30,000 mile checkup, am I being ripped off? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 30,000 mile checkup, am I being ripped off?

nhE
07-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Hello all,

I am bringing my Element in for its 30,000 miles check up, I have for every 10,000 miles, and they told me at the dealership that the appoinment will cost $380!!!! Does this seem right? I have the appointment for tomorrow, but I will cancel it if many people think this is too much. What are other peoples experience with this? Thanks.

shawnblog
07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm just about to reach 20,000 but would be interested to know this!

Sheniferous
07-18-2005, 10:03 AM
ahh.. $380 to change your oil and filter, put some grease on hinges, and look at your fluid levels.

sounds like a deal!

look in the manual and see what type of servicing is required at 30,000 miles, then as your dealer what exactly they plan to do for the $380. they probably won't match up.

Budman
07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Cost me over $400. I nearly fell over.

me: "that's sounds high for 30k service"
them: "well it is quite extensive"

$120 in parts and about $280 in labor.

Ranger
07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Cost me over $400. I nearly fell over.

me: "that's sounds high for 30k service"
them: "well it is quite extensive"

$120 in parts and about $280 in labor.

:shock:
For what!?
Why do people keep falling for this stuff?

A little advice...

If anyone else is contemplating wasting their money on unnecessary service,
go to this link....LINK (http://search.hondacars.com/Default.asp?ui_mode=question&question_box=element+maintenance+schedule)
When the page opens, click where it says click here under the first search result.

It tells you exactly what the maintenance schedule should be for each mileage/age of the vehicle for the normal and severe service guidelines.
:roll:

Budman
07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
For what!?

A little advice...

go to this link....LINK (http://search.hondacars.com/Default.asp?ui_mode=question&question_box=element+maintenance+schedule)
When the page opens, click where it says click here under the first search result.

It tells you exactly what the maintenance schedule should be for each mileage/age of the vehicle for the normal and severe service guidelines.

Guess I should've asked first. I (stupidly) assumed they'd only do what was necessary. I'll post a list of what was done when I get home and dig out the invoice. Guess I can call and bitch as well (lot of good that'll do).

biocube
07-18-2005, 12:28 PM
whoa!

i bought an air filter, the cabin filters, an oil filter, some wiper blades, and five quarts of mobil1, all for about $75. and then my mechanic spent 40 minutes rotating the tires and changing everything. he charged me $20.

so i spent $95 for my 30k

nhE
07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
ok, so far I have only heard of one other person paying for this, the only reason that I am doing the checkup with the dealer is because they are a Honda dealership and they are who I bought my car from, plus I dont know how to do most of the stuff on the list of things to check at 30,000 miles, besides crap like oil and blades. So where do other people get their 30,000 mile check up? Do they even get it? Thanks for the input so far...

Budman
07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
ok, so far I have only heard of one other person paying for this, the only reason that I am doing the checkup with the dealer is because they are a Honda dealership and they are who I bought my car from, plus I dont know how to do most of the stuff on the list of things to check at 30,000 miles, besides crap like oil and blades. So where do other people get their 30,000 mile check up? Do they even get it? Thanks for the input so far...

For what it's worth, here's what was done to mine (according to the invoice):

oil and filter change
tire rotation
wheel alignment
replace: air filter, pollen filter, coolant
inspect/adjust brakes
change tranny fluid
tire "inspection and pressure"
service battery terminals
inspect: drive boots and joints, suspension, lights, steering, fuel lines and injection system, exhaust, hoses and belts
check battery, starting and charging system
change differential fluid

PaddleMe
07-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Eventually someone with far more mechanical knowledge than myself will chime in on this thread. Until that time, however, I would offer the opinion that there is no such thing as A 30,000 mile service. Rather, there is a shop's version of what they wish to call a 30,000 mile service.

Assuming you have no desire to work on cars nor the experience to do so (my situation), your best bet is to specify these types of services a la carte to avoid the work which is simply not necessary. Besides lubricating hinges and changing oil, Honda specifies that by 30k miles, only inspections, oil changes, and air filters (engine and cabin) are required. I wouldn't know a bad brake hose if you were whipping me with one, so I will specifically ask the mechanic to perform the inspections specified by Honda, but I will forego the parts replacements and services not specified by the people that built the car.

Besides the inspections, they are simply performing a bunch of busy work that isn't required. Its wasteful at best and, at worst, can result in damage or wear (opening valve covers, disturbing gaskets, losing tiny parts, stripping threads, etc.). My Honda dealer specifies a 30,000 mile service that includes changing the spark plugs, fuel filter, differential fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.
Honda's severe maintenance schedule specifies 110,000 for plugs, 60,000 for differential fluid, 120,000 miles for coolant, and 3 years, regardless of mileage, for brake fluid. My dealer also specifies "valve adjustment" every 5,000 miles, and Honda requires a 110,000 mile evaluation, with adjustment only if noisy. My very reputable independent shop has a similar wasteful menu.

