e on bfg's! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: e on bfg's!

45stang
07-14-2005, 06:43 PM
all ,hopefully this post will work! just got my new bfg's all terrains and lovin em! the e was made for these tires! much tuffer and tighter! like mini hummer. can't wait for the snow! 2003 ex 4wd ssm. -gman.

timehoc
07-14-2005, 07:13 PM
REAL nice.

hardguy
07-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey 45stang, very off road looking E. What size BFG TA/KO's did you get? Any rubbing? Just want to see what's the biggest size I can put on without rubbing. I can't wait till the stock wranglers wear out so I can get some BFG's for winter. Thanks in advance.

timehoc
07-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey 45stang, very off road looking E. What size BFG TA/KO's did you get? Any rubbing? Just want to see what's the biggest size I can put on without rubbing. I can't wait till the stock wranglers wear out so I can get some BFG's for winter. Thanks in advance.

On stock rims I believe the largest size is 235/70/16

45stang
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
hey guys, bfgoodrich just added the stock size 21570R16 to their line so i just went with the orig size. these tires have a very aggressive and extremely broad shoulder tread so i didnt wanna take a chance with possible clearance issues. the guys in the tire shop were very impressed! ride feels much higher and firmer! gives the E a much more muscular look. anyway i'm lovin 'em! thanx for the reply G-man.

paulj
07-15-2005, 12:24 PM
From what I've seen of these tires, and the fitting experience of others, sticking with the stock size seems like a good idea. They have a wide tread width compared to the section width, and it is the clearance of the tread edges that is critical on the Element.

From a looks stand point, filling the wheelwell is more of a show and highspeed car quality than an 'off-road' one. In rough stuff you want to leave room for the wheels to articulate when crossing bumps - though the Element's articulation is pretty limited.

paulj

45stang
07-15-2005, 12:43 PM
thanx for the reply! i've read your posts before and u r very knowledgeable! your info in other threads really helped in my buying decision. i agree with you in your assessment of the width of the tire. i was also thinking the stock size would be an advantage in off road and bad weather traction. thanx again. -Gman.

tom108
07-15-2005, 01:04 PM
a closer look at this tire reveals... It kicks A$$

45stang
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
thanx for the reply! yeah the tires definitely help in the a$$ kickin department!

lwclancers
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes, these tires are nice! For me it came down to these or the REVOs. The deciding factor was the treadlife and tread warranty...the BFGs had none, unless you bought the warranty extra.

gfxguy
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Mind if I ask how much? NTB (according to website) wants nearly $150/each, and I don't know if that's installed or not (I believe so, though).

timehoc
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Mind if I ask how much? NTB (according to website) wants nearly $150/each, and I don't know if that's installed or not (I believe so, though).

Costco has these for $102 + 10 install per tire.

Costco (http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2004&MA=HONDA+TRUCKS&MD=Element+DX%2fEX%2fLX&SP=0&MN=59254&cat=3962&MNo=0&Prodid=10025464&Aspect=70&Diameter=16&Speed=S&Width=215)

45stang
07-15-2005, 04:17 PM
i hear you! that definitely was a concern of mine also! i hope i get some decent miles out of them!

E-Freak
07-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Good call on the BFGs. I've got the same ones on my E. I worked out a deal with the Honda Dealer to swap the original Goodyears for the BFGs. I had to pay $50 per wheel (Canadian loonies) but I felt it was well worth it. I've gained a more aggressive, tougher, better looking tire and I won't have to get winter tires when the snow flies.

45stang
07-16-2005, 12:43 AM
timehoc ,they werent cheap! i think i paid like 139.95 per tire, but i think they are well worth it! also efreak, thats a great deal you got from the dealer! i wish these were the standard tires on the E! peace -Gman.

M1 1I 1K 1E
07-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking about getting these tires when the stock ones wear out which I hear wont be too long. Should I go with the 235's or the 225's? Some people can get the 235's to fit and others cant, what causes this?

45stang
07-18-2005, 10:59 AM
M1 thanx for the reply! i have no idea what causes some people to report rubbing on the 235's while not on the 225's. some had said it had to do with 2wd vs 4wd with the 4wd having more clearance? i don't really know, but i do know theres not a lot of room under the fromt wheels due to the shock tower! also the bfg all terrains are unique in that they are VERY broad shouldered and have a VERY aggressive tread! which may be the reason for the rubbing when the wheels are fully turned! anyway my BFG dealer offered these tires in the orig 21570R16 size so in order to be safe i just went with the orig size! i hope this helps. -peace. G-man. 2003 SSM 4wd EX.

M1 1I 1K 1E
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
thanks for the info stang, those tires sure do look great for being the stock size! clean ride!

gfxguy
07-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Costco has these for $102 + 10 install per tire.

Costco (http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2004&MA=HONDA+TRUCKS&MD=Element+DX%2fEX%2fLX&SP=0&MN=59254&cat=3962&MNo=0&Prodid=10025464&Aspect=70&Diameter=16&Speed=S&Width=215)

That's a link to Bridgestone Duelers, not BFG All-Terrain T/A KO...

