Non-engine-starting, door-only key [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Non-engine-starting, door-only key

Pearly Sunset
01-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I would like to have a key included as a standard accessory without the fancy chip, so that it can be worn when canoeing, sailing or swimming and gotten wet. A person would lock the real key in the car and would wear the door only one on a lanyard inside a bathing suit or shirt. The chipless key would let them back in to get the driving key and keyless entry fob.

This coming summer, either I will use the valet key and ruin it for car starting, or I will get a key cut and not programmed, paint it some odd color, so I know which is is, and use it that way. I wouldn't put the good key and keyless fob in the glove box. I don't lock the glove box. It normally only has sunglasses and maps in there. Then using the valet key for that would not be a problem. Valets, which I don't run into often, would get a regular key. It would be nice to have a key included that was already made for this.

When I had my old Olds Silhouette, my previous car, I had an extra key made from blank with a thinner top than the factory one, and it was my water sports key. The keyless entry and the thicker keys went into my hiding place, and I locked them in the car.

Grabloop
01-04-2006, 05:20 AM
The dealership can cut you a door only key for around $12.

lizzurd
01-04-2006, 02:56 PM
You do have the option of having a regular key cut with out having it reprogrammed or...ask your dealer if they can make you one of these....

liv2surf
11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
The dealership can cut you a door only key for around $12.

That is great news and what I was searching for here on the forum. I am a coldwater kiteboarder + surfer and my wetsuits all have a convenient key pocket in the leg. so, I have always surfed with a key in the keypocket or on a string around my neck that let me unlock the door (and in the case of my 1995 Pathfinder, it also started the engine just fine). Now I will have the key and remote inside the car.

Maybe I will also stash the valet key as a hide-a-key for emergencies.

Locksmith
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I would like to have a key included as a standard accessory without the fancy chip, so that it can be worn when canoeing, sailing or swimming and gotten wet. A person would lock the real key in the car and would wear the door only one on a lanyard inside a bathing suit or shirt. The chipless key would let them back in to get the driving key and keyless entry fob.

This coming summer, either I will use the valet key and ruin it for car starting, or I will get a key cut and not programmed, paint it some odd color, so I know which is is, and use it that way. I wouldn't put the good key and keyless fob in the glove box. I don't lock the glove box. It normally only has sunglasses and maps in there. Then using the valet key for that would not be a problem. Valets, which I don't run into often, would get a regular key. It would be nice to have a key included that was already made for this.

When I had my old Olds Silhouette, my previous car, I had an extra key made from blank with a thinner top than the factory one, and it was my water sports key. The keyless entry and the thicker keys went into my hiding place, and I locked them in the car.

Do you have the key code? I could cut you one and send it to you... you pay shipping.

Pierre

dog-e
11-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Do you have the key code? I could cut you one and send it to you... you pay shipping.

Pierre

Can you (or the dealer) make a key that's just the thickness of the metal? With my old car I always carried a spare key in my wallet on the off chance that my dogs locked me out of the car (it happened once!). The fat Honda keys just won't work that way. Like the OP, I only need a door key.

liv2surf
11-26-2007, 01:30 AM

Pierre

Since I bought my car slightly used I did not receive the metal tag with keycode, but I did find my keycode handwritten on p.1 of the the Honda Service History 'workbook'). Can the keycode be confirmed using VIN or stock number ?).

I guess if I had an inexpensive key cut and it worked, it would serve as a relatively low-risk test to confirm that the handwritten keycode is correct.

would a key that you could cut be metal only (e.g. thin as possible for an E key) ?

Thanks,

Old Blue
11-26-2007, 01:35 AM
where does one typically find the keycode ? I will look in my manual and paperwork.

It's a small, barcoded tag that should have been attached to one of your key sets

Locksmith
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Can you (or the dealer) make a key that's just the thickness of the metal? With my old car I always carried a spare key in my wallet on the off chance that my dogs locked me out of the car (it happened once!). The fat Honda keys just won't work that way. Like the OP, I only need a door key.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I made one for myself and I keep it hidden under the car, just in case.

I can make them from the key code very easily, the vin doesn't do me any good since I don't have access to Honda database. A close up pic of the key along with the code is all I'd need to make sure the code is right.

