Dogs + E = scratches? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Dogs + E = scratches?

aristoBrat
10-03-2005, 04:03 PM
When I get my E, it's going to replace my Wrangler as the official taxi for our way-mellow black lab (JAK) and couldn't-possibly-be-any-more-hyper beagle (Toby).

Obligatory picture:
http://www.blipnet.net/archives/2005/09/09/jak-toby/
:)

From the threads I've read here, it sounds like a mat/carpet/pad is mandatory to keep them from sliding around and from scraping the floor.

I'm worried about the inside "non floor" parts of the E, though. Toby (the uber hyper beagle) loves to run around the back of the Jeep, using his paws to hold him up so he can see out the window. The Jeep's carpeted, so no harm done. Sounds like scratchville for the E.

Was wondering if anyone else had a 4-legged spaz, and how they dealt with it in the E.

Thanks!

DOGBOX
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes they will scratch everything. They will also leave hair stuck in car seats. Maybe not as much as cloth seats, but enough that will never vacuum out.

My solution is to have dogs ride in varikennels facing rear tailgate. I place rubber floor mats on tailgate prior to inviting dogs to "kennel up". Saves mud and scratches on the tailgate.

hiker chick
10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Samoyed is synomous with shedding but Gidget's hair does not stick in the seat. And I much prefer the E's floors to my Miata's carpet. 90% of the hair is removed with a whisk broom, the rest could be sucked out with a decent shop vac.

Dog or not, I highly recommend the Murdoch mat for the back to protect the floor from everything, protect the dog from slipping on the floor, from getting paws caught in the metal loops on the floor which the seats fasten to and because the mat looks great.

Gidget is prone to prop herself up on the back door windows. I haven't noticed scratching though I suppose there may be some. It's the dried slobber gunk on the door plastic that requires an occasional wipe with a damp hand towel.
The E is as dog-friendly as cars get. :)

seb
10-03-2005, 07:59 PM
The murdock mat is excellent at giving the dogs traction. It's not very cozy, I keep a foam bed too, for my old girl.

I found that my dogs would stand up on the side doors, with their feet on the window. The standing wasn't a problem, but they'd slide their paws off the sill and down the door, leaving marks down the door. So I installed these stair grippies purchased from the local hardware store (pardon the dirt):

http://www.red-tail.net/e/sill1.jpg

They don't slip off anymore, and it matches all the murdock stuff.

lae10851
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
What an excellent idea!

aristoBrat
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas.

The Murdock mat looks pretty cool. I'll do some more searching around here to read up on it.