Tire Wear [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Tire Wear

Cidriullo
05-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I have an '04 Element EX with 22,000 miles and the original tires. The tires aren't done yet, but they're pretty close. I've been rotating them, I keep the right air pressure, but it looks like they have a lot more than 22 K on them. I've gotten more out of tires on my other cars. I don't like the way they've worn, anyone with the same problem?

DOGBOX
05-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I have an '04 Element EX with 22,000 miles and the original tires. The tires aren't done yet, but they're pretty close. I've been rotating them, I keep the right air pressure, but it looks like they have a lot more than 22 K on them. I've gotten more out of tires on my other cars. I don't like the way they've worn, anyone with the same problem?

I think this has been discussed and a number of folks do have the problem. I recently had my tires rotated and the alignment checked at 8500 miles due to unusual tire wear. We'll see if anything improves. I don't like the way the alignment feels now that it has been "corrected", but I have been driving in high wind with a very full load, so I need to drive under more normal conditions before I can make a decision as to whether it needs further adjustments.

Andrew1007
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Direct and to the point, the Good year HP tires just plain suck-period!. Shame on Honda for putting these tires on the Element. They should know better. Especially when the tire has no tread warranty. MY Element is at 21,000 miles and is down to 3/32nd's. I have rotated them every 5,000 miles. I'll be lucky if they make it to 25,000 miles.

My Ford Escape is going on 59,000 miles and still have the original Michelin LTX tires. Will probably go another 10,000 miles before needing to be replaced.

paulj
05-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Now you have the chance to buy tires that suit you - better handling, better traction, better wear, lower profile, wider, etc. There is a long sticky thread under the 'performance' section on tires, plus lots of threads on what fits with larger diameter wheels.

As noted, the stock tires don't have a tread warranty. The wear rating is also on the low side, something like 340, v. 500 or more on long wearing ones. This Goodyear model has been around for a long time.

Many CRV and Pilot owners have a poor opinion of their stock tires. The CRV Bridgestones have a wear rating of something like 180. The Pilot stock is GY Integrity - with a better wear rating and maybe even a warranty, but with a lackluster tread pattern - more of a van tire than an SUV one.

paulj

BOXER
05-08-2005, 12:38 AM
On what part of the tire is most of the wear?

Nat
05-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I have 44,000 miles on the OEM Goodyears. My tread will pass any inspection. Maybe because I have AWD, some tread has probably been saved because my tires don't spin on take-off's. The Goodyears just bite and the E goes. At 50,000 I'm going to replace them with the Goodyear Fortera. It almost seems like I'm in an alternative universe when it comes to the OEM Goodyear tire wear. And I drive fast with about 75% highway driving. Here in Jersey if you don't drive fast they run you off the road.

paulj
05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Nat,
Are you using recommended pressures, 32/34?

Because of the tread pattern, the Wranglers can look balder than they really are. The shoulders have shallow grooves. When these dissappear, the tires look more worn than they really are (at least compared to the wear bars). The wide solid shoulders should contribute to dry traction, but they may limit water evacuation.

paulj

Nat
05-08-2005, 11:57 AM
PaulJ:

My tire pressure runs higher. I have it running at 36/37 PSI hot. Granted the shoulders/edge of the tire looks more worn. THats what got me complaining in the first 10,000 miles. The wear did stop and the tires still do a decent job in the rain without slipping (even in sharp turns). If these tires showed any decrease in performance, I'll replace them immediatly

Peace from an alternative universe

vegasbaby
05-17-2005, 11:21 PM
36000 to the day is all I got on mine. Now I got Toyo Open Country's much nicer ride. Hopefully the tread will hold.

Cidriullo
06-01-2005, 09:24 AM
changed the tires at 23 K. The sides were very worn, and the white stripe tread indicator was showing on all four tires (some more than others). Put on a set of 4 falkens, hopefully they'll do better than the Goodyears.

