WDJ 2006 Top Approved Dry Dog Foods [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: WDJ 2006 Top Approved Dry Dog Foods

Box4Rox
01-05-2006, 12:12 PM
The latest Feb 2006 WDJ (Whole Dog Journal ) just published approved dry dog foods for 2006 and I was relieved to find that the one we use was on the list (Natural Balance). :)

:arrow: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

Our Black Lab pup was having all sorts of stomach problems and with the help of the vet and several months of trial and error, we were able to pin it down to food allergies (Processed corn being the #1 offender and wheat and dairy #2 and #3)

We ended up with two foods that are working . . . a Natural Balance Venison/Brown Rice formula and a Natural Balance Potato/Duck formula.

:arrow: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

Treats are either Natural Balance Lamb Rounds, Natural Balance Potato & Duck biscuits, Newmans Own Organics (peanut butter), Solid Gold lamb or turkey jerky. All are corn, wheat, soy and dairy free.

Thanks Hikerchick for the tip on this publication and info source its great to have a healthy pup and peace of mind. Our vet is amazed as well . . . :cool:

Just wondering if any other EOC dog owners are also using the higher end ($$$$) foods and if so why . . . ? (allergies or other health reasons )

hiker chick
01-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm glad you've found the right stuff for Obi. :) Yes, diet is so, so important for our pups just as it is for us.

Gidget's been on Solid Gold's "Hund-n-Flocken" (also on the WDJ approved list) since she was a pup. She loves the Solid Gold jerky treats (lamb, turkey and beef) and the Solid Gold Garlic Doggie Bagels which I noticed at the pet store today must contain actual gold as an ingredient since a small bag cost $11.

That's in the Greenie zone of exorbitant.

The $16 annual subscription fee is worth the February issue alone -- in addition to the listing of recommended foods is in-depth guidance on making sense of ingredient labels and what to look for and what to avoid.

I also augment Gidget's diet with occasional organic chicken breast. She gets daily doses of yogurt with live cultures, too -- a couple tablespoons.

She's doing great. :grin:

If anyone ever changes their pup's food, be sure to do so gradually. Gradually mixing the new stuff in and phasing the old stuff out should take a couple weeks to avoid intestinal upset or hot spots (which can occur with drastic diet change).

hiker chick
01-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Another advantage of premium dog foods:

The higher end food going in the front end the less comes out the back end.

That's been my experience with my dogs. And being city pups I have to pick up each and every pile so smaller poops are much appreciated.

BoxyBluChik
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, this house a tried a few!!

We have tried Nutro, but it seems to rich for our gang. Read soft stuff to pick up!

We then switched to Premium Edge. The little ones got the Healthy Skin and Coat and the senior got the Chicken and Rice.

Then we got a new pet store and they carry a few brands that weren't available to us before. Wellness, Natural Balance, Candiae, etc..

We are now on a mixture of 1/2 Premium Edge as stated above and then 1/2 Merrick. The little ones get the Wilderness Blend and the senior gets the Senior Medley (can't remember the name off hand, in the garage too lazy to go look!)

They seem to be doing great on the mix and it gives them a little from each different company, so if they are missing anything in one, they might get it in the other. Their coats are great too!

Will be curious to see what others use!
Katrina

hiker chick
01-05-2006, 10:45 PM
The Wellness food made a gluton of a friend of mine's Belgian Shepherd that was finicky on Solid Gold (the only time she chowed down at one sitting was when she heard me drive up with Gidget, my Samoyed --who always races to Raven's bowl to see if there are leftovers).

It's good to see Raven so enjoying her now 50-50 mix of Wellness and Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken.

Gidget enjoys it when she visits, too.

:)

lae10851
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
My furkids love Natural Choice. We use the diet version because one of them has a weight management issue. We switched to make their coats shine. I did notice that after we switched them it reduced their stool output.

Our dog with the weight problem is the oldest and he always used to lay around. Now that he is on Natural Choice he is acting like a puppy. I dont know what better testimony there is to it being good.

I know our friends like Avo-Derm. They are friends with their Vet and he was at a dinner party we attended. He joked with them that he never saw a dog climbing an Avocado tree before. :)

Box4Rox
01-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Well, so far all of our choices (Natural Choice, Wellness, Premium Edge, Merrick, Hund-n-Flocken, Natural Balance) are on the WDJ list :)
And it looks like all of them have dumped corn & wheat in favor of brown rice & barley.

I'm happy I discovered this when our dog is still a pup (and feeling really guilty about our previous Golden we lost last year :sad: )

Is it just me , or does it seem the vets and breeders push the Hills, Iams, etc. big name brand stuff ? Some sort of payola thing going on there ?

Box4Rox
01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Here's a sad story that relates to our discussion . . . :sad:

Dog Deaths Surpass 100 Despite Toxic Pet Food Recall

LiveScience Staff

LiveScience.com Fri Jan 6, 4:00 PM ET

At least 100 dogs in the United States have been killed in recent weeks by toxic pet food despite a recall of the products, scientists said today.

Some 19 brands of Diamond, Country Value and Professional dog foods have been recalled. But many pet owners are not aware of the recall, researchers at Cornell University said Friday.

Dogs have refused to eat the food and, in some cases, their owners have enticed them with gravy and other lures without knowing they were killing the animals.

"Entire kennels have been wiped out, and because of the holiday these past few weeks, the dispersal of recall information was disrupted," said Sharon Center, a professor of veterinary medicine who specializes in liver function and disease at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.