Looked at SamsClub.com... the price is $133.42 plus installation.

Sams had the Radial Long Trail T/A for $104...

Looked at Costco and the ONLY BFG I saw for Honda Element was the Radial Long Trail T/A for $104.00..

MilhouseV1
07-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Those look awesome! I'm getting mine next week! Except I think I'm going to have the white lettering side face out. Thanks for taking the pic, and giving the size, it really helped. :)

45stang
07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
update on bfg all terrain ko's; went on a road trip this past weekend up to the catskill mountains for a family reunion in upstate ny. a 100 mile ride along a lot of twisty one laners and it was rainin on and off so the roads were slick! anyway the tires performed great! they stuck like glue and handled tight! i was very impressed! they gave a real feeling of confidence in the "E"! -peace -Gman '03 EX SSM 4WD.

Zem
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Any change in speedometer readings?
Did gas milage suffer much?

They look great!

45stang
07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
zem thanx for the reply! i kept the size the same as stock 21570R16 so i dont really notice any changes from stock except that the ride is a lot firmer and tighter. it feels like it sits higher as well. it definitely looks tougher! the tires do howl a lil bit but not that bad. i havent formally checked the gas mileage or speedo but they dont seem any different. so far so good! will keep you posted. -Gman.

BigTzElement
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
No words necessary...

45stang
07-23-2005, 11:48 PM
bigtz, those look great! how do u like them? they are very tuff lookin! i like the off road look! i like ur grill and ur brushguard! very cool!! -gman.

BigTzElement
07-24-2005, 11:35 AM
I Love 'Em!!!

Cappucino
07-25-2005, 09:42 AM
good lookin tires.....but i'm still partial to the bridgestone dueler revo's.....

i think it's the tread pattern...

BigTzElement
07-26-2005, 02:39 AM
i think it's the tread pattern...

You said it...:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the tread pattern of the BFGoodrich's better.

I also like that the BFGs have the snowflake on the mountain symbol for severe winter traction.

lwclancers
07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
You said it...:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the tread pattern of the BFGoodrich's better.

I also like that the BFGs have the snowflake on the mountain symbol for severe winter traction.
I chose the warranty on the REVOs over the MIA warranty on the BFGs.

I dont think you can go wrong with either tire though. it was a tough choice for me before choosing between the 2.

45stang
07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
lw, i hear you, the warranty is definitely a major factor in any decision. i'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed that i get some decent miles out of the BFG's-Gman.

Cam
07-31-2005, 07:26 PM
what are the specifics on the Revo's warranty?

i'm finding it tough to choose between the two,,,,,they're both kick ass!!!

Cam
08-01-2005, 07:37 AM
me again

i checked out the survey results on tirerack.com and although the bfg's were near the top of the list , they had poor ratings for deep snow traction and ice traction? 2.9 & 4.0 out of 10!
Anyone have hands on during winter with the bfg's? I've got the fun canadian winters to contend with and i want to make sure that i'm getting the total package.

thanx

paulj
08-01-2005, 12:21 PM
What is the local opinion? Compared to a dedicated snow tire the treadblocks and grooves are rather coarse. So on ice where having a lot of gripping edges is a plus the BFGs should do worse. I would think they would do better in deep snow, but I don't know whether they clog easily or not. I don't think they are regarded as great mud tires. The tread compound may also be on the hard side.

In snow and ice they probably are better than 'highway all season' tires, but quite possibly not as good as a tire designed specifically for the purpose. But since the mix of snow and ice conditions varies widely, you really need some local/regional opinions.

paulj

45stang
08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
hey guys, i've now gotten a few thousand miles on my BFG's 215/70R/16's all terrains, and thus far other than some rain i haven't really encountered any harsh weather to report on. in the rain they really perform well! they stick like glue! overall as compared to the orig goodyears the tread is much more aggressive, and they make the "E" feel tighter and firmer and taller. however, the ride is definitely more "trucklike" and they do howl a bit. overall, i feel that if you want to enhance the looks and are willing to tolerate some of the trucklike aspects of the tire while hopefully enhancing its severe weather and off-road capabilities (as i was), i feel the all terrains are a good choice.

Steve O
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I put some fat ones on too I love it. I went to a 15 inch wheel to do it
Steve O :-D

Steve O
08-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Another shot of my off road tire look
Steve O :)

biocube
08-12-2005, 08:24 PM
what are those rims and tires?

paulj
08-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm guessing 235/75/15 tires, one of the more common truck/suv sizes, and nearly the same overall diameter as 235/70/16 tires.

paulj

orangecrush
08-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm sold! Looks like I'll be getting me a set of BFGs for my E. Those tires look great on an E.

45stang
08-15-2005, 09:38 AM
steve o, they look awesome! the E was made for the the BFG's! really gives it that mini hummer look! they look tuff and really perform! greatly increase the off road characteristics of the E! ride is much higher and firmer! more trucklike! i couldnt be happier! can't wait for the snow! Gman.

