Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! Rufus! Rufus!

Hutmo
02-15-2006, 04:06 PM
HE DID IT! Rufus (Rockytop Sundance Kid) went BIS at Westminster!
The Bull Terrier Nation is walking a bit taller today.

Check out his website they I built for his owners.
http://bullfulbullterriers.com/

HUTMO

tango
02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I watched - he was awesome! I have a Scotty so am always rooting for the Terriers - and the Standard Poodles - have one of those TOO.
Takes a special person to raise a Terrier right - hats off to Rufus and his "family". Hope he has a great retirement and enjoys being a life of leisure terrier...he has earned it!

tessa
02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Hope he has a great retirement and enjoys being a life of leisure terrier...he has earned it!
Not to mention being a very happy stud!
:lol:

His head is magnificent, but it was his movement that took my breath away when I saw him show a couple of months ago. You never see that in a Bully.

Of course, I was rooting for the winning-est Pug of all time, at over 100 Best in Shows, but it was certainly a GREAT win for RUFUS.

Tess

Hutmo
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.bullfulbullterriers.com/BIS-Holyoke-K-C-11-%2704.jpg

The movement on a Bully is a very fine line...

Leggy dogs move with such grace but not jaunty enough.

Short legs - Too much like a Bull Dog.

They need to be in between so the dog has a sailor like, jaunty movement.

Rufus has fine movement and yes the head piece is as good as it gets. Nice turn, properfinish, with good fill. He showed here in Pittsburgh at 7 or 8 months old and blew the field away.

Here is a link to the Bull terrier Standard. (http://www.btca.com/Cooke%20Content%20Pages/btstandard.html)

An article about Bullies (http://www.btca.com/Cooke%20Content%20Pages/BREED%20INFO.htm)

The Bishops who own Rufus are fine people and have worked very hard. He was bred by Bill and Becky Poole of Rockytop Bull Terriers from TN.

HUTMO

kalinka
02-16-2006, 12:26 AM
I am always so thrilled when nothing fluffy takes BIS.
You will never see a cattle dog even make it to groups because they lack fluff and look like ... well to many they look like mutts.
The little egg head deserved it.. !

K

hiker chick
02-16-2006, 07:12 AM
My fluffy Samoyed and I are happy for Rufus! :grin:

Bravo to Bull Terrier Nation -- I'd be elated if a Sammy, the right Sammy, won!

kung
02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
My father-in-law is obsessed with that dog. It's pretty funny. He has Rufus t-shirt that he made with an iron-on he printed from the internet.

Cool. Now I'm going to hear about it for weeks at Sunday dinner.

JohnE
02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
I heard on CNN that Rufus hit the bars after his win, and could not jump up on the stand the next day!! :D

CNN Story

kalinka
02-16-2006, 11:41 AM
My fluffy Samoyed and I are happy for Rufus! :grin:

Bravo to Bull Terrier Nation -- I'd be elated if a Sammy, the right Sammy, won!

OOH I have nothing against fluffy dogs. Fluffy dogs are nice, My comment was based more on the herding group, the fluffy dogs always win!!

mizsydney
02-16-2006, 05:13 PM
not only do the cattledogs never win, they very seldom even broadcast them in the ring. (ring? arena? don't know the lingo, sorry!)

MANY times we wait patiently for the herding group to air on Animal Planet, we see the pretty cattledog waiting his/her turn, and when they come back from commercial break, we are showing the final picks for the group. I don't think I've ever seen the cattledog trot around the (ring?).

I've seen many purebred cattledogs that do look like mutts, but the lines and color on a good one are just stunning, and I wish they'd stop showing us the shepherds that we already see everywhere and show us the more unusual dogs.

though the red ones still look wrong to me.

kalinka
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
not only do the cattledogs never win, they very seldom even broadcast them in the ring. (ring? arena? don't know the lingo, sorry!)

MANY times we wait patiently for the herding group to air on Animal Planet, we see the pretty cattledog waiting his/her turn, and when they come back from commercial break, we are showing the final picks for the group. I don't think I've ever seen the cattledog trot around the (ring?).

I've seen many purebred cattledogs that do look like mutts, but the lines and color on a good one are just stunning, and I wish they'd stop showing us the shepherds that we already see everywhere and show us the more unusual dogs.

though the red ones still look wrong to me.