Paulyd1966
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The E's tires suck get rid of them ASAP. Check out the Yokohoma Geolanders.

rootyblue
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
4400 is all my goodyears got Pulled them off! they were very noisy. Alot of pinging when I would hit a bump I since have replaced them with Mich. pilot's add a couple inches to 18's and Im big time happy.
The thing HONDA needs to get is add acouple inches the tires dont fill in the big wheel well anyhoo...

chimphappyhour
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
I notice mine wearing on the outside edges, sounds like this is the "norm"? There is a white bar that will show as the wear indicator if I read that correct?

biocube
06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
yes, the outside portion wears faster (the grooves aren't very deep here), but check out the depth of the center three grooves for a better estimate of wear.

i'm approaching 30k miles, and still have about 9/32nds of an inch left in the center grooves

DOGBOX
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
yes, the outside portion wears faster (the grooves aren't very deep here), but check out the depth of the center three grooves for a better estimate of wear.

i'm approaching 30k miles, and still have about 9/32nds of an inch left in the center grooves

Outer grooves are critical for rainy weather driving. Once those are gone (and at 11,000 miles, mine are quite worn), the tires are not suitable IMHO.

biocube
06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
i thought you guys were having a drought???

trickyvick
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Here are two of mine at 13k....I have 22k on them now and will be rotating again soon...will take more pictures then.

G

dblair
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Tire pyrometers are used by autocrossers and other race drivers to help determine the optimum tire pressure and suspension settings. Regarding tire pressure you take a reading in the middle and at the outer edges. If the middle is running significantly hotter you have too much air. If the outer edges are hotter you have too little.

I have a pyrometer and have been planning to use it on my E. Stock tires and 11,000 miles. Anyone interested in the results?

Genom
06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I have a pyrometer and have been planning to use it on my E. Stock tires and 11,000 miles. Anyone interested in the results?

Yes, scientific data is welcome and is something I'd rather read than "well I have X pounds of air in my tires and with my calibrated a$$ I can determine through the driver's seat that the tires perform and wear yadda yadda yadda..."

I'll admit I've done my fair share of guesstimating...but I'd rather see raw data if someone is willing to take the time to do the research and testing.

The last I used a pyrometer was on my VW dune buggy to see how the cylinders were running by getting exhaust temps off each header pipe.

dblair
06-09-2005, 06:28 PM
OK Genom I guess that's enough motivation to get me off my un-calibrated
a$$ and do this as I've been meaning to for quite some time. I'll plan to post the results in the "Under Hood" section, hopefully sometime next week.

chimphappyhour
06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh, yes! We like seeing that kind of thing here, but I suspect you already knew that judging by the section you decided to post the results under. ;-)

dblair
06-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Got me! I'm guilty.

Cidriullo
06-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Put on Falken S/TZ 04 tires, have about 1,000 miles on them. Ride is rougher, but handles much better. So far, so good, hope they last.

SurfsUpChuck
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
I ditched the Goodyear HP's at mile 180 and put on Michelin LTX M/S (P225/70R-16) and it handles nice. I have the same tires on a full size 1994 bronco for a couple years now and have been pretty happy. I drive twisty/curvey roads up in Santa Cruz mountains, bay area freeways and roads up into the Sierra or down Big Sur way. I have a wheel set on my mtn bike that ran me about 1K$ and for the most part I'm dodging stationary rocks, roots and 1,500 year old redwood trees. The thought of $500 for some good tires to compete with 18 wheelers +/- 2 to 3 feet away doing 60+ mph was a no brainer. The car was way too squirrely on the goodyears. I bagged em. EOC had me wondering before I bought, and by day 6 I was at the tire store.

civicway
06-22-2005, 09:08 PM
30,000 and still a lot of tread wear left to use on the original Goodyears

ElementHunt
06-22-2005, 09:34 PM
My stock tires at 5k are showing wear on the fronts. Honda told me to drive to next oil change and see if they 'even out' for wear. :roll: tire pressure checked out ok and drives straight (unlike the driver).. time will tell..

yoda13
06-22-2005, 10:26 PM
13000 miles on the stock goodyears at this point. So far they are wearing quite well, but thanks to all I have heard here over the last several months I have been a member, I am keeping a close eye on them.