45stang
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
hey all just checking with an update on the BFG All Terrains! had them for over a year and about 30,00 miles and couldnt be happier! handles great in all weather conditions especially rain and snow! these tires are definitely just what the E needs to give it a tougher look and better off road and bad weather capability! really compliments the E's ground clearance,4WD, and handling characteristics! heres another pic! -gman. 2003 SSM 4WD EX.

hardguy
06-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Wow, looking at that pic reminds me the first day I bought my E from my cousin 2 years ago, all stock. I wish the E came stock with those great looking BFG All-Terrains.

yoda13
07-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Did you ever determine how the BFGs affected your gas mileage?

45stang
07-23-2006, 09:45 PM
yoda13, I never formally checked however I didnt notice much of any difference. I think becuz i went with the original size 215/70/16's the gas mileage wasnt really affected. gotta say that i love theses BFG's all terrains what a difference all around versus the stock goodyears! definitely more aggressive looks and handling!

bobhch/hchbob
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/bobhch/anebr2.jpg

I ran these 225/70/16s on the stock steelies all last winter on my Element. They did very well and no rubbing! Now they are on rims that I bought from Empire and ready to put them on soon!

Love em'! :D

yoda13
07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
yoda13, I never formally checked however I didnt notice much of any difference. I think becuz i went with the original size 215/70/16's the gas mileage wasnt really affected. gotta say that i love theses BFG's all terrains what a difference all around versus the stock goodyears! definitely more aggressive looks and handling!

Thanks, that was something I was curious about. I have narrowed my choice to these and the long trails... When I put the BFGs ATs on my last Jeep, the mileage went down some, but they were also a bit bigger, so I am sure that played the biggest part in the loss of mpg. Anyway, I also have a 4x4 truck I use for off-roading and playing, etc. The E is my daily driver. Thus I didn't want to lose any mileage. But since that doesn't seem to be a problem, I think I am leaning towards the ATs now.:)

LeeCaldwell
08-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Joined the BFG T/A KO club today. Have always had great luck with these tires on other cars and trucks, so I did it again. That three-ply sidewall is virtually indestructable compared to most others. Put the white letters out on my ABM Element and went with the stock size (215/70R16). Clearly gained about 1" of tread on the road because of the wider track, even with the stock size, plus I think chains will still fit. It has a nice subdued agressive look on the E. Slight hum and takes the bumps much better. I feel safe taking the E on the back roads and into the winter snow now. :-D

SAM'S CLUB has them in SoCal for $118 each and $9 each to mount and balance (which includes a life time rotation and repair warranty, plus pro-rate if unrepairable). Out the door was approximately $550.

My E with BFG's:

http://i6.tinypic.com/23r35me.jpg

Grivas
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Yes, these tires are nice! For me it came down to these or the REVOs. The deciding factor was the treadlife and tread warranty...the BFGs had none, unless you bought the warranty extra.

i had these on my Dodge Ram pickup, my Avalanche and my E. I never wore the tires down.

45stang
08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Joined the BFG T/A KO club today. Have always had great luck with these tires on other cars and trucks, so I did it again. That three-ply sidewall is virtually indestructable compared to most others. Put the white letters out on my ABM Element and went with the stock size (215/70R16). Clearly gained about 1" of tread on the road because of the wider track, even with the stock size, plus I think chains will still fit. It has a nice subdued agressive look on the E. Slight hum and takes the bumps much better. I feel safe taking the E on the back roads and into the winter snow now. :-D

SAM'S CLUB has them in SoCal for $118 each and $9 each to mount and balance (which includes a life time rotation and repair warranty, plus pro-rate if unrepairable). Out the door was approximately $550.

My E with BFG's:

http://i6.tinypic.com/23r35me.jpg

lee, congrats dude!your gonna love those tires! they look great! just what the "E" needs! congrats again! g-man. 2003 SSM EX 4WD BFG's!

Speedy Toaster Dave
08-09-2006, 06:43 AM
hiya guys,
i just put Pirelli tires size P225-60R-18 on Forte 18'' black and chrome wheels and it rides great'' i bought emm here in Altoona at KRAZYKUSTOMZ check them out on the web

:D

LeeCaldwell
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
lee, congrats dude!your gonna love those tires! they look great! just what the "E" needs! congrats again! g-man. 2003 SSM EX 4WD BFG's!
45stang -

Just added this to my E on BFG's:

http://i8.tinypic.com/24y4e8h.jpg

I had the guy make these "Honda Emblem" Mini Hummer stickers up custom at 8"L x 1.5"H, so it will not get in the way of the rear wiper. It is carbon fiber look, gray & black. Had to buy two to get them done, but only need one. The other one is yours for $5 mailed to you if interested! ;-)

Couldn't PM or email you, so posting here on your E on BFG's thread. Let me know... Cheers :D