Great pyrenees eats seat belts [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Great pyrenees eats seat belts

oblio
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I've got 2700 miles on the new E. We took out the back seats to make room for Milo and he promptly chewed through the rear seat belts. After thr first one, we got some bad tasting spray from the pet store and coated the other rear belt to prevent Milo from eating both. Didn't work. I think he thought we were flavoring the other one especially for him. I have an appointment next week for the dealer to replace the belts. I don't want to cage Milo in the E, and the only idea I came up with was to get some pvc or other plastic pipe-put a slice down a side and slip the new belts in the pipe, as protection from milo, untill we put the seats back in and need to use the belts. Does anyone have a better idea?

Tim Vance
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Have you thought about a muzzle?

ramblerdan
09-26-2005, 12:44 PM
The PVC sounds like a pretty good idea.

Miss Ellie & Co.
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Seems as though Milo might just eat the pipes too.

seb
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Hopefully he doesn't just move on to the seats, headrests, armrests, gearshift, ohsh*t handles etc!!!! :shock:

MikeQBF
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
My sympathies. Yes, I would be concerned about the seats once he was frustrated by not being able to "work on" the seat belts. We gave up on giving our Dalmatian soft toys of any kind (stuffed, or vinyl 'squeakies') because he would eat them.

PVR
09-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Ditto Tim's suggestion

http://www.wapoultryequipment.com/CTCVT/Dog%20Muzzel.jpg

oblio
09-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas. We bought a barrier to keep him in the back so he can't get to the seats. He ate the rear belts of my last vehicle (1990 corolla) also, but that car was falling apart at the time and I didn't care because nobody sat in the back. I think Milo just likes webbing. He never chewed on the seats of the corolla. I think I'll try the pipe idea.

joemama
09-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Look on the bright side his poop will be safe from any sudden stops with the safety belt remnants in it.

:lol:

Joe Mama

joemama
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
My Beagle used to chew on the plastic shut off handles of my dining room radiators. I tried Bitter Apple but I think she actually liked that taste.

I tried Tabasco and that actually did the trick. You should have seen her eyes when the taste hit her. They got huge and I think I saw steam come out of her ears. Needless to say she didn't try it again.

I would try Tabasco on the belts you need to replace. Then install the new ones when the lesson is learned. If the dog starts to bring chips and salsa with him on car trips you might have to switch to a plan "B".

Good luck,

Joe Mama

oblio
09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Great idea - hot sauce might do the trick. When Milo was a pup ( he is 3 now) he loved to chew on wood and tried to chew the furniture legs. I used a little hot oil on the furniture legs and that cured him right away.

Hondamade4dogs
09-26-2005, 05:54 PM
What kind of contraption is that PVR...ha ha ha....At first I thought it was some kind of male thing....ha ha ha we are still laughing about it..... :lol:

PVR
09-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Its a muzzle for a large dog - I know it would probably fit over Joe's entire body!

Hondamade4dogs
09-27-2005, 07:43 AM
We knew it was a muzzle, but Ann saw it and thought...Hey that looks like a _____cage...What kind of s & m are those people into.... ha ha ha

Kayakin' Dan
09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I had a roomate whose cat ate my bagel once. He didn't even miss the damn cat. Go to the pound get a new dog.

Phreaxer
09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
We knew it was a muzzle, but Ann saw it and thought...Hey that looks like a _____cage...What kind of s & m are those people into.... ha ha ha

a better question is: How does Ann know what a _____cage looks like?! :shock:

Phreaxer
09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
I had a roomate whose cat ate my bagel once. He didn't even miss the damn cat. Go to the pound get a new dog.

LOL! Man, I love reading your posts Dan, they are great. :D :lol: