Northeast region tire reviews? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Northeast region tire reviews?

Genom
07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I know there are numerous threads on tires, but I'd like to see some tire choices and their reviews from the NE region. Please include information such as perceived handling improvement, dry traction, wet traction, road noise, and especially snow performance.

Geolandars seem to have noise issues and also seem to be disliked by Subaru owners (different model/grade from factory?)

I've heard a number of good things about Nokians.

BFG All Terrains...the look is cool, but not what I want on my E.

Michelin LTX looks promising, but I haven't heard enough about them on an Element yet.

As always, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

spdrcr5
07-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I love my Nokian WR SUVs... best tire I have ever used. This is my third set of Nokian's on my own vehicle and I bought a set for my Mom for her Camry. Best tire I have ever used on snow and ice. I have driven Bridgestone Blizzak's and didn't like them at all. They work ok in the snow but nobody in the NE lives with snow 24/7 for 4 months... the snow is generally gone from the roads within a few hours to days. The Blizzak's are not meant for dry roads like most dedicated snows...

The Nokian's are a better snow tire, handle amazing (I used to auto-x with mine on my TT and beat people running race tires. lol). They are not noisy, track very well, etc...

When we meet up in a week or two you can take my E for a spin to see how they are.

Nat
07-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Sup from Jersey!

Because of the "four seasons" and a fair amount of daily driving in rain, snow and ice, these conditions are just as important to me as "ideal condition" driving. At first I was going to buy the Pirelli Scorpions. The Pirelli's are #2 on the Consumer Reports list of SUV tires (The Goodyear Fortera is #1). The testing indicated the Pirelli was one of the best tires made for the SUV. Downside was the Pirelli's ice & snow performance was not good and Consumers rated the Pirelli a "three season tire", even though it's marketed as "all season".

I've decided to buy the Dayton Timberline HT (made by Bridgestone/Firestone). It was the only tire to not have one "black mark" in any area. They want $130 for the Goodyear Fortera.
They want $95 for the Dayton. These prices include complete mounting balancing and disposal. IMO, the very small differences in performance between ther Goodyear and Dayton doesn't justify the $35 differences between tires. The only other cost is the 4-wheel alignment which should be done when getting new tires.

Consumer reports SUV tire list 11/04

In performance order. Excellent Very good Good Fair Poor
(includes MSRP $)

1 Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
$115
2 Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3 Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4 Kelly Safari Signature
5 Dayton Timberline HT
6 Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7 Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8 General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10 Toyo Open Country M410
11 Kumho Road Venture HT
12 Firestone Destination LE
13 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
14 Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP
15 Michelin XC LT4 (Sears)
16 Cooper Discoverer H/T
17 Michelin LTX M/S
18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
19 Michelin Cross Terrain
20 Continental ContiTrac
21 Kelly Safari SUV
22 BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

LOCO
07-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Sup from Jersey!

Because of the "four seasons" and a fair amount of daily driving in rain, snow and ice, these conditions are just as important to me as "ideal condition" driving. At first I was going to buy the Pirelli Scorpions. The Pirelli's are #2 on the Consumer Reports list of SUV tires (The Goodyear Fortera is #1). The testing indicated the Pirelli was one of the best tires made for the SUV. Downside was the Pirelli's ice & snow performance was not good and Consumers rated the Pirelli a "three season tire", even though it's marketed as "all season".

I've decided to buy the Dayton Timberline HT (made by Bridgestone/Firestone). It was the only tire to not have one "black mark" in any area. They want $130 for the Goodyear Fortera.
They want $95 for the Dayton. These prices include complete mounting balancing and disposal. IMO, the very small differences in performance between ther Goodyear and Dayton doesn't justify the $35 differences between tires. The only other cost is the 4-wheel alignment which should be done when getting new tires.

Consumer reports SUV tire list 11/04

In performance order. Excellent Very good Good Fair Poor
(includes MSRP $)

1 Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
$115
2 Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3 Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4 Kelly Safari Signature
5 Dayton Timberline HT
6 Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7 Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8 General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10 Toyo Open Country M410
11 Kumho Road Venture HT
12 Firestone Destination LE
13 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
14 Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP
15 Michelin XC LT4 (Sears)
16 Cooper Discoverer H/T
17 Michelin LTX M/S
18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
19 Michelin Cross Terrain
20 Continental ContiTrac
21 Kelly Safari SUV
22 BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

WHAT ABOUT TOYO PROXES S/T I think those suppose to be really good for all season round. rain and snow.

I dont know. what about those and their ratings? I was thinkn about getting those, but havnt heard much talk about them.
www.toyosforless.com (http://www.toyosforless.com)