No insulation under hood and see through front wheel wells [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: No insulation under hood and see through front wheel wells

I'm In My ELEMENT
08-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Just picked up my new 2005 HONDA ELEMENT 2 WD Y-Package Grey.
I was wondering why the front wheel wells are not completely shelled in with some sort of black plastic under boby molding. Has anyone ever experienced problems such as corrotion to the shock towers or debrea getting thrown up into the engine department?

There is also no insulation fabric adherred to the underside of the hood.

Just somethings that made me wonder after first day inspection.

What's the vote on undercoating?

Thanks,

I'm In My ELEMENT

prior8t2000
08-06-2005, 12:29 AM
A friend of mine place - put mirrors under his hood.
I wouldn't go with the undercoating stuff.

I'm In My ELEMENT
08-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I used to have a 53 Ford Custom Line with a chromed under hood to show the engine. But now I've changed and so has my vehicle pref.

So I take it, that it's normal to see right through the front wheel wells to the other side.

Thanks for the vote for not putting out on the undercoating.

paulj
08-06-2005, 12:40 AM
What is the value of insulation under the hood?

Regarding the see through front wheel wells: The steering arms pass through those openings. The steering gear is mounted on the firewall, rather than low down as on most cars. So the opening is higher where you can see it, as opposed to being hidden further down. The Civic and CRV have have this same geometry.

I have not noticed any particular tendency for that uncovered area to get dirty. And if it does get dirty, it is easy to wash it out.

The topic has been brought up before, here and on the HondaCRV forum. Apparently someone in the Philipines makes rubber covers for these openings for the CRV.

paulj

I'm In My ELEMENT
08-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks paulj for the reasuring feed back. My gut told me that if HONDA designed it that way then there is either a very good reason or there is no logical requirement.

Boy this is going to be fun going through the seasons to come.

Thanks for being there for us new members.