Why is it always... [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Why is it always...

PhyrePhoxe
12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Why is it always the pets with the best personalities seem to die young.

I just had to put to sleep my 7mon old cat. He had the best pesonality I have ever seen in a cat and I have had loads of cats in my life. He had congestive heart failure....

I have ferrets over the past few years. All of them were very funny to hang out with. However they have such short life spans my wife could not take it anymore having to put them to sleep every 6 years. So we got a two cats One three years ago and this one six months ago....

kissya
12-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Sorry for your loss...Its always hard when a family member passes......even when its a four legged one.

hiker chick
12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Why is it always the pets with the best personalities seem to die young.....

My condolences, Phyre, on your loss. And it is a painful loss. :sad:

I've had to put down a 14-year old Samoyed and a 9-week old two months after that. The loss of my 14-year old, was indescribably heart-wrenching despite being comforted knowing she had a long life, well-lived.

Although I'd known the 9-week old only since she was 2 weeks and had her full-time for a single week, that loss was horrendous, too. Congenital liver shunt. So severe, she never had a chance.

Can hardly bear to lose them. Don't want to live without them.

boneheadz
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
We are so sorry for your loss. Make sure you do a few nice things for yourself in the next little while.

Boneheadz, Kuma, Zen, Nikki and Tasha

The Rube
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. We had a dog die after many years of being a family member. About 8 mos ago my wife
surprised me with bringing home a kitten. At first I was upset that she just took it upon herself to bring home a stray - but - I gotta admit the cat has stolen my heart. He is so cool and the relationship between him and my wife is unbelieveable. Now I wouldn't give him up for the world. (By the way, my little son named him "Knuckles")

PVR
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
:-( I am so sorry for your loss.

We recently went through a similar experience - we had to destroy our 3 yr old Lab/Golden Retriever because of congenital joint deterioration. She was just getting out of puppyhood (Golden's take a long time to mature) and was turning out to be a wonderful dog.

One thing we have learned over the years, however, is that it is a good idea to replace a pet soon after a loss if you can. We now have Dexter, a 3 mo old Westie, and he is a real joy. He is helping us regain perspective about how precious life is.

Miss Ellie & Co.
12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Sorry too for your loss. Loosing a pet is so tough to deal with. For many of us it's loosing a part of yourself. I found some solace in a book that I read by Gary Zukav: " The Seat of the Soul " It's a very thought provoking and inspirational book. And there's a chapter on what he calls the "collective souls of animals". After reading it I felt much better about my pets passing away and had a greater understanding of what that might be all about. You may not find Gary's interpetations totally conclusive (many do) but clearly this is a man that has put an incredible amount of thought and wisdom into the souls of all living creatures and has given me a better way to look at the life and death of critters of all kinds.

PhyrePhoxe
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Thank you all.

I needed to let out something. Rufus will be missed. I had to make the call on my own because my wife was in NC for the week. Not going to call at 2am at her friends house who I don't know so she can just worry about something we have no control over. There were no warning signs that I could see. In the am when I went out to go climbing he was fine...when I got back he could not breathe with any ease. The doctor explained to me that everybody (humans also) have a reserve in the cardio system and once the reserve is used up you can crash real fast. His heart muscle was not as plyable as it should have been. Also the spaces in the heart that everyone has when they are born did not close so he was slowly pumpming fluid into the chest. Not much could be done. Giving a drug that would draw the fluid out would only put it off for a little while. Being that he was so young the doc told me it was genetic(sp?) and nothing could be done to stop what was happening.

Thank you all

symbasys
12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It's difficult to have to put a cherished pet down. I had to put a cat to sleep a couple years ago, and it still makes my eyes tear up when I think about it. Misty had been my pal for over 10 years. I have another cat now that I am very attached to. I know I will be a mess again when something happens to her.

RIP Misty:

kung
12-31-2005, 06:14 PM
That looks like my first cat. My neighbors stole him. Now I have dogs because they always find their way home.

Hondamade4dogs
12-31-2005, 10:50 PM
My dog smells of Funk ! What can i do...i think she is like 14....and its starting to smell weird. Any ideas ?

hiker chick
01-01-2006, 05:51 PM
My dog smells of Funk ! What can i do...i think she is like 14....and its starting to smell weird. Any ideas ?

Assuming this is not a hygiene problem, run don't walk to your veterinarian.

A few months for a dog is years in terms of human health, much can happen since your dog's last physical.

My 3 1/2 year old, Gidget, has already had baseline bloodwork so we can better track her liver and kidney functions in future annual workups.

My 14 year old Samoyed, Buck, went from apparently fine to being put to sleep in 4 months (after routine bloodwork indicated liver malfunctioning).

Congrats on having your pup live such a long life already. At 14, they need to be closely monitored to make sure they aren't suffering from any maladies. :oops:

When Gidget is older she'll be getting semi-annual blood workups, and more frequent when she's geriatric.

bsdowner
01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I lost Jubal Ferret on Christmas day - he was fine in the morning and dead late afternoon. He was only 4 years old. Vet could not save him.

Ferrets burn out fast - live fast, die young. It is so hard to loose one :cry:

So, I know too well what it is like to loose a beloved companion animal . . .

Hope we meet our companions at the Rainbow Bridge

Robcdnguy
01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
We are very sorry to hear about your loss.

Our thoughts are with you.

Rob, Jeff, Jed and Ellie May