Stinky Dog [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Stinky Dog

Hondamade4dogs
11-05-2005, 11:20 AM
My dog is getting a funk smell to her. She is like 14...Do you think it is old age stink or do you think she has some kind of sweat gland problem...?

bustamelon
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I have no experience with aging dogs but my 2 year old puppy, at certain times of the year, gets that teenage boy stink from lying in his plush bed and, I assume, sweating. Bathtime!

Bald Eagle
11-05-2005, 11:45 AM
If I calculated correctly, that's 98 in human years. My grandmother smelled pretty bad at that age, but that's probably because she died at 95. :shock:

bustamelon
11-05-2005, 12:21 PM
If I calculated correctly, that's 98 in human years. My grandmother smelled pretty bad at that age, but that's probably because she died at 95. :shock:

.........DOH!

22b22
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Dogs dont' sweat, but dirt and oils can stink bad. It's OK to wash him/her - your dog won't shrink :-P

I went from washing my dog every 6 weeks or so to every 2 weeks and he's much easier on the nose. It also ensures I clip his nails and check his ears regularly.

bsdowner
11-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Could be anal glands - take your stinky dog to the vet. Labs and water dogs tend to have oily skin/hair to repel water.

Washing dogs too often makes them stink worse. Same applies to ferrets. Only wash cats when they do stink.

lae10851
11-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Did anyone else think of "Smelly cat" when this thread came out???

22b22
11-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Could be anal glands - take your stinky dog to the vet. Labs and water dogs tend to have oily skin/hair to repel water.

Washing dogs too often makes them stink worse. Same applies to ferrets. Only wash cats when they do stink.

I agree about the anal glands - does the dog "scoot" on the floor? That's a key indicator. I "express" my dogs glands monthly the morning before his bath. That way he eats and has a BM to clean out whatever is left before his bath.

I too had heard about washing a dog too frequently, my ex GF told me that for most dogs, it is BS. My ex? She's been a vet tech for 8 years, I also checked with the vet and he said I could wash my dog as often as I liked with no issues.

He also said that some breeds shouldn't be washed that often, but even once a month for those dogs is acceptable. The moral of the story for both the Anal Glands and washing is "Ask your vet".

The other thing it can be is poor dental hygene - I know, but doggie breath can be aweful and seem to radiate from the dog like the dirt cloud on PigPen from Peanuts.

UnoKitty
11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Lot of variables here. Your dog’s age is perhaps the most prominent variable.

For example, a German Shepherd at 14 is an old dog. The dogs (German Shepherds) that I worked in the military were supposed to retire at 11. On the other hand, a Jack Russell Terrier at 14 is barely out of middle age. In general, a dog’s life expectancy is inversely proportional to its weight.

As a dog approaches old age, it may not maintain its normal level of self grooming. This may produce an unpleasant scent. If this is your dog’s case, then regular grooming will help. The specific type of grooming will depend on your dog’s specific coat. Different dogs have different types of coats which require different grooming techniques.

A well groomed dog, may not ever need a bath. And while I agree that an occasional bath should not hurt a dog, I would be very careful with my choice of shampoo. In general, human shampoo is not suitable for regular dog bathing.

Two caveats, I am not a veterinarian. My experience is exclusively with working military dogs (rather than show dogs).

The best advice here would be to get the opinion of a veterinarian that knows your dog. Let him know that this unpleasant scent is a new phenomenon and that you don’t like it. Ask his (or her) advise. Chance are that your dog doesn’t like it either.

Best of luck.

Snarf77
11-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I have a 10 year old dog and she smells like Fritos. I'm absolutely not kidding. Just like hot Fritos. I give her a bath every 2 weeks, but by day 3 she is smelling like Fritos again. Very strange, but the vet says there isn't anything wrong with her.

Also, I began brushing her teeth regularly about a year ago. Its funny, but it seemed to help with her breath. I got a little doggie toothbrush and everything.

bsdowner
11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Brushing dog's teeth is a very good idea. Believe it or not, bad teeth and tarter lead to a host of health problems including kidney damage. Use toothpaste designed for dogs, not your tooth paste. Also, use a different tooth brush for each dog (don't use your kid's toothbrush, kid may not like it)

Ferrets smell like corn chips. Ferrets should not be bathed more than a few times a year. More baths = stinky ferret

TJ's Toy
11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a 140lb Alaskan Malamute that is 3 this year and hasn't had a path since he was 6 months and doesn't smell one bit! Only time he gets a little odiferous is when it rains....and about the cat....he goes in the dishwasher every night!....never stinks!

gatorphunk
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Did anyone else think of "Smelly cat" when this thread came out???

"Smelly cat, smelly cat... What are they feeding you?" :D

My dog Riley gets a bath once a month, with "maintenance" on her ears with baby wipes every few days, since c. spaniels' ears tend to get funky...

Oh, the things we do for our children!

(Wow, the censor function here is sensitive! Guess that's a good thing...)