Anyway to convince? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Anyway to convince?

soopa element
12-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Is there any way to convince my parents to let me get a dog?
My dad is allergic.
My mom says that she just hates dogs period.
And as for me.....
I love dogs and i'm not allergic to dogs either.
But however..... I live in an apartment currently. so not even sure if landlord would let me keep a dog.

IRV
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Patience Grasshopper. Your dog will come into your life when all is right for it to happen.:)

hiker chick
12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
I live in an apartment currently. so not even sure if landlord would let me keep a dog.

College student? Why do you need your parents' permission to get a dog?

If you need your parents' permission and they don't want one then wait until you're independently able to make the decision on your own and can afford the dog on your own. For starters, you may have to pay additional deposit on your apartment to have a dog there.

My advice is rather than seek to convince your parents, start researching what kind of dog you would like to have (little lap dog, athletic dog to run with, etc.) and think seriously about what kind of dog you are suited to have (high energy dogs need lots and lots of exercise which takes lots of time and energy to provide) and when you are able, you get your dog.

I walk (or run) my Samoyed for an hour in the morning, an hour at night and she is taken out at lunch. It can be a chore being a single working dog mom.:cool:

And you'd better be ready and able to drop a couple thousand at the vet in the event of an emergency or at least have that much room on a credit card.

I spent $2k on vet bills my pup's first year: recurrent bladder infections, spaying and vaccinations. During my 14-year old's last six months of life, I spent $200/month on medications in addition to periodic bloodwork, ultra-sounds, biopsy. And I was cooking her meals -- stir fry with organic chicken and vegetables.

They grab your heart and you'll want to do everything you can for them.

You've got all kinds of expenses: heartworm pills, flea topicals, etc., dog sitters/kennels...

Seems like everytime I go to the vet it's $200. And 2:00 a.m.

And, first and foremost, you should be prepared for a 15-year commitment.

I haven't given you the advice you sought because for the sake of dogs I would not talk anyone into getting one.

People need to want one so badly that they'll sacrifice time, convenience and money for a dog. It is heartbreaking how many dogs are in shelters because their owners changed their minds, again.

I hope it works out for you at some point and you get the dog of your dreams and you both live happily ever after. That will be worth waiting for. :)

P.S. if you would like to have quality dog time without the responsibility of ownership, there's a lot of demand for dog sitters. Also, many shelters need volunteer dog walkers. If you find a no-kill shelter then it will be a very positive experience and you will do a lot of pups a lot of good.

soopa element
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
College student? Why do you need your parents' permission to get a dog?

Sadly, I am living under my parent's roof right now because school isn't too far for me right now.

E_Ride
12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Sadly, I am living under my parent's roof right now because school isn't too far for me right now.

I guess you wont be getting a dog as long as you live under their roof. :rolleyes:

Box4Rox
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Soopa -

You're pretty close to Diamond Bar . . . The Inland Valley Humane Society is having a " 2-for-1" trade-in Christmas special . . . .

Two Parents for a Cool Dog. :cool:

Good pups come to those who wait; be patient.

Hope to see you at the Dec SoCal meet at Ricky and Ronnies on the 17th !

Box4Rox
12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
. . . My mom says that she just hates dogs period.
. . . I would tell "mom" to be careful and watch her back . . . :D

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/box4rox/Gidget1.jpg

Joe™
12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
This is only my opinion so don't hate me for stating it. If you live with your parents, and they don't want a dog, how are you going to afford and find the time to take care of it? Don't just get a pet because you want one, they are more of a responsibility than most people think. It's just like taking care of a person, they have tons of needs. They will change your whole lifestyle.

I'm not saying that you don't know this already, I just wanted to voice how I felt. All the time I see people getting pets, mostly parents getting them for the kids, and then realizing that between work, school, kids, and day to day activities, there is not much time left for the pet. Then they get rid of it, and most of the time, in the wrong way.

I just hate seeing the pet suffer because of the poor decisions made by the owners. And actually, you are not a pet owner, you are a caretaker, and people need to start thinking of it that way.

If you have the time and patience, and the love, I hope you find the perfect pet and live happily ever after. But if you don't, or you are not actually ready, please think twice before committing 15+ years to a pet's well being.

boneheadz
12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Patience Grasshopper. Your dog will come into your life when all is right for it to happen.:)

Best advice I have ever seen. Try volunteering at the shelter to hone your doggy skills and scratch the itch so to speak.

daryl

M1 1I 1K 1E
12-07-2005, 12:11 AM
theres also no telling what your dog will do to their house. i.e. "accidents" and other puppy things such as chewing on furniture. I would wait, because they really are a lot of work

soopa element
12-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Soopa -

You're pretty close to Diamond Bar . . .
Hope to see you at the Dec SoCal meet at Ricky and Ronnies on the 17th !