The dog food is tainted with deadly aflatoxins that waste the liver away. The bad food could be present in a dozen other countries, too, the researchers say. About two-thirds of dogs that show symptoms from the toxin have died.

The dogs seemed to know their food was deadly.

"Some dogs were stealing food from the kitchen counter," Center said. "Others just stopped eating the food and begged for treats. Unfortunately, some owners used gravy and other mixers to entice their dogs to consume what they thought was safe, quality dog food."

Only about two dozen deaths have been firmly linked to the tainted pet food. But Center and her colleagues know the toll is far higher.

"Every day, we're hearing reports from veterinarians in the East and Southeast who have treated dogs that have died from liver damage this past month or so," Center said. "We're also concerned about the long-term health of dogs that survive as well as dogs that have eaten the tainted food but show no clinical signs."

Surviving dogs may develop chronic liver disease or liver cancer, she said.

"Despite our understanding of this complex toxin, we have no direct antidote," Center said.

Symptoms arise over days or weeks. Early signs include lethargy, loss of appetite and vomiting. Later, look for orange-colored urine and jaundice, which is a yellowing of the eyes and gums. Severely affected dogs produce a blood-tinged vomit and bloody or blackened stools.

More information is available at a Cornell web site.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/news/articles/diamondPetFoods.htm

The details of the FDA recall are here.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond12_05.html

lae10851
01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Here's a sad story that relates to our discussion . . . :sad:

Dog Deaths Surpass 100 Despite Toxic Pet Food Recall

LiveScience Staff

LiveScience.com Fri Jan 6, 4:00 PM ET

At least 100 dogs in the United States have been killed in recent weeks by toxic pet food despite a recall of the products, scientists said today.

Some 19 brands of Diamond, Country Value and Professional dog foods have been recalled. But many pet owners are not aware of the recall, researchers at Cornell University said Friday.

Dogs have refused to eat the food and, in some cases, their owners have enticed them with gravy and other lures without knowing they were killing the animals.

"Entire kennels have been wiped out, and because of the holiday these past few weeks, the dispersal of recall information was disrupted," said Sharon Center, a professor of veterinary medicine who specializes in liver function and disease at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.

The dog food is tainted with deadly aflatoxins that waste the liver away. The bad food could be present in a dozen other countries, too, the researchers say. About two-thirds of dogs that show symptoms from the toxin have died.

The dogs seemed to know their food was deadly.

"Some dogs were stealing food from the kitchen counter," Center said. "Others just stopped eating the food and begged for treats. Unfortunately, some owners used gravy and other mixers to entice their dogs to consume what they thought was safe, quality dog food."

Only about two dozen deaths have been firmly linked to the tainted pet food. But Center and her colleagues know the toll is far higher.

"Every day, we're hearing reports from veterinarians in the East and Southeast who have treated dogs that have died from liver damage this past month or so," Center said. "We're also concerned about the long-term health of dogs that survive as well as dogs that have eaten the tainted food but show no clinical signs."

Surviving dogs may develop chronic liver disease or liver cancer, she said.

"Despite our understanding of this complex toxin, we have no direct antidote," Center said.

Symptoms arise over days or weeks. Early signs include lethargy, loss of appetite and vomiting. Later, look for orange-colored urine and jaundice, which is a yellowing of the eyes and gums. Severely affected dogs produce a blood-tinged vomit and bloody or blackened stools.

More information is available at a Cornell web site.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/news/articles/diamondPetFoods.htm

The details of the FDA recall are here.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond12_05.html

I just saw this on Yahoo. Thanks for posting it. If you hadnt already, I was planning on it.

Amy

E-vilqueen
01-07-2006, 03:37 PM
We used Natural Balance for quite some time when we got our first dog, but he's a super finicky eater and tired of it. We used a variety of other brands as well, and even ordered Flint River Ranch for a while (too rich for the poodles - what a mess in the yard...).

Strangely what seems to work best for us is Eukanuba Adult Maintenance formula mixed with some "people" food. I cook more for them than for us! I make venison everything (stew, burgers, meatloaf, chops, steaks, roasts, etc... all thanks to a hunting colleague of my husbands who gave us a ton of meat). Also, chicken and rice, shredded cheese, sometimes a scrambled egg... The human food helps to keep them interested in the dry food since they are so picky, but I also like knowing that they are getting the vitamins & minerals they need which are in the dry food & are hard to include if you are doing all of your own cooking. I also like knowing that they are getting a vareity of fresh, non processed foods too.

We've been doing this for about 2 years with no problems. Coats & skin are great, ear infections cleared up, and they love it. I have switched dry food brands at times (used Diamond, Science Diet, Bil Jac - which made my guys fart something awful...) but the Eukanuba seems to do the trick.

Just an FYI, we went to this brand on a tip from one of my breeders when one of my Std. Poodles was having ear infections that we couldn't kick. She noted that Eukanuba doesn't have beet sugar in it, but many other brands do. Apparantly she has found this to be linked to yeast in their ears.

Who knows.

In the end, as long as they eat and don't have health problems, I don't care what they are eating!

bsdowner
01-08-2006, 03:12 PM
As Hiker Chick pointed out, you feed less, so less output with premium dog food. It is interesting how WDJ rates the food. I am switching Chance, Belgian Sheepdog, to EaglePack Chicken. He seems to like to change foods :-) His current food is Pinnacle, also listed as top food. He likes Flint River Ranch too.

If you feed quality food, the dog remains healthier - lower vet bills.

Iams has too much corn. My cats won't eat it (cat food) and it gives Chance gas (dog food). Science Diet is one of the worse foods, almost as bad as the food store feeds.