In short, NEVER specify a generic 30,000 mile service. No such animal exists according to Honda. Specify the individual items which require service (page 153 of my manual).

jmkoffler
07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
If you live in a larger city, call all the Honda dealerships and ask them to give you a quote on specific maintenance items that are listed in your manual. You may think they all have the same prices for the scheduled maintenance, but they certainly do not. When I lived in San Diego, the dealerships inside the city wanted almost $400 for the 30K service and the Poway Honda dealership was $220 (for a 2003 accord). Shop around if you want Honda to do the repairs.

Budman
07-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Eventually someone with far more mechanical knowledge than myself will chime in on this thread. Until that time, however, I would offer the opinion that there is no such thing as A 30,000 mile service. Rather, there is a shop's version of what they wish to call a 30,000 mile service.

Assuming you have no desire to work on cars nor the experience to do so (my situation), your best bet is to specify these types of services a la carte to avoid the work which is simply not necessary. Besides lubricating hinges and changing oil, Honda specifies that by 30k miles, only inspections, oil changes, and air filters (engine and cabin) are required. I wouldn't know a bad brake hose if you were whipping me with one, so I will specifically ask the mechanic to perform the inspections specified by Honda, but I will forego the parts replacements and services not specified by the people that built the car.

Besides the inspections, they are simply performing a bunch of busy work that isn't required. Its wasteful at best and, at worst, can result in damage or wear (opening valve covers, disturbing gaskets, losing tiny parts, stripping threads, etc.). My Honda dealer specifies a 30,000 mile service that includes changing the spark plugs, fuel filter, differential fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.
Honda's severe maintenance schedule specifies 110,000 for plugs, 60,000 for differential fluid, 120,000 miles for coolant, and 3 years, regardless of mileage, for brake fluid. My dealer also specifies "valve adjustment" every 5,000 miles, and Honda requires a 110,000 mile evaluation, with adjustment only if noisy. My very reputable independent shop has a similar wasteful menu.

In short, NEVER specify a generic 30,000 mile service. No such animal exists according to Honda. Specify the individual items which require service (page 153 of my manual).

Very well put. After the spanking I got I'll be taking that advice...

Elenore1
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Alright get this 22000mi check up I never really read what they were suposed to do but I figured that they would check fluids and fill if needed and do alighnment. so My mom picked the car up for me and she drove it hjome and i get in and go to drive it they didnt do the allighnment. I had gotten in a car wreck so it had really messed it up i guess they didnt do a test drive, the wheel was at like 10 oclock when the tires were straight.....and i got to use my window washer No fluid. Makes me feel real reliable on my dealer!

Ranger
07-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Well put.

For what it's worth, here's what was done to mine (according to the invoice):

oil and filter change
tire rotation
wheel alignment
replace: air filter, pollen filter, coolant
inspect/adjust brakes
change tranny fluid
tire "inspection and pressure"
service battery terminals
inspect: drive boots and joints, suspension, lights, steering, fuel lines and injection system, exhaust, hoses and belts
check battery, starting and charging system
change differential fluid

Wow.
I'd be pissed if I was you.

I doubt they even touched the tranny, differential, and coolant.
They're all completely unnecessary and you wouldn't know the difference.
I wonder what service the battery terminals require at 30,000 miles?

Oh, and for those that take your own synthetic to the dealer for your oil change,
unless you actually see them use it, your chances are about 50-50
that they're just filling your E with regular old dino-juice
and keeping the Mobile 1 for their own car.
I've seen it happen.

wankerklink
07-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks,Ranger for the 50-50 comment re: bringing your own Mobil 1. I can watch the GMC being filled with my Mobil 1, but I won't be able to see that done at the Honda dealer. So I'm going to bring my 5 qts. in a plastic garbage bag and require the empty containers be returned to me { I will have scratch marks on the bottles so I know they are mine}. Geeeez, I'm getting paranoid!

ramblerdan
07-20-2005, 10:31 AM
According to Honda's OwnerLink Web site, the following should be done at 30Kmi:

*Rotate tires
*Replace air cleaner element

If the car is two years old, add:

*Inspect drive belts
*Replace dust and pollen filter

Since Honda recommends 10K oil change intervals, put that on the list.

Presumably the shop will also check your fluid levels and tire inflation, and the condition of the brakes while the wheels are off. I wouldn't pay a lot for that, though.

Ranger
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks,Ranger for the 50-50 comment re: bringing your own Mobil 1. I can watch the GMC being filled with my Mobil 1, but I won't be able to see that done at the Honda dealer. So I'm going to bring my 5 qts. in a plastic garbage bag and require the empty containers be returned to me { I will have scratch marks on the bottles so I know they are mine}. Geeeez, I'm getting paranoid!

:lol:

You've got to be paranoid anymore.
It's difficult to find someone who takes pride in their own stuff, let alone yours. :roll:

But, you know, they could just pour the good oil into the cheap oil containers after they pour the cheap oil into your engine and return the Mobil 1 empties to you...
:grin:

nhE
08-19-2005, 10:13 AM
so did ANYONE else pay for a 30,000 mile check up? Like $200-$300?

spdrcr5
08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
This is what I did when I first brought my E in for the first service. I went over with the Service Writer the following in a nice civil tone:

1. I have read the owners manual, have been on Owners Link and have been working and racing cars for 20 years.
2. I explained that I only want what Honda has said is necessary on every single service, unless I state otherwise.
3. I told them I will be bringing in my own Mobil 1 oil and expect the empties in return. I also told them I would be checking to make certain they put in the Mobil 1. (this can be done with oil analysis, never have done it as I trust the dealer).

