Our Cat Has Issues . . . [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Our Cat Has Issues . . .

Wally
01-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I am looking for a little help from those cat lovers out there that may have knowledge I certainly do not.

We have a female cat, less than 1 year old, that just got herself a little kitty hysterectomy (I can not ever remember if that is a Neuter or Spay :roll: ) just last Wednesday. Since then, she is Psycho, and I mean NUTS!

Possible Related Fact: She was full on in heat when we took her in - bad timing.

What she is doing now is hallucinating, twitching, biting at nothing but air, swatting at the same nothing in the air, and visually tracking something only she is seeing. It is freaking my wife and kids out.

We took her back to the vet on Friday, but he could find nothing wrong with her physically, saying the surgery site was clean and not infected, and that everything looked and felt OK.

So, did we just completely screw her up mentally and this is what our “sweet” kitten is going to be like as an adult? Or does anybody know, or have heard, of this and know what is going on.

I appreciate any info . . .

bsdowner
01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
how old is your kitten/cat?

Spay is female cat, neuter is male cat - Shirley Chong solved the problem - "sputer"

Anyhoo - your cat sound like a normal cat to me - go play with her! She is inviting you to play. And keep her out of the catnip!!!

Do you have a spider plant in the house? It will make her vomit and may cause her to see things if she eats the plant.

Wally
01-08-2006, 03:25 PM
We have a female cat, less than 1 year old

As close to her age as I can get - she is an orphan and we do not know her exact age - just less than a year.

No Spider Plant.

We have tried playng with her, but she gets spooked at whatever she is seeing in her head and dives under the overs on my daughters bed - it is the only place she feels safe. Prior to the operation, she thought she owned the entire house, and acted like it.

Empire
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Maybe the ghosts of her ovaries and uterus have come to haunt her. Look in the phone book for a "Feline OBGYN Exorcist". Every city should have a handfull listed.
You haven't seen any spectral ovaries floating about yourself have you?

Give these guys a call too. I think they do cat guts also.

http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/1315/kanal23cd.jpg

bobhch/hchbob
01-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Keep all the guns in your house unloaded and hidden....:shock:

Wally
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
No guns - and all the sharp instruments are hidden. :D

I am seriously (not) considering calling a Pet Psychiatrist to have a conversation with her and find out just what her problems are. :roll:

blackdog1
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Maybe a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Give her a few more days, it might work itself out of her system.

Wally
01-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Give her a few more days, it might work itself out of her system.

That is what we are thinking - and hoping. It is the best explination with the least long-term effect.

Fingers crossed . . .

ELEMENTDUDE
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Sometimes I swat at imaginary things, sometimes trying to bite at them too, I work in HR so you can imagine how crazy people have made me over the years...

Good luck, I am sure it was from being put out with drugs, it is probably residual drug issues.

Meoooow..

ADAMLSTL
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Dog lover here. I do have Ideas but, you may not want to hear them. Let me know if you do.. :D

Wally
01-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Dog lover here. I do have Ideas but, you may not want to hear them. Let me know if you do.. :D

I can only guess - and as my wife is reading these posts also in hope of an idea - I'll pass.

IRV
01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure you can screw up a cat mentally. They think and see the world SO much differently then we do....Have four here now. I'd say give her a week and you and your family will adapt to what she is or she will be more like she use to be. :)

ps: Your cat does not have issuses. Cats do not have issues. YOU have issues with your cat!

kissya
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok, first of all a hysterectomy is a major surgery for a female kitty. Unlike a male kitty. The fact she was mid cycle did'nt help. She is still post op after only 4 days. Sometimes there is a reaction to the anethesia. Just let her have a little time to adjust. Let her have her safe space... Do'nt play with her unless she wants to play. Make sure she eats and has water. Make sure she is using the litter box and not voiding on the floor. A little time is all she needs....:)

Wally
01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all.

She is eating, drinking, and so far, no voiding in my daughters bed. That seems to be the place she feels safe.

We will just leave her where she is for a while and hope she returns to the sweet, lovable, little kitten she was, instead of the mean, psychotic, homicidle beast that she's become. :shock:

joeBoxer
01-08-2006, 08:16 PM
a couple of things from a long time cat owner: first off earlier is better for fixing. around three months is ideal. in her case it was late and obviously unwelcome. along with waiting for the post op issues to be put behind her, you have to give her time and gain her trust again. the people that are her caretakers took her in to be violated and she needs some healing time in more ways than one.

be patient and understanding. if you just had your sexual organs sliced out you wouldn't be the sweet little animal you were before either - at least not right away.

bobhch/hchbob
01-08-2006, 11:55 PM
.be patient and understanding. if you just had your sexual organs sliced out you wouldn't be the sweet little animal you were before either - at least not right away.

Joe...Ouch man!:twisted:

Thank God I am not a cat.......

Box4Rox
01-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Ouch . . . Poor cat.

I’m sure there’s a joke in here somewhere about Hot Flashes and “Mean-O-Paws” (claws, paws, whatever . . . ) but I can’t think of it off hand. :)

We’ve got a couple of cats and they do have unique “needs” (compared to dogs . . . ) so I’m with JoeBoxer’s and Kissya’s advice on this . . .

Also, watch your dogs until this blows over !!! The cat probably thinks the whole thing was the dog’s idea :evil:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/box4rox/MadCat.jpg

BrotherBlaqICE
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Speakings of getting animals fixed, I have a one year old female lab that I have to get fixed. Anybody know what kind of reactions I should expect from her after the operation?

SookiE
01-15-2006, 10:12 PM
nstead of the mean, psychotic, homicidle beast that she's become. :shock:

We had the sweet kitten once upon a time but she turned it the Evil One.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/poohfairy42/HPIM1118rs.jpg

Juicebox
02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks to all.

She is eating, drinking, and so far, no voiding in my daughters bed. That seems to be the place she feels safe.

We will just leave her where she is for a while and hope she returns to the sweet, lovable, little kitten she was, instead of the mean, psychotic, homicidle beast that she's become. :shock:

Any word on your kitty? How is she doing now?

Wally
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
She is still the same, although not as severe. It is kind of fun to watch her try to rub up against your leg one minute, then try to bite it the next. She stills stairs at the wall, and swats at something that only she sees.

All in all - entertaining.