Had a flat w/stock, Considering new tires Michelin P235 70 R16 [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Had a flat w/stock, Considering new tires Michelin P235 70 R16

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Had a flat today with my oem stock tires, Been doing a bit of reading on the forums here and will head to costco for replacement tires tomorrow. What do you guys think of MichelinCross Terrain P235/70R16 tires? Any other alternatives you guys had a good experience with?

Thanks

Ranger
06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
I hear they are very good tires.

I just had Costco put on a set of 215/70 R16 Bridgestone Duelers.
I caught a 2 inch screw in the right front bald stock Goodyear.
(After only 10,000 miles I might add.)

More than likely, you're going to run into a problem getting Costco to install the larger size.
My local store said that it is their corporate policy not to install anything that is not in the computer as being the stock size.

Though here's a secret my installer told me.
They have been known to let you borrow a floor jack and they will mount the larger tires on the wheels while you pull each off in the parking lot and reinstall them on the vehicle yourself.
If I remember correctly, they will honor the road hazard warrantee, but it voids the mileage warrantee because Costco did not technically install the new tires on the vehicle.
It also technically relieves them of any resposibility if the larger tire does not fit properly or causes damage.

The installer told me that it has to be approved by the manager but apparently his manager allows it on a fairly regular basis if someone is adamant about going to the larger size.

Kinda ticked me off that he told me this after I got the smaller size,
but so far I am happy with them.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I don't get the part where you install them yourself? Sorry..

Ranger
06-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Basically, you would have to jack up the E in the parking lot, remove one wheel and roll it over to them.
They would take it, remove the old tire and mount the larger tire and give it
back to you.
You would roll it back to your E in the parking lot and reinstall that wheel and move onto the next.
Jack up that one and remove the second wheel.
They take it, remove the old tire and mount the new larger tire and give the wheel back to you in the parking lot.
And so on.

The basic gest I got was that they do not want to deal with the hassles of people wanting to "try" new sizes on their vehicle that do not fit properly.
It can cause damage to the vehicle and, in some cases, be dangerous.
Plus people try to blame the installer and return the tires like a shirt that is too big. :roll:

So, if you're technically the one who is installing the new larger tires onto the vehicle, you are responsible for any problems, not them.
All they did was install the new tires on the wheels you brought in.
Hence, no responsibility on their part beyond the wheel.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Costco wants $139 each excluding tax and tire disposal fee. Discount not applied yet. I think I'm going to stick to the same size tires or just replace the single bad tire. I don't feel like spotting $500 for Tires and having to install it myself.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks again for the info and advice

brotherc20
06-16-2005, 08:18 PM
this is what i have on my E. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%2FT-S+G051&partnum=17SR6GEOHTSOWL I have almost 20,000 miles on them and can't complain. Great traction all the time. Good tread wear.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Question: I looked at the price $74. Nice! Which size ones do you have? I'm not a tire expert

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Nevermind..just saw the corrected link with the size info.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Ok I'm going to order later or tomorrow the:

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 (Highway All-Season)
Size: 215/70SR16
Outlined White Letters
SR Speed Rated
Price: $74 each
Estimated Availability:
In Stock

I am assuming since they ship from Reno, Nevada to CA it's $39 for shipping, no sales tax and at $74 a piece cheaper than costco. I'll need to find someone to install it.

brotherc20
06-16-2005, 08:35 PM
i put the 215/70SR16 size on. Another tip if you ever get tires from tirerack. You can avoid the shipping charge if you find a tire shop that will order them for you.

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 09:06 PM
But if a local install shop ordered, sales tax would apply to both labor and sale of tires?

phantomspook
06-16-2005, 09:07 PM
How much does it cost to fix a tire with a nail in it? I will need to get that fixed and reinstalled in my car since the new geolandars arent going to arrive for a few days.

biocube
06-17-2005, 01:13 AM
the local flat fix/llantas places usually charge $5 or $10 to plug a nail.

sometimes the bigger tire stores will do it free

phantomspook
06-17-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks, I will try to find a place to patch or replace my tires.

lwclancers
06-17-2005, 09:04 AM
If you order those tires from the tirerack you can have them sent directly to an installer and will not have to pay tax on your order. Tirerack shows installers in your zip code.

I did this to 3 vehicles in one month back in April.

On my E: 235-70-16 Bridgestone Duelers REVOs...top rated AT tire on tirerack.