The Service Writer thanked me for going over this with him and noted in the computer to only perform Honda Maintenance. The dealer of course offers the a la carte service plans that cost $$$ and are all performed for no reason other than to line the pockets of the dealer. Think about it for a minute, with all of these cars being designed to last 100,000+ before requiring anything more than a few filters and oil changes, how can these places remain in business? They can't. So they rely on duping the uninformed and the too lazy to ask or read.

My 30,000 service cost me under $100, don't recall the exact amount but it consisted of the following:

Mobil 1 oil change - Free
Honda oil filter provided by dealer - Free
Pollen Filter - Don't recall price
Air Filter - Don't recall price

That's it.

I handle my own tire rotations or get them done for free at STS.

kyote321
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
i've only got 16k on mine, but...

honda, although they front as being a a nice, practical company (and their cars are), they make a lot of $ from scamming on these intervals, as do all stealerships.

things like repalcing your air filter: costs $7 from autozone (that is way cheap) and takes 3 minutes to change. my wife would do it. the dealer will charge you at least 20.

the cabin filters can be changed fairly easily as well, see threads.

rear diff. fluid doesn't need to be changed until 90, 60 in severe, and they will sqeek if it is earlier.

lifetime alignments can be gotten from firestone for the price of 2-3 alignments. if you get tires from them go to tirerack.com and print out their price, firestone has to meet it!

dfreeze
08-19-2005, 12:23 PM
I had done all of the required-by-Honda stuff for 30,000 miles at other places. (Lifetime alignment at Firestone, my own oil changes, etc.)

I started getting nervous about the fact that Honda had never actually inspected the vehicle in the almost 3 years that I had owned it. So, when I was at the dealership getting the SRS unit repaired at about 40,000 miles I thought "might as well ask."

I had them do the normal inspection that they do for the 30,000-mile service. Just an inspection. They charged me an hour of labor ($75 in Cincinnati - price varies) for it. I was quite pleased. The examined everything, and showed me a graph printout of 3 different things. (Battery power, alternator power, and I don't recall the other item.)

Basically, I spent the $75 and they told me the following:

* Tires are new.
* Brakes are 50% front, but look new rear.
* Oil is in good condition.
* All fluids are full.
* All fluids look fine, with the exception of A/T fluid.
* A/T fluid has some detectable wear in it. They recommend I get it changed at 36 months. (I believe the manual agrees with this, anyway.)
* A/C is cold
* Defroster works
* All hoses are fine
* All lights work
* Idle speed is correct
* Air filter is fine
* Cabin filters - not checked, because I didn't want them undoing my glovebox. (I have heavily modified it with electronic stuff.)

To sum up what they said: yada, yada, yada.
To sum up what it did for me: sense of satisfaction and relief.

Was it worth the $75? For me, yes. For others, no.

I would compare it to cleaning my house. That's something I just don't do. Neither does my wife, even though she is a stay-at-home mom. It's just easier to pay someone the $100 every-other-week to clean it for us.

spdrcr5
08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
dfreeze, what you did sounds very, very reasonable. It is good to see you found a good honest dealership that charged you for 1 hours time for actually performing 1 hour of real work.

Nothing wrong with spending the money the way you did.

Arnie
08-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Thank goodness for this thread!
I was in a little over a week ago to get the "30,000 mile service" and to fix quite a bit of warranty issues.
The guys in the shop- EXCELLENT! They fix everything I ask them to regardless of whether there's a TSB or recall. I've been to another dealership where unless there's a recall or a TSB they would not fix a rattle. This dealership does.
BUT- Some of the guys at the service desk were trying to jerk me around. I'm a 19 year old kid and they probably thought I know jack crap about cars.

First Mistake- I called and set up a "30,000 mile service" without asking for a price. I should have called around to get a quote first, then act like I'd take my business, elsewhere. They WILL quote you a lower price as nothing is set in stone on these matters.

So I go in and when I say that I didn't get a price quoted, they say $380.
380 dollars!!!!????

Took me about 2 seconds and I was like um, you know what, I want to know EXACTLY what you're going to do to my car for 400 bucks.
Like others have said, rear diff fluid, yadda yadda...

I said I ONLY want what's listed in the manual. I go to grab the manual out of my car and suddenly the price is magically $310. Still too high.

Ended up spending far less than half of what they originally said. I made sure to be a little stern with them that I was only going to do what the manual by Honda motor co. suggests!

