maintenance help! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: maintenance help!

entp24
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
hi people. i'm a bit confused. the element is my first car that i'm taking care of. i'm not a car guy either.

i'm confused with the various maintenance suggestions that came with my car. I am at 7600 miles. My dealer's suggested maintenance form has 3,750 mile=oil change (free... already did that). 7,500 for minor service. and 11,250 for oil change. then 15,000 for intermediate service.

the honda service history book and owner's manual has the first maintenance at 10,000 miles for oil change, rotate tires. I don't think anyone here waits until 10,000 miles though.

Then, the good year tire care and maintenance guide suggests 6,000 mile tire rotation.

What is my dealer's "minor service"? (my dealer is honda world) Do I need to do that, or is it a way for them to take advantage of paranoid new owners. I've gotten an oil change at 4,000 miles. should I get one now and submit to this "minor service" or wait until 10,000? what are you guys doing?

Thanks for any help.

entp24
12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
okay i just saw the other thread about oil changes at 5-10k for most people. since I got my first oil change at 4,100, I think i'll wait until 10,000. then i'll rotate tires also.

still, what is this minor and intermediate service at 7,500 and 15,000 recommended by the dealer?

Ranger
12-29-2005, 03:11 PM
okay i just saw the other thread about oil changes at 5-10k for most people. since I got my first oil change at 4,100, I think i'll wait until 10,000. then i'll rotate tires also.

still, what is this minor and intermediate service at 7,500 and 15,000 recommended by the dealer?

Simply put...it's a load of crap designed to separate one who does not know better from his money.

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.
Dealers want you to come in for unnecessary and overpriced service because they are there to make money.

Here's a tip though...
If you plan on going 5000 between oil changes, I'd just go 5000 between tire rotations as well and do them at the same time.
It's more convenient and much easier to remember than oil changes at 5-10-15-20 and tire rotation at 6-12-18-24-etc.

Dom.five
12-29-2005, 03:52 PM
I also will stay with the 5000 mile service. I do on my CRV, And will on the E as well do oil and tires at the same time.

Bald Eagle
12-29-2005, 03:56 PM
The first time I went to the dealer (for a 10K oil change) the bill was a little stiff. I asked them "how come" and they listed a bunch of inspections and other bullsh*t that were just service "packs" to run up the tab. When I took it back at 15K (primarily because I also had a warranty item I wanted them to look into) I specifically told them that I just wanted the recommended service in the owner's manual. Much different...and less costly...result.

Every 5K miles I visit a Valvoline oil change place that seems to do a competent job (workmanship varies widely in these places), and I replace my own air filters (engine and cabin) and wiper blades to avoid getting reamed for those trivial tasks. The dealer will still probably see the Element at 30K intervals for "by the book" service, but no fuel injector cleaner, muffler flush, preventative bulb replacement, transmission oil performance booster, license plate fasterner torque inspection....

paulj
12-29-2005, 04:08 PM
I have no idea what a 'minor service' is if isn't an oil change.

I've gotten a 'lube and oil' from my dealer (at a price similar to a 'jiffy') on a 5-8,000 interval, closer to 5 if my driving is mostly urban, closer to 8 if there has been a good chunk of highway driving (e.g. vacation). The dealer offered a 'bigger' package at 30,000, but the extras weren't much, so I stuck with the basic oil change. I'm getting tire rotations through my tire dealer.

paulj

jdiane
12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
today I got a flyer from my dealer that advertised "winter savings for your 2003 Element" that promised 10% off "minor scheduled maintenance" and 10% off "major scheduled maintenance." And no list of what minor or major consists of... :confused: :confused: which is why I will go to a different dealer for my next oil change/ tire rotation... :x

kilgoja
12-29-2005, 08:09 PM
i change my oil every 5,000 miles and rotate my tires every 10,000 miles

wankerklink
12-30-2005, 08:34 AM
AS the E sees 85% highway driving and uses Mobil1, oil changed and tires rotated at 7500 +/-.

kona853
01-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I've used the 5k "rough duty" service schedule since I got the car 64k miles ago. My Element sees some stop and go traffic and a few dirt roads, but it's mostly interstate miles. I'm just anul about maintenance.

3_3rdHonda
01-02-2006, 11:14 AM
today I got a flyer from my dealer that advertised "winter savings for your 2003 Element" that promised 10% off "minor scheduled maintenance" and 10% off "major scheduled maintenance." And no list of what minor or major consists of... :confused: :confused:

which is why I will go to a different dealer for my next oil change/ tire rotation... :x

The reason they give you incomplete info is to prompt you to call them so they can get info like name, address, etc [you are valuable...you are someone who responded to their mailer and they want to target you for more], also they want to give you a sales pitch on the phone, and scare you about what happens if you don't take their maintenance.

joeBoxer
01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
for what it's worth dept: i do all my oil changes every 3k with mobil one and a mobil one filter and my tire rotations at 6k. i also do them at the local honda dealer's quick lube section where i can watch them do it and get the added benefit of each service showing up on all carfax reports that ever get pulled on my vin. needless to say, i would expect a long life for any engine taken care of this well.

Stormgod
01-08-2006, 07:57 PM
My dealer matches the price the local walmart charges for a oil change AND they wash the E for free anytime I drive by. They have added an automated drive thru wash just for their owners.