moonroof? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: moonroof?

buddkun
05-19-2003, 06:54 PM
For a vehicle as well thought out as the Element, I really don't understand why the 2wd doesn't come with a moonroof. It seems logical to me that the moonroof would be more appreciated in warmer climates where there is less need for the Awd. I live in LA, have no need for AWD and don't care to drag the extra weight around. I know I can pay to have one installed, but don't see why I should have to - it doesn't make sense that Honda didn't do it for me. This really kind of pisses me off & may be a deal-breaker in terms of me getting the E.

TheLusciousHellcat
05-19-2003, 07:02 PM
You know, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. Sure it's a 'camping' sort of thing, but it would be nice just for air circulation in pleasant weather, too.

But hey, here's a perk: If you get an aftermarket moonroof, you can get a power one. Which is one up on the rest of us who have to go pop the darned thing out.

I hope whatever you decide, you'll be happy with your car and enjoy it a lot.

hunterbase
05-19-2003, 10:52 PM
i personally think that Honda's decision to put a sunroof in the back of the car is completely rediculous. And there's also the fact that it's only on the AWD models. C'mon, where's the logic? That only people who live in places with unpredictable weather need the extra venting?
Maybe, just maybe, they figured that everyone who goes camping in their E's sleeps with their head to the back of the car. And that they needed all-wheel drive (and 6 inches of clearance) to get to their camping place. I didn't. I also slept with my feet pointing to the back, come to think of it.
I know they mention somewhere that a surfboard fits in there. Has anyone actually used it for that? Anyone?
On the old Mitshubishi Montero, they put a huge sunroof mostly over the back seat. As told to me by a dealer, this was so people could stand up there and do outback stuff, like shoot things or look at them. That makes some sense. Honda says, well, it comes out for your surfboard.
the old Toyota Previa had dual sunroofs as an option, front and back. Now there's an idea. the Xterra has a sunroof that comes covered by a wetgoods rack. They include one that you can't even use.
the lack of a b-pillar does prob make for some unique bracing strategies. But I doubt the brace completely restricts a sunroof being places somewhere in the vicinity.
I own a 2 wheel-drive DX. I live in Louisiana, for now. I knew there was no roof hole of any kind when I bought it, but it still makes me sort of angry. Oh well. Wow, I just noticed how long my rant was. cool.

JeffFryYourRealEstateGuy
05-20-2003, 12:44 AM
at least if they were going to put it back there they could have made it power
Jeff

lon777
05-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Here's Honda's rationale for not putting in the sun/power moon roof:

1. Front sunroof - higher cost and structure concerns. Some companies are offering aftermarket power sunroofs - but i personally wouldn't disturb the body structure. The long term effects could be very bad.

2. Rear power moon roof - higher cost

I think we're forgetting the engineering goal of this car - provide functional, efficient transportaton to young people at a low cost. If power sun/moon roofs are a priority you might want to look elsewhere. The original concept was to keep this car as simple as possible.

Slowhand
05-20-2003, 08:32 AM
[quote:c1af8ca483="lon777"]
I think we're forgetting the engineering goal of this car - provide functional, efficient transportaton to young people at a low cost. If power sun/moon roofs are a priority you might want to look elsewhere. The original concept was to keep this car as simple as possible.[/quote:c1af8ca483]

I think you've nailed it. The base model seems to be just that, an inexpensive base that the young people can customize exactly as they wish/can afford to. (Now as to why the EX 2WD doesn't have them, I have no clue).

hunterbase
05-20-2003, 10:56 PM
you guys make some interesting points. I am in theory the customer the car is built for. I'm 24, I got the DX, put together my sound system through the aftermarket, and am waiting on purchasing wheels.
If a sunroof were a factory option, I would have checked the box without a moments thought. Instead, Honda chose to offer me a huge amount of optional junk I have no use for. What's with the tent? useless. the table is cute though.
All I'm saying is that it's a blaring oversight, not offering an optional front sunroof. unless it's because of the need for structural rigidity.

petelement
05-21-2003, 07:52 AM
I was parked in my E yesterday and it was sunny. As I turned around I noticed the nice greenhouse effect that back sunroof made. Besides all the reasons already discussed about it, I kind of think that putting the sunroof in the back was an artsy decision. I mean, don't engineers go to art school?

I don't mind having it in the back, I too wish they would of made the pop-up devise motorized. I'm hoping some aftermarket co. will design one. I would like to be able to open it, but close it if it gets to noisy. I noticed the same problem with the side pop windows. After stopping at the sea with all the windows open I drove off and in traffic noticed an increase in noise but I was unable to close the right window or the back sunroof until I decided to pull over.

Again, the E is "it" but, Honda you make great little electric motors; how much would it of cost to make that rear sunroof powered :? and 2-wheel drive E's also should have the option :idea: . What's the logic in not offereing it?

Peace

za9ra22
05-21-2003, 08:03 AM
In the end, we could all produce a list of things that we'd like our Es to have, but I recall from one of Honda's design briefs, a pretty clear statement that when costing the vehicle for manufacture, they had to make a number of compromises on preferred trim and options in order to meet the target MSRP. I'm not sure I think all those compromises were good ones, but the end result is a vehcile that I wanted to buy and could afford.

One of those compromises, as far as I can see, was replacing the Model X removable rear roof section with the rear moonroof. I laughed when I first saw this 'feature', but then I laughed when I first saw the E anyway. But the sense of space and the additional light in the back that the moonroof provides is pretty cool. Like a few others, I've sat in the back with a good book, waiting for a heavy rain storm to pass, and it's really rather a relaxing way to spend time!

Molasses
05-21-2003, 12:49 PM
I think the rear sunroof is the only way they could get close to the early concepts that were much more open in the back.

petelement
05-21-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm hip to the original design of the Model X. Here's a link showing it. That would of been very cool.

http://www.japandesign.ne.jp/HTM/REPORT/LA/07/07model-X.jpg