Like I said though- the servicemen themselves are super great- fixed all the issues no questions asked- courteous and friendly. Some of the guys at the desk are too- but I really didn't appreciate being jerked around.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps someone!

emulous
08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm just about to hit 30K miles with my Element, but it's only a little over a year old. I"m up on business and went by the dealer and they too wanted $380.00 for the 30K mile service which they gave me a list of everything that they do, and yes the majority of them are inspections. I also looked on owner's link and there is nothing for 30K miles in one year, so I'm gonna go by the 20K 1 year suggestion by Honda, which includes all the inspections this dealership wants to do for $380.00.

Yes, I know it's not necessary, but with putting the Element through 30K in a year, and the only thing I've done is oil changes at 10 and 20K. I'm gonna spend the $380.00 for piece of mind, because I know I abuse my Element. I also need to get things fixed under warranty and the way I drive, I'll be out of warranty in two more months.

A lot of folks think I'm stupid, but considering how much I drive the E and the way I drive, it can't hurt to have these things inspected and then I definetely have recourse if something does go wrong. I do it this way with all my cars while they are under warranty. Mind you this usually is only about a year or a year and half for me. I don't think spending $450 in 30K miles in total maintenance on my Element is bad. You should of seen what I paid in 30K miles on my Evolution VIII, tires alone were $1,000 (and they only last 10K miles [yes a sports car is a total different beast, but perspective counts for a lot]). So I'm getting off cheap.

Once my car is out of warranty, then it will only get the service recommended by Honda, not the dealership.

spdrcr5
08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
emulous you make absolutely no sense. Why pay good hard earned money for work that does not need to be done, and in the long run can actually harm your Element?

You're going to let them change the diff fluid even though you know full well that it should even be touched? You are willing to pay for a mechanic to "look" at various things under the hood and the suspension? I will do all of that for $150 and come to your house and warranty my "looking around" as well!

I can't believe you are willing to throw away $400+ (including tax) on total nonesense. :(

By the way, driving 30,000/yr is not abuse. I can't imagine you being able to do anything short of neutral drops or 6,000 rpm launches if a manual that can truly be abuse of any vehicle. If you are driving like a lunatic off road then that too qualifies as abuse. But driving a car hard is not abuse, it is designed and built for that.

emulous
08-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah, changing the differential fluid is really going to harm my Element, especially since the differential already had a cracked seal and the fluid's already been replaced once and it's leaking again.

That's like saying it's going to hurt my Element if I decide to change the oil every 5K miles as the dealership wants to do.

I don't think my Element is all that well built compared to other cars I've owned. There are things on it that I want checked out before it comes out of warranty.

I've earned my money honestly and it's mine to do with what I want. It's not like I'm going into this uneducated, I know that these things are not necessary, but if it makes me more comfortable, then it's worth the price I'm willing to pay.

My Element has left me on the side of the road, I don't want it to happen again, so I take more preventive measures.

I made my post to show not everyone thinks the same, and just because you say it's not necessary does not mean I have to agree with you. I'm fully aware of how Dealerships make their money.

The difference between you and I is, I did not tell anyone to do what I do. I have enough respect for others is to let them make that decision on their own.

Abuse is subjective, and you have no clue how I drive my vehicles.

If it makes no sense to you, then so be it, just be happy I'm helping the economy out.

dorienc
01-17-2007, 09:03 AM
So I just got a message from my dealer that it's time for my E's 30,000 mile service (how they knew, I don't know, because I get the oil changed elsewhere). Quoted me a price of $436.95. I had looked at the manual yesterday, so asked just WHAT is included. Got the answer others have-pollen filters, air cleaner, oil change, trans and diff fluid change, change the brake fluid (didn't mention coolant, and that's the one extra I think could use changing).
I change my oil - Mobil 1 - every 4000-5000 miles, but what do ya'll think about changing tranny, diff and brake fluid at 30K?

biocube
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
waste of time and money.

the only fluid that i have changed (i'm at 70k) is the rear diff, for $15.

i have my mechanic check all the other fluids every 10k when i change the mobil1 and filter and rotate the tires, and so far he says that they are all perfect. including the coolant.

i'm not cheap, i'll do if if they need it, and clearly its in my mechanic's interest to change the fluids and make more money.

and why the hell would the brake fluid need changing, and wouldn't you do the pads at the same time anyway?

Bald Eagle
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
...and why the hell would the brake fluid need changing, and wouldn't you do the pads at the same time anyway?
It absorbs moisture over time and can (in theory at least) degrade brake lines and components. In previous vehicles, I just had the fluid changed when the brakes needed to be done. I'm just past three years on the Element and was going to see what the dealer charged to change the brake fluid...then decide.

wmas1960
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
So I just got a message from my dealer that it's time for my E's 30,000 mile service (how they knew, I don't know, because I get the oil changed elsewhere). Quoted me a price of $436.95. I had looked at the manual yesterday, so asked just WHAT is included. Got the answer others have-pollen filters, air cleaner, oil change, trans and diff fluid change, change the brake fluid (didn't mention coolant, and that's the one extra I think could use changing).
I change my oil - Mobil 1 - every 4000-5000 miles, but what do ya'll think about changing tranny, diff and brake fluid at 30K?

Boy, I thought I got taken some...