You know what time ring time is at most AKC shows for cattle dogs? 8 AM. I do not show in the breed ring but I never even make it to support the people i know that do.
They just do not show them, they are not popular enough but that is a GOOD thing.
It is a tough breed to live with and they are not for everyone so if they got popular we would end up with more in rescue.
K

tessa
02-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Ha! Try showing PUGS. Brachiocephalic breeds (otherwise known as smushed faced breeds :D ) are not heat-tolerant, so are always shown at dawn. They seem to follow this tradition, this rule, even in the winter, even at indoor shows. Weekend after this, we'll be shivering at 8:30, inside at Del Mar. Hey - cattledogs show at quarter to 10:) - a very respectable entry of 13. Airdales and Border Collies only mustered entires of 5. We won't even mention the koff koff eighty-two GOLDENS (hmm, Rotties, too).
But I am with you, kalinka on popularity being a mixed blessing for a breed. Puppies are too cute, and people are too impulsive. Some people think my puppy-buyer contract borders on obsessive, but my pedigree will never show up in a pugapoo or a puggle, nor will any pup of my breeding go un-chipped and wind up in rescue. My name is on them for life.

Tess

kalinka
02-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Ha! Try showing PUGS. Brachiocephalic breeds (otherwise known as smushed faced breeds :D ) are not heat-tolerant, so are always shown at dawn. They seem to follow this tradition, this rule, even in the winter, even at indoor shows. Weekend after this, we'll be shivering at 8:30, inside at Del Mar. Hey - cattledogs show at quarter to 10:) - a very respectable entry of 13. Airdales and Border Collies only mustered entires of 5. We won't even mention the koff koff eighty-two GOLDENS (hmm, Rotties, too).
But I am with you, kalinka on popularity being a mixed blessing for a breed. Puppies are too cute, and people are too impulsive. Some people think my puppy-buyer contract borders on obsessive, but my pedigree will never show up in a pugapoo or a puggle, nor will any pup of my breeding go un-chipped and wind up in rescue. My name is on them for life.

Tess

Yea what is up with the pugles??? I have trained 3 or them in the last 2 months. They are popping up everywhere and I can not figure out why or where they are coming from. They are cute little dogs but they are.. just a mixed breed and people are PAYING FOR THEM? I don't get it.. then again I don't pay for my pure bred dogs either, I scoop them all out of rescue. I do not even want to tell you what the price tag on these dogs are in the West Palm Beach area. It is enough to make you want to cry and it is causing people to go out and buy beagles and pugs in pet stores so that they too can make a pile of money on every litter.,. YIKES this has to stop.

BoxyBluChik
02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Kalinka...

I think the Puggles are gaining popularity because a little while back there were quite a few news stories on them. Today Show, ET, Good Morning, etc. And a few stars have them and raved about them....on Jay Leno I know for sure.

I have yet to see one in person. I remember when I was a kid we had a duckapoo (change the first two letters to co....got edited!)...for free....heck those go for 500.00 now.

What the ordinary (non dog show/buy it out of the paper) don't get seem to understand is that mixed breeds have health problems (that a purebred reputable breeder screens for and keeps out of their breeding population) but those cannot be tracked. Alot of people I know or have talked to think that purebreds have MORE health problems than mixes. I read an article from Consumer Reports on AOL the other day and they even stated that. I sent an email to set them straight, but haven't heard back yet.

I am not even going to get started on this.....I will jam the forum with my ranting!!!

Tessa, good for you! Glad to see responsible breeders!
Katrina

kalinka
02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Kalinka...

I think the Puggles are gaining popularity because a little while back there were quite a few news stories on them. Today Show, ET, Good Morning, etc. And a few stars have them and raved about them....on Jay Leno I know for sure.

I have yet to see one in person. I remember when I was a kid we had a duckapoo (change the first two letters to co....got edited!)...for free....heck those go for 500.00 now.

What the ordinary (non dog show/buy it out of the paper) don't get seem to understand is that mixed breeds have health problems (that a purebred reputable breeder screens for and keeps out of their breeding population) but those cannot be tracked. Alot of people I know or have talked to think that purebreds have MORE health problems than mixes. I read an article from Consumer Reports on AOL the other day and they even stated that. I sent an email to set them straight, but haven't heard back yet.

I am not even going to get started on this.....I will jam the forum with my ranting!!!

