mm center bore. My concern is whether the wheel spacers need to be hubcentric in order to keep the factory wheel flush against the hub.

H&R makes 64mm hubcentric wheel spacers for 64.95 + free shipping. I was just curious whether it was a necessity or not.

My concern is that if the bore on the spacer is too large (most of them are 70-80mm) then the wheel might not sit centered on hub/spacer.

Does that make sense?

Genom
03-22-2005, 05:42 PM
I get it now...if the spacer moves the wheel out far enough, the wheel will not center itself on the hub, but on the lugs...you're also putting all the weight onto the lugs instead of having some of the load carried on the hub. (I really hate the whole lug/hub-centric nonsense) As far as centering the wheel, the conical lugs will still do that, so your wheels won't be wildly off center.

cjmclean
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I get it now...if the spacer moves the wheel out far enough, the wheel will not center itself on the hub, but on the lugs...you're also putting all the weight onto the lugs instead of having some of the load carried on the hub. (I really hate the whole lug/hub-centric nonsense) As far as centering the wheel, the conical lugs will still do that, so your wheels won't be wildly off center.

I need to look at the wheel itself and see how deep the hub is. I don't think that 8mm is enough to draw the wheel so far out that the wheel won't still sit ontop of the hub itself, but I'll measure it.

I guess you are right, the conical lugs *should* center the wheel but I would like to have the hubcentric wheels do their job to avoid any problems.