First, as I understand, your dealer figures service times based on an average mileage per year, or month, times the time since you bought your Element. Then they figure it based on their records of your mileage at the last time you visited and project the time till you get to the next mile point... Info is kept in their computers and the computer automatically spits out post card reminders to be sent out. Figure about 10,000 miles per year as average and you would get such notices every 6 months if they are trying to do 5000 mile oil changes and every year for the 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 etc. I, personally, get cards about every 6 months which seems fairly accurate.

I had my car in for 30,000 miles in November. Back then the dealer did an oil change, rotation of tires, change of hepa filter (cabin filter) and a multipoint inspection. I paid $250 for my inspection and I thought I got ripped. I would say I think your quote is way over the top. I don't know if the Trans Fluid or Brake Fluid really needs replacing. I think they may be trying to pull something there. I don't recall mine being changed yet and my dealer has never mentioned it. I do know they check fluid levels every time they do an oil change and will add if necessary. Adding and Changing are different things though. If mine was changed, it wasn't itemized on any of my invoices. I think Air Cleaner was changed at 20,000 on mine so maybe add that to yours. Can't imagine that being more than about $20 or $30 more, on top of $250 which I got charged.

Figure then,

Oil change $30
Tire Rotation $40
HEPA Filter $40 (Clean out your glove box if you take it in. They have to go in behind the glove box to get to the filter.) It is supposed to be easy to change and not an expensive part. Figure dealer pricing though and I can't imagine it really needing to be that expensive.

Add your Air Cleaner at about $30 or $40 maybe and you are still around $150 The dealer also did a "Muliti-Point" Inspection. Most of that is probably stuff that is routinely done with any oil change. Lubrication of joints visual check of fluids, filters, seals, brakes, tires and pressure check.... Lets assume for benefit of a doubt that there is something more that they do than normal. That still shouldn't account for over $250 more.

You are still being quoted a lot more than what I understsnd is needed.

Lastly, when I took my car in, I specifically asked to be informed on the condition of tires, brakes and anything winter related, being that it was November when I took the car in. I assume that would include a check of the anti-freeze conditions and topping off. I was told 7/32nds on the tires, 20% front and 35% rear for the brakes... Battery was tested and the print out said "GOOD" Again, there was no mention of any need for any flush or replacement of any fluids. Other than OIL.

wmas1960
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
It absorbs moisture over time and can (in theory at least) degrade brake lines and components. In previous vehicles, I just had the fluid changed when the brakes needed to be done. I'm just past three years on the Element and was going to see what the dealer charged to change the brake fluid...then decide.

After my 30,000 mile check the service advisor, as I asked, reported back the conditions of Tires, and Brakes. I was concerned about my reading here about the factory tires so I thought I would seek a professional opinion before I made a decision to replace them. I was expecting to need new tires. As for the brakes, I am somewhat hearing impared and can't hear the squeeking of the indicators in the brake pads. Usually, by the time I hear noise, it is too late. So, even if it was going to cost me more, I figured it worth while to specifically ask for a more detailed check.

Anyway, the service advisor went over the Battery Test report (Printout) and told me of the Tire and Brake condition. He told me good news and bad news. Good news was that nothing needed any attention and would be good for about 10,000 miles more. Bad news was that they will all be needing service at the same time..... Therefore, I think I will have to prioritize them over the next several months and do what I can when I can afford it to spread them out. Anyway, when I asked what was needed for the brakes, he said that they would turn the rotors and replace pads. I would guess, based on what I am reading, changing fluid and checking lines.... might all be part of that "Brake Service" It would seem logical.

GreenElement13
01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah I too tried to get rope-a-doped with the $400 30k service..almost had it done until I told my friends about it and they said for what, so I got the list and they laughed, two of them mechanics for Toyota and honestly told me it was unecessary.. Another tip, tire rotation ONCE at honda 30-40 dollars. Go to walmart and for under $20 they will do your tire rotation for the life of the tires. Or they also do one time rotations for $1.50 per tire.:shock:

lunchboxx
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Hello all,

I am bringing my Element in for its 30,000 miles check up, I have for every 10,000 miles, and they told me at the dealership that the appoinment will cost $380!!!! Does this seem right? I have the appointment for tomorrow, but I will cancel it if many people think this is too much. What are other peoples experience with this? Thanks.

Hi, I also was due an exorbitant 30,000 service and found out they charge you about 100 bucks to drain and refill brake fluid. What??????? Also another hundred to balance and rotate your tires. My local guy charges 35 dollars. And if you are like most E owners, your tires didn't make it to 30,000 and they wouldn't cover them under warranty. Honda service should fly the skull and crossbones.

zoetropico
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Great thread!

