Rubbing On 20's [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Rubbing On 20's

BOXER
04-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I know I saw a thread that stated someone had 22's, lowered and no rubbing at all. Well I have a 1.7" eibach drop on 20's 245/40/20 and here are the first signs of rubbing.

Notice that one of my fasteners is missing and there is a composite thread forming from where the tire is hitting the wheel well.

I dont mind the rubbing because its minor but, if anyone is thinking of going biggger than 20's and lowering the E you WILL experience some rubbing.

boxed up
04-25-2005, 07:07 AM
what are the offset of the wheels? also did you install a rear camber kit when you lowered you e? if you did thats the problem. now you have positve camber if you didnt install one then get a kit and add negative camber so the wheels tilt in alittle clearing the edge.

ChrisD
04-25-2005, 03:13 PM
As Boxed Up stated do you have the right offset? You might have rims that have too much of an offset. With 20 inch rims you should have a 38 degree offset? >if I'm mistaken, please correct me<. With my 18's I have a 40 degree offset and ride on 245/50 R18's, this gives me a 751 rev per mile, 28.7 diameter tire with a width of 9.7 inches. Sort of close to the stock setup of 750 rev per mile, 27.8 diameter tire and a width of 8.5 inches. My speedo stays accurate enough and I have zero clearance problems. I've considered lowering the E but I have to think about the dirt roads I travel on upstate NY and already once I've bottomed the gas tank protection bar.
The thoughts I have are that your tires are not the problem, they are very close to stock size with the bigger rims, I believe the offset is wrong, but what would be easier? Replacing the stock springs or replacing the rims? You unfortunately cannot reduce offset but just increase it with spacers or a centering kit. Good luck, hope this info helps.

boxed up
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
just checking to see if boxer came back but the stock offset is 45 18's should be 40-42 and 20 should be 40 but 38 is probably a popular offset for other applications.

BOXER
04-26-2005, 02:34 AM
The offset is 45 on my katana wheels. I havent corrected the camber in the rear but if i do it will still rub. I like the 20's the way they are because they have a deep dish type look to them. I knew i was going to have some rubbing when i lowered it and put the wheels on.

They are not the wrong size, they are just as I wanted them to look. I love the way the E looks. All I was trying to say is that you cant go any bigger than 20's without some rubbing.

The ride would be better if I had some KYB's in the rear and the camber kit. Anyone know if KYB released their pricing yet?

hardguy
04-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Wow, sweet looking E! More pics please. You're right, those wheels look hot on your E. More pics!

ChrisD
04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Your tires are the right size but I think you just didn't get the right offset in the rim. Not to kick a guy when he's down but if you had less than 45, like a 40 as I have, you might not have the rubbing problem. Never the less that wheel and rim combo makes your E look awesome.

BOXER
04-27-2005, 02:04 AM
Your tires are the right size but I think you just didn't get the right offset in the rim. Not to kick a guy when he's down but if you had less than 45, like a 40 as I have, you might not have the rubbing problem. Never the less that wheel and rim combo makes your E look awesome.

I guess you dont understand that i knew they were going to rub when I bought the wheels. The guys at Perez Tires in La Puente CA and I mapped it out before we did anything to the vehicle. The E is doing what we expected but, again it still looks good.

I was just letting people know that if you go any bigger you will experience major rubbing. I have to find the post about 22's with no rubbing.

ChrisD
04-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Sorry Boxer, I understand. One question, if you didn't have the drop do you think they would rub at all?

BOXER
04-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Sorry Boxer, I understand. One question, if you didn't have the drop do you think they would rub at all?

They wouldnt at all.

DanzE
04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Have 20's and SPC camber kit w/Toyo 35's and have no rubbing. Was going to 40's or 45's buy shop said may rub, also lowered w/Eibacs.

BOXER
04-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Have 20's and SPC camber kit w/Toyo 35's and have no rubbing. Was going to 40's or 45's buy shop said may rub, also lowered w/Eibacs.

Your right but, as much driving as I do, I cant afford to do 35's. I want as much protection as possible for the wheels. I just bought my ride in feb and have over 9000 miles on it. Tires are not showing any wear iether.

Post some pics of your ride.

bc is me
04-29-2005, 12:34 AM
That rubbing will stop after a few good sized bumps. I too have 20's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Engall's control arms, and 245/40/20 tires. The tires just kind of shave off the little bit that's in the way. I just like to think of it as an easy way to reduce weight.

BOXER
04-29-2005, 12:44 AM
That rubbing will stop after a few good sized bumps. I too have 20's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Engall's control arms, and 245/40/20 tires. The tires just kind of shave off the little bit that's in the way. I just like to think of it as an easy way to reduce weight.

