aftermarket cd reciever [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: aftermarket cd reciever

burr1t0
04-23-2003, 09:25 AM
hey guys i'm trying to install my new clarion deck into my E. but when i hook it up no sound comes out when i put a cd in the clarion. i thought there was something wrong with the deck so i brought it back. they tested it and nothing seems to be wrong with the clarion at all. i have an EX Element do i have to by pass the factory amp just to install an aftermarket receiver? i thought i can just hook up the wire harness to the deck that that should work fine.

help a brotha out!!!

thanks

darrenf
04-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Yes, I think you do need to bypass the amp. Alternatively, make sure that the outputs are not amplified. I ordered a head unit and speakers from Crutchfield's for a Ford Explorer and they sent the bypass cable along for free. Perhaps they have one for the E now.

While on the topic, has anyone found where the tweeter wires split split off of the front mains? I gave up and ran new wire to my crossovers.

-d

burr1t0
04-23-2003, 07:37 PM
thanks . i asked the guy at a local stereo installation shop and he told me that yeah i would have to bypass the factory amp. so now i'm gonna run new wires from the speakers to the aftermarket deck. i don't think there's a by pass cable for the element. car toys wanted 80 bucks just to run wires from the speakers to my deck. i can do that myself for only 10 worth of parts.

darrenf
04-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Re-running all of the wires might take some time. If you pull the large connector out of the bottom of the amp, you can use this color guide to pick up the speaker wires from there, which should save a lot of fishing. You are interested in the three pairs of wires on the right and the pair of wires top center.

LF Door: Green (-) Blk/Green (+)
LR Door: Blue/Blk (-) Blue/White (+)
RF Door: Blue/Yellow (-) Green/Yellow (-)
RR Door: Pink (+/-?) Blue/Yellow (+/-?)

You should be able to figure out the polarity on the RR door by looking at the two adjacent pairs of wires. Failing that, you can always pull the speaker to take a look-see.

I re-ran wire to my tweeters because I needed to home-run them to a crossover, but if you have tweets with built-in crossover, you shouldn't have to do anything. I get the impression that the tweeter wires are split right off of the LF/RF Door wires.

Good luck!

-d

burr1t0
04-23-2003, 09:51 PM
hey thanks a lot for the color code d.. yeah i wasn't about to run wires directly from the speakers but from where the factory amp was. man if i ran it from the speakers it would take hours. hahaha. i just got my installation kit from installers.com today. got to say its a perfect match. i talked to the guy there and he say that he got a sh!t load of em if you guys are interested. peace.

eMass
04-24-2003, 07:23 AM
First of all - You do NOT have to bypass the amp - you do however need to hook up the remote turn on lead properly so that the amp will be turned on by the head unit.

If your head unit has rca pre-outs you'll need to get a line level converter to connect the fron & rear speakers to the line level connections on the amp. You should be able to use subwoofer rca's from your head unit since the sub in the E has rca out for the sub only.

Lastly, if you have a digital camera I'd love to see a couple of pictures of that Metra install kit that you bought from installer.com - both ready to install and what it looked like after if you could.

If you need a place to host the pictures i'd be glad to.

eMass
04-24-2003, 07:27 AM
[quote:e0cc005151="darrenf"]While on the topic, has anyone found where the tweeter wires split split off of the front mains? I gave up and ran new wire to my crossovers.[/quote:e0cc005151]

The tweeters are run directly from the front door speakers.
This is why there are 4 wires at the front door speakers instead of 2.

IMHO - the factory wiring is too small a gauge to deliver good juice to begin with so I ran new 14 gauge to everything.