Question about summer/warm weather driving [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Question about summer/warm weather driving

01-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I hope to purchase my first Element next week. Have taken it for a couple of test drives and love it.

I have two labrador retrievers - they go almost everywhere with me. So I have a few questions regarding transport in the summertime / warm months. My understanding is that the E has no rear heating / cooling. Do you find that your dogs get too warm during the hot weather? If so, do you blast the AC or open the windows?

Personally, I can't stand AC unless it is SUPER steaming and humid outside. I much prefer to have the windows open. In my old 2 door explorer I would use the cool air vent, but not the AC. I had a rear vent that I could leave wide open and that boys (dogs) would park themselves in front of that to keep cool. Since there is no such thing in the E I was thinking that I might need to get a 12v fan for the back. Seems as though leaving the moonroof completely off would be REALLY loud - do you guys drive with it totally off and if so does it drive you crazy with noise?

Sorry this is so long but I baby these two knuckleheads like there is no tomorrow and I want to be sure that they are going to be comfy in our new ride.

hiker chick
01-28-2006, 09:59 AM
You are a responsible dog person. ;-)

In the oppressively humid Washington, D.C. summer months, my Samoyed (Gidget), has done just fine in the E.

I rely on A/C to cool her, and me.

Gidget probably has more complaints in these winter months when I like the heater on higher than she does. I often crack the passenger window to give her a blast of cool air. And I try to keep the heat down by wearing a coat and cranking my seat warmer.

For dogs and peops, you can't go wrong with the E.

01-28-2006, 10:09 AM
There are vents under the front seats than can blow cool or warm air if the floor setting is selected. This along with the flipout rear windows and the flipout/removeable sunroof (on the 4WD model) should help. My sister has 2 young Labs and another large something of "hound" descent that she carries in the back of hers with the rear seats removed. During the coldest times on a roadtrip she used a 12 volt powered heating blanket spread across the floor with a blanket over it. Just plug it into the rear power port and the dogs have their own warm bed without you having to keep fiddling with the climate controls.

01-28-2006, 03:21 PM
During the sumer months I attend many dog shows with my Bull Terriers. The one thing that I never worried about was the ability of the AC system to keep the vehicle cool... and may I add it cools it down rather quickly.

Purchase with confidence!