Stereo Question [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Stereo Question

MASKofHAYABUSA
05-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to split the aux in behind the head unit on the stereo? I want to install an Archos Jukebox that plugs directly into the head unit with its wires hidden and still leaves my Aux in free. What is the type of plug in the back of the head unit for the Aux in?? Is it a din that will split with a Y adapter? Please let me know. Thanks

medic4lee
05-29-2003, 12:24 PM
yes there are five wires one is Left+ one is Right+ one is common ground and the last two need to be connected together to ingage the AUX option Im not sure of the colors or the order but i do know that the two that need to be connected together are next to each other on the plug and they are either the last two or the first two( the plug behind the AUX plugin not the plug on the back of the radio)

eMass
05-29-2003, 12:45 PM
[quote:4238dfc09c="MASKofHAYABUSA"]Does anyone know if it is possible to split the aux in behind the head unit on the stereo? I want to install an Archos Jukebox that plugs directly into the head unit with its wires hidden and still leaves my Aux in free. What is the type of plug in the back of the head unit for the Aux in?? Is it a din that will split with a Y adapter? Please let me know. Thanks[/quote:4238dfc09c]

Believe it or not, there are 5 wires going to that AUX plug!

You may have problems doing what you want to do because of the multiple audio sources competing for the same line. There are automatic home audio switch boxes that will switch over to what ever source is the most recent to provide a signal but I'm not personally aware of anything like that for car audio.

I do know that certain car audio head unit manufacturers like kenwood allow you to split thier aux jack and provide a number of virtual aux jacks in conjunction with a commad module but that's pretty high end stuff.

Of course, you could aways manually turn off one source when you want to switch to another but from your post it looks like you want to hide the archos itself away so in the end it looks like I'd need more info about what you are trying to accomplish in order to answer your question.

1. How will you control the archos functions?
2. Do you plan to permanantly mount the archos?

In general, what do you hope to accomplish?

eMass
05-29-2003, 12:45 PM
[quote:a4e279eb9a="MASKofHAYABUSA"]Does anyone know if it is possible to split the aux in behind the head unit on the stereo? I want to install an Archos Jukebox that plugs directly into the head unit with its wires hidden and still leaves my Aux in free. What is the type of plug in the back of the head unit for the Aux in?? Is it a din that will split with a Y adapter? Please let me know. Thanks[/quote:a4e279eb9a]

Believe it or not, there are 5 wires going to that AUX plug!

You may have problems doing what you want to do because of the multiple audio sources competing for the same line. There are automatic home audio switch boxes that will switch over to what ever source is the most recent to provide a signal but I'm not personally aware of anything like that for car audio.

I do know that certain car audio head unit manufacturers like kenwood allow you to split thier aux jack and provide a number of virtual aux jacks in conjunction with a commad module but that's pretty high end stuff.

Of course, you could aways manually turn off one source when you want to switch to another but from your post it looks like you want to hide the archos itself away so in the end it looks like I'd need more info about what you are trying to accomplish in order to answer your question.

1. How will you control the archos functions?
2. Do you plan to permanantly mount the archos?

In general, what do you hope to accomplish?

Vittee
05-29-2003, 01:49 PM
I have the same request. I have a neo car jukebox (a hard disk jukebox for mp3 files). See my install photos:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vitbeep/lst?.dir=/Honda+Element/Neo+Car+Jukebox

Currently I have a phono jack coming out of my glove box and going into the aux port on the dash. I would love to hide this behind the dash and still have the aux port available for MD and other MP3 devices.

I hope someone has a good solution.

Thanks

CapnMack
05-29-2003, 02:05 PM
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'm working on some content for this forum where all of the special plugs, wiring harnesses and specifications for the EX head and components are detailed and specified. This information will come from the Service Guide or Electrical Troubleshooting Guide, which I'll have in my hands in a few days. Stay tuned.

CapnMack

MASKofHAYABUSA
05-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Basically I just want to be able to split the aux in and be able to keep my Aux plug in(passanger dash) free if I ever need to use it for something else. Also I just planned on turning the inputs on and off manually. Nothing real fancy, I just want to be able to have a place to plug in my archos that has hidden wires while at the same time keep the Aux in(passanger dash) free.

eMass
05-30-2003, 09:52 PM
[quote:1871f62477="MASKofHAYABUSA"]Basically I just want to be able to split the aux in and be able to keep my Aux plug in(passanger dash) free if I ever need to use it for something else. Also I just planned on turning the inputs on and off manually. Nothing real fancy, I just want to be able to have a place to plug in my archos that has hidden wires while at the same time keep the Aux in(passanger dash) free.[/quote:1871f62477]

So forgive me for pushing the issue further but is'nt the whole point of having an archos jukebox mainly portability - the fact that you move it in and out of your car constantly so you can upload files from your computer, go on a a hike, etc.?

Also, if you wil manually switch sources to select what's producting the sound, then how much more difficult would it be to swap one jack for another? It accomplishes exactly the same thing.

I guess my point is that the wire will never really be hidden when the unit is in use in the car and your source switching will be a manual process anyway so why bother?:?