The key code can be found on the original key tag, sometimes it's written in the owners manual and it's stamped on the passenger side door lock. The code series is K001-N700... meaning it will always start with K L M or N and have three numbers between 1 and 700.

Pierre

ramblerdan
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
If you can't find the key code, you will have to go to a Honda dealer with the car's VIN and ask to have a "practice key" cut. Apparently there is no Honda part number, as it's considered a special tool, not a part. Some countermen will know just what to do; others will give you a blank stare. Hopefully one of the employees in Parts or Service will understand.

Edit: The Ilco number on the blank Locksmith illustrates above is H001-SVC.

Old Blue
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
and it's stamped on the passenger side door lock. The code series is K001-N700... meaning it will always start with K L M or N and have three numbers between 1 and 700.

I learn something new every day - Mahalos! :)

remilk
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I completed the mod for using the Acura switchblade key. This left me with a 'donor' key that had no chip. I was wondering what to do with this 'donor' key. After a couple of weeks, I hit upon the solution, that would make this my emergency entry key.

I need to ovecome a major concern. I did NOT want a key in the glove box or readily accessible that could be used to start my E.

I ended up taking a 'good' key and hiding it behind a panel in the 'E'. I know where it is and can get to it in seconds without using any tools. I think it would take someone quite a while to find the key. There are many good places inside an E to hide a key.

I put the emergency key, the former 'donor' key, in a key safe with a strong magnet and have it attached to the car body. Again, I put it where it cannot be seen or easily felt, but I can get right at it.

When I went scuba diving this summer, I took this emergency key with me. I secured it inside one of the zipper pockets on my BC. It was firmly attached, not loose in the BC pocket.

This worked well for me.

Good Luck,
Bob

elementincanada
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Which dealerships would cut keys for $12????

I would love this idea for watersports... the only problem is I just imported my vehicle from the US to Canada and Im not sure if my Canadian dealerships can produce this key. I did save a ton of $$$$ though, thanks to http://www.importcar2canada.com/car_import_duties_and_how_to_avoid_them/

lizzurd
12-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Which dealerships would cut keys for $12????

I would love this idea for watersports... the only problem is I just imported my vehicle from the US to Canada and Im not sure if my Canadian dealerships can produce this key. I did save a ton of $$$$ though, thanks to http://www.importcar2canada.com/car_import_duties_and_how_to_avoid_them/

As long as we have an original to trace or have your key code we can cut your key no problem.

Connor
01-01-2008, 03:30 AM
i saw something a while ago that was a box that went into the trailer hitch and you put your key in there and it had a combination lock to it

Free_man_E
01-02-2008, 02:07 AM
The Honda dealer also has a key blank that has no plastic on it, this
makes it thinner.
Here's what it looks like.

Also see my post about the locking gas cap.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=526290&postcount=63

ramblerdan
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
^ Yes, that is the "practice key."

Locksmith
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I now have my own high security key machine, meaning I no longer have to go to the boss to do these. I have figured that $25 for one $35 for two seems to be a good price point for me to cover supplies, shipping and my time. If you're interested e-mail me(which is also my paypal) with an address, the key code and a pic of the key is helpful to make 100% sure the code is right. If you don't have the code it should be stamped on all the locks except the glove box lock. Personally I think the hatch lock is the easiest to remove.

cheers
Pierre

Cyclist_306
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Locksmith, great idea. When I go bicycling I use on e of these keys. I have one in my seat bag and another in a secret location in the car. I bought mine at my local dealer for about $10 each. I will open the door and that's all I need. Before that I used the valet key. I was worried about getting the remote messed up through sweat or rain. Works great.

Locksmith
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep, that's the whole idea. You're one of the lucky ones who has a dealer like that. I've heard from one guy who said his dealer wanted $60 for one of these. That's just way too much.

cheers
Pierre

psc
01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I now have my own high security key machine, meaning I no longer have to go to the boss to do these. I have figured that $25 for one $35 for two seems to be a good price point for me to cover supplies, shipping and my time.

I can vouch for Pierre's work. As an avid windsurfer, I desperately need bare keys that can sit in salt water. Pierre made two from the the service key blanks, and shipped them out right away.