Good way to put it. Who needs fasteners anyway?

05BlackOnBlack
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Very clean BC. Like the grille.

emt4diving
05-03-2005, 04:51 PM
ok I got a little confused between all the replies, I want to put on 20" boss 310 model or 318 model wheels with 245/40/20" tires , no lowering kit or any suspension modifications as of now. Will this rub and what it the offset that everyone is recommending and how does that effect the rim placement.

Baby RV
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
OK, I have Velocity rims with +35 offset and NO lowering. There is absolutely NO rubbing on my E with those specs. Mine look almost like BOXER's except his has really cool grilles :-x Anyway, is it just me or is it because I'm riding with 20's that is why my MPG dropped from 23 to 18 mpg?

bc is me
05-03-2005, 05:06 PM
You should not have any problems if you're not lowering it. Mine rubbed SLIGHTLY in the rear, but only on pretty big bumps. I used Springtech springs to lower it originally but it rode like crap. I changed to the Eibach Pro-kit and had zero rubbing problems.
The offset on most front wheel drive wheels is 38-45. Mine are 42 and sit even with edge of the fender.

Damien8086
05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
OK, I have Velocity rims with +35 offset and NO lowering. There is absolutely NO rubbing on my E with those specs. Mine look almost like BOXER's except his has really cool grilles :-x Anyway, is it just me or is it because I'm riding with 20's that is why my MPG dropped from 23 to 18 mpg?

The 20" tires and wheels weigh a good deal more then the 16" stock set up so of course your mileage is going to take a hit.

ChrisD
05-05-2005, 01:47 AM
ok I got a little confused between all the replies, I want to put on 20" boss 310 model or 318 model wheels with 245/40/20" tires , no lowering kit or any suspension modifications as of now. Will this rub and what it the offset that everyone is recommending and how does that effect the rim placement.

With that tire size you'll be almost equal to the stock diameter but have a tire that is 1.1 inch wider, this will definetly be a close to perfect fit. Go for it !! :)

ChrisD
05-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Any experience with Kumho or Nitto tires? I'm torn between the two and can get a good deal on the new Nitto NT-420S as well as another really good deal on the Kumho ECSTA ST. I need great wet and dry traction but no need for mud and snow, got seperate rims/tires for that season. Does anyone have these tires and what experience do you have with them in terms of wear and handling? :confused:

BOXER
05-05-2005, 02:07 AM
The 20" tires and wheels weigh a good deal more then the 16" stock set up so of course your mileage is going to take a hit.

I get 23/24 Miles per gallon on my E. The wheel diameter is almost the same as stock, its just a little wider so it has a bit more contact surface. There shouldnt be a change that drastic in mileage if any.

If there was such a drastic change in mileage I minus well go back to driving my chevy truck.

BOXER
05-05-2005, 02:09 AM
You should not have any problems if you're not lowering it. Mine rubbed SLIGHTLY in the rear, but only on pretty big bumps. I used Springtech springs to lower it originally but it rode like crap. I changed to the Eibach Pro-kit and had zero rubbing problems.
The offset on most front wheel drive wheels is 38-45. Mine are 42 and sit even with edge of the fender.

No rubbing at all? not even just a little bit?

Damien8086
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I just added the Eibach springs and 245x40x20 tires and mine are rubbing a little when I hit bumps. The rubbing seems to be minimal though.

ProphetX
05-14-2005, 04:38 PM
has anyone tried eibach springs, 245/45/20 and a 45 offset?

If anyone has what are the results any rubbing? or bad gas mileage.

My plan is to get 20's and eibach kit and the thickest tire possible because i wasnt to get rid of the gap as much as possible.

Also what would be the thickest tire i could get with 22" and eibach kit.

TIA

BOXER
05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
has anyone tried eibach springs, 245/45/20 and a 45 offset?

If anyone has what are the results any rubbing? or bad gas mileage.

My plan is to get 20's and eibach kit and the thickest tire possible because i wasnt to get rid of the gap as much as possible.

Also what would be the thickest tire i could get with 22" and eibach kit.

TIA

thats the set up i have. slight rubbing, gas mileage virtually the same. I get an average of 310 miles per tank.

As far as 22"s I believe you will have to get 30 series tires. all wheel, no tire with a drop 1.7 drop, you will rub. I would suggest if you are going to do 22"s, dont drop it. it they will probably fill your wheel well with 40 series tires. and your ride will not be as rough. If you do drop it, only switch out the springs and use the dampners and doent remove any extra's. in order to keep your ride from going too low. Nippo and darkcrow removed all the dampning stuff and got a little more of a dropp on eibachs, you might want to ask them how their ride is.