If you're really hung up on making sure the AUX jack is free just dig some of the change out of your sofa, drive down to Radio Shack and buy a splitter like the one below to keep in your glove box!:lol:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/xcom_1742_3684526

Again, If you would like more advice, please be more specific. I'm sure we'd all be happy to help. :D

MASKofHAYABUSA
05-31-2003, 03:57 PM
HIDDEN WIRES!!!! Thats my goal. I know a freakin Y adapter will work, but I want to be able to put the Y adapter behind the dash. and HIDE the wires. And with the Wires HIDDEN. I will run one to my Archos to plug in and unplug as I please. If you dont get it......I cant explain it any better. Basically I dont want the wire hanging out like the guy that posted the pic earlier in the post. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out and I appreciate all of you guys that are trying to help me out :D Thanks!

eMass
05-31-2003, 04:03 PM
[quote:bb81578752="MASKofHAYABUSA"]HIDDEN WIRES!!!! Thats my goal. I know a freakin Y adapter will work, but I want to be able to put the Y adapter behind the dash. and HIDE the wires. And with the Wires HIDDEN. I will run one to my Archos to plug in and unplug as I please. If you dont get it......I cant explain it any better. Basically I dont want the wire hanging out like the guy that posted the pic earlier in the post. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out and I appreciate all of you guys that are trying to help me out :D Thanks![/quote:bb81578752]

Hey - no need to yell - just trying to help. :shock:

The simple question was - How in the world will you "hide the wire" if you aren't also hiding the unit? If you can see, touch, hold, and access the unit to control the playback of mp3's then won't the wire be sticking out too?

If you can just answer that question I think it will clarify what it is you're trying to accomplish. :D

MASKofHAYABUSA
06-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Ok.......I'll give it one more shot........I re-read my posts and I see that I didnt fully explain....I feel a little LD and a little rude :oops: .....so here it goes again....

I want to find away to run a cable from the aux behind the dash to the steering coloumn...I want the cable hidden behind the dash and coming out of the steering coloumn, above the fusebox. The reason I want to do this is to keep the Archos on the drivers side of the E and at the same time keep my aux input plug free. Thats why I want to split the Aux input behind the dash and hide the wire running to the steering coloumn behind the dash.

I hope this explains it a little more. If not.......I guess I give up on trying to type it. I'm not one with written words......I could explain it much better in person. And Thanks again for everyone trying to help me out!!! Its very appreciated :D

eMass
06-01-2003, 02:34 PM
[quote:2b716a45f0="MASKofHAYABUSA"]Ok.......I'll give it one more shot........I re-read my posts and I see that I didnt fully explain....I feel a little LD and a little rude :oops: .....so here it goes again....

I want to find away to run a cable from the aux behind the dash to the steering coloumn...I want the cable hidden behind the dash and coming out of the steering coloumn, above the fusebox. The reason I want to do this is to keep the Archos on the drivers side of the E and at the same time keep my aux input plug free. Thats why I want to split the Aux input behind the dash and hide the wire running to the steering coloumn behind the dash.

I hope this explains it a little more. If not.......I guess I give up on trying to type it. I'm not one with written words......I could explain it much better in person. And Thanks again for everyone trying to help me out!!! Its very appreciated :D[/quote:2b716a45f0]

OK, that makes sense now. :D

You know, it would be really slick if you had another female aux jack coming out of the dash cubby on the left of the driver's side and then a very short cable just for connecting the archos up.

Another idea would be instead of the second female aux jack would be just a small hole nicely trimmed out with a nice looking trim grommet around it and then the end of the male cable sticking out of it so the cable can't fall back into the dash. Then leave enough cable slack behind the dash so that you can freely pull the unit out and use it comfortably. When you're done, just feed the wire back in until only the plug is left sticking out.

Just get yourself an 8' length of headphone cable with at least 1 male end on it, snip the other end off. Drill the hole in the passenger side dash and fit with grommet.

Then insert the cut end of the wiring into the grommet hole and snake wiring all the way over to the factory aux jack. Connect the ends up and test your archos in both jacks to make sure they both still work.

Solder and heat shrink all the wires back up and re-insert the factory aux jack.

From underneath the steering column pull the aux cable slack until there is only a little slack left then find a place underneath the dash to wire tie the wire to so it wil sty put behind dash but still allow some slack to be pulled out of the hole in the dash.

Just an idea but does that make sense?

Here's a pic of an aux jack that could be easily mounted up to your dash if you decide to go that way instead:
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/090-317m.jpg

Also, here's a link to a great place to buy all of the cables and small electrical and audio components you might need...

http://www.partsexpress.com

MASKofHAYABUSA
06-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks so much....that is a great idea!! Also I was going to install another cigarette lighter in the fuse panel. So that way I can run the power adapter of the Archos there also...Cant wait till I get it done.....I'll post some pictures...Thanks again for your help! :D

hunterbase
06-01-2003, 11:33 PM
now that you are making sense Hiyabusa, that's a pretty cool idea. As is your improvement on it, eMass. I might just have to try it myself one of these days, thanks!