For those of you who need extra keys and have greedy st(d)ealers that want to charge an arm and leg, Pierre is the man. :cool:

Peter

GaryS
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Has anyone dunked their key (accidentally of course) and had it work afterward? I ask because on another car forum (Mazda) there was a discussion on this topic started by an owner who inadvertently left his chipped key in his pocket when he went water skiing. He was amazed that it still started the car after the experience. His remote for the doors however required time to dry out before working again.

Old Blue
01-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Has anyone dunked their key (accidentally of course) and had it work afterward? I ask because on another car forum (Mazda) there was a discussion on this topic started by an owner who inadvertently left his chipped key in his pocket when he went water skiing. He was amazed that it still started the car after the experience. His remote for the doors however required time to dry out before working again.

I take the valet key out all the time in the water (ocean) when body boarding - couple of hours each session.

Then I get in the E and drive away w/ the same key...been doing it for 2 years no issue...

Copper
01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Radio Frequency IDentification technology is extreamly durable and under normal circumstances should not be affected by exposure to water. They are sealed very well and will hold up to a lot of abuse.

They don't contain any battery to short out if they get wet. Sealed RFID "chips" are being implanted in pets.:shock: These will hold up for decades inside a body. I'm sure that a little sweat is a non-issue.

Adamxa
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
i am at my honda dealer right now. getting two keys cut and programed.
and i asked for a door only key and the sales person had to go ask the service tech.
they both came back and told me that they do not make door only keys.
it even needs a chip to unlock the door.:confused:

which i know is not ture since i remeber reading that other memebers have had once cut

is there a part number for the door only key?

or am i out of luck here and should go find a locksmih that can cut one for me

lizzurd
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
i am at my honda dealer right now. getting two keys cut and programed.
and i asked for a door only key and the sales person had to go ask the service tech.
they both came back and told me that they do not make door only keys.
it even needs a chip to unlock the door.:confused:

which i know is not ture since i remeber reading that other memebers have had once cut

is there a part number for the door only key?

or am i out of luck here and should go find a locksmith that can cut one for me

Since your dealer is seems to be clueless i would try a locksmith or another dealer. Or you can print off this picture and take it to the dealer and tell them you want one of these. WE call them practice keys. Chances are they will still tell you they don't have them.

Adamxa
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks lizzurd for the quick response.
i plan on trying a locksmith next time. and it will be cheaper then the dealership
and they will probaly know what i am talking about to, instead of giving me a blank stare of "what is a door only key" and "pratice key".

Locksmith
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I've heard prices from $10 to $60. If your local dealer/locksmith is one of the higher priced ones, I can cut one from the key code and mail it to you for $25.

cheers
Pierre

fcz1
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I believe they also call them "valet keys", and I have one for my '05.

special k
01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
The Valet Key will start the car, just not unlock the glove box or (in the case of my older Honda Accord) the trunk.

jsitar
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I had "Locksmith", (see post #4 above) make me a door only key. Quality work, fast shipping. All he needs is your key code.

psschmied
04-12-2009, 11:20 PM
A valet key sans the correct functioning chip won't start the engine. Any locksmith who has a key blank of the same section profile can cut a mechanical duplicate of your valet key to produce a side door only key.

gibroni
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't understand at all why you want a door only key. Isn't that what the remote door opener is for?

breese524
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't take the remote swimming, it'll short out. I can totally see why one would want a door only key.

EinVT
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Why do you need to swim with a door only key ...can't you swim with a normal key? I actually prefer swimming with ladies....

Regardless, that blank key looks very familiar. I found one inside of one of the 3 keys that came with my used '05 (that I got last week!). I wanted to keep a spare key in my wallet for those unfortunate times I lock my keys in the car. I used a disc sander to get all of the gray plastic off (the other keys were black ...perhaps it was the valet key?). Fortunately the coded insert appeared to stay intact and handle the abuse reasonably well. It does still start the car, even.

Anyone know what happens if you try to start the car with a door only key ...or one not coded correctly or at all? Does it just not start? Or go into some sort of lock-down mode that needs a special recovery? I was a little concerned about that.

lizzurd
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Why do you need to swim with a door only key ...can't you swim with a normal key? I actually prefer swimming with ladies....