I go to school at Cal Poly Pomona. So I drive through there almost everyday. By the way where is the meet at?

Box4Rox
12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
hey, hey, hey - Cal Poly SLO myself :)

Here's the meet info - I may bring my new puppy/big dog wanna-be (and after you see him in action, it may convince you that you really don't want a dog after all . . . :roll: )

:arrow: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18842

soopa element
12-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be there. By the way, I've been looking at the Miniature Schnauzer, West Highland White Terrier, the Yorkshire Terrier, and the Australian Terrier. I really love the Pomeranian but as long as I live under the roof of my parents, that dog is a definite no no.

hiker chick
12-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be there. By the way, I've been looking at the Miniature Schnauzer, West Highland White Terrier, the Yorkshire Terrier, and the Australian Terrier. I really love the Pomeranian but as long as I live under the roof of my parents, that dog is a definite no no.

Great little pups! You'll be needing a carry bag for one of those, too. My friends with Yorkies and toy poodles have cute shoulder bags for their pups and take them everywhere.

There's no way when I was in college that I could have done a dog justice. If you were at Georgetown U. or GW I'd say meet me and Gidget on the mall for a scooter run and let's see if you'd be dog sitter material so you could be a part-time dog person! DC also has a great no-kill shelter that needs volunteer dog walkers.

My, and Gidget's, favorite dog sitter is a young woman who loves dogs but does not feel she can do right by one full-time so she gets her dog fix, and extra cash, by dog sitting.

Especially because you're living at home and could probably use some private time, I urge you to look into advertising yourself for dog sitting. That usually entails house sitting, and if you're good you'll be a regular.

We dog peops treasure good dog sitters like moms do nannies. :)

If you still feel this strongly about getting a dog when you graduate, that should be a big present to yourself.

And if you bring a cute dog your are sitting home to meet your parents... maybe they'll start to come around. A pup would help them deal with empty nest syndrome when you're completely out of there.

Box4Rox -- that is hysterical! :D

mizsydney
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Is there any way to convince my parents to let me get a dog?
My dad is allergic.
My mom says that she just hates dogs period.
And as for me.....
I love dogs and i'm not allergic to dogs either.
But however..... I live in an apartment currently. so not even sure if landlord would let me keep a dog.

oh no.

"let me get a dog?" is not the best way to begin your new relationship.

this is a major commitment, time-wise, financially, and emotionally. would you say "Is there any way to convince my parents to let me get a baby?" but they are so cute! and make such a great accessory! I can buy it cute little clothes!

it doesn't sound like you have enough time for a dog right now. LISTEN to the advice from the other members. volunteer at a shelter, dog-sit, ask your friends if you can "borrow" their dog for a day or two to get a feel for it. even better if you know someone with a puppy! puppies are practically a full-time job in themselves. I thought I wanted a second dog until I puppy-sat for ONE weekend. that changed my mind pretty quick! for a while anyway.

if you are unable to make a full-time guardian commitment right now, please wait until you can. there is nothing sadder than a dog whose owners don't have time for him. just ask my neighbor's dog, Moses. he spends his whole life in the back yard. once a day someone opens the back door and dumps chow in his pan and goes right back inside. he stares at the back door all day waiting for a bit of attention. every time he can escape his yard, the poor guy runs to our house. the neighbor has to carry him (50+ lbs) home because Moses is so relucant to leave our house. that's no life for any dog. sure, he's not tied or beaten or starving. but he isn't happy, either.

it's not about you. it's about the dog. if you can't commit, quit.

my 2 cents -

DOGBOX
12-07-2005, 02:47 PM

SOOPA--I feel your pain. To love dogs and not be able to have one is really, really tough. I had mini schnauzers for years. They are terrific little dogs, and they can win anybody's hearts--maybe even your mom's. But don't count on it. I am totally into dogs, and have had them (usually 3-5 at a time) my whole life. But both my brothers have married women who hate dogs. Won't even allow mine in the house when we visit, and I put them outside MY house when they come here. You can only watch your dog being dissed so many times.....and while, they ARE my brother's wives, and I love them in every other way, I just don't understand folks who don't like dogs.

My guess is it will only be MORE miserable for you, AND THE DOG, to try and live in your parent's house if they are allergic and if they don't like dogs. The dog would not understand that. Being the lovebugs that they are, they will keep looking at these folks wondering why THEY don't love it too. Your dog might even have to be kept in only part of the house to help your dad with his allergies. The dog wouldn't be happy.

