Cowgirl agility photos [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Cowgirl agility photos

kalinka
01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Just wanted to post a few shots of miss cow... she is getting a tangerine element.

Kayakin' Dan
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I posted this so no one else would be dissapointed in the dog picture as I was. Dog lovers, don't view this pic. I now return you to your regularily scheduled thread...

Beaker
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
the dog agility looks like a lot of fun

makes me want to take my dog to try it out, but she's coming up on 12

hiker chick
01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
LOL Dan.
:)

Excellent pics of Miss Cow, Kalinka. What an athlete!

I introduced Gidget (Samoyed) to some of the agility equipment a while back and she even did the tunnel with no prob (that surprised me) but I haven't pursued it.

How long did it take Miss Cow to be able to run the course?

I need some good pics of Gidget scootering (pulling me on a scooter, that is). She and her buddy, a Belgian Shepherd, raced today from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial and back. There was some agility involved -- cutting in and out of tourists. Gidget seems to have been influenced by Nascar. :)

A little warm, though, at 60 degrees and sunny. Gidget's got her winter coat on. By the way, this is the scooter she pulls me on (as opposed to the geriatric scooters that come up on that hyperlink). I have an extra to encourage friends because Gidget likes to race.

kalinka
01-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Running a course takes a little time but you can start running sequences in short order... Simple jump sequences, like a pinwheel can happen pretty fast. It is a matter of teaching the dog how to manage the equipment but then it is all about handling skills. They need to be able to work away from you so they start reading your shoulders and legs. You can not run as fast as a dog does.
Eventually the dog can see if your shoulders turn right that she is to take a right turn even if she is way out ahead of you.
I try to train in silence so that the dog is only ready body, Like right arm pushed way out and up means take the piece of equipment to the outside and low down says stay tight to me and take what is closest.

You could do a lot by making 4 pvc jumps and start with that alone. Dont worry about the tunnels yet

K

Bald Eagle
01-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I posted this so no one else would be dissapointed in the dog picture as I was. Dog lovers, don't view this pic. I now return you to your regularily scheduled thread...
Thanks for the laugh of the night, Dan.

Hutmo
01-28-2006, 10:49 PM
That is freakin' cracking me up.

Hutmo

wankerklink
01-29-2006, 06:52 AM
I think the dogs are great, but the title of this thread heightened my anticipation of something else. Many thanks Dan for your thoughtfull post.:roll: :grin:

kissya
01-29-2006, 09:05 AM
:D See ,I told you guys Dallas Cheerleaders had bigger boobs. Thanks Dan...your the Man.:D

Hondamade4dogs
01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey that it a cool looking dog scooter, didn't know anyone was running those, we have a blue one I got at Dogscooters.com a couple years ago..it is a trip running around the park..people look at you like you are weird or something....:D

BoxyBluChik
01-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Kalinka,

Looks like you have a great agility dog. How many letters after the name does Cowgirl have?

We bought a kids play tunnel on clearance at Target and we just let the pups run thru that. After going thru it a few times with us luring them, we now just yell out tunnel when they walk by it and usually they will run thru it!

We also made some weave poles out of long screws and PVC pipe. We attached the screws to a plug, then stuck the plug into the end of the PVC pipe. The long end of the screw is sticking out, so that you can shove it into the ground. And then we just have fun with those!

Haven't tried to make any jumps yet. The dogs haven't had any agility classes either, but they will be somewhat familar with some of the equipment this way and maybe learn to do it easier.

LOVE the scooter, gotta check this out!
Katrina

kalinka
01-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Kalinka,

Looks like you have a great agility dog. How many letters after the name does Cowgirl have?

We bought a kids play tunnel on clearance at Target and we just let the pups run thru that. After going thru it a few times with us luring them, we now just yell out tunnel when they walk by it and usually they will run thru it!

We also made some weave poles out of long screws and PVC pipe. We attached the screws to a plug, then stuck the plug into the end of the PVC pipe. The long end of the screw is sticking out, so that you can shove it into the ground. And then we just have fun with those!

Haven't tried to make any jumps yet. The dogs haven't had any agility classes either, but they will be somewhat familar with some of the equipment this way and maybe learn to do it easier.