I signed up for this forum 2 years ago when I first got my Element. I haven't really checked in too much until now. I'm just about due for the 30k maintenance and was calling around to different mechanics to get some prices. I was shocked at how different they were! The Honda Dealership here (Bay Area, CA) quoted me $399.25! And they explained that the reason it was more expensive than my old dealer in Texas (who was quite fair, btw) was because they had found that a "engine valve adjustment" was necessary and could really reduce problems later on. Hmmm. I was not falling for that. He continued to talk in circles for a while - varying weather conditions, high rent in CA, preventative maintenance, Honda changing the schedules to keep up with bmw (?), etc. etc. Until finally, he said, "well, if you really want to, we can just do what the manual says but I wouldn't recommend it." So, I thanked him for the info and logged on to this site. I am so glad I did! There are a few local independent mechanics that I've heard about who quoted me a more reasonable $200.

However, after some thread browsing on this site, I've decided to change my own pollen and air filters, and just pay for the oil change, belt inspection, and tire rotation. That should save me some money.

One question though - OwnerLink and my manual list "replace air cleaner element" in addition to the dust and pollen filter. IS this just the air filter? And, is it a DIY? Thanks!

bez732
10-25-2007, 04:49 PM
im a tech for a honda dealer in NJ. you guys should be looking in your owners manual and see what is recomened for your year car. there are still a lot of dealers following old maintance periodes for olders cars. wich there is more going on with vavle checks etc.... any I-VTEC motor should not need the vavles checked untill 100k-110k.

all major services should be done for preventative measures, or atleast have the car come in to be looked over. if you keep a good relationship with your dealer they will take care of you. what i mean by this is when your car is out of warrenty and you need a pricey item like a trans or bigger motor you might get is good willed. there have been plenty of times where my dealer has gone to bat for good customers on stuff like that.

as far as local shops you get what you pay for. im not saying that the small shops are bad but sometime they dont know what is best for the car. i see cars get towed in all the time for stupid mistakes by local shops. for example this local shop was changing BRAKE FLUID and put in the wrong kind and the brake fluid made all the lines swell and locked all the brakes. at this point all the rubberlines had to be changed and you could emagine the time and cost of parts that was. if this guy would have spent the little extra money at honda he would have had less of a head ace., and no down time on his car. this is just on example i have many more.

so pick your local STS or SHOP wisely!!!!!

bh241
10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
One question though - OwnerLink and my manual list "replace air cleaner element" in addition to the dust and pollen filter. IS this just the air filter? And, is it a DIY? Thanks!

Yes, It's a DIY, you can get the filter element at about any parts store. Loosen four screws and replace the filter. 5 minutes tops.

biocube
10-25-2007, 08:06 PM
both the cabin air filter and engine air filter are super easy to do for anyone who can turn a screwdriver (and not even that for the cabin!).

i find it easiest to order the filters and a fresh refill for the wiper blades from H&A (a site sponsor) and have them arrive at my door.

zoetropico
10-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I did it! My first DIY maintenance on any car. I am very proud of myself. :)

I just changed the air filter and the dust & pollen filters. The in-cabin ones were easy - 5 minutes. (including the time to put all the crap back in the glove compartment) The engine air filter was a bit more challenging but once I figured out that I had to loosen the hose clamp as well as remove the four screws on the cover it went quickly. My only fear was that I would knock a wire or essential engine part out of whack or strip one of the screws. It's a tight fit in there! But, now it's done and I feel good about saving myself some money. Thanks to everyone who has posted help on this forum!

I also found out that AAA here in Northern California has AAA Service Centers with good warranties, ASE certified mechanics and discounts on maintenance services. They quoted me $134 for the 30k service (minus filter changes) which includes the oil change, tire rotation, belt check, and other general inspections, fluid, etc. I think that seems pretty good!

rhythm_ace
10-26-2007, 08:53 PM
My brother once wisely noted that the salesmen spend lots of time telling you how reliable and trouble-free the vehicle will be...then once you've bought, they're selling you extended warranties and chiding you to get regular service. We'll probably get a couple hundred K miles out of these babies just by keeping the oil changed.

I just turned 30K...service? I ain't going there.

NMJohn
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
My 06 EX-P MT recently reached 30K. I called the local dealer and asked their price for the 30K service. $420!!! With that price as their starting point, I did not feel like getting into a discussion about how much it would be for just the relatively minor and routine items Honda recommends. I went to my local Jiffy Lube and had all the recommended stuff except the tire rotation done for $98. It would have been even less had I changed the engine and cabin air filters myself, but I was feeling time-challenged and lazy. I regret that I just said no thanks to the dealer rather than telling them how ridiculous their price was.

Skruffy
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you guys SO much!!! I am sitting at 36k miles. Just replaced the tires with Nokian WR SUV's. I'm very pleased with them so far, but that's another thread. I'm about to take my car in for the $30k check-up, as my light's been on for a while. I thought, correctly, that I might log on here and find some good advice before taking it in for the $390 fee they quoted me. I am now ordering filters from handa and will probably take it into my local mechanic to check the belts and maybe replace brake pads/flush the brake line. I had the tires off and looked at the pads recently to replace them myself, but they looked good. They've since been "grinding" and, in general, making more noise and seem pretty stiff. I already have the pads so I thought I might as well get them thrown in, eh?
Think that'll be sufficient? Oh yeah, the oil has been replaced recently also. Thanks again to so many helpful posters! You have been such a valuable resource for us fellow owners!
E-ON! E-ON!

