Where on earth did you get your Yokohamas? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Where on earth did you get your Yokohamas?

Arnie
06-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi everybody!
Well, I've been researching my tire decision quite extensively- I think I've read just about every thread on tires there is! I'm still undecided, but I would really like to go for the Yokohama Geolanders in the normal 215/70/16 size.
The only problem is- I can't really find them anywhere!
Discount Tire has them for about $482 installed, balanced, etc.
But doesn't that seem like a lot?
The tires are only $74 on TireRack, and I've thought about buying them there as others have done and having them installed- but then I lose the prorated guarantee and the lifetime balancing like Discount provides.
Other options I've looked into are Costco- which has killer deals, but not very good tires; or Sears which has its own brands without much info around on them.
Discount Direct has a deal on the Yokos- $76 a tire plus FREE SHIPPING- though again, I'd lose the prorated replacement and free rotations service.
Any thoughts on what I should do? Has anybody had a local tire shop install Yokos and offer free rotations and prorated replacement for under $480?
Thanks so much, sorry if my message is long- I'm just trying to wrap my head around all the deals and not-so-good-deals out there!

Chin
06-12-2005, 06:42 PM
You'll just have to face it...you can't have the Discount Tire lifetime stuff without paying for the extras. If you want the cheapest way to go, get them online at the cheapest price you can find, mounted and balanced locally, and the $$$$$ you save should make up for any problems you might encounter in the future. Although it might involve a lot of trouble, any manufacturer's warranty problems can still be handled by shipping them back to the online dealer, or even to a local shop that carries that brand. What do you think happens if you have tire problems (on vacation, for example) thousands of miles from your tire dealer? Personally, the local Discount Tire dealer has always fixed flats for free, even on tires not purchased from them, and they easily took care of a warranty problem I had with a Michelin tire. It just depends on how much you value service.

WartHog
06-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Brought to you by the miracle of Google!

http://www.yokohamatire.com/

In the upper-left corner, go to "Find a dealer" just below the word "Yokohama"

Arnie
06-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I actually called most all of the places in my area, but they don't seem to carry the specific tire I'm looking for- maybe I'll check back with them and see if they can order them in specially and give me a quote, but I know Fakler said they couldn't.
I was mainly just curious to see if Discount is a good deal, because when the tires not that available at other places its harder to know for sure, so I wanted to see what others were paying possibly if they were able to get them at their local tire stores. I'm not saying Discount's not a good deal or it's not worth the 480 or anything... I just don't know what other's were paying.
Thanks for your help
Arnie.
Edit- I just realized a much better title for this thread may have been "what did you pay for your Yokohamas?" and then where did you get them. :)

campywilly
06-12-2005, 11:43 PM
i got mine through my local America's Tire Co. i think they're related to Discount Tires. i paid like 499 installed, certificates, etc. i thought that was a good deal. i mean, yeah some online places will sell the tires for like 75 each, but that doesn't cover shipping, mounting, balancing, certificates, valve stems, taxes, nor disposal of the old tires. add everything up and it'd be about the same, i'd say. if you're hard up for the Geolanders and you need new tires, just bite down hard and do it. the OEM tires will cost probably at least as much or more anyway. :\

will

Arnie
06-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah that's what I've been thinking. Thanks for your reply.
Despite all my indecisiveness I do know one thing- I won't be getting the OEM tires again!

gticl
06-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I think the price is pretty negotiable.
I got my Geolander G051 for $90 each including labor and balancing.

By the way, I am in Socal. if you are in Socal and need tires, here's where you can get cheap tires. (I don't own this shop and I don't make money out of it. )

Temple City Auto Repair
9237 Lower Azusa Rd., Unit N
Temple City, CA91780

Look for Henry. (Tell him that you know Austin who drives an Element)

UNoULikeIt
06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
If you have a Sears around you I would check them out. Take a look at what they have in-store and do your own research on them. I had a set of Falken Ziex on a previously owned vehicle. I really liked them. Couldn't get a Neon stuck in 6-8" of snow. Granted it was a totally different vehicle.

You may want to search this site too. I think there someone mentioned they had Falkens on there E. They get decent ratings and Sears overs lifetime balancing and rotation. At least they did when I bought that set. I was actually looking at the ZE-512 (I believe the other set were the ZE-502's)

jays0n
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I just got a quote for $407 mounted with a front end alignment from Town Fair Tire in NH and they had them in stock, not sure if you have that company out your way. My stockers are on the wear bars at 41k, I guess rotating every 5k pays off in the end :)

Arnie
06-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Man! That is an amazing price!
Well, I ended up going to Discount yesterday, and had it all done. I called ahead to verify they had the Geolanders in stock, and they said they did.
Well- when I got there and dropped my car off, I walked to chili's to get some lunch and when I came back- Beefy tires!
I was like whoa! The guy came out and said they didn't have 4 of the 215s in stock (only 2), so they went ahead and put 225s on for the same price!
He said that they would change them if I wanted them to. They were very friendly and helpful.
The tires are EXTREMELY quiet- I really like them, BUT- they feel kind of "lumpy" giving it a slightly bumpy ride. I'll drive around for a little bit to see if they fix themselves- but maybe the tires aren't round like some say is a problem with this tire?
Discount was very cool, and they said they'd feel happy to change them so if this continues to be an issue I might do that.
The 225's are agressive looking and as I said earlier, "beefy" in appearance. The looks are growing on me, because honestly I thought it looked a little weird at first.
Anyway, thanks everybody for your advice! It is helpful not only to me, but anyone who will read this topic
Arnie.

dia
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi

Again I am doing research before I get my E, espically on tires because here in SE Alaska we have driving conditions that range from usually wet to ice to slush to any kind of snow imaginable. I called my local Les Schuab and they agreeed that the stock tires are not suitable for here and suggested the following:

Winter Cat SST

Bridgestone Blizzack

Michlein Alpine

I do want to get larger than stock tires.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated. I lived in bush Alaska for years with not vehicle so I don't really know or understand tires. Just that I want ones that will work in this climate. And I want to get them installed when I pick up the E

Arnie
06-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey-
TireRack.com was very helpful for me. It may not contain info on Les Schwabb type tires though- I think they usually sell their own stuff- but I don't know for sure.
On TireRack I looked up reviews in the category I was interested. I looked at top rated tires in the Highway All-season category. You could probably do a search for Snow Tires or tougher off-road type tires and see what that brings up.
Arnie.

Arnie
06-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Here are some pictures of my new 225 Yokos!
I like the look a lot...

campywilly
06-16-2005, 09:24 AM
sweet! now go get 'em dirty like i did!