Katrina

CD. one more leg for her CDX.. NA, NAJ and a leg in OA and OAJ, CGC
We would be done with open but she broke her leg right before season started so we had to take a break.
K

hiker chick
01-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Katrina

www.dogscooter.com (http://www.dogscooter.com) for background on the variety of scooters available. "Diggler" and "Blauwerk" are the top brands. Mine are from Blauwerk (www.blauwerk.com (http://www.blauwerk.com)) and the model is "Willy." It has 20" wheels and is desired for cornering ability and speed (also has great brakes). Runs well on sidewalks, dirt and grass. The limiting factor is ground clearance. The Diggler has a little more (Digglers were designed not for dog pulling but for bombing down ski slopes in the summer). There are also scooters with 26" wheels that are the fastest and the "downhill" version by Blauwerk has higher ground clearance and shock absorbers.

I bought the first from a Canadian distributor and the second from an outfit that shipped out of Buffalo.

They say any dog, or combo of dogs, weighing over 30 pounds can pull. Gidget weighs 42 pounds.

Gidget and Raven were clocked yesterday doing 14 mph by the Washington Monument -- half an hour into their run.

:shock:

kalinka
01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Are any of you guys into pulling doing any skijoring if you live in snow country? IF the dog likes the pulling thing they will love it!! All you need is a pair of cross country skiis and a harness and away you go! I used to do it in vermont and chicago and twas a blast. There is a little emergency release incase the dog goes off after a critter and heads you towards a tree. I think it is the best fun free winter excercise and all breeds seem to love it.. it also helps if you buy some booties so the ice does not ball up under the paw pads but there are also salves that you can use for it... Try it!
K

hiker chick
01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Some friends of mine skijor with their Samoyeds just about every weekend on Mt. Hood in Oregon. And every Sunday night I get pics that make me envious.

There was an article on skijoring recently in The New York Times -- just a few hours ago I dug it out to mail to one of those friends.

If you have snow and are a skilled skier (don't want to run into your dog) then skijoring is fantastic.

Gidget and booties are so far proving incompatible. I need to find some with suspenders so she can't kick them off. :)

Kalinka -- where have you skijored?

kalinka
01-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Some friends of mine skijor with their Samoyeds just about every weekend on Mt. Hood in Oregon. And every Sunday night I get pics that make me envious.

There was an article on skijoring recently in The New York Times -- just a few hours ago I dug it out to mail to one of those friends.

If you have snow and are a skilled skier (don't want to run into your dog) then skijoring is fantastic.

Gidget and booties are so far proving incompatible. I need to find some with suspenders so she can't kick them off. :)

Kalinka -- where have you skijored?

Started skjoring in Vermont with a belgian sheep dog, we started nice and easy on the frozen snow covered lake, flat so that I did not pick up any speed. Then I moved to the trials with a doberman who would get excited when I started moving fast and bite my ski pants attempting to stop me (she was a fun dog). Finally moved to Chicago and had two more dobes. I had a boyfriend that was big into skate boards and so he did some pretty crazy hot dog stuff with them on the skate boards and I just transitioned them into a two dog skijoring team. I started off in the Alley's after a big snow and then actually moved around town like that before the streets were plowed.

You have to train the booties in the house. You put them on and then right away feed them dinner and then take them off as soon as they are done eating. They start seeing the booties as a positive. Slowly leave them on for a small amount of activity and eventually get to the point where you can take a walk with the booties on. I have never had a dog that I could just throw botties on and take off. Ruff Wear makes a nice set that i like alot and they also make a salve that keeps ice off.

Kalinka

Hondamade4dogs
02-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Here is Bear making his way around a bush...and later Abigail and bear smiling...:roll:

tango
02-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Scooter's Hi Jinx Jet
Jet - our Scottish Terror (oops I mean Terrier) age 8
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/inkstudios/jetsraspw.jpg
Scooter's Indigo Shadow
Indi - our Standard Poodle age 4
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/inkstudios/indiSno.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/inkstudios/Creekwater%20Critters/p02.jpg

Skruffy
02-07-2006, 03:05 AM
These are our dogs performing agility, atleast the most they know how: