My new Geolanders [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: My new Geolanders

Sheniferous
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
I bumped the size up a bit and went with 225/70/16...

Gives the E a nice little 1/2" raise or so...

I don't know if I quite like them yet because it feels a bit squirrely at highway speeds...

Box4Rox
07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Shen - those look nice (you are the master of the low angle shot !) :)

I have the same tire (H/T-S G051) on a Ford Escape and they are great.

cdubea
07-12-2005, 07:25 AM

I don't know if I quite like them yet because it feels a bit squirrely at highway speeds...

Are they any quieter than the Goodyear Wranglers? My only beef with the E is it is extremely noisy on rough asphalt. The Ford Ranger PU I traded in for my E was much quieter on the same road.

BTW according to my calculations, they should have raised the car .275" from the stock 215/70/16's with an additional .39 in width (70% of .39 is .275). This means at an indicated 60 mph you are actually travelling at 61.2 mpg. My speedo is about 1 mph slow at 60 so I figure these would just about null the error.

Yes, I'm an engineer. How did you know?

Thanks.

georgeyew
07-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Shen, I have the same exact set up on my E. It was a little loud and squirrley at the beginning, but after a few miles, they settled down. I really like the way they look....like a real truck tire. I have no complaints about mine after 15K miles.

joemama
07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
I just got home from adding Geolanders to my Element for my trip to the E meet.

Yes I can hear a differance in the Geolanders. Much quieter than the stock Goodyears. The ride seems a bite softer but that could be due to the added rubber I added. I stretched my Goodyears to 37,450!!

I got mine at Discount Tire and paid too much ($87.50 each) but I needed the tires for the trip and wanted the Geolanders.

I will let you know if they get a bit squirrelly on the highway.

Joe Mama

cdubea
07-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Yes I can hear a differance in the Geolanders. Much quieter than the stock Goodyears. The ride seems a bite softer but that could be due to the added rubber I added. I stretched my Goodyears to 37,450!!

Joe Mama
Hey Joe,

What pressure are you running them at?

HappyCamper
07-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Shen, I have the same exact set up on my E. It was a little loud and squirrley at the beginning, but after a few miles, they settled down. I really like the way they look....like a real truck tire. I have no complaints about mine after 15K miles.

Same is true with my Firestone Affinity's. The first week or so, I wasn't sure that I liked them. Now that they are past the initial break-in, I think that they handle and ride great.

I don't remember which site I read it on, but I learned that there typically is an initial break-in period for all new tires, similar to what I experienced.

cdubea
01-27-2006, 08:28 PM

Hey Shen,

It's been about six months since you got the tires. Can you please give us a report? How many miles do you have on them.

Thanks,

Beaker
01-27-2006, 08:49 PM
can you repost the picture, too?

jdiane
01-28-2006, 09:29 AM
can you repost the picture, too?

my thoughts exactly!! i have been thinking of getting the Geolanders... but need more info :)

Bobman79
01-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Count me in, too. I've got a ways to go before I can justify replacing the Goodyear HPs, but I'm already looking at other tires. I'd really like to see the pics from Shen.

Based on the number of requests versus the lack of response, I'm going to guess that not many folks out there have them, but while we're talking tires, has anyone got any pictures and/or opinions of the Toyo Open Country tires? I've had/used Toyos for awhile, bought from various Les Schwab dealers, and I feel some amount of loyalty to both brand and store. Anyone?

Sheniferous
01-28-2006, 11:41 AM
quick post before i head out to the So Cal meet.

after 10,000 miles or so , the geolanders have been good to me. noise and ride is about the same but it feels a little more sure footed.

here are pics.

jdiane
01-29-2006, 09:48 AM
great pics! thanks! :) and soo clean too :D

WartHog
01-29-2006, 10:02 AM

I got mine at Discount Tire and paid too much ($87.50 each) but I needed the tires for the trip and wanted the Geolanders.

Joe Mama

How about an update on your Geolanders, too, JoeMama -- noise, ride, handling?

THE "E"
01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Those DO look nice... Hmmmm...

bonajo
02-13-2006, 07:48 AM
I've had Geolanders on my E for about 35,000 miles. I rotate them every 10k & they still have about 80% of the tread left. They seem to handle great. Granted, I'm not the most aggressive driver, but I do live in Minnesota, where the roads aren't always in the best condition.
I had the same problem with noise when I first got my tires. They were quite a bit louder than the stock tires. After the break in period, however, they quieted down. I'd definetely purchase them again.

cdubea
02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I've had Geolanders on my E for about 35,000 miles. I rotate them every 10k & they still have about 80% of the tread left. They seem to handle great. Granted, I'm not the most aggressive driver, but I do live in Minnesota, where the roads aren't always in the best condition.
I had the same problem with noise when I first got my tires. They were quite a bit louder than the stock tires. After the break in period, however, they quieted down. I'd definetely purchase them again.

Good to know. One of the MAJOR issues I have with my E and the stock GY's is the transmitted road noise. Would you say that when they quieted down after the break-in that they were less or more noisy than the stock GY's?

Thanks,