Elements and dog crates [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Elements and dog crates

SoloRiver
06-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I just got a 2005 Element EX, Sunset Orange Pearl, and I love it already. I've named it "Animal."

Anyway, I'm new here, and glad to see there is already a forum for pet owners since the Element is an obvious choice for us. I have two Border Collies and a Papillon. The main reason I got an Element was to have a dogmobile I could crate out of at sheepdog and agility trials. I attached a pic of my new pride and joy complete with canine spokesmodels.

I was wondering if those of you who also use dog crates in the back of your Elements would mind sharing how you have them set up. I'd like to leave my back seats in (since I don't really have storage space for them to be out). My Border Collies are approx. 50 and 38 pounds respectively, and are used to being in 36" crates although they can go down to about 30". I currently have two 36" Midwest wire crates but they don't fit well if I leave the seats in (one facing the back, one sideways behind the front seats). I think I'll need to replace one 36" with a smaller 32" or 30" and can't decide if I want a wire or plastic crate. (The Papillon's crate is of negligible size and doesn't really figure into the calculations.)

I am sure there are folks out there with smarter arrangements than I've tried so far!

I have also wondered if (a) it would be possible to get vehicle barriers and/or an X-pen and make the entire back into a large dog crate (I want something that will keep them contained even if all or most of the doors are open for ventilation) or (b) it would be a smart idea to get one huge crate to put right smack in the back.

For everyday rolling around the dogs can ride loose in the back or on the back seat, but at trials I need to be able to park the car in shade, open doors for ventilation, and leave the dogs in it for periods of time.

I'm terribly sorry if this has been well covered already -- I could not find anything in the more recent threads and my connection is slow enough to make extensive archive searching pretty miserable.

Thanks!

Boxy05
06-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Leave the seats in but fold them up like they're made to do. Just an idea.

FlightNurse
06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Well regarding dogs, I haven't gotten my E yet, but I have read a post from a dog owner regarding how undog friendly the E is. His problem was that his dog would slide around the bad of his E, he fixed it by putting a dog pillow in the back and his dog lays on it.

But I think dogs like humans like to see where they are going.... I would lay the back seats down flat and see how they handle that, also its somthing new for them to get use to..

Tony

Hondamade4dogs
06-11-2005, 09:46 AM
If you look here http://www.kustomkrates.com/index.html you can have some good ideas on what you can do for your Element.

blackdog1
06-11-2005, 10:03 AM
If you look here http://www.kustomkrates.com/index.html you can have some good ideas on what you can do for your Element.

That is really neat. Do you have your back seats in?

Hondamade4dogs
06-11-2005, 07:52 PM
No I don't use those metal cages, but we do have three crates that we use to haul the dogs. Sometimes she just rides shotgun... :-o

Chin
06-12-2005, 06:58 PM
BigRig, what brand and model of barrier are you using? Price? It seems to fit just right; nice job. Can the Weim get into the back using the passenger door without having to move the barrier?

SoloRiver
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Very handsome dogs! Thanks for the tips.

I thought about putting one tubular barrier behind the front seats, and one in back, but the little dog (seven pounds) would have no problem getting out.

Whatever solution I use has to allow me to open all the doors (or at least some doors) for ventilation. My dogs and I go to all-day events (agility trials, sheepdog trials) so what we usually do is find a nice tree and park under it. I used to have to set up a tent to crate under because I drove a miniscule sports car (Acura Integra). Having a vehicle I can actually crate directly out of is a great luxury for me!

Thanks again!

DOGBOX
06-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Don't know about all the other E's out there....but MY E is most definitely dog-friendly. Here's some pics---out hunting with the dogs.

Box4Rox
06-13-2005, 12:28 AM
We just picked up this little guy Friday in Arizona from the breeder :) His "crate" is pretty dinky right now but the way he is eating I'll be looking for something bigger soon enough . . . so this thread is really handy. I really like BIGRIG's barrier and the Murdock Mat is working out nice as well.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/box4rox/Dogs/CourtandObi.jpg

blackdog1
06-13-2005, 10:11 AM
We just picked up this little guy Friday in Arizona from the breeder :) His "crate" is pretty dinky right now but the way he is eating I'll be looking for something bigger soon enough . . . so this thread is really handy. I really like BIGRIG's barrier and the Murdock Mat is working out nice as well.
That is one cute puppy, we have two of those at home but they are fully grown girls.

Box4Rox
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks BlackDog1 -

We're really happy to have him aboard; I'm sure we share the same affection for the good 'ol Lab's !! We didn't end up with a NBP Element but I'm happy with our NBP Lab . . . :)

hiker chick
07-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Gidget (white one, the Samoyed) and her buddy Raven (Belgian) are poster pups for pet barriers. I now use a net to keep Gidget back.

Box4Rox
07-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Gidget (white one, the Samoyed) and her buddy Raven (Belgian) are poster pups for pet barriers. I now use a net to keep Gidget back.Ok . . . you're freaking me out with this one :) If you're driving (in the left lane !) and your passenger is shotgun and the (rather big) pups are wedged every-which-way . . . who is taking the photo :confused: That's a lot of face whacking dog tail to deal with !! :grin:

hiker chick
07-08-2005, 06:43 AM
The photographer was Raven's owner, sitting in the one back seat that I'd left in.

This picture was taken shortly before she dumped her coffee. Errant tail, as I recall.:)

It was the first test of the waterproof seat fabric. No problem. We were in route to Great Falls, N.P. in northern Virginia. A wonderful place and not far from DC. The river is still raw up there and it's not all sewage.

Box4Rox
07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
. . . sitting in the one back seat that I'd left in . . . I should have known . . . I'm never going to get use to the 3 seats in/1 seat out config. I think I'm too symmetrical or something. If Honda ever finds out, they'll probably come take my E away :)
Once again, great photo's !!

piedmontsilverbox
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Well, to Solo's question, I'm not sure about how to fit crates with seats in the E.

I just bought an E to replace my old dog car (Volvo wagon). The big selling point to me was setting up a 400 and a 300 crate side by side, with both seats out. And, there is no blocking of windows by the crates! That leaves flexibilty about where I put the crates (how far from the tailgate) and leaves plenty of stuff room for us.

BTW, I have a Weimaraner (60 lbs) and a Pointer (now a puppy, but eventually around 40 lbs).

AmandaDi
07-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Love all the pics!! It is a dog friendly vehicle for sure!

Honu
08-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Dante's crate fits perfectly in the Element. We don't even have to give up any passenger capacity. It is Dante's favorite car for cruising in since he gets to see us while in his crate.
Of course its pretty easy to fit in a 7.5 pound chihuahua.

TJ's Toy
08-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Honu,

Dante is absolutely adorable! Your lucky......I have to put the seats up to take my Malamute a ride! We made a visit to the vet last week and he ways 138lbs.! .....

TJ

bsdowner
11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
A friend of mine with two Belgian Sheepdogs and a Border Collie mix, built a platform for two crates in the back of the E. The seats are removed. She has room for a 3rd crate in the back behind the platform and front seats.

blackdog1
11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
A friend of mine with two Belgian Sheepdogs and a Border Collie mix, built a platform for two crates in the back of the E. The seats are removed. She has room for a 3rd crate in the back behind the platform and front seats.

Does she happen to have urban search and rescue dogs by any chance?

bsdowner
11-17-2005, 03:36 PM
my friend with the 3 dogs is a trainer near Allentown, PA - she is not in search and rescue (that I know of)