Cage for the E [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Cage for the E

kung
12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have a cage for their E? I don't mean a doggy kennel, I mean a dividing cage, like in a police car? I have a chocolate lab who likes to bounce and a baby on the way. I want to avoid the dog stepping on the baby. We tried restraining the lab with a harness, and for three hours she flipped out and thrashed. It isn't going to work, so we thought maybe a bed in the cargo area and a cage to keep her there. Any suggestions?

seb
12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I've seen a couple of generic SUV barriers in Es, and they look like they work well. Look for one with vertical bars that are adjustable top and bottom for height.

hiker chick
12-29-2005, 02:56 PM
This is what I use. It is behind the front seats and accomplishes the formidable task of keeping my Samoyed, Gidget, in back.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7920&N=2001+113233

Other good options, including a much cheaper net (that I'm not familiar with):

http://www.carealotpets.com/dog-travel-outdoors-vehicle-barriers/

I've done a lot of business with Care-a-lot Pets and they are terrific. Have also done some with Drs Foster & Smith but they tend to be more expensive than Care-a-lot.

kung
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
You have actually used that cage to keep the dog back? I am really looking for something that has been used successfully, preferable to keep back grizzly bears. Keisha is an awesome force of nature. She in only 65 lbs, but STRONG. I am amazed every day at what she can destroy, run through, smash, etc. She isn't mean or anything, just VERY EXCITED all the time.

Thanks!

kilgoja
12-29-2005, 05:00 PM
i saw this on ebay...don't know if it works

Dom.five
12-29-2005, 05:44 PM
I simply train the dog to do what I want it to.

hiker chick
12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
You have actually used that cage to keep the dog back? I am really looking for something that has been used successfully, preferable to keep back grizzly bears. Keisha is an awesome force of nature. She in only 65 lbs, but STRONG. I am amazed every day at what she can destroy, run through, smash, etc. She isn't mean or anything, just VERY EXCITED all the time.

Thanks!

Gidget is 42 pounds and pulls me 10 miles on a scooter.

Her mother is 42 pounds and has pulled over 800 pounds in weight pull competitions.

The net works, if you secure it sufficiently.

hiker chick
12-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I simply train the dog to do what I want it to.

Can Gidget, my Samoyed, stay with you for awhile?

:wink:

likecoiledsteel
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I have an 8 month old Victorian Bulldog that is The Juggernaut. We have found out that there is nothing he cannot destroy. He has eaten/destroyed 5 beds so far. He is small but is 52 Lbs. and is built like a brick S%$#house. He cannot feal pain, he cannot be reasoned with (except with a doggy ice cream and/or peanut butter).

I am looking at getting a divider cage for him because he is all over the place in the E. He worked his way up to shotgun and began to chew on the gear shifter. I fear coming home to find the E's steering wheel around his neck without his knowledge.
Steel

hiker chick
12-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I have an 8 month old Victorian Bulldog that is The Juggernaut. We have found out that there is nothing he cannot destroy. He has eaten/destroyed 5 beds so far. He is small but is 52 Lbs. and is built like a brick S%$#house. He cannot feal pain, he cannot be reasoned with (except with a doggy ice cream and/or peanut butter).

I am looking at getting a divider cage for him because he is all over the place in the E. He worked his way up to shotgun and began to chew on the gear shifter. I fear coming home to find the E's steering wheel around his neck without his knowledge.
Steel

:razz:

One of Gidget's buds is a bulldog named Bruno. What a character. A muscle with legs.

Hondamade4dogs
12-30-2005, 06:31 PM
build one out of PVC pipe....

Chin
01-01-2006, 07:07 PM
We tried the Pet Net (or some other manufacturer's net...can't remember...but it was about $10-$15), and the dogs all laughed together as they went over, under and around it. They thought it was great fun. We have the back seats out, so the typical pet barriers don't work because of access problems through the side doors. Anyhow, after this debacle, I attached the top cords of the flexible net to the door latch plates in the headliner, and the bottom cords to the back bottom of the front seats...just kind of fish around to experiment with the best spots so the cords won't slip. Then I clipped a section of plastic X-Pen to the net which provided the needed rigid barrier, while still allowing the whole thing to bend and twist when moving the front seats back and forth, especially to enter and exit the back. It works.

bsdowner
01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
try a crate or seatbelt harness. Chance is trained to ride in the back seat. If he comes up front, I get on his case. A crate will restrict chewing.

The problem with the thing that blocks access to the front seat does not protect the dog from injury if there is an accident. The crate or seatbelt harness provides some degree of protection for the dog.

Bed chewing - try Orvis no-chew bed. Worked for Chance who destroyed 6 beds before I got the Orvis one.

kung
01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
If you read my original post, you would know that the seatbelt harness was a dismall failure. The crate is also a sore spot. She flips out when put into the crate.