So, sigh, sigh sigh. I DO feel your pain. But I just don't think a dog will work out real well for you at this time. Maybe in a few years when you are more independent. Sounds like it's not that far away....

In the meantime, you can make some good bucks housesitting and/or dogsitting. Wish you lived near me, I could use a good dogsitter!!!!

paulj
12-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Did someone say Australian Terrier?

I can say lots of good things about this breed, but I'm reluctant to claim it would solve all your problems. It doesn't need much grooming, it doesn't shed much, but that doesn't mean a person with dog-allergies wouldn't have problems. It fits well within an apartment, but still benefits from some good exercise. I try to get in an hour walk everyday. An AT puppy can be quite a (gloved) handful, though it will settle down by age 2. Finding a puppy might be hard, since it is one of the less known terrier breeds.

paulj

soopa element
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
My dad too is a dog person. It's just that the type of dogs he can be around is very limited. His allergies don't act up when he's around dogs that shed at a minimal but if it sheds alot, then his allergies kick in. We've spent a whole day at a family friend's house who has a mix breed between a maltese and a miniature poodle. My dad's allergies don't seem to mind. As far as I know, my mom doesn't have any allergies cause she was there with us the whole time and the dog was practically stuck to her the whole time too. Yet it seemed like she didn't mind. hm...:? As for now, I guess the best thing to do is be patient. And like people said, I don't want to give the puppy a hard time either. I guess the main reason that I do want a dog for is that being the only child of the family since I was born, I want to have a long term companion by my side.

hiker chick
12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
being the only child of the family since I was born, I want to have a long term companion by my side.

Awwwww!!! That should've been your lead-in with your parents! :)

Gidget's my dog child but you're going to have a dog-bro. Or sis. Or both.

When do you expect to be on your own?

PVR
12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
... By the way, I've been looking at the Miniature Schnauzer, West Highland White Terrier, the Yorkshire Terrier, and the Australian Terrier. ...

We LOVE our new Westie. One thing about terriers - they sure have attitude. We have taken to calling Dexter "the Big D" cause he has so much self-esteem! As Paul said, they do settle down after a couple of years but they can be a handful.

As others have said, patience is a virtue. Terriers, in particular, tend to live a LONG time so you need to be at a place in your life that you can make that committment.

IRV
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I guess the main reason that I do want a dog for is that being the only child of the family since I was born, I want to have a long term companion by my side.
Not being smart here, have you considered a cat. Lots more indepentant than a dog, still a great companion. Just a thought. (We have both, + a trantulla, don't ask me why.):)

air1mtt
12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
you don't need a dog that your parents will end up taking care of when you grow tired of it. Like in about three days. Get an iPod instead

DOGBOX
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
We LOVE our new Westie. One thing about terriers - they sure have attitude. We have taken to calling Dexter "the Big D" cause he has so much self-esteem! As Paul said, they do settle down after a couple of years but they can be a handful.

As others have said, patience is a virtue. Terriers, in particular, tend to live a LONG time so you need to be at a place in your life that you can make that committment.

OMG is Dexter soooo cute. But, yep, my schnauzers lived until 17 years old each. I've had five schauzers. They have a little less attitude than a typical terror, but only by a notch.

Now PVR, can you imagine a terrier living in a house where SOMEBODY didn't like it??? HAH! They wouldn't put up with that S**T for one minute. My guess is, Soopa's mom and the terrier would be in an all-out knockdown from day one. With dad sniffling in the background.

Soopa, sounds like you kinda have figured it out already, unfortunately, you gotta wait just a tad bit more.

Empire
12-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Dude, living dogs are a pain in the ass. They sh!t, p!ss, sh!t, barf, sh!t, bark, sh!t, shed, sh!t, tear sh!t up, sh!t, eat their sh!t, eat other dogs sh!t, then they sh!t out that sh!t, then they just die.......and then you feel like sh!t.
Problem solved:

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3584/aibo5bn.jpg

Sony Aibo

Limited edition color with unique camouflaged ear design
Speaks 1,000 words, and understands 100+ words. Also understands some Spanish words and phrases
Reacts in smarter ways by using short term memory
Built-in wireless connectivity: remote control, music player, news reader, scheduler and diary
Keeps diary with pictures and is able to read e-mail or blog content
House sitting (video and photo recording)

Practically noone else will have one, you'll be the cool kid on the block, no vet bills, no hair to shed, no allergies, you're mom will love it, if he "dies" you just recharge him, let a cute chick borrow him for the nite but don't mention the secret video cam (winnk, wink, nudge, nudge) and best of all.....no freakin sh!t to clean up!

