Pressure Q... [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Pressure Q...

QKMPULSE
04-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Hey,

I'm confused about cold air pressure vs. hot air pressure in Tires.

For instance if the sidewall says MAX 44 psi, I shouldn't put more than 44 psi in when cold since it will increase as the tire heats up?

What pressure should I put in the tires (35 psi or some other #)?

Thx, Phil

boxed up
04-21-2005, 04:11 AM
dont go over the max. that is the cold inflation max. if your at the stock setting when you drive it will heat up and go approx 4psi greater. add air in 2 psi increments.

paulj
04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
The sticker on the door gives recommended pressures front and back. If possible check pressures in the morning before the sun has a chance to heat one side or the other, and before you drive anywhere (which also heats the tires).

Tirerack tech article on tire pressures:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

boxed up
04-22-2005, 12:03 AM
correct
always fine adjust in 2psi increments. i just went up 2f and 2r. the stock tires blow so any higher and they drive like crap

QKMPULSE
04-22-2005, 01:41 AM
correct
always fine adjust in 2psi increments. i just went up 2f and 2r. the stock tires blow so any higher and they drive like crap

Hey Boxed Up,

Do you mean the stock tires suck or will blow-out with the increased pressure?

Thx, Phil
ps My stock tires had 32psi (cold) in them and I increased them to 36psi (cold). Is this ok? Max was 44psi

paulj
04-22-2005, 02:58 AM
The stock tires may wear faster than most of us would like, but they will hold air just as well as any other tire. The max cold pressure noted on the tire takes into account the pressure change when warmed up. But for almost all cars the max cold pressure on tire is more than needed. The pressure that the manufacturer recommends (usually on the door jam sticker) takes into account the vehicle's weight along with the load capacity of the tire.

Here's a thread from some time ago that address the reasons why you should keep the tires at the levels that Honda recommends (32/34), and why some of us increase the pressure beyond that.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10075&highlight=pressure

To illustrate how vehicle weight affects recommended pressures, Toyota recommends 28/26 as pressures on the RAV4 (1st generation). These are the same size tires as on the Element, but the car is quite a bit lighter. It also has a different awd system. Since it is a lighter car, the tires don't need to be inflated as hard to maintain safe level of deformation and road contact.

If the tires are too soft, they will flex a lot as they rotate, and may heat up too much, leading to early failure. Soft tires also make for a soft ride, good for comfort, but bad for handling in some situations. Soft tires also put more wear on the outter edges of the tread.

If the tires are too hard, the ride will be harsh. They may also be damaged when hitting potholes or rocks. Hard tires also shift the wear toward the middle of the tread. The contact patch will be reduced in area, possibly reducing grip and braking distance. In general it is more dangerous to be too soft than to be too hard (within reasonable limits).

While you are worrying about tire pressures, be sure to check the pressure of your spare. Keeping it hard enough is important.

Unless you know what you are doing, stick with the pressures that Honda recommends, or slightly higher ones (2-4 psi higher). I would also suggest sticking with the 2 psi front/back difference; it seems make the handling more predictable.

paulj

boxed up
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
heyqkmpulse the tires wont blow up i just meant that there crap. 36psi is fine when hot theyll probably reach 40.