ProphetX
05-15-2005, 03:55 PM
thats the set up i have. slight rubbing, gas mileage virtually the same. I get an average of 310 miles per tank.

As far as 22"s I believe you will have to get 30 series tires. all wheel, no tire with a drop 1.7 drop, you will rub. I would suggest if you are going to do 22"s, dont drop it. it they will probably fill your wheel well with 40 series tires. and your ride will not be as rough. If you do drop it, only switch out the springs and use the dampners and doent remove any extra's. in order to keep your ride from going too low. Nippo and darkcrow removed all the dampning stuff and got a little more of a dropp on eibachs, you might want to ask them how their ride is.

Thanks i've decided on 20's with a 245/40/20 and eibach springs. What offset should i get on the rims, do i need a camber kit?

BOXER
05-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks i've decided on 20's with a 245/40/20 and eibach springs. What offset should i get on the rims, do i need a camber kit?

it all depends. I have 10k on my ventus 104's and have not had any problems with tire wear. I dont have a camber kit installed. I like the way the E looks from behind. it looks as if it is sqatting and riding lower than it its. i figure for 5 bills i could get myself a new set of tires. I think that if i correct the camber on the wheels, i might even have more rubbing. If you look at a stock E from behind, they are cambered.

Elenore1
07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
I see alot of you have pictures of your rims i was wondering where you got 20s when ever I go websites and enter the El as my car it only goes up to 19s so if you guys could post a website it would be greatly apreated

Jim

BOXER
07-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I went into a custom wheelshop and had them come up with a wheel tire combo. I think thats what you should do before anything.

At the shop I went to they had a computer program that had an E and other cars on it that you could put diffrent wheels on to see how they would look. It actuall allowed you to lower your car, change its color and select the wheels and tires that fit your car by manufacturer.

DanzE
07-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I put in 20's, use Eibac springs, use Toyo 40's and put in a SPC camber kit & have no rubbing. But then again my gap is a bit larger than what I want, around 1.5 to 2 inches right now. May try to drop it more or will go w/45's when my 40's wear out.

BOXER
07-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I have the same gap if you notice on the pics, but when the springs compress hard both rear wheels occasionally rub on the fender. Its not constant rubbing. Give it time and you will see what I mean. Hopefully you are lucky and it will not experience it.

I dont mind the rubbing myself. Its minor.

jack e
07-29-2005, 05:27 PM
ok..so if i put 20's on my stock E do i have to do anything with the camber or is that only if i lower it?

Box4Rox
07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Only if you lower it . . .

jack e
07-29-2005, 05:37 PM
cool. thanks!

ChrisD
07-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Only if you lower it there is a possibility of needing a camber kit.

My E does hit the fender but I have to really drive into a hole to get it there. I already lost one plastic fastener driving over a sink hole, it was a little less than a foot deep but I managed to turn to drive over it but my back tire fell in. I heard a two second rub noise and thats it. Got home and toke a flashlight out to see what exactly happened, slight wear marks on fender and nothing on the tire. :|

axelay2003
05-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Boxer, Do you have a picture of your E with the 245/45/20? I would like to see the proportion of the tire thickness to the wheel size.

nacranym
05-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Boxer, Do you have a picture of your E with the 245/45/20? I would like to see the proportion of the tire thickness to the wheel size.

hope you realize that you're posting in a 4 year old thread and asking a question to someone who hasn't posted in over 2 years.

but, hey, maybe you feel lucky?

<grin>

oh, and welcome to the forum!

BigTzElement
05-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Here is my E on 20s.

255/40/20 is my tire size.

axelay2003
07-26-2009, 01:46 PM
hope you realize that you're posting in a 4 year old thread and asking a question to someone who hasn't posted in over 2 years.

but, hey, maybe you feel lucky?

<grin>

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Hi nacranym, I thought it would be a long shot, but you never know.

Anyways, I have been following this thread for quite some time now(at least three years) and have researched wheels, tires, (total circumference/diameter and effects on MPG and speed), offsets, etc. I finally jumped in after over two years of deciding on this combo. I am extremely happy with the result. Since I opted for 245/45-20R tires, the wheel well is esthetically "filled in" without dropping the Element, but the "Actual Vehicle Speed" is 1.939 higher(i.e. 65mph = 66.939mph) and the ground clearance of the vehicle will change(increase) by 0.415 inches. Of course, the weight has increased significantly and am anticipating decrease in MPG. I am in the process of calculating that. I recently had these wheels/tires mounted at my local honda dealer(07-25-2009) and all staff members were impressed. I have no rubbing issues yet, but I think it is too premature to tell. What do you guys think?