A non-chipped key is a fraction of the cost of a chipped key.

Anyone know what happens if you try to start the car with a door only key ...or one not coded correctly or at all? Does it just not start? Or go into some sort of lock-down mode that needs a special recovery? I was a little concerned about that.

Other than the starter cranking the engine untill you release the key nothing will happen. The engine may actuall run for about a second or two until the immobilzer shuts it down.

GaryS
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I can't take the remote swimming, it'll short out.
True, but water won't hurt your ignition key.

nacranym
04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
i was able to purchase a couple of door-only blanks on ebay and had a local locksmith cut them for me. it took him awhile, so i don't think he'd done it that many times. but they both will unlock the doors, but won't start the engine, since they have no chip. blank keys on ebay were a few bucks, i can't remember the exact cost. i think it was $20 or $30 to have them cut. this was a couple years back.
i didn't want to take a chip'd key into the ocean w/ me, because, eventually, salt water gets into everything. and if it's sealed something, there's no way to flush the salt water out.

Basset Box
04-25-2009, 01:38 AM
why are you swimming with keys? There has to be a waterproof bag you could put the key in if you are worried about it being damaged. I don't even think the key would have a problem getting wet by looking at it. Do you swim with your towel, clothes and shoes too? ;-)

nacranym
04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
1 don't wear shoes, and leave the other stuff in the vehicle. <grin>
that's why i need a key to open it after playing w/ the surf while in the kayak. well, hopefully, most of the surf stays out of the kayak, but the surf that finds its way in would certainly find anything electronic that can't take exposure to salt water.
something about Murphy's Law.

Adamxa
04-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I don't understand at all why you want a door only key. Isn't that what the remote door opener is for?

i needed a door only key. so when i lock my keys in my car i can open it cause the door only key is small enough to fit in my wallet and i dont need to call a lock smith to come let me in.. and i can start my car on cold days and lock my doors so no one steals my E

Basset Box
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
that's why i need a key to open it after playing w/ the surf while in the kayak. well, hopefully, most of the surf stays out of the kayak, but the surf that finds its way in would certainly find anything electronic that can't take exposure to salt water.

There is a very simple solution. Get a huge antenna and tie the key to the end of it. :D If you don't wear shoes and the rest is left in the car... are we talking about naked kayaking? :shock:

07lmnt
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Sometimes it seems we are surrounded by clue-less.

You want/need a key to keep with you while your doing your sport. I have a practice key that I keep in my Camel-back. I only use it to open the door after cycling.

Simple enough:rolleyes:

Whats a camel-back???

MyWheels
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
My dealer only gave me one key to my E and a remote........ and it has no rear headrests....
probably need to get this fixed :neutral:

mkh
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, get them to take care of that. Likely the previous owner didn't know how to fold up the rear seats against the sides properly, so decided they had to take off the head-rests to do it, and just left them off. Tell the dealer it is a safety/legal requirement, if they give you any grief. - ie. they sold you a vehicle that doesn't comply with DOT safety regs. And the keys are pricy if you have to buy them yourself.

NV_05_AWD
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Tell the dealer it is a safety/legal requirement, if they give you any grief. - ie. they sold you a vehicle that doesn't comply with DOT safety regs. And the keys are pricy if you have to buy them yourself.

I'l second that, just let the DMV get a hold of the fact that they "knowingly" sold you the vehicle with-out the head rests !!!!!

mentalmike999
05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
2004 Element. No alarm just the key microchip thing

I need a key to unlock my door or hatchback, so it doesnt need to programed or have the microchip in it. Just need a key cut to match mine. Where can i get this? Will the dealers do this? The dealer i went to said they dont do that.

Some person told me home depot will make a copy of mine, is that true?

dorienc
05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
A lockshop cut one for me. The dealer COULD do it, he just doesn't want to for some unfathomable reason.

MyWheels
05-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys, we are sending the dealership a letter by mail telling them to get us headrests. Im hoping we don't have to take it to the DMV, but its a used car dealer so you never know.

