Wheel Weight? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Wheel Weight?

soopa element
07-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Does anyone know how much the stock wheels for the EX model weighs? If they're not too heavy, I was thinking about getting it powder coated to gunmetal grey.

Ranger
07-20-2005, 08:45 PM
With or without air in the tire?
:grin:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have no idea, but I can't imagine the powder coating would add that much weight.
Definitely can't be more than some of the larger wheels and tires some people
are installing.

For instance, many have installed 235/70 R16s with no ill effects.
I seriously doubt any weight from powder coat on the wheel would effect handling.

If you decide to do it be sure to post pics.
Should look pretty cool.

hardguy
07-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I weighed one of the stock rim and tire and it came out to 46 lbs (Give or take a pound). I looked up the weight of the stock Goodyear Wranglers on tirerack and they are 24 lbs each. So that would make the stock rim itself about 22 lbs. Hope that helped.

soopa element
07-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok. 22 lbs sounds reasonable. Now the big question. I really want to do this project. How much will powder coating cost around?

wingdr
07-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Rough guess...60-70 bucks each. Guys in my other club are getting their 1800 GoldWing motorcycle wheels done for that price. Tim

soopa element
07-21-2005, 12:04 PM
By the way, it seems that Dupli-Color has some wheel paint somewhere close to gunmetal. And the paint is only a couple of bucks. Cheaper way maybe?

Ranger
07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
I think the graphite color they have could look cool,
and you're right, much cheaper than powder-coating.
Plus, if it ever gets scratched or fades, you can sand and repaint.

http://www.duplicolor.com/gallery/gallery_images/wheel_01.jpg

The cool part about this is you can try it and still go with powder-coating later since this is only paint.