Tessa, good for you! Glad to see responsible breeders!
Katrina

Well I am not certain about the health problem issue. I think you have to go breed by breed on this. My little frenchie client is 6 months old and has had a ton of health problems that are typical for that particular breed. I used to compete with Dobes and EVERY one of them had severe health issues typical to the breed.. and I even bought one in Germany to try to avoid that but he dropped dead at 5 yrs old from cardio myopathy.. typical to the breed, bloat, cancer you name it they had it all. I have seen more Goldens go down before the age of 5 from aggressive cancers and do not even get me started with Boxers. These are all dogs from very responsible breeders but they line breed the hell out of the dogs.

Even when they health test them they often will gamble with genetic weakness if one tests low and one tests high (PRA is a good example of that and a problem in cattle dogs) have you seen a German shepherds hips lately? They are crippling those animals with the angulation.. I do not care what the breeders say, they are destroying the breed. What I am saying is that genetic testing is important but the problems still exist.

Mixed breed dogs also can have all sorts of genetic issues but they are an out breeding, so there is little concentration of bad genes. Just in my experience I would have to disagree with Consumer reports on this one.

Finding a reputable breeder will absolutely be a way better choice than a puppy mill or pet store that sells pure bred dogs. There is no comparison... but I do not agree with the statement that pure bred dogs have LESS health problems than mixes.. I do not care what consumer reports has to say.. it just is not true.
At very very best we could say that it might be equal but from what I have seen, mixed breed dogs and dogs that are from out breedings in general are more hearty.. that is my two cents.

K

tango
02-16-2006, 11:51 PM
We are pet sitting our "niece" (my sister's dog) who is a Schnoodle - yep an intentional cross of min poodle and min schnauzer - also popular, expensive (for an unregistered dog) and done on purpose - docked tails and all. My sister's came from Operation Kindness tho - so was a shelter dog - she paid for her, but only the shelter's fees. Right now the Puggles and Labradoodles (Lab X Stan Poodle) are "in" - a couple of years ago it was Schnoodles and before that Co*k-A-Poos. Seems there are always people who want to "create" a new breed of dog...as if their "creation" will automatically have only the "good" parts of the purebred dogs and none of the bad. Its also usually poor quality purebreds too - dogs that as far as breed standards go would be undesireable and unwanted - but mix em with another breed and by magic they have puppies that are "better" than either of the parents - yeah, right...
Some purebreds are just as bad tho - save me from any more labs, goldens or chihuahuas... PLEEEZE! Every third house in our neighborhood has a lab - yellow, black, brown, we've got every color and every shape and all of them overweight, dumb (and dumber), not to mention MILES from the breed standard. Bad hips, bad knees, bad teeth, bad eyes, bad backs, and short legs abound. The ones who don't have labs have goldens - same problems. And then there are the tiny toys - sickly, neurotic and snappy. Any breed that gets popular suddenly there is an explosion of backyard bred disasters (and heartbreaks) waiting to happen. Already German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Labs, Goldens, Greyhounds most of the "Bully" breeds and most of the toy breeds have been RUINED here in the US - good breeders go elsewhere for new blood.
Of course I have two purebred dogs (Standard Poodle and Scottish Terrier) but mine were "defects" - unsuitable for breeding or showing and I have limited registrations on both (and they are fixed). They would have been put down if no-one would take them and guarantee a good home but no breeding. They are both beautiful dogs from outstanding champion bloodlines - smart and healthy - genetics checked and all. I wouldn't have bred them anyway - nobody in this house reproduces - spayed before 1st heat every one. Neither of mine is a "popular" breed either - Good Scotties in particular are pretty hard to find - ours came from out of state thru a breed rescue reference - reputable breeder but she was un-sellable due to tail broken during birth and a bowed leg). We had to go 60 miles from Dallas for a good Standard Poodle - and she was already promised but due to defects in her coat she was rejected by the original buyers shortly after birth. Their loss, our gain - what an awesome dog she turned out to be.
Sad situations abound but all we can do is continue to be outspoken and save as many as we can. Some people should never be allowed to have a pet of any kind, but laws are weak and enforcement almost non-existant.
Off my soapbox now - just so many 4-legged reasons to be angry and sad!

