Engine noise under slight load and slight acceleration [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Engine noise under slight load and slight acceleration

chance
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I just bought my 05 AWD. It now has about 600 miles on it. Sometimes under slight acceleration (not pedal to the floor) and usually with a load (like up a small hill), I hear a clattering noise. I can let my foot off the accelerator pedal and the noise stops and then I can reapply and the noise comes back.

This noise sounds like either a bad gasoline clatter (not as loud) or an exhaust leak. It seems to happen a little more when the engine is cold (how cold could it really get here in Texas. It is 100 degrees right now). It does happen sometimes even after driving for 20 minutes.

I took it to the dealer and he said that he heard the noise. He said they went and drove a brand new one (what is mine? It only had 400 miles on it) and heard the same noise; therefore, they dismissed it as a problem. They said they checked for exhaust leaks due to safety issue but could not find anything wrong. I also ran gas treatment in case there was water from the car sitting in the dealerís lot. Still have the noise after 3 tanks.

I have a call back into the dealer asking if it is not a problem and nothing is wrong then why do I hear the noise sometimes and not others.

Have any of you experienced this noise. I know it is tough for you to comment unless you have heard this specific noise but I can assure you if you have this noise, you will know what I am talking about. Donít get me wrong, it is not a loud noise but still a noise.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions

Lunarlight
08-26-2005, 05:37 PM
HI Chance,

I think I'm experiencing something similar. My E is three weeks old and I'm still trying to find the pattern to when I hear the "exhaust leak" sound. Previous to my Element, I had a 20 year old Prelude with a few holes in the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler. Slight acceleration in my E produces a similar sound to the holy Prelude.

Needless to say I'm thankful to see your post (I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic). Perhaps if you're noticing it too, it is indeed something normal. I've also wondered if it had something to do with an MT and the point in the RPMs at which I'm shifting (am I shifting too soon...)? Dor?

~Abby

Andrew1007
08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I live just north of you in Georgetown and yah its hot. I have an 2003 and have not experience that noise. I do have a noise in the transmission when it shifts. Its a noise like a spring being released. What dealer are you using?

Andrew

chance
08-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Lunar-I dont think it normal because some cars have it and some do not so my question to the dealer is why and what is making my E have the noise and another E not?
Also mine is an automatic
Hope to find an answer by next week
Paul

element au
04-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I know this is an old thread, But I have the same noise in my 03. Uphill or under slight load. If this thing had a V8 I'd swear the push rods were in trouble, but its not.

I have found two things under the hood that may contributing. One is the air flow regulator on the the intake, and the other is the fact that the air intake is bolted onto the engine using some poorly made grommets that are designed to reduce vibration.

I'm off to the dealer to do the drive an E and a CRV just to make my case.

I'll keep you posted.

T

M1 1I 1K 1E
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I've noticed the same sound, let me know what you find out...

Florida Roadie
04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I've had that same noise since day one .still there after 25,000 miles .Sounds like an intake/exhaust valve clatter . Definetly more obvious when the engine is cold.

rymo926
04-03-2006, 12:27 AM
are you guys talking about a small chatter or clicking noise at idle and more pronouce when cold...I have that since day 1...05' auto. maybe it is normal and the ones w/o is the un cool ones.

3_3rdHonda
04-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Pinging?

A quick google on honda element pinging suggests probs w/ oxygen sensor and thermostat.

Critical_level2
04-03-2006, 02:40 PM
are you guys talking about a small chatter or clicking noise at idle and more pronouce when cold...I have that since day 1...05' auto. maybe it is normal and the ones w/o is the un cool ones.

I have the same as you. It is more noticable when cold, but it doesn't seem to affect the way it runs.

wingdr
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Not sure, but sounds like normal injector noise. Could be a combination of new engine noise and the injectors, Tim

medium-rare
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I've heard a similar noise in my '05 and found that cutting back to 87 octane has pretty much eliminated it. I was so freaked out about getting bad gas that I was putting premium in it.

Hope this helps...

