Element and dogzillas [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Element and dogzillas

Wolfi320
05-11-2003, 11:10 AM
I took delivery of our silver Element on wednesday last week. Within 10
minutes I had removed the back seats and stored them in the basement.
They will live there forever. Then I transferred the pet barrier from my
(traded off) Mazda Protege5 into the Element and........voila, ready was our
new Newfie Hauler. The Element has soooo much space for our 3 dogzillas,
it is almost unbelievable. And there is still enough room to haul 7 days worth of food and drink etc. for our trips north to our house at one of the
northern lakes.

Wolfgang from the "GR8 White North"

PeterCrowl
05-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your post. We have 2 Great Pyrennes hereafter referred to as The Kids.
(People often ask if they're Newfies - we reply..Yes! rare Albino Newfies!)

Anyway, we just took our first test drive yesterday and really love the E. Our main concern is the kids and their access / comfort. We need the low platform as the kids aren't jumoers. A standard SUV is not an option. We thought we'd be consigned to a minivan for all eternity until we found the Element.

I've read other posts regarding hair removal problems. Does Newf hair weave in like short hair does?

ALso read of problems with the rear seat cup holder. Honestly, I never noticed a rear seat cup holder so I don't know if it's really a problem or not. Any comments on this?

Thanks
Peter

Nesha
05-11-2003, 02:28 PM
I am planning to order a folding ramp from the current Doctors Foster & Smith catalog (catalog is also available online). It can hold up to 500 lbs and has a rubberized non-skid (washable) surface. Ramp extends to 70" x 18" and folds to enable under-seat storage. The only problem is the cost: $140! But it's worth it to me. Our Portuguese Water Dog is about the size of a standard poodle. At nine years of age, she's still vibrant and active, but I think it would be difficult if not impossible for her to jump from the ground into the back of an Element.

PeterCrowl
05-11-2003, 06:37 PM
It was written...
Our Portuguese Water Dog is about the size of a standard poodle. At nine years of age, she's still vibrant and active, but I think it would be difficult if not impossible for her to jump from the ground into the back of an Element.

Well, see, that's why we're so jazzed about the Element. The side entrance is low. Our Pyr's (aged 8 and 10) can make that height. The rear entrance would be a problem same as yours.
We have a 96 Olds Silhouette minivan and they can easily enter through the side door of that.

Peter