Obi_the_dog
02-17-2006, 01:49 AM
... PLEEEZE! Every third house in our neighborhood has a lab - yellow, black, brown, we've got every color and every shape and all of them overweight, dumb (and dumber), not to mention MILES from the breed standard. Bad hips, bad knees, bad teeth, bad eyes, bad backs, and short legs abound. . . .

Hmmmmmm . . . there's a lot in there to read . . . more than my dumb little Lab brain can handle :D

I'm getting hungry just reading all this stuff . . . think I'll go out back and hunt me down one of those flat, hard, green turtle thingies. :)

CONGRATS RUFUS !!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/Obi_the_dog/Obi_pics/9months2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/Obi_the_dog/Obi_pics/9months1.jpg

kung
02-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Tango,

I resent your comments about labs being dumb. You need to apologize to my best buddy, IMMEDIATELY :D :D :D

hiker chick
02-17-2006, 07:18 AM
EOC has become the most interesting dog forum I frequent. :)

A friend of mine has a "Chi-poo" that her sister bred. She has it only because it came from her sister. An ungainly creature with a painfully yippy bark. Looks more like a "Poo-dach" to me: long with apricot poodly hair. Not a nice compliment to her adorable little toy poodle.

I gather the proliferation of poodle mixes is in part a quest for a non-shedding dog and a hypoallergenic dog.

If hair is that inconvenient I don't know how the other maintenance issues of having a dog would be tolerable. Dog doo, for instance.

A doo-less dog would be a BIG SELLER!

P.S. we are just back from our morning walk to the park where Gidget played with one of her buddies, a very sharp yellow lab. Contrary to dalmations and others whose sales soar after Disney makes a movie, the many great qualities of labradors and retrievers are what make them so popular.

The biggest threat to dogdom is poorly bred people. In my family, dogs were respected and revered. In fact, our dogs were the most popular members of the family.

:cool:

tango
02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Not all labs are dumb - just the one that are poorly bred and poorly raised. People seem to think that if the dog has "papers" that makes it a "good dog" - or if they pay a lot for it, it MUST be a great dog. NOT! Or that the dog, being a lab and such a great breed, will train itself. NOT!
We have at least 30 (that I have met) in our neighborhood of 63 houses - 29 of them don't even look like a lab....but they have PAPERS. 4 of them have bad hips, one is blind (age4), 2 have eaten stuff and had surgery to remove said objects, 3 have bad knees, several are missing teeth, 2 have back injuries and have had surgery, one is so messed up that he goes thru walls, doors and wood fences (and injures himself) when left alone, one swims obsessively, one must have a tennis ball at all times or he goes postal. At least 2 are on prozac or something similar.
The breed is overbred by people who know nothing and merely have boatloads of registered puppies and sell them to anyone who can fork over the cash. Physical and mental defects run rampant and people are left with a dog that is an insult to the breed. The shelters are FULL of labs and labx's.

My point is that the breed has been ruined by overbreeding and indiscriminate breeding. The dogs I see are labs in registration only. My second point is that people buy a lab cuz they have been told - perfect family dog, great companion for your kids, easy to raise and smart - but have no idea what a lab really is, or was bred for. Therefore they leave the dog to raise itself, or be raised by their kids, an 80 lb dog untrained and undirected with no rules and no discipline...and most important, NO "JOB" - no focus, no exercise, just the backyard day after day. This is a HUNTING DOG - an active, happy, smart, eager to please breed who has been turned into America's token pet.
I love labs - in fact there are few dogs I don't love, but that (And all your great labs) aside - this over-population of certain breeds by anyone with a x-y pair is a great dis-service to dogs and people.

kung
02-17-2006, 09:13 AM
I was mostly kidding, Tango. Overbreeding is an issue, and we got very lucky to have such a nice dog as we bought her from some absolute cash-crazy morons, but I digress. I was trying to post the picture of her with the chewed lamp cord, but I posted the next one on the card. My lab is rock dumb, but we love her.

BTW - she is a hunter. Not a good one (her nose isn't all I had hoped it would be), but she tries REALLY hard. That, for me, is why I love the breed. They move so elegantly, and she is so eager to be be with my wife and I, and to please us. Because she isn't all that she could be(bad nose, hyper, small), and we had her spayed, we never did pay for her papers.

Hutmo
02-18-2006, 06:12 PM
If you go to a REPSONSIBLE breeder there is no such thing as over-breeding. I really do not like the term. I feel that indiscriminate breeding or something of the sort would be better.