AgilityPup
12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey all,
I just had the 30k maintenance done at my local dealership. Wow, it was $150 for all the items specified in the manual plus replacing a signal bulb and repairing one tire that had a nail in it. They did the 'inspections', topped off the various fluids, replaced the recommended filters, rotated and balanced all the tires too. My next tank of gas got 6 mpg more, plus since I was not about to do the maintenance myself, the whole shebang was worth the cost for me.

Seems like some are really getting shystered by the Honda dealer fraternity, what a downer.
KM

HAHNEE07
01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
:shock: going to lake tahoe this february, my 30,000 maintenance light on, went to the dealer, give me this sh*t to let me know wut they gonna do
with my e, they quoted me :shock:$329.95 plus tax,:shock: do i need all of this stuff? im not dat much of a weekend warrior, almost use my e often to get to work.
guys, pls. help. dont know much about engine and stuff. what should i do
to lower my $329 bill?(thats almost 6 lift tickets for me:sad:)

mkh
01-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Am a newbee, so others may have a better idea, but to me that seems very reasonable for the preventative maintenance being done, i.e. all the fluid changes. Similar on my current car would be almost $700.

Hondamade4dogs
01-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Oil change $16.95 ! 30,000 miles :lol:

special k
01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Hahnee07

Here's a scan of the 05 manual, take yours with you and tell them this is what you want done. Per Honda's recommendation, not theirs.

HAHNEE07
01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
:Dthanks @ special k:D

wmas1960
01-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Am a newbee, so others may have a better idea, but to me that seems very reasonable for the preventative maintenance being done, i.e. all the fluid changes. Similar on my current car would be almost $700.

$329? $700? You got to be kidding. I didn't look at a close up of the invoice so I don't know what is being recommended. Maybe the work recommended is worth the cost but the question is, is that all necessary and if you take the car in at 40,000 or 50,000, will the next guy try and redo stuff that was already done prematurely.

I would start by suggesting, 1.) keep track of your maintenance on your car. If you got it new, you shouldn't have a huge problem. Go to Ownerlink and set up an account and log in all the work that you have had done and what it cost. You will then be able to refer back and know what is timely and necessary and won't be repeating work that was previously taken care of. Read the manual and see what is recommended BY THE MANUFACTURER, not the dealer or mechanic. Be informed so that if a Service Advisor or Mechanic recommends something unnecessary you can say, No Thanks. Big example is all the people who are getting oil changes every 3,000 miles when it isn't needed but every 5,000 to 10,000.

If you got your car used, just follow the manual recommendations and use a little common sense as to whether something needs work or not. If it is recommended and may have been on a previous inspection, you might say, OK, maybe the previous owner never did it... and, at least, now know it is current. Keep records in Owner Link and, once up to date on the work, you will know where to stand.

2.) keep in tune with any issues, conditions or performance of your car. If you aren't having any problems or concerns, maybe the work isn't necessary. If you are noticing some problems, pulling of the car one way or another, noises etc, maybe something does need some attention. Key words are, Not if the work is worth the money being charged but is it NECESSARY AND JUSTIFIED. Or, is it just padding your bill with more billable work that you don't need and might not need for 10s of thousands of miles.

Basically, I have noticed that if you go every 10,000 miles, as I have been, it is oil changes some inspections and a tire rotation. If you drive harder, have had an incident recently etc. and you go at 5,000 miles, change oil and some inspections and wait another 5,000 for the tire rotation. (Oil every 5,000, Tire Rotation every 10,000) Beyond that, check the manual as some Brakes, Filters and other maintenance pops up from time to time.

Approaching 50,000 miles now, I have only had Oil changes, Tire Rotations, one replacement of air filter and cabin filter and replacement of FRONT brake pads and service etc. Rear brakes were only adjusted. I got my tires replaced right before Christmas and don't know if there is anything more that I need right now except another Oil Change. Now, I do know that I don't need a Tire Rotation as it has only been about a thosand miles or so since they were replaced.

This time, (50,000 mi) I do have a couple bulbs out on the dash. I may have them fix the TEMP knob (out) and the Blower (Loose, tap to make it turn on) on the Heat/AC, or, is that something easy to do myself? I know the battery is original and in the near zero temps last night seemed like it might be somewhat weak trying to turn over the cold engine. It is past the recommendation from the 30,000 mile inspection as is the rear brakes. I might get hit with those also. We will have to see.

Anyway, from my recallection, note an earlier post from me, I think I was only charged about $225 or 250 for the 30,000 mile service. I consider my dealer good and helpful and have a lot of confidence in them. They have had plenty of opportunity to soak me due to my hearing issues and hearing brake noises, and other lack of knowlege about tires etc. Even after I mentioned to them, my curioscity and concerns due to my inability to know, say about the brake wear indicators, They could have replaced all that 18,000 miles ago and I wouldn't have known better. However, they seemed to be honest to me and told me that my tires, back then, were fine, brakes were OK and the battery was good. All were OK for another 10,000 miles.