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=aibo_AIBOs_7%2fWSeries&Dept=computers&DCMP=Google_AIBO&HQS=robot_dog

A bit expensive at $1999 for the black or white models and $2099 for the limited edition champagne brown model pictured here but hell people can easily spend that on a "non-robotic" dog if they get hurt/sick and they still might die.

If you like this idea come to me when you want children. Our very own Honda has Asimo available for you (he can actually run now! An actual running robot!)
www.honda-robots.com (http://www.honda-robots.com)

hiker chick
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Dunno, Empire. It just wouldn't be the same without anal glands.

:cool:

Box4Rox
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Dude, living dogs are a pain in the ass. They sh!t, p!ss, sh!t, barf, sh!t, bark, sh!t, shed, sh!t, tear sh!t up, sh!t, eat their sh!t, eat other dogs sh!t, then they sh!t out that sh!t, then they just die.......and then you feel like sh!t. . .
That is exactly what Lord Vader would say. :)
Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . Strong the Dark Side is with this one I fear . . .

Empire
12-07-2005, 09:25 PM
That is exactly what Lord Vader would say. :)
Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . Strong the Dark Side is with this one I fear . . .
well, I was originally going to recommend an Imperial issue MSE-6 Mouse Droid but most folks don't find them "cute" enuff.

Now who honestly wouldn't want to cuddle this?
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/159/msedroid2vh.jpg

Joe™
12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I would! Where can I get one!? My ship is in the shop so I can't travel...can one be shipped to my home world?

IRV
12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Don't forget the chewing. Chew the kids toys, chew the furniture. Had a puppy chew up my eye glasses. (It was a love thing.)
Or the digging, especally Terriers. Kept one of daughters Pit Bull Terrier for four or five months.(She had to move, so the dog ends up at our place till she "gets settled"). Backyard looked like a Civil War battlefield.
Or the "Escape Artist". Had a Siberian Huskey pup who could climb a four foot fence and run down to the grade school. Once went to pick him up at at a house (By now the Police Dept and me are on first name basis: "My dog escaped", "We'll call you when someone calls"). So I go to this house, my four year old kid in the car, and a skin head answers the door. "If that was my dog, I'd take better care of it". Thank you for help!!
Finally this dog escapes one day as Mrs. IRV is getting ready to leave for work. Tracks it down to a park, lady has him. Lady says, "I really like this dog". wife says "He's yours" , hands her the leash.

rant over, and we still love dogs.:)

soopa element
12-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Now who honestly wouldn't want to cuddle this?
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/159/msedroid2vh.jpg

Empire only you could cuddle something like that. Mmm.... Strong is the dark side of the force in this one i sense.

bobhch/hchbob
12-09-2005, 09:46 PM
We used to have a Border Collie and had to get rid of it. No more dogs!!!

Was our first dog and we did not make such a good choice. Border Collies are herding dogs. Brett Farve (our old dog) was very loving and friendly but, when we had kids he started to bite..:-x Bite is bad, very bad. Bye,bye doggie. Guess his herding instincts kicked in or something. We found a couple, via internet, that adopted Brett. They had no children and were very nice. We got lucky. Now just enjoy other peoples dogs.

Wait till you move out. If your parents don't want a dog then you should respect thier decision.:) Dogs are nice but, need lots of attention also. They depend on you for everything including companionship. Not against other people having pets. Other beeing the key word here.

SoloRiver
12-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Border Collies don't make the greatest pets for pets' sake, as they are working dogs. I have two. I know plenty who are doing well in families with small children, but their owners are dog people. For people who just want a casual pet that doesn't require much effort, they are a poor choice.

I could not have a dog of my own until I moved out on my own, after college. The waiting sucked, but my mother is very much not a dog person and it wouldn't have been fair to ask her to live with one. I used the time to do lots and lots of research and ended up with the perfect first dog. She was a Pomeranian who took me through most of grad school, went to classes with me, went to seminars with me, flew on planes and saw both coasts with me, and was generally the perfect dog. A rescue, too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~soloriver/harley.jpg

Now I have two Border Collies and a Papillon. They are the perfect dogs for me at this point in my life, but they (the Border Collies, anyway) are rather high maintenance. Most of my leisure activities involve dogs, so that's fine by me.

http://home.earthlink.net/~soloriver/crissybridgeportrait.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~soloriver/Flycovergirl.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~soloriver/tunnelboy.jpg

The more research you do, the better choices you'll make. Take the time now to do the research, and avoid making a poor choice you'll regret later.