Best Seat Configuration for 2 Dogs? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Best Seat Configuration for 2 Dogs?

meking
08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I have two coonhounds - 85 and 55 lbs, and I'm trying to figure out the best seat configuration for them. They won't lay down - they'd rather be looking out the widows, so having the back seats up doesn't work super well.

Has anyone tried keeping the back seats totally reclined and letting the dogs ride that way? Is their weight going to damage the seats somehow, since the back isn't really supported?

Thanks! (Hopefully I will post a pic soon so you can see how much they love the new E - the civic just wasn't cutting it)

hiker chick
08-20-2005, 02:44 PM
My 43-pound Samoyed and her 52-pound Belgian buddy ride on a flat back seat everytime they get in the E. Sometimes both on the one seat (I keep only one seat in the back).

After a hike, Gidget lays on the back part of the back seat.

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you get a Mastiff. Even then I wouldn't worry unless they bounced on it.

I keep a beach towel on the seat, by the way.

Your pups probably aren't missing the Civic. Gidget sure isn't missing the Miata. :)

horseygal
08-20-2005, 04:10 PM
On a trip back from PA with 4 people in my E, my self included, and a great big antique record player, I sat on the tip of the back of one of the back seats. My husband drove, my brother-in-law was in the passanger seat and my mother-in-law was in the remaining back seat. The other back seat was folded completly flat with the record player, that my mother-in-law just had to have. fitting perfectly from the back of the driver seat to about 6 inches from the top of the back of the back seat...where I sat. So no, I dont think your dogs will harm the seats. I only have one dog but what I do is fold the passanger seat completly down and then seat belt my 90lb puppy in the back seat behind the passanger seat. This allows her to lay down (on the top of the back of the passanger seat) if she wants or sit up and look out the window. She can even see out the front window. This way i dont have to worry about the air bag hurting her if we get in an accident and she's still buckled in and comfy.

meking
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks!! So far - with one road trip under our belts/collars, it seems like the weight is no problem. Boy do they like to sit up high! (my windows have the slobber to prove it!)