While their rates might be high by comparison to independant mechanics, I feel that I am getting a level of knowledge and expertise that may save me, as one other writer mentioned, more in the long run by haveing proper fluids and parts put on etc. Right now all my bills, including the front brakes and all new tires (Michelin LTX) are less at 48,000 miles than the bills that acrued by the time my previous chevy was 10,000 miles old.

I may be lucky that my dealer has, as I feel, overall treated me decently and fairly. There are a lot of other posts re: Honda Dealers, that do soak their clients. I would suggest, if you can, check another area dealer. I am sure there are good as well as the bad.

Mainly, be informed and attentive, Don't be a mark.

DongTran
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I went to my local Jiffy Lube and had all the recommended stuff except the tire rotation done for $98.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Freeheart
02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
I am amazed at how many people are feeding an economy based on "I don't know". I've always been a geek, so when I opened a small, unofficial (mostly illegal) business fixing computers I found that that "average" repair isn't done because it's hard, but because the person is "mystified". Doing a virus scan ($60 at most repair shops) do the EXACT same thing if the service tech clicks the "Scan Now" button or if you do it.

Cars, like computers, aren't some mystical magical things. Maintainance like oil changes, filter changes, radiator flushes and other stuff is so simple you can do them on a slow weekend yourself and save a TON.

A year ago, I was paying Jiffy Lube to do oil changes until I realized (mainly from these forums, actually) that I was not getting "the best" - cheap oil, mediocre filters.

H and A accessories points out that if you buy the service manual and save yourself ONE trip to the dealer then you're paying for the manul. The second trip is pure profit.

This isn't intended to be a "you don't change your own oil?" put-down (I don't cook my own food!) but just a note that we pay out the butt because we're taught that certain things are "beyond our grasp" and that's simply not true. There's a lot of money, consumer power and dignity to be saved by learning about what's happening before making buying decisions. :)

wmas1960
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Your point should be well taken and you are largely right. I like the comment about you not cooking your own food. I can't tell you how many of my friends think that cooking is really hard. It isn't. Just a few basic skills and techniques a little time, the equipment and supplies and the ability to have the space to prepare a meal. Some of my single friends who, like me, live in small apartments, just don't have the space for all that, nor do they feel the time is worth it for cooking for one. So, they eat out a lot or eat cheap unhealthy frozen meals or prepaired foods.

Same thing holds true with the auto maintenance. Much isn't that hard but it may come down to time one has, or the space, equipment or abilities that they have on hand to do the work.

At the least, my comments that I have made previously, in this thread and in others, should be considered. If you are unable to physically or practically do the work yourself, at least, have the knowlege base to do the work if you have to. Know how to change tires and rotate them. Know what is involved in an oil change or how the various filters are put into the car. Know the basic issues with the brakes like pads, rotors calipers.... Keep records of what is done, when, who did it, how much it cost... Open an account on Owner Link and keep track. That way, when you go to your mechanic or dealer, you know what is due and what has just been done. If it is recommended again, either your mechanic is trying to pull something on you or the last guy didn't do what he charged you to do. Be informed and educated and it really isn't that tough. A lot of times, there will be things that you can, with even the minimal tool kit, space and time, be able to do it yourself.

But, again, like cooking, there are going to be times when having someone else do it would be easier, more efficient or practical.

Autobot Outback
04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Maybe Honda's maintainance schedule was drawn up by laywers.

I keep an Excell spreadsheet with fill-in boxes.

NV_05_AWD
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
For what!?

A little advice...

uh oh ! Linky no working now !:|

ajchien
04-19-2008, 02:05 AM
To the original poster, if you can check a few area dealership prices, you may find a difference. My dealership's 30K maintenence is $244. Just borderling on the high side for me. Therefore I'm a DIYer. If they came down to $200, I would let them do it. For each person it's different. I actually enjoy a little oil on my shirt.

missy2z
06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I took my '08 Element in today to the dealer for an oil change and they informed me that I was due for my 30,000 maintenance. The quote was $475! Are they nuts! I promptly told the guy that the oil change and tire rotation would be enough for this visit. $475 for fluid top-offs?

Thanks to everyone for the posts - those of us who are not mechanical are often taken advantage of. From now on I'll be checking the posts!

ramblerdan
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Welcome, Missy2z.

Hab Mobile
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Hello all,

That's about right... looking at my E records from when I hit 30K.
For fluid top-offs and just regular oil changes I take my E to a lube center instead (forget the specific name of it...)... costs me $35 for oil change and fluid top-offs vs. the extraordinary cost the dealer charges.

ElementFanatic
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
That's about right... looking at my E records from when I hit 30K.
For fluid top-offs and just regular oil changes I take my E to a lube center instead (forget the specific name of it...)... costs me $35 for oil change and fluid top-offs vs. the extraordinary cost the dealer charges.

For a 30K checkup anything over 100 is really too expensive for what needs to be done to an E at 30K.

just buy the parts and do it yourself its really just an oil change, some lube on any squeaks, rotate tires, and top the fluids... half of which you could do without even getting your nails dirty :lol: