235/65/16 [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: 235/65/16

Ecmo
08-10-2005, 09:03 AM
The Tire Rack has Michelin Energy LX4 all season radials on sale for $69 each. The price was too good to pass up, so I replace my origional tires even though they only had 13k on them. The 235/65/16's are about a 1/4 in larger in overall diameter (.6%) and about .8 inches wider. There is about a finger clearance at the stut towers,so I don't think I would ever use tire chains. The tires are inflated to 40 psi as recomended by Chet's Wheel Alignment -the guys who mounted the tires. The ride is slightly firmer and all of the vagueness I felt with the old tires is gone. I haven't been able to spin the tires on dry pavement, a sort of normal thing with the old tires, and they don't break away driving through city corners at large throttle in 2nd. So far I've been in town so I can"t comment on high speed turns. They just feel solid.

buzzinhornet
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi Ecmo,
I was thinking about getting those exact tires. From looking at the available sizes the Michelin Energy LX4 ,235/65 TR16, appear to be the best choice.

Please tell me what your experience has been so far?

Thanks,
buzzin

buzzinhornet
04-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally sent by buzzinhornet to Sparman

I saw in a link that you are using a 235/65/16 tire. That is the size I am thinking of buying. What brand and type do you have. I know they sell both passenger car and SUV tires in that size.

Also if you have any comments on the change in ride roughness or smoothness would be great.

Best regards,
buzzin

Buzzin,
I'm running Bridgestone Dueler HTs in size 235/65/16. They're fantastic tires.
They're quiet, very smooth, and handle great. I've had them for ~40k miles and would not hesitate buying them again. I think the size is spot on. A little more aggressive width, and a smidge taller. I've had no issues with rubbing.

Also, just to share with you what I'm thinking at the moment, I really like the new Goodyear Wrangler with Silent Armor. They have a slightly more aggressive all-terrain look, and apparently are a fantastic improvement in tire mfg techniques.

A good friend of mine manages a tire store and can't say enough about them. He's said that they are very round, require very little weight, and are extremely quiet on the road.

So I'm going to give them a look in about 12 months or so. That being said, I'll have no hesitation buying another set of HTs.

Good luck.
Sparman

Ecmo
04-25-2006, 12:00 PM
The tires have about 8000 miles on them and look new. I think they have lees noise and slightly higher traction. the ride is a little harsher, but I am using 38 psi cold which is probably a little high. Handling is fine at any speed.

80honda
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Yesterday I was giving that same size tire and brand a look on tirerack. Getting close to replacing my originals.

buzzinhornet
04-26-2006, 02:49 AM
I was thinking about 235/65/16 for the following reasons:

1) The diameter is almost exactly the same (0.6% taller) as the stock tire. Thus no Speedometer/odometer differences. No other replacement tire is closer in diameter.

This is what Yokohama Tire calls "PLUS ZERO"
Plus Zero:
This method utilizes the same wheel diameter as OE, but incorporates a tire with a larger than OE section width and smaller than OE aspect ratio....plus size led to a noticeable increase in handling performance

http://www.yokohamatire.com/utplus.asp

2) Also according to the Yokohama Tire website
"A wider wheel (rim) will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, while a narrower wheel (rim) will improve ride quality at the expense of handling."

3) 235 width (tread) seems to be about as wide other members report going. The 235/65/16 is about the widest tire that is reccomendend for the stock Element Rim = the stock rim is 16x6.5

Thus the OEM rim and 235/65/16 combination is sort of a compromise of the tire with the best handling and rim width for best ride.

4) These are the tires that I have seen in 235/65/16 size: Bridgestone Dueler H/T, Bridgestone Turanza EL42, and Michelin Energy LX4

These tires are used by car companies as OEM original equipment. The Michelin and Dueler H/T are used on several mid range and high-end SUVs and luxury vehicles. The Turanza is OEM on the Honda Odyssey.

To me 235/65/16 looks like a pretty solid choice.

buzzinhornet
04-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Available 235/65/16 tires :

Bridgestone Turanza EL42
Michelin Energy LX4
Avon Ranger TSE
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (good snow tire)
Avon CR227 (cost more than $200 each)
Goodyear Eagle GA (cost more than $200 each)