"Overbreeding" or the result of indiscriminate breeding occurs when puppy millers and back yard breeders and the like, breed any dog to any bitch looking to make money! There is no care to health test, research pedigrees, match breed types, check on health issues and on and on and on.

This is why there are so many breeds out there who do not fit the breed standard. It makes me sad when some one paid a ton of cash for a pet that is an AKC dog and it is nowhere near the breed standard and is certain to have issues. I hate to say this but I will... they deserve what they get. They help perpetuate what is happening. If the millers/back yard breeders could not sell their dogs.. they would not breed

Again... the dog loses and so does some family who buys a pet and then becomes heatbroken when it becomes ill. There is no reason to purchase a dog without doing your homework. AKC registration is just that... registration. It does not mean this dog meets the breeds standard or is a good dog. . By the way... It is cheaper to buy a dog off of a good breeder than to buy one from a pet store!

We have a few Bull Terrier breeders who breed really poor Bullies... not over bred... just poorly bred. The Bull Terrier Club of America (http://www.btca.com) has posted a list of questions to ask a breeder when looking for a Bull Terrier. many of them can be used for other breeds. I am certain the parent clubs of other breeds have the same thing.

As for the designer mixed breeds.... jeese.
All breeds have issues and now you are combining them. You have no clue what and where anything might be coming from. The idea that mutts are healthier because they have a larger gene pool is a false. I can tell you all about my girls grand parents and great grand parents.

Many feel that line breeding or in breeding causes the problems. Again... untrue. There is plenty of research to back up that proper line breeding and inbreeding is productive and leads to healthier dogs. I could go into a long rant on this but I will not. There is pleny of research to back the thoughts that I am presenting here.

I will now step off of my soap box.
HUTMO

ADAMLSTL
02-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Terriers are great dogs.. ...:shock:

BoxyBluChik
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Great post Hutmo.....That is what I was trying to say before! I just get all excited and my thoughts get jumbled!!

Saw a Bullie tonight at Petsmart when we were leaving....white and black maybe?

Katrina

NighthawkStella
02-28-2006, 09:01 PM
What about mixed breeds! Here's to cute mutts everywhere!!

bsdowner
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
I just talked with my friend, Diamond Jim (James)'s owner, she said it was all politics. James took best of the English Springer Spaniel breed, but a golden won best of the group. That did not surprise me. James put on a good show; he showed his heart.

My dog's breeder said it was all politics too. She was invited to enter again, but did not because of the situation there. I have a feeling Signatures Element (Atom) would have taken the show. That pup is one handsome dog!

http://www.signaturebsd.com/Atom/atom.html

I was happy that Rufus won. I noticed there were a number of people who did not realize the breed was banned in several cities. They were wondering why the breed was banned :roll: It was EXCELLENT publicity for the breed.

bsdowner
03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Should have read the rest of the thread before posting ....

anyhoo ... a responsible breeder does health checks, maintains contact with the puppy buyers, screens puppy buyers, screens dogs and, last but not the least, takes back puppies (dogs) that the owners cannot care for or no longer want. Chance's breeder has taken and rehomed several of the pups from her breedings - owners getting divoice, another owner lost their job and home, etc.

Too many dogs are coming from puppy mills and breeders who don't care about the breed. Breeding quality puppies is not a money-making operation.

There are variations within the breed - working lines and show lines. Some labs have long legs and slim bodies, the others have short legs and large bodies and heads. People who raise show dogs don't always work them. For example, the lab that would not hunt. Chance comes from working and show lines. Most of the Signature dogs have working titles, many have sheepherding titles as well as performance titles.

If the breeder does not show their dogs, the dogs are not rated against the breed standard. This makes it hard to judge the quality of the dog.

The more pouplar the breed, through TV, movies and large dog show winners, the more the public wants that breed. In some ways, I am glad that the Belgian Sheepdogs are near the bottom of the popularty list, we don't want to ruin the breed.

The old-time German Shepherd Dogs were more or less square. The sloping back and angled hocks is somewhat new. I don't like it. There are some folks who are breeding away from that trend. Good for them.

The main thing for dog breeding is to produce a healthy, happy dog that can do the work for which he/she is designed to do. The "work" can be a family pet, hunting dog, show dog, earth dog, sheep herding dog, service dog, a combination of the above or whatever.