I think she was constantly caged when very small. She hates it.

kalinka
01-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi
I am a new member here, I am still in the shopping phase and have never posted but wanted to jump in on this. Is your dog crate trained to begin with? If you have a baby on the way the crate is going to be your BEST friend. Trust me I do this all day long. If the dog is crate trained then just get a midwest wire crate and stick in the back of the E with the seats up. Start like that and THEN you will be able to move into something less bulky once she is used to being crated in the vehicle.

IF she is NOT crate trained do not start with it in the car. The last thing you want to do is introduce her the crate in the car and have her flip out and hate it You will have to start her off in the house and it has to be a fairly positive training. Overly excitable dogs have an off switch.. you just have to find it :cool:

Kalinka
New member researching the E

kung
01-04-2006, 08:31 AM
She HATES the crate. She is/was trained to be in it, but she flips out, crys, and then proceeds to destructive behavior (messes on the carpet, chewing things, etc) upon being released. We do NOT have these problems when the crate is not used. The crate is out. I appreciate your thoughts on the crate, but don't you think I would have gone with an easier solution first if it were available to me?

My beagle, on the other hand, LOVES her crate. I keep it under my desk in my office and she hangs out in it all the time, even with the door open. Different dogs, different personalities.

kalinka
01-04-2006, 11:22 AM
well... then there is kind of a multi level issue. First of all the dog has "won", she has you trained not to put her in the crate because the consequence of you putting her in there is enough to make you stop using it. It needs to kind of be the other way around and it absolutely can be retrained.

The crate is a form of restraint as is the halter seatbelt and she has made it clear she is going to pitch a fit. Thus if you find some sort of doggy barrier for the E, she is going to pitch a fit. The objective then is not to dance around the dog, it is for the dog to start dancing around you, putting you back in control of you "pack". I train a lot of dogs for people having babies and the scenario is usually the same as yours.

She needs to be crate trained again and it means that you are going to have to "win", which means that you are going to have to be willing to do what is needed to make that happen. The only thing I can tell you is that it is not that hard to do. I would be more than happy to talk you through it. Otherwise she is basically going to keep the same behavior no matter what kind of doggy barrier you put in the E.

Kalinka

kung
01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
I guess I have a fundament problem FORCING an animal to like being in a box. It's awfully Orwellian. YOU WILL BE CAGED, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT! I started a thread about the cage so that I could consider my options. Instead of answering the question asked, you proceed to lecture me about dog training. I am fully aware that I could force my dog to live in a box. I know that I must dominate, but I don't feel like it's worth it. I don't feel that I need to bully my dog when a simple barrier will do. She has no problem with a baby gate to keep her out of the kitchen, therefor it stands to reason that she would respect a gate in the Element. The box = trauma for her. I could put her back in it, but I won't.

Before you told me that you crate your dogs "all day long". Say it's no so! Doesn't that strike you as a bit cruel? I recognize the value of a crate, but it's not a place to store a dog when it's inconvenient to have a dog. A crate is supposed to be a safe retreat, not a holding cell. Because it's not that for my dog, I don't really use it. Rather than crate my dogs, I place them in a fenced-in yard during the day (and yes, they have a detatched garage to go get warm in).

As I said, my beagle likes her crate, but the labs don't really get into them. It's not worth the fight when there are other ways to achieve the same result.

kalinka
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
The only time my dog is crated all day is when we are at an agility show, she is crated in between her runs. There is always a crate open in my truck and one in the house and she goes in like your beagle.

I have never advocated forcing a dog into a crate, retraining for a crate is a rather fun game like activity where they go running into the crate and then run out and get cookies. I have had to retrain many dogs that had crate issues when they were forced in there and it felt like a punishment, I have never had a dog that did not happily retrain.

The metal pet barrier should work just fine in keeping her in the back, I was not trying to lecture you nor do I advocate being a bully to your dog. I was trying to help as I have seen this many times before. Sorry you took it the wrong way and hope you have success with your dog barrier.

Kalinka

hiker chick
01-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Trust me I do this all day long. Kalinka
New member researching the E

I read that to mean that Kalinka trains dogs all day long, not that she stuffs her dogs in crates all day long.

Kung - I think you have misconstrued and are being extremely ungracious to Kalinka -- an experienced dog trainer (professional?) who generously offered you the benefit of her experience. And she's new to EOC so I am especially sorry that she is on the receiving end of this.

Everything she has advised rings true and wise to me.

Maybe your dog views your Element as a crate and therefore you should leave them at home. :shock:

Unless you are willing to invest time and energy giving them positive reinforcement for temporary confinement.

My Gidget loves her crate and insists on sleeping in it every night, all night. The crate door is always open. I had actually wanted to rid my decor of the big black metal crate but it's Gidget's den.

Good luck to you both - on the dog and the search for an E.

Kalinka, thank you for your generosity and tolerance.

:)

kalinka
01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes that is correct I am a dog trainer, that is what I do all day long. I do regular pet training, I train dogs for special needs people and I train dogs for competition.
Maybe my message was misconstrued :( That is just the way it goes some times. I suppose it was not the most stellar first post to this list on my part!!

Kalinka

kung
01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry if I was rude. I meant no harm.

kalinka
01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
No problem and no harm done