CompuDude
05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
why are you swimming with keys? There has to be a waterproof bag you could put the key in if you are worried about it being damaged. I don't even think the key would have a problem getting wet by looking at it. Do you swim with your towel, clothes and shoes too? ;-)

This thread is awesome. I finally can get a wet key without paying a fortune for one!

I, for one, scuba dive regularly. Shore diving, means I leave my car locked up in the parking lot while I head down to dive. If I want to get back in afterwards, I need a key outside of car. Hiding one somewhere outside is rarely a good idea... you need to bring it with you into the water.

I need a key that will let me take it to significant depths (150' +) without suffering any damage. Taking electronics, such as the remote fob, into the ocean, will KILL it immediately. Taking a key with a functional, programmed chip into water is risking damage to it as well, and the dealer charges quite a bit to reprogram a new chipped key (also expensive). There are companies that make waterproof boxes, but the only ones that will RELIABLY keep your stuff dry (you don't want to risk not being able to get back into your car after a long dive!) after diving to extreme depths are both expensive and bulky, neither of which is good. The cheap boxes are notorious for leaking at relatively shallow depths, let alone at 100'+ depths.

My dealer wanted over $100 to give me a "spare" key. Claimed chipped keys were the only option. To program it would cost even more!

So having an inexpensive, dumb metal key that does nothing but open the door, and is completely unharmed by getting wet, is extremely handy. In an emergency, if someone was injured and I needed immediate access to my Oxygen kit and/or cell phone (911), I'd be reduced to smashing a window to get in. If a dumb wet key can be produced cheaply enough, I can avoid this, and even have a second one made to hand to my buddy in case they need to get into the car before I can get there.

doryman
06-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, I'm having the same issues regarding a "wet" key. It's hard to believe that anybody who buys an Element wouldn't instinctively know why a wet key would be a good thing to have!

I'm still uncomfortable about leaving a key that CAN start my car, in my car. I had a car stolen that way once. Someone broke in to take the radio, found my "hidden" key, and drove it to Havre, Montana.

I'd like to know the real story on getting the chipped key wet. One poster mentioned that he'd been doing so for years with no damage. The owner's manual says not to. I'm not a frequent diver, so pressure isn't so much of a problem, but I do surf a lot, so salt water is.

Island E
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
One poster mentioned that he'd been doing so for years with no damage. The owner's manual says not to. I'm not a frequent diver, so pressure isn't so much of a problem, but I do surf a lot, so salt water is.

I'm with Old Blue on this one. I used to take one of my spare keys out into the ocean all the time while the remote was locked in the car. Did this for snorkeling, kayaking and boogie boarding. Never had a problem with it. You get like 3 keys and a valet key from the dealership. Might as well use one.

Jynx
08-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey guys I love my element and use it for all these great outdoor activities but I do have 1 complaint. When I go to the beach and swim, surf, ect... I have no where to keep the keys. One feature I loved on my old ford explorer was the keypad entry so you could lock the keys in the car and get them out.

any solutions for the element? Hiding spots on the car? something else?

Thanks!

B1ke Box
08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I leave the transponder chip key in the car and carry a standard key (open doors only) with me around my neck.

Jojo
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Hiding spots inside or out?
My favorite inside hiding spot is to lift the center console where the E brake is and stash stuff under there.:cool:

Yoda E SC
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
just get one of these installed.

http://www.keyless.com/PDF/AKE-5.pdf

SoloRider
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I know this thread is a bit on the old side but is there ANY confirmation at all that the Honda key w/ RFID chip(not the key FOB, just the key) can get damaged by water causing a malfunction with the immobilizing function. Seems pretty unlikely to me since they are usually sealed and powered by proximity to the receiver. They get embedded under the skin of pets all the time. I even built a house not too long ago for a guy that had an RFID chip implanted in his right hand to unlock the doors when he came home.

Island E
08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
is there ANY confirmation at all that the Honda key w/ RFID chip(not the key FOB, just the key) can get damaged by water causing a malfunction with the immobilizing function.

Did you see my post? I always took one out to go play in the ocean and never had a problem.

SoloRider
08-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Did you see my post? I always took one out to go play in the ocean and never had a problem.

Clearly I missed it:)