dog safety [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: dog safety

BLADERUNNER
01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
hi, I have a westie and a new 2005. She loves car rides. any suggestions for dog seat belts etc.?

kalinka
01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
If you just do a google search for dog seat belts you will come up with tons of them, here is one:

http://www.petsafetybelts.com/

They all work pretty nicely, some have fleece covering others have fabric harness and the directions to connect it to your present seatbelts are included in the packaging.
It also works just fine hooking them to one of the tie down areas if the seats are not in.

You can also google dog car seat if you want the dog to see out the windows
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9448&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032887&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138126605836

Kalinka

paulj
01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I secure my small terrier (an Australian) with a harness and short line to a secure anchor. The harness is the same one we use for walks. For a larger dog, a harness specifically sold for car use may be necessary, but for a small one a well fitting 'tracking' style harness should be strong enough.

When using the rear seats, I anchor the harness to one of the LATCH loops at the base of the seat. I choose the length of the anchor line to balance freedom of movement with security.

Be sure to read the disclaimer on the dog seat belt link. There has been little, if any, formal testing of these restraints (including crates).

paulj

Rowdy
01-24-2006, 01:06 PM
When CH Georgia Dachs Rowdy travels in the E, it's in his crate wedged between the back seats and the tailgate. It is always the safest way to transport a good dog.

PVR
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome fellow Westie owner!

I agree with Kalinka that, around town at least, a car seat is a better solution for a short dog in a tall car like the E so that they can see out the window. As long as they are belted in they are perfectly safe.

Our pup is only 4 mo old but we are getting him ready for his car seat.

We got one like this.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187272#post187272

Hondamade4dogs
02-08-2006, 09:36 PM
The Element is an excellent dog box

E-vilqueen
02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
I drive with my Standard Poodles a la Brittney Spears style... I prefer to have my 65 lb guy in my lap & hold him with one hand, and let the 55 lb one try to weasle in. The E just has so much room!!

(If anyone saw the Daily Show last night, you will know from where the inpiration came for these sarcastic remarks)

Honu
02-23-2006, 11:26 PM
We go with the strapped down dog crate in the Element, although it seems like the doggie tie downs attached to a harness seem to get pretty good reviews too and are certainly better than letting your friend become a bullet through the front windshield.

My wife used to just toss in the crate (we have a tiny dog) on the front seat of her accord, against my strong objections. That was until one time when she had to slam on the brakes and the crate bounced around a bit. Still better than if it had been a loose dog, but now the crate gets wedged and/or strapped in.

Seems like its worth the effort for such a good friend.

bsdowner
03-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Be VERY careful about putting a crate in the back. I understand the rear and front of the Element are crumple zones.

Chance wears a seat belt harness and rides in the back seat floor (his choice)

PugMom
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
FINALLY, after bringing home several types of harnesses, and nothing working for the pugs, I saw the Outward Hound car seats at PetSmart last weekend and brought 2 home. I got the "up to 30 pound size" because one of our puggies is kinda big (25 pounds). Hubby about fainted when he saw they were $40 a piece, but he said if they worked it would be worth it. And they do!!! Dogs can see out, but are safely hooked. HURRAY!!!