Honda Element Owners Club banner

From D to N

698 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PhyrePhoxe 
#1 ·
I was driving along this morning and while I reached to change the radio I hit the shifter. It went from D to N without pressing the button. I did not hit the shifter hard at all. Is this the norm. I have never had a AT so I don't know if this is the norm for AT's....

#2 ·
I remember seeing a chart somewhere in the manual about which gears require you to use the button and which ones don't. I have one of the infamously abridged 2004 owners manuals, so I suspect it is in all of them. As for the actual answer to your question though, I don't know because like a lot of other people here, I don't rtfm. (I think it is one of the first rules of being a guy.)

#5 ·
Yeah, going from D to N (or R to N) without depressing the button can be done in just about any automatic I know of. In fact, was driving years back in my 6000 STE. Buddy ended up bumping the shifter (on the center console), and I panicked for about 5 seconds when I saw the RPMs go through the roof (70 mph from drive to neutral).

#6 ·
Yeah, going from D to N (or R to N) without depressing the button can be done in just about any automatic I know of. In fact, was driving years back in my 6000 STE. Buddy ended up bumping the shifter (on the center console), and I panicked for about 5 seconds when I saw the RPMs go through the roof (70 mph from drive to neutral).

I also kinda freaked out. I thought I had to put the clutch in for a second. I ended stepping on the brakes.... I was :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.