M1 1I 1K 1E
04-05-2006, 07:41 AM
hmmm thanks medium rare, but i've only put 87 in mine and always notice it

element au
04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
The injectors are very loud on this engine and when the engine is cold, you can hear them talking. However, the injectors make a constant sound. This sound occurs only when you put the engine under a little load and then give it more gas. Going up hill is a good place to hear it. After reading parts of the shop manual, I'm betting on valve ping.

wingdr
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I read on the BITOG site that the honda oil from the factory is only a 0W20. This was determined from the Used Oil Analysis. I just put in 5W20 pennzoil platinim and the engine is a LOT quieter. Of course I now have 10,000 miles , Tim

ame425
09-21-2008, 02:49 PM
My '03 does it too. Someone suggested a thicker weight oil than the 5w20 that I was using, went up to 5w30 full synthetic and it seemed to quiet down. ALthough it is still there. Doesnt really effect the overall performance. Just annoying.:neutral:

Cin3120
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I had the same noise, took it to my local mechanic... he drove around in it with me so that i could point out when it was making the noise. He believed it was a loose heat shield. He tightened that up and the noise is gone. So far, my mechanic has done a good job diagnosing Element noises everytime i bring it to him.

'03, EX, AWD, 114k

Hope that helps

zeeman1229
05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
My mechanic thought it was a the lose heat sheild and took it off. Noise never left. I even get the noice when I am stopped at a light and accelerate off it quickly. I have an 03 element. I do have to say that I never had this problem before until about 2 months ago a truck drop a huge rock in the road and I drove over it. The rock hit my rear differential. Punched a hole into it and all the fluid leaked out. I had to replace the differential. When I got the car back, that's when the noice appreared.

godlovesugly
05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
got this noise too. sounds like a centrifugal (sp?) clutch in a weed eater or even more like an 1st gen Ford explorer taking off from a stop. it does kinda sound like an exhaust leak. I've replaced the catback and all gaskets in the exhaust except for the actual head to manifold gasket and thats not leaking. it's not a loud leak at all, and it's always there, hold or cold. it never gets louder or quieter. I'm wondering if it's the manifold design. every element makes this noise.

on another thought, it reminds me of the sound a gutted out catalytic converter makes. kinda a ting-ping sound.

psschmied
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I had a metallic ping/clatter noise during acceleration on my 04 that kept getting worse until I crawled underneath and saw the lower heat shield for the cat converter had rusted through its front mounting flanges.

Ten bucks and 30 minutes of work with penetrating oil and vice grips to get out the old bolt studs and the problem was gone, a new shield installed.

zeeman1229
05-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I posted weeks ago about the same sound. It has gotten worst. Seems like my car is growling at me when I hear it. I got so annoyed and finally took a look a the car myself since the mechanic couldn't figure out what it was. I saw the rubber on the transmission mount is worn and broken. Its at the mechanic now. Part is about $60. Should be fine after that.

psschmied
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
My mechanic thought it was a the lose heat sheild and took it off. Noise never left. I even get the noice when I am stopped at a light and accelerate off it quickly. I have an 03 element. I do have to say that I never had this problem before until about 2 months ago a truck drop a huge rock in the road and I drove over it. The rock hit my rear differential. Punched a hole into it and all the fluid leaked out. I had to replace the differential. When I got the car back, that's when the noise appeared.

If the new AWD rear diff wasn't filled with Honda dual pump fluid, it could make all kinds of groaning, grumbling sounds. Hondas are very particular about what kinds of fluids are put in their transmissions and differentials, not all mechanics are.

I'd be suspicious of any mechanic who removed a $10 cat converter heat shield rather than replace it. It wreaks of the untrained mechanics who tried to "improve" 70's vintage cars by removing the emission control plumbing. Honda doesn't put a $10 part on every vehicle they build just for the heck of it.

jasongullickson
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Ten bucks and 30 minutes of work with penetrating oil and vice grips to get out the old bolt studs and the problem was gone, a new shield installed.

Do you know where I could order this part from? I knocked mine loose getting stuck in/pulling out of some snow.

Thanks!

psschmied
12-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Do you know where I could order this part from? I knocked mine loose getting stuck in/pulling out of some snow.

Thanks!

Yes - from any Honda dealer. The OEM heat shield only costs around $10 complete with new bolts, so there's no reason to look for another source.