Dog Hair in my E?! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Dog Hair in my E?!

simplymE
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I just picked up my E on Monday. It was my first brand spakin new vehicle and one of its appeals to me was the lack of surfaces for dog hair to cling to. I haven't had her in the truck yet, I am a bit weary. It still has the new car smell and I am a bit worried about the dog hair on the seats so I have been holding out.

She is a Boxer mix and has very short hair, but in previous vehicles, there is just no avoiding it, and it is a B**** to get off!

Honestly, how is the dog hair on the seats? (with out a cloth covering them) Does it cling real bad? or brush right off? Can you use your hand to get it off or will even the most powerful hoover not get it all?

I am sure we will take her with us this weekend, regardless...just want to know what I am getting into I supose.

Beaker
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I just got a Element 3 weeks ago (500 miles) and I have a dog. I have a black lab, and hair is everywhere. I use one of those sticky rolls to get the hair off. You might consider a cover of come kind, like I did.

hiker chick
01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a Samoyed. She's a shedding machine. I buy tape lint rollers by the case to keep my clothes presentable.

The E is the least of my dog hair problems. The seats seem impervious to Samoyed hair, except the sides of the backseats that kind of fuzzy.

And hair tends to collect near the drink holders up front.

The E is far more hair resistant than my Miata was. I do not miss carpet, at all.

kalinka
01-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Dog hair comes off very nicely. It can seem like there is more dog hair.. because, in most cars dog hair will imbed itself into the seat on the fabrics and the carpet so it gets stuck and depending on the color of the dog and the color of the interior, it can not be readily visible.

In the E the dog hair does not really stick to anything so it will kind of float around the car more.

I found that the clean up was very fast. I actually turned on a strong hair dryer and just blew it out to doors and back in about 3 minutes. The only place it stuck was inbetween the two back seats. I had to move the seats around. Also a short broom like brush also takes it right off.

There are plenty of seat covers that you can throw on the back if you want to avoid hair on the rear seats. Also I flipped the back seats up and put the sheep skin crate pads down, that caught all of the hair and there was very little of it flying around the car. I was not thrilled with driving on the highway with the seats up into the windows, I just like to be able to see better to change lanes.

I have found the E to be the most doggy hair friendly car to date as far as easy clean up.

Kalinka

linger
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I found that the clean up was very fast. I actually turned on a strong hair dryer and just blew it out to doors and back in about 3 minutes. The only place it stuck was inbetween the two back seats. I had to move the seats around. Also a short broom like brush also takes it right off.

This is what I use

The neighbours always give me wierd looks when I'm "leafblowing" the car, but I'm done in no time! We have our Chocolate Lab in the car a lot and he sheds plenty.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up a little bit so I can give the car a quick once over. No carpet == Easy clean.

rhythm_ace
01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I've heard that a good way to get pet hair off fabrics is to use antistatic spray. Once the static holding it to the fabric is neutralized, voilą!

Kayakin' Dan
01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I guess if you turned your dog inside out, you would have less hair everywhere.

You have a dog. What's more important? Your dog or your precious little car? Get a grip... and a vacuum cleaner

KSB
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
This is what I use

The neighbours always give me wierd looks when I'm "leafblowing" the car, but I'm done in no time! We have our Chocolate Lab in the car a lot and he sheds plenty.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up a little bit so I can give the car a quick once over. No carpet == Easy clean.

Dude, I love this idea!!! Going to have to try that with my "E".

Thanks,

Ken

SookiE
01-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Air compressor. I take it to the gas station, open all doors and tailgate. Start at the front and blow it out the back. Takes less than 5 minutes. And people do stare. :grin:

bsdowner
02-01-2006, 06:48 AM
I use a dog dryer instead of a leaf blower. The dog dryer is a metroforce commander (about $100 from Pet Edge) 4hp motor. Blasts the water off the dogs, dog hair off the Element seats, ice off the back steps, etc. Great tool.

FYI, Belgian Sheepdogs shed once a year. Chance's undercoat makes nice yarn.

Out of my Element
02-02-2006, 04:32 PM
My problem is that I'm afraid to let my dog even get in the car. I'm afraid of scratches AND hair. And he's very hyper. He won't be still one minute. I think I need one of those doggie seatbelts or something. Any ideas? He weighs about 30 pounds

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/cbh1996/cat.gif.
Oops, wrong pic...hold on!
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/cbh1996/Scruffy.jpg
Ahhhhhhh, there he is! LOL!

hiker chick
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Great pics! :)

If you're worried about scratches, then I'd recommend a crate. Would also keep the hair confined.

Out of my Element
02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok,thanks Hiker Chick...I'm off to eBay to check out doggie crates. Ciao!! :D

Out of my Element
02-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks to you, hiker chick, I knew what to look for. Didn't see one on eBay in the color I wanted but this one from PetSmart is perfect for my black and gray interior. Check it out....and thanks again!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/cbh1996/dogcrate.jpg

hiker chick
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I have the exact same crate, in green. It's great.

If your pup is not used to a crate, you may have to gradually acclimate them to it -- indoors. Over time, I expect they'll feel more secure travelling in it than being loose in the car.

Good luck!

:)

Out of my Element
02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure we "practice" first. It's quite ironic we got the same thing...:cool:

Skruffy
02-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure we "practice" first. It's quite ironic we got the same thing...:cool:

More coincidental I'd sayhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony, still cool. I think those are a great idea, those crates!

Here's a picture of my crate: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7929&stc=1&d=1127587616